WeatherPilot
Topic Author

WestJet pilot's eyes burned by green laser light while flying into Orlando

Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 pm

WestJet pilot eyes burned by green laser light while flying to Orlando
BY PAOLA LORIGGIO, THE CANADIAN PRESSPOSTED MAY 22, 2019 12:11 PM EDT LAST UPDATED MAY 22, 2019 AT 1:59 PM EDT

A WestJet pilot flying from Newfoundland to Orlando International Airport had his eyes burned by a green laser light, U.S. Federal Aviation Administration officials said Wednesday.

Spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said in an email that the WestJet Airlines aircraft was about 40 kilometres from the airport when the laser light hit the pilot. The flight landed safely a short time later, and the pilot was placed on medical leave, which is routine in such cases.

The airline said in a statement that the incident took place Saturday but gave few details, citing privacy concerns.

“Any pilot who reports being struck by a laser is required for safety and health reasons to have an ophthalmology evaluation,” spokeswoman Morgan Bell said in an email.

Bell said laser incidents pose a “serious concern” for crew and aircraft safety and are immediately reported to local authorities for investigation.

“Pilots are extremely focused during all phases of flight, but especially during take-off and landing, when most laser incidents occur,” she said.

“When any sort of light enters the flight deck, pilots are trained to look away and maintain focus but they must also remain vigilant with respect to their surroundings and monitor the apron prior to landing.”

The FAA is investigating the incident. The agency said it had notified the Volusia County Sheriff’s Office, which sent a deputy to a central Florida address pinpointed as a possible source of the light.

The sheriff’s office said no one at the location had any knowledge of the incident and said they don’t have a laser pointer.

Last year, the Canadian government announced strict new measures to ban most high-powered lasers around airports and in the country’s three largest cities due to the dangers they pose when aimed at aircraft.

The interim measures bar anyone from possessing a battery-operated hand-held laser over one milliwatts outside a private residence without a legitimate purpose, such as for work or education.

The rules apply to municipalities in the greater Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver areas, as well as within 10 kilometres of any Canadian airport or heliport.

Penalties for those convicted of deliberately targeting aircraft include fines of up to $100,000, five years in prison, or both, though the government has acknowledged that prosecutions are rare given the difficulty of catching people in the act.

However, the new rules also allow investigators to hand out fines of up to $5,000 for anyone caught with a hand-held laser in a prohibited zone without a reason. Corporations can face up to $25,000.

Transport Canada reported 379 incidents of lasers pointed at planes in 2017, most of which occurred in Ontario and Quebec.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/05/22/ ... o-orlando/

traindoc

Re: WestJet pilot's eyes burned by green laser light while flying into Orlando

Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 pm

Another moron on the loose! It’s not cute nor funny to shoot a laser beam at an aircraft! And there is always the potential to cause an accident, especially on a landing approach!

DeltaWings

Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 pm

I would just wear laser protection glasses. Simple as that.
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

mham001

Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 pm

That's not some little laser pointer, how big of a laser would you need to light up the cockpit like that?

northstardc4m

Thu May 23, 2019 11:31 pm

mham001 wrote:
That's not some little laser pointer, how big of a laser would you need to light up the cockpit like that?

Green (and Blue as well) handheld lasers are available for many purposes... Astronomy, Construction, Surveying, Laser Light Shows, etc... some are powerful enough to have a visible beam so are useful for the right purposes and visible for several miles in many cases with much more range and power than a red "laser" pointer or scanner... however, they are not toys, and in the hands of morons like this, they are dangerous as they have enough power to burn the retina even at several miles range if viewed directly.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

cschleic

Thu May 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Is the photo itself in a sim? No headphones, seatbelt or pilot's uniform.

balz18

Thu May 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Scum bags... I was lased 2 weeks ago landing into Tucson on 29R from the FAF until about 100 above. TPD and Pima County Sheriff’s Department offered $5K for their arrest. They lased 6 F-16s, a United Express CRJ and a Southwest 737 in the period of about 10 min. High powered lasers, in our case a green one bouncing through the cockpit is no joke. If caught they should be locked up and the key should be thrown away. It’s stupid, wreckless, idiotic and many other words I’ll refrain from saying.
First class or no class...

EvanWSFO

Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Laser usage is moronic, but it seems a little too coincidental that the co-pilot just happened to have a camera or phone handy to take the photo.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

NYPECO

Fri May 24, 2019 9:01 pm

cschleic wrote:
Is the photo itself in a sim? No headphones, seatbelt or pilot's uniform.

EvanWSFO wrote:
Laser usage is moronic, but it seems a little too coincidental that the co-pilot just happened to have a camera or phone handy to take the photo.

It's just a stock photo.

mwhcvt

Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 pm

balz18 wrote:
Scum bags... I was lased 2 weeks ago landing into Tucson on 29R from the FAF until about 100 above. TPD and Pima County Sheriff’s Department offered $5K for their arrest. They lased 6 F-16s, a United Express CRJ and a Southwest 737 in the period of about 10 min. High powered lasers, in our case a green one bouncing through the cockpit is no joke. If caught they should be locked up and the key should be thrown away. It’s stupid, wreckless, idiotic and many other words I’ll refrain from saying.

A shame none of those F16 had laser targeted munitions on board :P I joke of course but would have effectively prosecuted the moron
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

VSMUT

Fri May 24, 2019 9:13 pm

I was lased once over Bucharest. More than 10 lasers all over the city focusing on aircraft.

dfwjim1

Fri May 24, 2019 9:29 pm

I hope the pilot is okay

slvrblt

Fri May 24, 2019 9:58 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
balz18 wrote:
A shame of those F16 had laser targeted munitions on board :P I joke of course but would have effectively prosecuted the moron

Yes it IS a shame. They would get what they deserve, I think. You would agree too, if you were on that aircraft and it crashed as a result . These idiots are like the jackasses that think it's fun and funny to drop cinderblocks on an expressway with cars. People die, and they chuckle.
..everything works out in the end.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos