rjsampson
Topic Author

How many 737 MAXs would have been delivered by now?

Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Had they not been grounded, of course.

It must be hundreds, worldwide? Seems like the airlines aren't quite feeling the pain yet -- although WN had to cancel 5% of their flights this summer. They seem to be the most affected. I wonder when this will start causing more hurt to airlines. Thoughts?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

TUSPHX

Re: How many 737 MAXs would have been delivered by now?

Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Most likely those in storage. The 737max blogspot site shows: KPAE-30, KBFI-59, and KSKF-4. So 93 altogether.

mwhcvt

Tue May 21, 2019 11:43 pm

For most airlines the MAX was not yet a big enough part of their fleet for the grounding to be that big of a headache, there are very few airlines yet that are into double digit deliveries, so this can be compensated for in various ways from the extreme of cancelled flights or special charters, there’s a number of providers of extra lift as needed, plus different parts of the world have their peaks at different times of the year, case in point main Canadian 737s come over to Europe for the summer and then in the winter some European based 737’s will fly out of Canada I believe it’s TUI (EUROPE) and SUNWING (CANADA) that has such an arrangement

Additionally things like adjusting schedule maintenance and retirements where possible can help

Finally there’s also adjusting schedules to get more flying time out of your operational fleet say your 737NG fleet spends hours a day in the air, adjusting schedules to get in another flight across the fleet can give you the needed operational slack
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

mwhcvt

Tue May 21, 2019 11:47 pm

I did see a photo the other day though where Boeing has quite literally repurposed a parking lot to store MAX in as they are running out of hard standing and I guess if it carry’s on much longer they will have to ferry more off site into storage since they cannot simply stop production very easily, hell if it came to that they’d not only be looking at compensation claims from airlines but likely also suppliers unless they agreed on going payments with vendors storing produced parts

Wingtips56

Tue May 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Are test flights banned too, or can Boeing test completed new builds, and then park them awaiting delivery?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 178 airports, 89 airlines, 71 a/c types, 397 routes, 56 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,101,154 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

mwhcvt

Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Are test flights banned too, or can Boeing test completed new builds, and then park them awaiting delivery?

Test flights are allowed and Boeing has done a couple of hundred hours of them so far in trying to resolve and or verify the software fix, ferry flights are also permitted which is what has allowed airlines to move frames into storage such as southwest moving all frames to VCV and Boeing themselves have had to park some frames at other sites to free up space I don’t think I’ve heard of them moving any to non Boeing storage sites just yet

dmg626

Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 am

mwhcvt wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:

Test flights are allowed and Boeing has done a couple of hundred hours of them so far in trying to resolve and or verify the software fix, ferry flights are also permitted which is what has allowed airlines to move frames into storage such as southwest moving all frames to VCV and Boeing themselves have had to park some frames at other sites to free up space I don’t think I’ve heard of them moving any to non Boeing storage sites just yet

I was at Hobby a few weeks ago and saw United had about 10 Max’s parked there. I thought it was strange to choose that as a parking spot for a several month time line due to the humidity in that area.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos