Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

American B757
Topic Author

Charter Companies

Tue Oct 05, 1999 10:01 am

My internet was all messed up at my house so i came down here to the library to use the computer.....

Anyways,

Are charter airlines aircraft uncomfortable? If so a lot or just a bit? also how is service?

Thanks,

RE: Charter Companies

Tue Oct 05, 1999 10:13 am

I think that the answer really depends on many factors. Just saying are charter companies comfortable is really broad. The things that we need to take in in order to answer this question are:

1. Which charter airline? Is this airline regularly scheduled, or is it totally a charter?

2. How much did this trip cost (opt)?

3. What company is chartering the airline? (Royal carribean, Carnival, etc.)

4. How long and where to this trip is.

Jack

American B757
Topic Author

Lets Say ATA

Tue Oct 05, 1999 11:22 am

Lets say were talking about ATA.

AC_A340

RE: Lets Say ATA

Tue Oct 05, 1999 11:31 am

Pretty Much no leg room. But for the price you pay, its preety good. I've only been on Royal Airlines 757.

Wed Oct 06, 1999 2:13 am

In the UK Air 2000 are probably the best charter company, they've won a string of awards. Britannia are also very good.

The seating is cramped but not uncomfortable, I'm 6'1" tall and I've never thought it was much less comfortable than a scheduled flight. My longest nonstop segment on a charter flight was Orlando-Manchester nonstop overnight in 7h40min on an Air 2000 757 a few years ago with a seat pitch of 28".

This the standard for UK chater 757s with 233/235 seats. The A320/A321s with 180 or 220 seats have a pitch of 29" while the 767-300s with 326/327/328 seats have a pitch of 30".

Service onboard Air 2000 is excellent. On a 4h Manchester-Tenerife flight on a 757 departing at about 8am this is what you could expect.

Sweets are offered before takoff. After takeoff you can buy drinks from the bar. This is shortly followed by a hot cooked brakfast. Hot food is served on ALL Air 2000 flights. This is accompanied by orange juice, hot breadrolls and croissants. Afterwards you have a choice of tea, coffee or hot chocolate. To freshen up you get a hot scented cotton towel after the meal.

There is another bar service and duty free shopping service before landing. In adittion all Air 2000 aircraft have full IFE systems. There are 10 audio channels plus video entertainment. Movies are shown on all flights over 3h long, but on european flights you have to pay for the headphones (but you can keep them)

Service on the way home would be similar, but you are also offered a free choice of newspapers to catch up on events at home and since the meal would be dinner there's a separate liquer service.

On Long Haul 767 flights the entertainment is free, there's a choice of meals with a free bottle of wine, fresh fruit is offered after the meal and on night flights free hot chocolate is on offer at any time.

They are converting the 767-300s to a C38Y274 config. Up front the seats are wider with 35" of legroom and there are personal TV screens. The food is better, theres more choice and it's served on china, all the drinks are free and you get priority check-in, boarding and baggage handling.

The supplement is very low at £99 return to Florida or £149 return to the Caribbean. Britannia, Monarch and Airtours also offer their own versions of this service on some flights.

For more info on UK Charter airlines the majors have websites:-

www.air2000.com
www.britanniaairways.com
www.monarch-airlines.com

From what I've read in other threads it appears UK charters are offering superior service to the US majors at a fraction of the cost.

Craig

Wed Oct 06, 1999 5:30 am

Hi,

I would say Britannia are the best charter airline in the UK. They have a bright cabin interior and the cabin crew wear colourful uniforms. The cabin crew are usually very helpful and friendly. Britannia also don't charge for your headphones. (You are supposed to leave them on board but i usually take them home, along with a pillow and blanket.) I have been on Britannia 757's and 767's (going on one again on saturday) and I thought that they were quite comfortable. You get far better inflight enterainment than some scheduled airlines. The meals are usually disgusting though, whatever airline you travel with.

When I flew with Airtours to Orlando on a 767-300 i was seated in row 11 seat A (Just in front of the middle entry door). This was the worst seat I have ever sat in.
It didn't recline, 1 inch less legroom than everyone else, broken seat pocket, broken arm rest and no window. The flight was also full so i couldn't move. The seat was only a row away from the toilet, which happened to be broken along with one of the rear toilets, so only four left for 328 passengers. The flight was also delayed for 6 hours.
Other than my Airtours 767-300 experience I have enjoyed every other charter flight I have been on.

Craig Stewart
Scotland, UK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos