Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Transferring At O'Hare - Question

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 pm

Hey there. My mother is flying to visit me and for some odd reason, she decided to buy a ticket that has her arriving at ORD and leaving from MDW (Why in the world she did this, I don't know....cheapest ticket out there I guess). She's arriving with KLM from AMS, so I'm assuming she'll be in Terminal 5, and has to make her way to the Bus Center where she'll take Coach USA Wisconsin to MDW. It looks to me like she'd take the ATS from T5 to either T1, 2, or 3, and then walk from there to the bus center.

Is there anybody here who has done this, and could give me more exact directions, to make it as easy as possible for her.

Thanks,
Kai

ordpia

RE: Transferring At O'Hare - Question

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:18 pm

As you said she is going to have to take the ATS to 1,2, or 3. I am only familiar with the procedure at T1, once she arrives at T1 she will have to take the elevator or escalator down three levels, there will be signs for the bus center, it is located in the same building as short term parking(these signs are a bit more frequent) once she is in the tunnel level its a bit of a walk to the next set of elevators that will take her back up to the bus center/parking, its possible to walk from T1,2,3 to the buses but I wouldn't recommend it with the weather we currently have.
Hope this helps,
ORDPIA

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks ORDPIA.

I forgot to mention that since they have to get their luggage at ORD, whatever terminal means the shortest walk is where they'll go. Doesn't matter how many stops the tram makes really.

chase

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:56 am

I wouldn't advise to do this instead of the bus, but if the bus fails, here is another option: Take the blue line of Chicago's light rail system from ORD to downtown. Then transfer to the orange line, which goes to MDW. Will take a long time, though.

KaiGywer
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 3):
I wouldn't advise to do this instead of the bus, but if the bus fails, here is another option: Take the blue line of Chicago's light rail system from ORD to downtown. Then transfer to the orange line, which goes to MDW. Will take a long time, though.

The bus is only $14 and runs every hour, so it's the most flexible for her. They have about 5 hours from they land in ORD until they leave MDW. Tickets are already bought for the bus

chase

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:52 am

Yeah, the bus definitely makes more sense. I was just saying if for some reason the bus is cancelled, the train is an option. I didn't realize she had 5 hours, though, and could just take the next bus if the first one has a problem.

ChicagoFlyer

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:53 am

I fly from ORD all the time, but I must confess I have not used the airport shuttle.

The procedure at T5 is as follows (like all other US airports):
1) Plane arrives
2) Clear immigration
3) Get bags
4) Clear customs

I have seen signs for the bus center but do not know for sure where it is.

5) Take ATS (it's right at the arrivals hall, just need to take the escalator up) to connect to the bus... wherever the pick up is. It's true that the bus/shuttle center signs are everywhere.

The shuttle info is here:
http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/groundtransohare/shuttlesohare.shtm

Perhaps call Coach USA at
1-877-324-7767 for more info on pickup location.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos