Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

South West Airlines

Wed Jan 20, 1999 1:16 pm

Why does south west only fly 737s? Have they ever flown anything else? if so what kind of plane?

And does any know if they plan to buy other types of planes? { like 757s or A320, A319] because i think that the a320 family is better than the 737s because they are not as noisy.{ that is only my oppinion..]

RE: South West Airlines

Wed Jan 20, 1999 1:26 pm

Southwest concept is to get people from a to b cheaply and safely. the 737 has proven that the 757 and 320 are very expensive. If they had other planes apart from the 737 they would have to pay different machanics, train more pilots, and FA's, Ramp rats, have different stuff ect. Which all cost so it is cheaper to stay with one plane. But they are quiet a good airline and really nice to there pilots.
Iain

Cody

Wed Jan 20, 1999 1:30 pm

To keep maintenance and training costs down. yes they have flown 727-200's on two occassions. and a leased DC-9 from Muse Air but I don't think it was painted like southwest. they also owned md-80s when they bought Muse Air but they called it transtar

Wed Jan 20, 1999 1:47 pm

well i also wanted to say that i have been on south west and they are a pretty good airline. But all they gave was a orange juice and crackers. There prety good airline.

FedEx

RE: SouthWorst Airlines and a bird!

Wed Jan 20, 1999 4:46 pm

Cheap Cheap Cheap Cheap Cheap Cheap!! That's
what the little birdy said when it flew over the
Oakland Southworst terminal. hehe I have
heard they treat their customers real well and
their employess too. But I just can't get myself to
get on that hot dog,puke,eye sore,not worth the
film 737! I also don't want to be a cow for a day!
I want to be able to pick my seat and enjoy the
flight with out the circus circus trying out on my
flight! I also don't want to be next to the lady who
has had two hip replacments and anyother surgury
you can think of asking me what my name is and where
I came from every other minute! I do like the California
and the Lone Star paint jobs! I know that allot of FedEx
pilots out here on the west coast fly SW from OAK.
ACA320 welcome to airliners forum! Hope you stick around.

will

RE: Cheap , Cheap , Cheap.

Wed Jan 20, 1999 8:04 pm

G'day All.
To those who answered this, you are all %100 correct. First there is nothing wrong with the B737, it is just the best airliner to use for there operations, and it's good to see they treat all okay. But it's an airline for when it comes to service and comfort." You get what you pay for". Personally, while l still can, l spend the extra $$$$ for nice seats & service.. The great thing is that isn't it fantastic we all have the right to choose..
See yah..
Will..

L-188

one type airlines

Thu Jan 21, 1999 3:42 am

A lot of companies are seeing the wisdom in operating only one basic type. Southwest started the current trend and now we also have Reno Air with MD-80/90, Valujet with it's DC-9s, and even Alaska Airlines is moving to an all 737 fleet. I guess a lot of companies as starting to see the value in same type fleets.

AF777

RE: Southwest Airlines

Thu Jan 21, 1999 4:41 am

Hello, its my first time here. I don't see why anyone has a problem with Southwest. Yeah, the planes are ugly, but the seating is just as confortable as that on other domestic narrow-bodies. Plus, the service is great. They come through with coffee constantly, and they don't mess with airline food to keep the ticket prices low and the turn-around times quick. I was on a American MD-80 for 3 1/2 hours a month ago, and they came through the cabin once with a beverage, and soggy bananna bread shreads. Finally the 737 is a reliable plane, and it is very cheap comared to the a320. And yes they have operated planes other than the 737. Back in the mid-80's they leased a few 727-200's for about a year. Overall, Southwest has got a good thing going.

Thu Jan 21, 1999 4:43 am

The 737 stays with Southwest's phillosphy of keeping costs down. So thats why they have never flown anything else.

winair

Fri Jan 22, 1999 9:34 am

Southwest a long time ago had leased a few 727-200's. I dont think if they will puchase any other aircraft.

CX747

Sat Jan 23, 1999 1:32 am

The 737 is a very profitable and economical aircraft to operate. As we all know it is a great selling aircraft and that says alot about its capabalities in comparison to the A320. Southwest has a good thing going and should continue on its course.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos