Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9lflyguy
Topic Author

CommutAir To Close CLE Crew Base And MX

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm

Just heard through a good source that Cleveland based UAX operator, CommutAir (C5), will be closing it's CLE crew base and MX facilities starting in June of this year. The CLE aircraft will be redeployed to the IAD and EWR operations. The MX facilities will be slowly relocated to ALB. It appears that the operational headquarters will remain in CLE for the time being. This was expected with UA's announcement of CLE's dehubbing.

First, my heart goes out to the CLE based employees, many of which will be forced to make a tough decision. All employees are being offered relocation assistance.

For discussion, with the redeployment of the aircraft, all Dash 8 Q200 and Q300 models, could we see new routes or would we expect increased frequency on current markets. Also, could we see CommutAir Dash 8s operaring out of other UA hubs? ORD and IAH come to mind with smaller markets. I think IAH would be great with the loss of Colgan Air's Saab flying. What do my fellow A.netters think?

Cubsrule

RE: CommutAir To Close CLE Crew Base And MX

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:30 am

Quoting 9lflyguy (Thread starter):
Also, could we see CommutAir Dash 8s operaring out of other UA hubs? ORD and IAH come to mind with smaller markets. I think IAH would be great with the loss of Colgan Air's Saab flying. What do my fellow A.netters think?

I don't think C5 (which is a lovely airline, btw) has a large enough fleet to meaningfully serve more than 2 or 3 hubs, and the trouble with operating the Q200/Q300 is that there's not a lot of opportunity to grow with those types.

KarlB737

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:46 am

could we see CommutAir Dash 8s operaring out of other UA hubs? ORD and IAH come to mind with smaller markets.

In February it was announced that the CLE flights to FNT would cease June 4th and then it would be switched to ORD starting June 5th. Here is the story on the subject:

Courtesy: MLive - February 3, 2014

Cleveland Out In Favor Of More Chicago Routes From Flint For United, Says Bishop Official

"Although United's announcement to no longer operate a hub in Cleveland came as a surprise to some, Corfman said Bishop and airline representatives have been talking about potential service fallout since the merger of United and Continental Airlines in 2010."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...ishop_airport_official_says_u.html

[Edited 2014-04-27 18:49:05]

RyanairGuru

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 am

could we see CommutAir Dash 8s operaring out of other UA hubs? ORD and IAH come to mind with smaller markets.

I think if ORD was likely it would have happened by now, as they could easily route the aircraft to and from the CLE base via a secondary market in Ohio or Indiana but chose not to.

IAH would have to be out. C5 don't have the scale to have multiple bases (especially for mx) all across the country, and routing a Dash 8 from IAH to IAD would be a pain. Theoretically it could do something like IAH-BNA-IAD, but I don't think that UA would want to use them on sectors that are that long.

FlyHossD

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:35 am

For discussion, with the redeployment of the aircraft, all Dash 8 Q200 and Q300 models, could we see new routes or would we expect increased frequency on current markets.

As a "flip-side" to your question, I recently had a conversation with a ExpressJet Check Airman who claimed that XJT would soon be the only UAX carrier in CLE. Take it for what it's worth...

n797mx

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:39 am

Being at KSU I know a bunch of guys who just were hired by C5 within the past few months through the bridge agreement. I hate to see what will happen to them.

bjorn14

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Who do you think will takeover their C5's MX hangar?

sldispatcher

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Also, could we see CommutAir Dash 8s operaring out of other UA hubs? ORD and IAH come to mind with smaller markets. I think IAH would be great with the loss of Colgan Air's Saab flying. What do my fellow A.netters think?

Had you suffered through years of the burning heatness in those SAAB's during Deep South summers (which last 8 months) you would not be wishing something like that on your own worst enemy.

coairman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:55 pm

In my opinion, as a person very familiar with Commutair, the airline which operates as United Express, places a bad reputation on United. Commutair has terrible performance. High cancellation and maintenance delay rates. I think United should have terminated the contract. No offense to the employees of C5, but the airline tarnishes United's image and UA is in no position for any more tarnishing. Commutair has great employees and my heart goes out to them to the ones that are losing their jobs because they can't relocate or are have to move to an expensive base far from their families.

[Edited 2014-04-28 06:00:07]

kcrwflyer

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:28 pm

I've already seen some Q200 routes becoming Q300 routes in the IAD schedules this summer. I'm sure some of the really short jet routes from EWR/IAD will also be moved over to the dash 8 where able.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 6):

"Nobody" is always a possibility.

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 2):
In February it was announced that the CLE flights to FNT would cease June 4th and then it would be switched to ORD starting June 5th. Here is the story on the subject:

Expressjet

Quoting coairman (Reply 8):

In my opinion, as a person very familiar with Commutair, the airline which operates as United Express, places a bad reputation on United. Commutair has terrible performance. High cancellation and maintenance delay rates. I think United should have terminated the contract.

That said, which regional should they keep? I

DashTrash

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Quoting n797mx (Reply 5):
I hate to see what will happen to them.

They'll go to whatever base their seniority can hold.

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 9):
That said, which regional should they keep? I

None.

coairman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Quoting kcrwflyer (Reply 9):

I think UA should keep expressjet as their main United Express carrier. Expressjet seems much more reliable than other regional carriers. I don't know much about skywest.

Ua is already on the move on tge FNT market. Substituting out FNT-CLE Comuttair flying with Expressjet FNT-ORD flying. That is a step in the right direction.  

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Quoting coairman (Reply 11):
I think UA should keep expressjet as their main United Express carrier. Expressjet seems much more reliable than other regional carriers. I don't know much about skywest.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that XE is "more reliable" than anybody; in February, 2014, XE had the highest rate of cancellations and delays of any reporting carrier, cancelling or delaying more than half of its scheduled flights.

masseybrown

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 6):

Constant Aviation (part of the growing Directional Aviation Capital group of companies) would certainly be a candidate.

kcrwflyer

Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Quoting coairman (Reply 11):
I think UA should keep expressjet as their main United Express carrier. Expressjet seems much more reliable than other regional carriers.

That's not the case. They have the same problems any other regional does... sometimes exacerbated by their own devices.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):
I don't know where you are getting the idea that XE is "more reliable" than anybody; in February, 2014, XE had the highest rate of cancellations and delays of any reporting carrier, cancelling or delaying more than half of its scheduled flights.

Impressive.

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 10):
None.

Lol

flyinryan99

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Let's be honest here...with only 20+ aircraft and spread over 3 hubs, how does anyone really think any airline can run a real reliable operation? I would think they would run a much better op with only 2 hubs, even better with one.

I just don't get how mainline carriers think that regionals can spread themselves so thin and expect a reliable operation...I think this is a good thing to consolidate down for C5.

9lflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Quoting coairman (Reply 8):
Had you suffered through years of the burning heatness in those SAAB's during Deep South summers (which last 8 months) you would not be wishing something like that on your own worst enemy.

As an ex-Colgan crew member who was based on IAH. I know what it was like first hand. The Q300 has an APU which would help a bit in IAH but I must agree that it's highly unlikely.

INFINITI329

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 pm

What if C5 takes over the UAX q400s from Republic which would free up Republic to do more e jet flying for UA?

9lflyguy
Topic Author

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:15 pm

I doubt C5 wants the Q4. That plane is a hot mess MX hog. I think Republic's completion factor their first month with the 400 was under 50 %

crj900lr

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 am

Quoting flyinryan99 (Reply 15):
I just don't get how mainline carriers think that regionals can spread themselves so thin and expect a reliable operation

Because the schedule is submitted to the regional by the mainline carrier and after some tweaking it goes back to the mainline carrier for approval. Regionals will bend over backwards and basically say "ok" to any schedule that is given to them so they don't lose the business. In the end most of the time you get a crappy product from most of the regionals because when they were looking at it on paper it seemed good but once it was put into motion they finally saw where the issues would be. Every regional goes through it, only some are better then others at actually fixing the problems they incur.

flyinryan99

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 19):

I'm not an airline planner/scheduler but even to look on paper that you have 3 hubs of flying and less than 30 aircraft just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'm not just blaming the regionals here, it's the major carrier's dumb decision too. It just doesn't make business sense to me, but I guess that's why I'm not in the airline industry much anymore....

coairman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 12):

Cubsrule......All I am saying is from my personal experience with XE and C5, on a regular basis, C5 cancels alot of flights due to maintenance much more frequently than expressjet. In addition to cancellations, 20-90 minute maintenance delays are way too common during a turn.

Can someone find performance stats on the web for C5 vs. XE?

[Edited 2014-04-30 04:45:35]

as739x

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 4):
As a "flip-side" to your question, I recently had a conversation with a ExpressJet Check Airman who claimed that XJT would soon be the only UAX carrier in CLE. Take it for what it's worth...

That not exactly hard to accomplish. We are going to be running under 50 flights per day and still maintaining the same mainline service (around 25). So that only leave around 20-25 flights for a Regional.

That being said, I can see the SkyWest E175's being deployed into CLE. But with SkyWest/ExpressJet technically the same company, your check airman will be right.

Quoting 9lflyguy (Reply 16):
As an ex-Colgan crew member who was based on IAH. I know what it was like first hand. The Q300 has an APU which would help a bit in IAH but I must agree that it's highly unlikely.

God please no more props in IAH. That was hell.

What year were you doing that flying? My wife was IAH F/A for a while with Colgan.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos