Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Forum too crowded?

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:19 am

Hello All,

As you might have noticed, the discussion forum has become a pretty hip place to hang out in and no one is more happy about that than me.

But with new topics popping up more and more frequently, old topics disappear equally fast. Sometimes posts don't get a fair chance to be read and replied to as it's too quickly pushed back into the archives to clear the space for newer posts. I wonder if it might be time to split this General Aviation Discussion into two (or more)?

I'm very interested to hear your opinions about this. If you belive splitting it would be a good idea, the big problem would be how to split it. What areas of discussion would it be split into?

One example could be to have one Airline related discussion and one Aircraft related. I belive that would probably be a poor choice though as many posts deal with both airlines and their aircraft. So what would be a better choice? Please take some time to consider what you think would be best. Or maybe we should keep it as it is?

Please let me know your thoughts on the subject.

Regards,
Johan Lundgren
Editor Airliners.net

RE: Forum too crowded?

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:41 am

I think it is fine. Every post gets the best answer possible even if everyone does not get to answer it. I think breaking it into 2 froums one would be full and the other one would be empty. I also feel that we would go to both anyway so it makes no difference. I like it how it is and ebjoy the challenge to stay on top of it!!
Thanks for the concern.
Sincerely
Iain

FedEx

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:42 am

I think one forum should be
for Commercial Aviation and
one for General (Civil ect..) .
Just a thought! keep up the good work! Johan!

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:48 am

I would like to say sorry to anyone I have affended. Also, I think they should lisdtd posts by the day.

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:52 am

FAUnited7 wrote:
-------------------------------
I would like to say sorry to anyone I have affended.

I do not think you have affended anyone!! I think your post are nice adn to the point and I enjoy you reading your posts!
Iain

L-188

Thu Jan 21, 1999 10:55 am

Actually you have a pretty good site Johan. I wouldn't change much.

FAUnited7 if anything I am the guy offending people. If I haven't yet then you don't know me.

RE: L-188/Fa united

Thu Jan 21, 1999 11:01 am

I think I have got more people mad at me on this site then anyone else.
Iain

L-188

RE: We should get a pool going

Thu Jan 21, 1999 11:07 am

maybe we should get a pool going. With the pool going to getting the winner gate admmision to Oskosh, Pima or the Boeing musuem or something.

RE: We should get a pool going

Thu Jan 21, 1999 11:10 am

That is a good idea but I think people here are to young to pay $100 for a ticket and some parents might not let them go! But if you are going to do it count me in I would love to go to Oshkosh as long as don't have summer school at that time!
Iain

flyf15

RE: How about this?

Thu Jan 21, 1999 12:13 pm

Instead of breaking the forum up, why not just make it easier to read? Why not just display the main topics, and if you click on them it displays the responses (kinda like a directory tree thing). Then we could fit many, many more main topics on the main page.

Thu Jan 21, 1999 12:20 pm

Maybe you should extend the space provided for the messages...because people(including myself)rarely go more than 2 days prior to read past posts and VERY seldomly will respond knowing noone will reply or see what they have to say.
Secondly....As I have seen with the Flightsim.com forums, they were all split up and there really is only ONE dominant forum(FS98 forum), if you submit a message in one of the others...it may take weeks to be aswered, let alone looked at.
I like the response time on this forum..sometimes you can recieve feedback in a minute or 2.
So, if I were you, I would just extend the space provided so more people will read and reply w/out worrying about the waste of time & effort.
Philip Pecoulas(CapK)

L1011

Thu Jan 21, 1999 1:55 pm

I like the idea of one forum for commercial aviation and one for general aviation. During the week, I can usually only log on after I get home from work, and many of the posts I haven't read are already a couple of pages back. I read those, but like someone already said, I seldom respond to those because they might not be read.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA

will

Thu Jan 21, 1999 2:02 pm

G'day Johan.
l agree with most that say this forum should be left as it is for the time being. Every answer seems to get a response within a short period of time, and as said sometimes even minutes. l feel that breaking it up will cause some minor problems by people getting confused or misunderstanding, and also there is the possibilty of one forum getting over crowed.
l'd like to thank you for asking the members of this forum for ideas on changes, as you would expect this is a rare practise in this world nowerdays.
Many Thanks.
Keep up the good work.
See yah..
Will....

unitedair

Thu Jan 21, 1999 2:35 pm

I agree, I like the forum as is. I remember this question being asked the first time, and that time I said exactly what Iain said. The first will be crowded and the 2nd forum neglected. Thanks Johan.

B747

RE: How about this?

Thu Jan 21, 1999 7:20 pm

I agree with flyf15, have a main topic, and if it is of interest to anyone than they can click on it to expand to the responses. It would allow the topics to stay on one page for many days. As always, keep up the great work !!

FlyF15 has...

Fri Jan 22, 1999 12:22 am

...got it right, I think. Yeah, that way topics would stay much longer.

You decide, Johan...
Good work,
Good Luck!

Alexander Alexeyev
Edinburgh, Scotland

David

Fri Jan 22, 1999 6:55 am

I think that we should still have one, but have the page longer.....the page only hods about i would say 50 or so lines. maybe it can be doubled so people didnt have to go back and forth through older pages as frequently

Fri Jan 22, 1999 10:18 pm

I agree. One for Commercial aviation and one for General aviation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos