Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alan
Topic Author

Clumsy controls?

Sat Oct 31, 1998 3:54 am

I recently tried out FlightSim '98 for the first time.As most of you will probably know, there is a vast selection of civil aircraft to choose from.I decided to try out the Cathay Pacific Boeing 777.However, I found it quite hard to fly.Now you'll be thinking-"well,if you've never played it before of course it's hard!" However, I'm presently learning to fly a glider.If I wish to turn left, I just apply left rudder and aileron, and the glider responds straight away.If the game is anything like the real thing, then does this mean that much larger aircraft are slower at responding to our control movements? (The 777 only started banking left 5 seconds after I'd told it to do so!) Any comments?

Noel

RE: Clumsy controls?

Sat Oct 31, 1998 7:00 am

Yes, it will be MUCH slower than a glider. The larger the plane, the longer it takes to respond. Also, you must stop the turn sooner than you would in a glider. Some smaller jets like DC-9's have stubby wings so they roll faster. You'll find that airline pilots only use the rudders when an engine is out basically. Yaw damper is always on otherwise and makes sure the turn is coordinated for you. With the big, fast planes you must think far ahead. As they say, the 3 most important things is flying are the next 3 things! :-) With practice, you'll fly those irons with ease!

Noel Benford

RE: Clumsy controls?

Sun Nov 01, 1998 1:44 am

When it comes to realism in FS98, a lot of factors come into play. Your game controls for one. If you have a cheap joystick, you will have a tough time flying the planes. If the flight dynamics of the particular aircraft you are using are not well designed, it can get frustrating. It takes some time before even the best pilots succeed in transplanting their skills into the virtual cockpit. Some don't even manage at all. There are also some FS98 hotshots who have a tough time in the real thing. I guess it's all a matter of getting used to it.

If you have lousy controls, buy yourself something by CH, Thrustmaster or Microsoft and save yourself a lot of frustration. Master the default 737-300 in the program first. It's not necessarily the best-modeled plane I've flown on FS98, but at least you will be able to establish a baseline of what FS98 can do. With that, you can detect a lousy design the very first minute you are flying it. Trash it and move on. There must be a million other designs out there waiting for you!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos