Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United777
Topic Author

Twa = America West ????

Tue Mar 23, 1999 8:43 am

There is a rumor going around that Trans World Airlines (TWA) will try to merge with America West Airlines, did anybody hear anything about this, what do you think about it true or false?

Farhan Ali. Newport Beach, California

FedEx

RE: Twa = America West ????

Tue Mar 23, 1999 11:09 am

Yah I heard it too! I think UAL still has the
best chance with AWA. Look for another
offer by summer season begins!

Tue Mar 23, 1999 11:17 am

I really don't think that UAL has any chance for getting HP. Even if HP decided to allow a competitor to purchase it, UAL would never pass the anti-trust approval process. AA got through that very quickly because they have very little overlap with the QQ system, but UA is already such a major player in the west that they would not get permission from the government to purchase HP.

CX747

Tue Mar 23, 1999 11:41 am

This is personal speculation but I think AWA will go it alone. They are highly profitable and control Phoenix market which is lucrative. The are receiving A319s and continue to expand their 737-300 and A320-200 fleet. I am not sure about their 757-200s though.

Tue Mar 23, 1999 3:13 pm

IF, only IF, TWA+AWA, Then the resultant is = to high potential energy to grow to a size of Delta or American. Why? Here is my theory:

a) Imagine a map in front of you, then link up Phoenix, Las Vegas, St. Louis, and JFK. The hub system seems quite favorable for a major to rise. PHX and LAS are the big potential daggers on UA's westcoast cash cow; STL has high potential to inflict injuries on UA and AA at ORD; JFK is the jewel of the eastcoast, needless to say, even will be overshadowed by AA and DL, at least UA has almost nothing there.

b) The hub system at least makes more sense than the one Northworst has.

However, there are always problems:

a) Don't know how, but I know somehow the unions are going to yell over something.

b) Almost nothing similar in their fleet.

c) Need a hub between STL and the west hubs, somewhere around DEN, Colorado Springs (nice facilities for hub operations) should be a good place to pick a fight against UA at DEN.

d) Maybe a hub at Nashville and pick a fight against Southwest and Delta.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos