Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa737
Topic Author

Traffic Rights

Mon Nov 22, 1999 7:32 am

What exactly are traffic Rights? I have read that Airlines will have traffic rights from one city to the other, but what are they and how is it decided which airlines get which traffic right? Are they used to limit the number of flights between certain countries?

Al

RE: Traffic Rights

Mon Nov 22, 1999 10:45 am

The Governments of two Countries determine traffic rights between each other - commonly known as Bilaterals or Air Services Agreements. There are several different sorts of rights known as "Freedoms". The most common freedom is the one that allows "X" amount of carriers from each country to directly serve point(s) in the other country. Frequency, seat number limits and the such are agreed to at these meetings. There are other Freedoms, which can involve one country allowing carriers from another country to pick up and carry pax from their country to a third country via the second country. As for allocation of the rights in a multi carrier country, the Government usually has a department that decides who gets what pending on applications. The two probably most contentious bi-laterals that are always the scene of heated debate are the bilaterals between the USA and Japan and the one between the USA and the UK. The first involves the massive amount of fifth-freedom traffic the U.S. carriers are allowed beyond Japan, which the Japanese don't like, and the second has the contentious issue of access to Heathrow as it's stumbling block. When meetings are scheduled between these countries involved on Air Services Agreements, there's usually fireworks, bluff and counter bluff, threats, tears and all round good times!
Hope this has helped a little bit.
Cheers. Al.

Mon Nov 22, 1999 3:47 pm

If I recall correctly, these are the five main freedoms of international air service:

1) The right to overfly a foreign nation without landing.

2) The right to land in a foreign nation for fuel or emergencies, but with no right to drop off or pick up passengers there.

3) The right to carry passengers from an airline's home nation to a foreign nation.

4) The right to carry passengers from one foreign country to another by way of the airline's home country (i.e. AA can carry passengers from Brazil to Japan through DFW).

5) The right to carry passengers between two foreign countries (i.e. UA flies from Tokyo to other Asian cities)

There is also the issue of cabotage, which is the carriage of passengers on domestic flights within a foreign country (i.e. if BA were to pick up passengers in Phoenix and drop them off in San Diego).

This is what I seem to remember the rights to be from reading a Vantage Point by Crandall some time ago, so I may have made some mistakes after all this time. Feel free to correct me if any of these are wrong.

Mon Nov 22, 1999 3:53 pm

Does anyone know how American carriers like PanAm and TWA were able to operate such massive "fifth-freedom" European operations during the 70's and 80's? I know that both operated 727's for regional service through hubs at FRA and FCO, but wasn't there some sort of protest on behalf of the EU or something?

--HZ-AKF

flyf15

Mon Nov 22, 1999 4:02 pm

So, with 4th and 5th freedom rights, all contries involved must grant the airline these freedoms before they can exercise them right?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos