glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:25 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... s-to-know/

It seems that anonymous inspectors are coming out against the agency, accusing them of turning a blind eye to unsafe conditions at airlines.

The FAA airline safety record in the USA is the best in the world. If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good? Is this a case of disgruntled employees seeking revenge or legit?
Last edited by glideslope900 on Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
bgm
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good?


Luck.

However, that luck ran out with the 737 MAX.
Sweet Home Talibama. Home of Y’all Qaeda
 
glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm

bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good?


Luck.

However, that luck ran out with the 737 MAX.


The airlines and pilots also played a role in those accidents. However, no need to rehash that in this thread. There is a separate thread for that debate.
 
bgm
Posts: 1975
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:37 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:34 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good?


Luck.

However, that luck ran out with the 737 MAX.


The airlines and pilots also played a role in those accidents. However, no need to rehash that in this thread. There is a separate thread for that debate.


Indeed. But don't forget that Boeing and the FAA take the vast majority of the blame here. Don't let your American pride cloud your judgement.
Sweet Home Talibama. Home of Y’all Qaeda
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 1978
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Certain airlines have had the FAA in their pocket for years...it's only lately that they've been found out.
 
glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:40 pm

bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Luck.

However, that luck ran out with the 737 MAX.


The airlines and pilots also played a role in those accidents. However, no need to rehash that in this thread. There is a separate thread for that debate.


Indeed. But don't forget that Boeing and the FAA take the vast majority of the blame here. Don't let your American pride cloud your judgement.


You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.

However, I do agree Boeing is partially responsible for this crash. It was Boeing engineers who self certified. The FAA understandably so thought Boeing was competent enough to not install a system like MCAS. FAA takes a small amount of blame compared to Boeing IMO.
Last edited by glideslope900 on Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8427
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:43 pm

So this is about the FAA cozy relationship with AA and WN.....
I am still waiting for Americans and foreigners to hold the USA Congress feet to the fire, the FAA is a Federal body and their outsourcing had to have been approved by the politicians, why are they getting a walk?
 
apodino
Posts: 3434
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:11 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 pm

This has been going on for years unfortunately, and not always with great results. A good example goes back to 1996. Mary Schiavo was inspector general of the DOT. In that position she discovered lots of safety concerns about a rapidly growing airline at the time called ValuJet. So many issues in fact that she tried to get the FAA to revoke their certificate. Not only did the FAA laugh her concerns off, she was also ridiculed by congress when testifying before a congressional committee. (Airlines have powerful lobbyists in Washington working for them) These only amplified after an incident where a plane was evacuated in ATL I believe after a rejected takeoff was evacuated on the runway. The airplane was written off, and it turns out the cause of the incident was something ValuJet knew about and ignored. Yet Schiavo's cries to Washington went unanswered. Shortly after this, ValuJet 592 crashed into the everglades. Only then was action finally taken.

I know people say a lot about Scary Mary, but honestly people like her in charge are better than people who typically are in charge who have too cozy relationships with the airlines.

For what its worth, it is worth noting that one of the founders of ValuJet, Maury Gallagher, is currently the CEO of Alleigant Air, which has come under somewhat similar scrutiny by industry observers in recent years.
Last edited by apodino on Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
kalvado
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

My impression is that overly strict safety requirements are another layer of redundancy: if there are some violations, they would probably still be contained. Just don't push those limits too hard.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 8427
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:56 pm

kalvado wrote:
My impression is that overly strict safety requirements are another layer of redundancy: if there are some violations, they would probably still be contained. Just don't push those limits too hard.

The multiple billion dollar question is for you to define is what is "too hard".
To the NTSB that is an easy question as they do not have to be concerned about the financial impact, that is the job of the FAA, they would definitely need assistance in resolving that question, if no disaster, its fine, if there is a disaster, all the experts will show up.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 13705
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:00 pm

par13del wrote:
So this is about the FAA cozy relationship with AA and WN.....
I am still waiting for Americans and foreigners to hold the USA Congress feet to the fire, the FAA is a Federal body and their outsourcing had to have been approved by the politicians, why are they getting a walk?


What outsourcing are you talking about? Self-certification? If so, that happens in all sorts of industries.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3316
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:14 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Certain airlines have had the FAA in their pocket for years...it's only lately that they've been found out.



Sources and names of airlines please?
 
User avatar
BaconButty
Posts: 790
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.


I eagerly await a reference for this.
Down with that sort of thing!
 
zuckie13
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm

How can we get to a point where whistleblowers feel comfortable coming forward right away?
I'm tired of "oh yeah, I caught something and they told me to ignore it" type things coming out after some disaster that could have been prevented has happened.
 
kiowa
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:19 pm

par13del wrote:
So this is about the FAA cozy relationship with AA and WN.....
I am still waiting for Americans and foreigners to hold the USA Congress feet to the fire, the FAA is a Federal body and their outsourcing had to have been approved by the politicians, why are they getting a walk?



That is a tough one. Congress is made up of self serving people who excel at placing blame on others. Usually they blame the other party but Never take responsibility!
 
kalvado
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

par13del wrote:
kalvado wrote:
My impression is that overly strict safety requirements are another layer of redundancy: if there are some violations, they would probably still be contained. Just don't push those limits too hard.

The multiple billion dollar question is for you to define is what is "too hard".
To the NTSB that is an easy question as they do not have to be concerned about the financial impact, that is the job of the FAA, they would definitely need assistance in resolving that question, if no disaster, its fine, if there is a disaster, all the experts will show up.

I am more thinking about such complains (and, even more importantly, proper response!) being part of the system of keeping things under control, rather than a cause for immediate panic.
 
astaz
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

apodino wrote:
This has been going on for years unfortunately, and not always with great results. A good example goes back to 1996. Mary Schiavo was inspector general of the DOT. In that position she discovered lots of safety concerns about a rapidly growing airline at the time called ValuJet. So many issues in fact that she tried to get the FAA to revoke their certificate. Not only did the FAA laugh her concerns off, she was also ridiculed by congress when testifying before a congressional committee. (Airlines have powerful lobbyists in Washington working for them) These only amplified after an incident where a plane was evacuated in ATL I believe after a rejected takeoff was evacuated on the runway. The airplane was written off, and it turns out the cause of the incident was something ValuJet knew about and ignored. Yet Schiavo's cries to Washington went unanswered. Shortly after this, ValuJet 592 crashed into the everglades. Only then was action finally taken.

I know people say a lot about Scary Mary, but honestly people like her in charge are better than people who typically are in charge who have too cozy relationships with the airlines.

For what its worth, it is worth noting that one of the founders of ValuJet, Maury Gallagher, is currently the CEO of Alleigant Air, which has come under somewhat similar scrutiny by industry observers in recent years.


Didn’t the brunt of the blame for Critter 592 get slapped on SabreTech? Couldn’t it be argued that Schiavo and the government over reacted and caused ValuJet to go out of business by grounding them?

I’m not saying that some mutual relationships that may be inappropriate exist between airlines and the FAA, but zoning in on Maury/Allegiant in this case seems oddly specific when it’s something that other airlines have had similar issues with in recent years.
 
glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm

BaconButty wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.


I eagerly await a reference for this.



With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4319
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 4:50 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/federal-aviation-administration-inspectors-say-they-are-pressured-to-overlook-problems-flying-public-needs-to-know/

It seems that anonymous inspectors are coming out against the agency, accusing them of turning a blind eye to unsafe conditions at airlines.

The FAA airline safety record in the USA is the best in the world. If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good? Is this a case of disgruntled employees seeking revenge or legit?


It's been the best in the world, but remember that is the past. They are saying it recently is not meeting the standards for safety that we saw in the past. They are basically shooting down your whole argument. This is not disgruntled employees, these are people with kids, parents, friends who fly on planes and want to see them keep the great safety record we have seen in this country.

That is like saying i am not replacing my brakes my car it's still stopping. Then one day you can't stop it doesn't matter you never had issues stopping before. Just because planes are safe right now doesn't mean you can let checks and requirements fail.
 
WN732
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
BaconButty wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.


I eagerly await a reference for this.



With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.


Well there was exactly 1 on WN1380. But that's the only one I can think of since Colgan.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
BaconButty wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.


I eagerly await a reference for this.



With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.


While I'm sure that's a fine opinion, to be stated (and believed) as fact you should at least add a source. I'd love to see the stats if the only metric is "no pax fatalities in the last decade due to crash". So if it wasn't a crash that killed someone, but the airline was negligent, it should still count as the best in safety record?
@DadCelo
 
ckfred
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 5:49 pm

I know that in most disputes, the truth is somewhere in the middle. But remember a while back when AA's MD-80 fleet was grounded several times? There was a directive to make a modification. AA started those modifications early in the time frame for completion. Then, a new FAA inspector in Dallas decided that the prior Dallas inspector should not have approved the work that AA performed on the fleet. The deadline for completion was near, so AA pulled the entire fleet to get the modifications done the way the new Dallas inspector wanted it.

Then, a week or two later, the FAA inspector in Long Beach decided that both Dallas inspectors were wrong, and AA had to ground the fleet again, in order to perform the modification for the third time.
 
glideslope900
Topic Author
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
BaconButty wrote:

I eagerly await a reference for this.



With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.


While I'm sure that's a fine opinion, to be stated (and believed) as fact you should at least add a source. I'd love to see the stats if the only metric is "no pax fatalities in the last decade due to crash". So if it wasn't a crash that killed someone, but the airline was negligent, it should still count as the best in safety record?


How many flights have taken place in the US compared to other countries? I see you conveniently left that out of your response.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:03 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:


With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.


While I'm sure that's a fine opinion, to be stated (and believed) as fact you should at least add a source. I'd love to see the stats if the only metric is "no pax fatalities in the last decade due to crash". So if it wasn't a crash that killed someone, but the airline was negligent, it should still count as the best in safety record?


How many flights have taken place in the US compared to other countries? I see you conveniently left that out of your response.


I didn't leave it out, you just never mentioned that as part of your argument. Your original post said "With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade". I cannot assume you mean based on number of flights, or number of aircraft, or per passengers flown, etc. You're the one making the claim, so it's up to you to back it up with stats.
@DadCelo
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Of course, are these true whistleblowers or just people with an axe to grind?
 
SEU
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:

The airlines and pilots also played a role in those accidents. However, no need to rehash that in this thread. There is a separate thread for that debate.


Indeed. But don't forget that Boeing and the FAA take the vast majority of the blame here. Don't let your American pride cloud your judgement.


You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.

However, I do agree Boeing is partially responsible for this crash. It was Boeing engineers who self certified. The FAA understandably so thought Boeing was competent enough to not install a system like MCAS. FAA takes a small amount of blame compared to Boeing IMO.


Ha!!! Good one.

Edit - https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/cou ... world.html
America has had the most deaths in air transport in the world.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:40 pm

Yeah about everything the FAA does nowadays (and actually ever) is lousy. No surprise here. Also the US is not the safest in the world. There are statistics to back that up. Add in a substandard safety agency and that's not the best combo.
Last edited by OA940 on Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:41 pm

In 1912, the world believed that a ship could be "unsinkable", and that lifeboats were merely a waste of good deck space. One night in April changed all that.

In 1937, Nazi Germany was unable to acquire enough helium to fill their zeppelins & airships, so they used hydrogen instead. Despite their safety precautions, which were extensive, all it took was one spark.

In the late 1960's, Pan Am considered its pilots "Sky Gods", who were superior human beings and should always be considered as such. Three horrific crashes in the span of less than one year showed the word that wasn't and never will be true.

In 1972, a DC-10 nearly crashed when an improperly closed cargo door blew open and damaged the flying controls. Because the plane was so lightly loaded, it wasn't completely disabled, and a fix was ordered. Unfortunately, not all planes were fixed, and 346 people lost their life from the same exact problem, only this time with catastrophic results.

In 1979, an improperly maintained DC-10 lost an engine on take-off. Despite the fact that McDonnell Douglas said, "don't disconnect the pylon with the engine", AA said, "don't tell us what to do with our planes". When the cause of the original engine loss was determined to be AA's fault, they still blamed the manufacturer.

Further, "optional" safety equipment - meaning slat disagreement warnings and a stick shaker that functioned on BOTH sides of the cockpit, and powered with more than just one engine source - became standard equipment. This nonsense that safety equipment could be optional is ridiculous, not to mention life-threatening.

In 1992, a 737 being flown by COPA lost one of its two attitude control indicators. The pilots couldn't figure out which one was correct, leading to the loss of control. Three became mandated, so to lessen the odds of not knowing what the correct position is while flying.

I believe firmly that a few pencil-pushers at Boeing, eager to see their own stock portfolios inflated, argued against safety equipment on the new MAX, because it would take time and money. Safety equipment? "Not needed" they said. Extra training for pilots? "A waste of time and resources" they responded. Then two planes crash. "It's those pilots' fault" they cry.

A whistleblower cries, "there's something unsafe!", and rather than investigating the claims, a smear campaign is launched against them. We're even debating that now, even after all kinds of evidence show up that they were correct in the first place.

The FAA needs to have the power of a referee or an umpire: make sure everything is being done right, according to the rules. Anything less, and the flying public might pay with their lives. The agency must be able to act independently, away from the influences of those who stand to gain by taking short-cuts. Otherwise, more accidents will happen.
 
mxaxai
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 pm

kalvado wrote:
My impression is that overly strict safety requirements are another layer of redundancy: if there are some violations, they would probably still be contained. Just don't push those limits too hard.

"Probably" being the key word here. Aircraft safety is all about probability. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

The engineering target is 10^-9 fatal crashes per flight hour. US carriers fly about 18 million hours per year. Even including pilot errors and poor regulatory overview, you might go a few years without a crash just because modern transport aircraft - sans 737 MAX - are designed so safe.
 
User avatar
XLA2008
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:54 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/federal-aviation-administration-inspectors-say-they-are-pressured-to-overlook-problems-flying-public-needs-to-know/

It seems that anonymous inspectors are coming out against the agency, accusing them of turning a blind eye to unsafe conditions at airlines.

The FAA airline safety record in the USA is the best in the world. If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good? Is this a case of disgruntled employees seeking revenge or legit?


Just because a major accident hasn’t yet happened, does not mean it is necessarily safe, it’s just a matter of time if airlines are being allowed to take short cuts, eventually luck will run out.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“
 
THS214
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:

The airlines and pilots also played a role in those accidents. However, no need to rehash that in this thread. There is a separate thread for that debate.


Indeed. But don't forget that Boeing and the FAA take the vast majority of the blame here. Don't let your American pride cloud your judgement.


You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.

However, I do agree Boeing is partially responsible for this crash. It was Boeing engineers who self certified. The FAA understandably so thought Boeing was competent enough to not install a system like MCAS. FAA takes a small amount of blame compared to Boeing IMO.


USA has a great safety records but the best in the world is a bold statement.
 
THS214
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 7:09 pm

glideslope900 wrote:
BaconButty wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.


I eagerly await a reference for this.



With the amount of flights in the US, and not 1 pax fatality due to a crash in past decade, it is rather evident.


Last one was on 20.5.2019 maybe 22.5.2019. For majors, they have a great safety record but safest in the world... one of the best per flights.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm

SEU wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Indeed. But don't forget that Boeing and the FAA take the vast majority of the blame here. Don't let your American pride cloud your judgement.


You are right that I am proud the USA has the best aviation safety record in the world.

However, I do agree Boeing is partially responsible for this crash. It was Boeing engineers who self certified. The FAA understandably so thought Boeing was competent enough to not install a system like MCAS. FAA takes a small amount of blame compared to Boeing IMO.


Ha!!! Good one.

Edit - https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/cou ... world.html
America has had the most deaths in air transport in the world.


To be fair, this is a quote from the link

These statistics do not indicate that air travel in the US is less safe than in other countries. Several factors determine the frequency of airline accidents, including the number of flights in operation. It stands to reason that more accidents would occur where more flights take place. The US is considered to have the busiest commercial flight schedule in the world.
@DadCelo
 
kiowa
Posts: 502
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm

OA940 wrote:
Yeah about everything the FAA does nowadays (and actually ever) is lousy. No surprise here. Also the US is not the safest in the world. There are statistics to back that up. Add in a substandard safety agency and that's not the best combo.


The FAA is substandard? Because some inspectors got to cozy with an airline? What is your opinion of an above standard regulatory agency?
 
freakyrat
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Re: FAA inspectors accusing agency of negligence

Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm

bgm wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
If they are so unsafe, why is the safety record so good?


Luck.
However, that luck ran out with the 737 MAX.


Someone in the FAA should have questioned, Why no sensor redundancy? Now retired, When I studied at the FAA Academy in Air Traffic Control my instructor brought up the counting of the What If's? and O'h Shit's. Obviously in a rush to get this aircraft to market someone didn't ask enough What If's and O'h Shits in relation to the MCAS Software.
 
User avatar
OA940
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:18 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 am

kiowa wrote:
OA940 wrote:
Yeah about everything the FAA does nowadays (and actually ever) is lousy. No surprise here. Also the US is not the safest in the world. There are statistics to back that up. Add in a substandard safety agency and that's not the best combo.


The FAA is substandard? Because some inspectors got to cozy with an airline? What is your opinion of an above standard regulatory agency?


Well, in basically every accident that has occured in the last few decades the NTSB has had something to say about FAA oversight. Add in the fact that, like you said, they got cozy with an airline, which, when we're talking about a new type with 5000+ orders on its books is not something that should happen and go unnoticed, and it doesn't paint an amazing picture. Also we've seen whistleblowers come out and say this exact same stuff for many years, but until 350 people died and it's clear their lousy oversight is partly to blame, they were laughed away.

I'm gonna admit I'm not familiar with how many agencies work, but, for example, I personally haven't noticed this happening with the EASA. And yes they also certified the MAX, and they, like every agency that followed the FAA's lead, should have been more thorough, and they also very much screwed up, but that appears to be much more common in the FAA's case.
A350/CSeries = bae
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3186
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 am

smokeybandit wrote:
Of course, are these true whistleblowers or just people with an axe to grind?


Bingo. Axes cause damage too, in the wrong direction.

XLA2008 wrote:
Just because a major accident hasn’t yet happened, does not mean it is necessarily safe, it’s just a matter of time if airlines are being allowed to take short cuts, eventually luck will run out.


Conversely because a major accident has happened, does not mean it is necessarily unsafe.
 
HVN2HEL2LAX
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: FAA Inspectors Accusing Agency of Negligence

Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Of course the FAA is shacking-up with its customers/contractors/suppliers. The FAA is littered (<--- appropriate term since most FAA top brass is trash) with former/future airline folks. I believer the current administrator is from AA, the guy Trump wants is from DL. That drunk Babbitt guy is over at WN now and he's the one who let WN off the hook when they shoulda grounded the 737 for some AD issue. And that Blakey lady works (or worked), after leaving the FAA, for some company that was awarded all this big $$$ for NextGen - which of course has failed to deliver much like her. The list goes on.

The FAA doesn't really give a crap either because they feel that airlines and manufacturers have their reputations to protect. Also, the FAA doesn't spend its money wisely enough to have adequate resources to do a thorough/proper job. I promise the FAA does not have someone on their payroll who specializes in MCAS. Also, top talent isn't easy for the FAA to recruit. Most aerospace engineers and others would rather be employed in the private sector - nobody ever really grows up saying "I want to work for the FAA!"

Lastly, this guy said it himself - "decades worth of 'experience'". You don't think after decades of "experience" inspectors don't make friends and do favors? I mean many of these guys are probably million mile fliers/elites on many airlines as they travel around on FAA dime.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos