WayexTDI

Re: Delta saves the day with free charter

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:35 pm

spinotter wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:
Its amazing to me how many people on here get their rocks off by trying to discredit a great effort by DL and their employees.

Exactly. DL is the airline people on a.net love to hate.

Did DL do this as pure philanthropy? No, of course. They will get great PR out of this, most likely much more than the actual cost of the flight.
But, at the end of the day, they helped a group of people who were stranded; and that's all that counts.

Wayex - I don't think that DL is the airline people love to hate on a.net. It has been UA and now more AA, but DL is the airline that people envy and emulate. Any company making double the others' has to be admired, right? But what percentage of the motivation was altruism, and what percentage profit motive? Hard to say outside the secret halls of ATL.

UA & AA have been mostly criticized for the facts that have drawn negative publicity to them (Dr Dao, etc...).
DL, on the other end, seems to be criticized for positive things they do: "it won't last", "it's just PR", etc.

At least, that how it transpires.
Disclaimer: yes, DL is my favorite airline, so maybe my opinion is biased.

Etheereal

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:35 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:
Its amazing to me how many people on here get their rocks off by trying to discredit a great effort by DL and their employees.

Did DL do this as pure philanthropy? No, of course. They will get great PR out of this, most likely much more than the actual cost of the flight.
But, at the end of the day, they helped a group of people who were stranded; and that's all that counts.

Not really. Here on a.net you'll get all kind of hate on airlines. AA fans will say people on a.net love to hate AA (and Doug), just as UA drones will swarm you if you dare talk badly about Polairs or Muñoz's stocks, etc.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

mcg

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A couple of points to include:

#1) if we are mentioning Eastern Airlines, then we are going back to the 80's, and one must remember that even in that first generation after deregulation, airplanes were NOT always flying full. There was something on one of the big three "Evening News", back at this time, about airline employees acting as "poachers", trying to convince passengers to change their tickets at the airport, for sport.

With Eastern Airlines operating on fumes at this point, with multiple cancellations all over the place, it is not surprising at all for Delta to poach customers.

In today's world, with planes already flying at near 100% capacity (when is the LAST time you didn't hear "we have a completely sold out flight today!" before boarding?), poaching customers isn't necessary. The front of the plane is full of very loyal customers, and the cargo holds are full, paying the bills, and the coach seats are usually gravy. There just isn't capacity to poach customers the way there used to be.

#2) Every "charitable" act, such as what Delta did, can be written off Delta's taxes in one way or another. It didn't "cost" Delta anything, really, except the re-arrangement of schedules and crew. The good will, however, they receive from this cannot be purchased with money.

#3) Am I correct that the east coast has been inundated with late-spring thunderstorms and voluminous amounts of rain, cancelling or delaying hundreds of flights in this time period? I can see how every airline might have planes and crews stuck at distant locations.

With regard to #2 above remember that the economic value of the tax write off is only equal to the cost of the service multiplied by Delta's marginal tax rate. Thus, if the rescue plane cost $100,000 and Delta has a marginal tax rate of 30%, the tax write off is only worth $30,000. To say "It didn't 'cost' Delta anything" is incorrect.

USAirKid

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Which Delta Connection carrier operated his flight?

jfern022

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Etheereal wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:

Not really. Here on a.net you'll get all kind of hate on airlines. AA fans will say people on a.net love to hate AA (and Doug), just as UA drones will swarm you if you dare talk badly about Polairs or Muñoz's stocks, etc.

When it comes to the other airlines, though like UA and AA, the negative feedback is generally warranted and is usually earned by the airline. When it comes to DL, it’s just jealousy. There are people here who have vendettas against DL, because they were left behind once on a flight or because Dal’s network department decided to cut 1 yearly frequency on a CR2 out of DTW. Some days I ponder how many SVP’s, VP’s and directors of airline operations are on here who live in their mothers basement.

SelseyBill

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm

....my personal 'feel good' Delta story comes from 1993, when my elderly mother had to visit Houston from London. Travelling home, she had booked a direct flight, which got cancelled, and she was waiting to get a flight via BOS or JFK. The wait went on for hours without assistance, when a Delta rep came over to her, and said that if it was OK with her, she would be re-directed onto Delta via ATL.

To her amazement, the kind young DL lady, not only helped her board the DL flight at IAH, but sat with her, and then helped her across ATL to the London flight, and even helped her check-in and board the LHR flight to her very seat.

I guess she was travelling home 'dead' from IAH to ATL for some reason anyways, but the customer service offered by DL then has stayed with our family ever since, and when we travel to or within the USA, we still all fly DL to this day.

Good service does pay-off in the end!!!!!

phlswaflyer

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:28 pm

bmw123 wrote:
On June 3rd. A group of OKC students heading to Washington for a class trip were left without a flight when their American Airlines flight was cancelled. The 41 students planned the class trip a year ago and were understandably quite disappointed.
Luckily Delta came to the rescue and sent a CRJ-900 from Atlanta to help out. Pretty amazing an airline would provide this charter flight in days when almost all airline publicity is negative.

https://news.delta.com/we-re-here-help- ... competitor

Wow! AA would never do something like this because Paker and Isom might lose a few pennies in compensation. To them, passengers are cattle and collateral damage to be dealt with.

iad51fl

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:29 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Which Delta Connection carrier operated his flight?

The one owned by Delta - Endeavor Air
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:20 pm

mcg wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A couple of points to include:

#1) if we are mentioning Eastern Airlines, then we are going back to the 80's, and one must remember that even in that first generation after deregulation, airplanes were NOT always flying full. There was something on one of the big three "Evening News", back at this time, about airline employees acting as "poachers", trying to convince passengers to change their tickets at the airport, for sport.

With Eastern Airlines operating on fumes at this point, with multiple cancellations all over the place, it is not surprising at all for Delta to poach customers.

In today's world, with planes already flying at near 100% capacity (when is the LAST time you didn't hear "we have a completely sold out flight today!" before boarding?), poaching customers isn't necessary. The front of the plane is full of very loyal customers, and the cargo holds are full, paying the bills, and the coach seats are usually gravy. There just isn't capacity to poach customers the way there used to be.

#2) Every "charitable" act, such as what Delta did, can be written off Delta's taxes in one way or another. It didn't "cost" Delta anything, really, except the re-arrangement of schedules and crew. The good will, however, they receive from this cannot be purchased with money.

#3) Am I correct that the east coast has been inundated with late-spring thunderstorms and voluminous amounts of rain, cancelling or delaying hundreds of flights in this time period? I can see how every airline might have planes and crews stuck at distant locations.

With regard to #2 above remember that the economic value of the tax write off is only equal to the cost of the service multiplied by Delta's marginal tax rate. Thus, if the rescue plane cost $100,000 and Delta has a marginal tax rate of 30%, the tax write off is only worth $30,000. To say "It didn't 'cost' Delta anything" is incorrect.

I will agree that that is the "above the board" tax definition; however, my implication is that "money flows" and an act of kindness is a great lubricant. Doesn't mean anything illegal is going on, but money flows, and even if it only comes down to increased business in the future, that initial cost will come back later, fully recovered. Basically pocket change to Delta...

Boof02671

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:23 pm

It wasn’t delta mainline it was a regional jet operator.

litz

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:59 pm

"When we see people in a bind, we don't see customers of one airline or another – we see people."

That, folks, is a great quote.

Miamiairport

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

This isn't simply a story of the good/bad airline. AA would have had to find a regional partner with a spare a/c and crew that could have flown to OKC, flown the students to RIC and then back into an ordinary rotation. It just so happens DL was able to make this happen and kudos for someone looking at a possibility and it being doable.

9w748capt

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
It wasn’t delta mainline it was a regional jet operator.

Yes, but it was the one owned by Delta — Endeavor. Which happens the be the worst of the sorry lot. As evidenced by Endeavor’s astounding 407 cancelled flights over the last 2 1/2 days. I don’t think their flight to get 41 people to Richmond is much consolation to the thousands they’ve left stranded since then.

You do realize the CRJs for all operators are having serious GPS issues?

Oh great. As if AA or the mechanics needed another excuse. Mutually assured destruction?

slowrambler

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

compensateme wrote:
It's a false narrative. By coincidence, DL was planning a repo into RIC to cover a cancelled flight from NYC. They decided to detour the flight to OKC and make some money (and publicity) off of it. No repo flight = no charter flight. It's a cool gesture by DL, but also a story being completely taken out of context on here.

Either this winter or last, DL stranded a group of Detroit-area high school band students traveling to perform at Walt Disney World. They ended up chartering a bus, because it would take days to accommodate the group onto "next available" seats. DL's second-largest hub. No "free" charter flight. Despite plenty of aircraft slack and undoubtedly crews available on standby. What a difference it makes when there's no planned repo flight!!!!!!

Exactly. DL is very, very good at spinning something like this, which they certainly would not have done had it compromised their schedules or cost them money, into this feel-good narrative of how only they care for customers. I have nothing against people liking Delta but would it kill them to be a little more sceptical of their press releases?

Boof02671

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Yes, but it was the one owned by Delta — Endeavor. Which happens the be the worst of the sorry lot. As evidenced by Endeavor’s astounding 407 cancelled flights over the last 2 1/2 days. I don’t think their flight to get 41 people to Richmond is much consolation to the thousands they’ve left stranded since then.

You do realize the CRJs for all operators are having serious GPS issues?

Oh great. As if AA or the mechanics needed another excuse. Mutually assured destruction?

Mainline mechanics DONT work RJs, they only work AA mainline metal and other airlines if an agreement is in place. And there are no mechanics in OKC for mainline, stop with the misinformation.

bugsbegone

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:19 pm

This incident reminded me of a thing Delta did last year. High School kids were sent by their school district to protest Delta's position on airport taxes that were being diverted to schools. Delta invited the students inside, provided them with free Chik Fil-A lunch and asked any of them if they wanted to be pilots. They need to hire 25,000 people in the next five years.

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/did-de ... portunity/

crjflyboy

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:29 pm

bugsbegone wrote:
This incident reminded me of a thing Delta did last year. High School kids were sent by their school district to protest Delta's position on airport taxes that were being diverted to schools. Delta invited the students inside, provided them with free Chik Fil-A lunch and asked any of them if they wanted to be pilots. They need to hire 25,000 people in the next five years.

The students had no idea of what they were protesting … they got of school for the day

DDR

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:40 pm

This site has become full of hate. Not just this thread but most threads. I really miss the posts from 10-15 years ago.

As for this thread, DL got those kids where they needed to be. Who cares why they did it, the fact is they DID it.

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:48 pm

DDR wrote:
This site has become full of hate. Not just this thread but most threads. I really miss the posts from 10-15 years ago.

As for this thread, DL got those kids where they needed to be. Who cares why they did it, the fact is they DID it.

The problem is not the praise of DL; DL performed a nice act. The problem is the bashing of AA as though a charter flight is something reasonable to expect when a flight is cancelled.

DDR

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 am

usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

The problem is not the praise of DL; DL performed a nice act. The problem is the bashing of AA as though a charter flight is something reasonable to expect when a flight is cancelled.

That’s what I’m getting at, the constant bashing. Doesn’t matter if it’s directed at AA, DL, WN, etc. We just didn’t have issues like this in the past.

AtomicGarden

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:34 am

Ziyulu wrote:
I'm not surprised. On my last flight with AA, I felt they handled the delay horribly. I was proactive and wanted to take an earlier flight and they wanted to charge a change fee.

I feel you. I was recently stranded at Houston for 10 hours, and while the gate agent rebooked me to SLC instead of JAC (at my request, because they didn't know where else to send me), when I asked her to delay my return one day (the day I lost) she said she couldn't. Then at SLC, another agent had to ask her supervisor to make the change; not because she was not authorised, but because she was hesitant about it.

WayexTDI wrote:
fjnovak1 wrote:

As a mid level employee, it also puts a smile on me when I know me decision has helped someone, even when it is commercially not the soundest decision.
usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

I can agree that if it wasn't for DL's offer, this wouldn't be much news to anyone, but many of us here have experienced bad handling of IROPS on AA's part.

9w748capt

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:03 am

DDR wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

That’s what I’m getting at, the constant bashing. Doesn’t matter if it’s directed at AA, DL, WN, etc. We just didn’t have issues like this in the past.

10-15 years ago 777s were still 9 abreast. Flying still remained a halfway decent method of transportation. Then Dougie took over AA.

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:08 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
He famous DL Red Coats

GF

Meh, “Red Coats” were present at most airlines; EA had them even before DL, I believe. They were usually classified as Lead Agents, frontline supervisory staff that could provide more assistance but weren’t management.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

9w748capt

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

Just curious - if the situation were reversed and DL had stranded the group, do you think AA would've swooped in to actually help out? No! Dougie would've flipped his **** at the thought of spending an extra dime to provide proper customer service. That's the main culture difference between AA and DL.

compensateme

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

9w748capt wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

Just curious - if the situation were reversed and DL had stranded the group, do you think AA would've swooped in to actually help out? No! Dougie would've flipped his **** at the thought of spending an extra dime to provide proper customer service. That's the main culture difference between AA and DL.

I'm not certain why some postings within this thread have been deleted, but let's try this again: it was a cool gesture by DL, but it was also a business opportunity. DL had already assembled a rescue flight to RIC to cover for the cancelled inbound flight (NYC) when the call for help came in. The collection of flight coupons would've been more than enough to offset the cost to detour to OKC. The students were happy and DL - which picked up some cash and positive publicity - was happy. But the narrative that's being spun -- out of kindness, DL flew a free charter flight just for these students -- is a bit deceptive. Ultimately, it came down to timing/a coincidence (the need for the students and plane to be at RIC).

As I linked to in my deleted posting, DL stranded a group of Detroit-area HS students en route to perform at Disney World this past winter. The group ended up chartering a bus after DL said it would take several days to come up with the necessary seats to transport them. Let's think about this... DTW surly had available equipment and standby crews, but DL declined because it was a poor business decision.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm

9w748capt wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

Where are we getting this idea that chartering a plane is proper customer service; again it is not reasonable to expect a carrier to charter a plane when a flight is cancelled. In fact, if they had a plane available they probably would not be cancelling the flight...

longhauler

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:43 pm

compensateme wrote:
it was a cool gesture by DL, but it was also a business opportunity. DL had already assembled a rescue flight to RIC to cover for the cancelled inbound flight (NYC) when the call for help came in. The collection of flight coupons would've been more than enough to offset the cost to detour to OKC. The students were happy and DL - which picked up some cash and positive publicity - was happy. But the narrative that's being spun -- out of kindness, DL flew a free charter flight just for these students -- is a bit deceptive. Ultimately, it came down to timing/a coincidence (the need for the students and plane to be at RIC).

This basically says it all.

Delta is an extremely well managed, multi-billion dollar corporation. They got that way by making wise financial decisions knowing that they must ultimately answer to the Board of Directors and the Shareholders. For a minimal cost, they were able to garner a lot of goodwill and publicity. And rest assured ... the balance between cost and return was carefully weighed.

While some would like to think this is is an example of the gracious Southern Belle coming to the aid of the Gentleman Caller. The fact that we even know about it ... namely, it was quickly placed on social media by Delta, to gain their return, shows the true intent.

I don't fault them. It shows they know what they are doing and in today's age, they show they can well manage their brand on social media.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

9w748capt

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:53 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Where are we getting this idea that chartering a plane is proper customer service; again it is not reasonable to expect a carrier to charter a plane when a flight is cancelled. In fact, if they had a plane available they probably would not be cancelling the flight...

Are you even reading what I'm saying? I never said "it should be expected that AA charters a plane whenever a large group experiences IRROPs." No one has said that, at least not me. What you and others in this thread don't get is how amazing it is that the DL agents even felt empowered enough to make the call to HQ and get this going. To me, that in itself is remarkable and shows how different the culture is at DL than at AA. Of course DL has ulterior motives in this - they're garnering a lifetime of goodwill for this group of students and their families, plus I'm sure they recouped the interline rate from AA so it's not like they didn't get reimbursed at all with this. But I compare what DL did in this case to how utterly useless the AA agents are at OKC especially - those idiots can't even be bothered to help with the simplest of tasks.

spinkid

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

grbauc wrote:
Has nobody learned yet that there might be more to the story????
Maybe this is what happened

AA flight canceled they don’t have anything immediately to help for it scrambling around Delta gets asked they have an answer for it they step the in.

It’s 2019 everybody should have enough experience and realizing that the lack of credibility of stories and whole story not out yet that causes jumping the gun and egg on the face to slow our roll.

This sounds exactly right in terms of how it was solved. Delta certainly has empowered people at a level where they can make something like this happen quickly. It's surprising and sad that American didn't see that they had a group of 41 passengers flying together when they canceled that flight. Its almost impossible to rebook them on the same flights. You certainly need to cancel something else and swap aircraft, or get a little creative, or you get outplayed by DL. Think of all those HS kids who will be praising Delta on Social Media and weighing this when choosing brand loyalty later in life.

I know someone on this thread seems outraged that the title says Free. Sure AA just transfered the tix to DL and the students are paying for it, however they indeed got lucky with DL. For example if they walked over to the WN counter and happened to find 41 seats together they would be paying the walk up fare that day

Jshank83

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I'm not surprised. On my last flight with AA, I felt they handled the delay horribly. I was proactive and wanted to take an earlier flight and they wanted to charge a change fee.

I never understood why more airlines don’t let people do this in at least some situations. I have had delays and tried to get on an earlier flight. They wanted me to pay $300 to change. In turn when my fight was getting ready to leave they were asking people to stay behind for $900. Why not let me take the earlier flight with open seats and then that is one less overbooked person on my original flight.

If my original flight had a bunch of seats open still I get not letting it me change but if it is full or almost full then they should be happy I am offering to leave earlier.

PA101

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 am

Well, good PR for Delta, that’s for sure.

And I have to admit, I was impressed without Delta myself a couple of years ago. I was transferring through ATL to get to MIA on an AF flight via CDG to TXL. There were thunderstorms in the area, so our MIA bound flight was delayed and it was obvious we‘d miss the connection. The gate agent simply put me on a direct flight to LHR and onwards with BA. I ended up in TXL 2 Hours EARLIER than originally scheduled. :-)

And do I prefer DL if I have a choice? You bet!

aerorobnz

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

FIMs are still issued at the airline I work for, we regularly use other airlines to uplift our disrupted passengers. We also lease aircraft to another airline if we have spare capacity and crew resource to, it's actually very profitable to do so. The airline that cancels pays all the operating costs + a bit of profit and the original airline take all the revenue from the tickets
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Boof02671

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:19 pm

It wasn’t AA it was Republic.

9w748capt

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Are you guys still working "by the book"? Just wondering. Trying to plan a couple of trips this summer that are time sensitive. Maybe I ought to just switch to Delta!

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Which Airline name was painted in bold letters on the side of the plane? Who issued the ticket?

Boof02671

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:08 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Which Airline name was painted in bold letters on the side of the plane? Who issued the ticket?

Don’t let facts get in your way.

The plane isn’t operated by AA and not on AA’s AOC.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Then it wasn’t Delta who did the charter it was Endeavor.
From my cold, dead hands

INFINITI329

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
bugsbegone wrote:

The students had no idea of what they were protesting … they got of school for the day

They really probably had no idea. Sounds like it was propaganda pushed from the school

Boof02671

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Then it wasn’t Delta who did the charter it was Endeavor.

Endeavor is owned by Delta, and technically it wasnt DL, Endeavor operates on its own AOC, not on DL’s.

INFINITI329

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

I don't think Republic serves OKC as American Eagle only as UA Express. The OKC-DFW route in American colors is served by American, Envoy & Mesa.

WayexTDI

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Don’t let facts get in your way.

The plane isn’t operated by AA and not on AA’s AOC.

You do understand that passengers do not chose to fly on Republic when booking AA?

When I buy a ticket on aa.com and end up on a Republic airplane, AA is still my direct contact. If anything goes wrong, AA is still on the hook. I cannot book a ticket directly with Republic; for the passenger, they might as well not exist.
When you select an airline, you enter in a binding contract with said airline (and the airline with you); if the airline decides to subcontract the flying, they are still responsible to fulfill the initial contract, even more so when the subcontractor defaults.

That's a fact. Spin it the way you want, the fact remains the students were not dealing with Republic, but with AA.

longhauler

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 pm

I am very curious how this played out. Knowng the internal workings of large airlines, it all seems so unlikely, yet ... it DID happen.

Namely, in OKC, you have 41 passengers (among others) inconvenienced by a cancellation. Of course, AA would look at all options and DL being one of the options would have been asked. At what point in time did any Customer Service Supervisor of either airline dare imagine that there would be an empty airplane passing overhead headed toward the northeast!

At the same time, you have DL System Operational Control in ATL managing the repositioning of an empty aircraft to the northeast for future use. As it happens all the time, it is very unlikely they would be calling stations along the way asking if anyone needed a ride.

So ... how did the two wires get connected?

As mentioned above DL strands passengers from time to time. It is not like it is a normal occurrence to snag an otherwise empty aircraft. So I can't imagine it would be normal protocal to call up ATL and ask if there was a spare aircraft to use. Notwithstanding, this was an AA "stranding" so DL's Operations wouldn't have been involved nor even aware.

So I am curious how one in need eventually connected to the right person to fix the need.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

diverdave

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:01 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

Actually AA does deserve some derision - AA will not rebook a passenger without status onto another airline. So the kids' options were to wait until seats were available on AA, give up and go home, or buy new tickets on another airline.

longhauler wrote:
IOf course, AA would look at all options and DL being one of the options would have been asked. .

Actually, no - AA does not rebook you onto another airline unless you have status.

It's right here in black and white:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 512946002/

usflyer msp

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 pm

diverdave wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
DDR wrote:

Actually AA does deserve some derision - AA will not rebook a passenger without status onto another airline. So the kids' options were to wait until seats were available on AA, give up and go home, or buy new tickets on another airline.

longhauler wrote:
IOf course, AA would look at all options and DL being one of the options would have been asked. .

Actually, no - AA does not rebook you onto another airline unless you have status.

It's right here in black and white:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 512946002/

Realistically, you are never going to find 41 seats on another carrier so that would not have made any difference in this case. Anyway, every other carrier a has the same policy so they would have been in the same situation if they had not booked AA.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

longhauler wrote:
I am very curious how this played out. Knowng the internal workings of large airlines, it all seems so unlikely, yet ... it DID happen.

Namely, in OKC, you have 41 passengers (among others) inconvenienced by a cancellation. Of course, AA would look at all options and DL being one of the options would have been asked. At what point in time did any Customer Service Supervisor of either airline dare imagine that there would be an empty airplane passing overhead headed toward the northeast!

At the same time, you have DL System Operational Control in ATL managing the repositioning of an empty aircraft to the northeast for future use. As it happens all the time, it is very unlikely they would be calling stations along the way asking if anyone needed a ride.

So ... how did the two wires get connected?

As mentioned above DL strands passengers from time to time. It is not like it is a normal occurrence to snag an otherwise empty aircraft. So I can't imagine it would be normal protocal to call up ATL and ask if there was a spare aircraft to use. Notwithstanding, this was an AA "stranding" so DL's Operations wouldn't have been involved nor even aware.

So I am curious how one in need eventually connected to the right person to fix the need.

The plane wasn't flying over. It was ferried in empty from ATL-OKC, and then operated OKC-RIC with the group.
From my cold, dead hands

longhauler

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:26 pm

diverdave wrote:

DiamondFlyer wrote:
The plane wasn't flying over. It was ferried in empty from ATL-OKC, and then operated OKC-RIC with the group.

Excellent examples of the point being missed!

9w748capt

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

I don't think Republic serves OKC as American Eagle only as UA Express. The OKC-DFW route in American colors is served by American, Envoy & Mesa.

Wrong. Republic flies OKC-PHL for AA.

Boof02671

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 pm

According to AA flight status OKC-DCA is Republic

alasizon

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:44 am

phlswaflyer wrote:
Wow! AA would never do something like this because Paker and Isom might lose a few pennies in compensation. To them, passengers are cattle and collateral damage to be dealt with.

I get that it doesn't fit your narrative but AA (and US) actually has done this before, both to cover for OAs and for their own cancellations. I personally have coordinated at least three such extra sections in the past two years.

diverdave wrote:

Yes, the policy was changed to keep passengers on AA metal longer as opposed to an immediate rebook on another airline but there is a clause in the policy that allows a reasonable person to make an exception which happens all the time. Recently, I've seen near zero availability on UA or DL when looking to rebook passengers for a cancellation so its also just flat out harder to find seats to where the pax need to go. Usually there are either seats to the OA hub or from the OA hub to the final destination but usually not both.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

capejet

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:03 am

This story is now making national news. AA apologized for the situation, citing bad weather as the reason for the cancellation. Regardless of how or why it happened, DL is getting a ton of good publicity while AA is looking like the airline that should be avoided at all cost. The only thing AA can do to rise above this incident is to pay more attention to their operation. They are at the bottom of every list that comes out showing delays and/or cancellations. They need to start taking these things seriously.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos