doulasc
Topic Author

Amazon to open a air hub in Lakeland Florida

Mon May 20, 2019 12:34 am

I hear Amazon plans to open a air hub in Lakeland Florida,How will this affect their hub in Cincinnati? Is Amazon planning on
more hubs around the United sates?

SierraPacific

Re: Amazon to open a air hub in Lakeland Florida

Mon May 20, 2019 12:42 am

Put me in the doubter category for this tidbit. Lakeland has practically zero infrastructure IIRC and Florida isn't a great place to put a cargo hub since it is in the bottom right corner of the country.

Amazon has done weirder things though

Polot

Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Put me in the doubter category for this tidbit. Lakeland has practically zero infrastructure IIRC and Florida isn't a great place to put a cargo hub since it is in the bottom right corner of the country.

Florida is a great place for a hub if picking up a lot of goods coming from South America.

SierraPacific

Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 am

Polot wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Florida is a great place for a hub if picking up a lot of goods coming from South America.

Is Prime Air expanding internationally though? I thought that it was a domestic product for now and in the near future.

If they are expanding internationally then I could see it.

kalvado

Mon May 20, 2019 1:02 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Polot wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Is Prime Air expanding internationally though? I thought that it was a domestic product for now and in the near future.

I assume this means warehouse stocked through the Port Tampa Bay for further distribution via air freight. Not sure if that is more economical that bulk shipping to a more central location, though. Saves on goods turnover times at a cost of more flying.

KFLLCFII

Mon May 20, 2019 1:05 am

SierraPacific wrote:
Polot wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Then there is the question of whether US Customs & Border Protection in Lakeland could handle the workload (or be able to spare agents from Tampa/Orlando?).
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

BTVB6Flyer

Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 am

For clarification, it's essentially moving it's Ops from TPA to LAL, of which TPA already has pretty substantial Amazon Air Ops and can't support the growth (space) wise going forward.

And if you're familiar with geography, LAL is literally smack in the middle of Orlando and Tampa metro's and their subsequent distribution, sorting centers, etc. It makes perfect sense and LAL obviously gave them a heck of a deal.

Also, this is not going to replace CVG...Amazon Air air going to have several if not many of these hub style airports if they continue their growth as previously anticipated.

canyonblue17

Mon May 20, 2019 1:32 am

If you haven't been there, Lakeland is already home to a huge distribution center for Amazon. The building is right down the block from LAL. Having visited Sun N Fun numerous times, I've driven past it. The airport has plenty of additional space to grow - and it's location between Tampa and Orlando is "Prime."
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

SuseJ772

Mon May 20, 2019 1:52 am

I wonder what this will mean for Sun n Fun. Sure it isn’t Oshkosh, but it’s pretty big and basically takes over the airport and then some. There are special arrival and ATC procedures and everything.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

FlyingElvii

Mon May 20, 2019 1:53 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
For clarification, it's essentially moving it's Ops from TPA to LAL, of which TPA already has pretty substantial Amazon Air Ops and can't support the growth (space) wise going forward.

And if you're familiar with geography, LAL is literally smack in the middle of Orlando and Tampa metro's and their subsequent distribution, sorting centers, etc. It makes perfect sense and LAL obviously gave them a heck of a deal.

Also, this is not going to replace CVG...Amazon Air air going to have several if not many of these hub style airports if they continue their growth as previously anticipated.

With a huge Amazon Warehouse, and a couple of supporting ones, less than a mile off the end of the LAL runway. Easy I-4 access, two decent hotels on the field (Thanks Mr. Hilton, and Sun-N-Fun) as well. Good choice, IMHO.

DeltaRules

Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

So is this going to be a TPA/LAL parallel operation like CVG/ILN will be (at least for a few years)?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

FlyingElvii

Mon May 20, 2019 1:54 am

SuseJ772 wrote:
I wonder what this will mean for Sun n Fun. Sure it isn’t Oshkosh, but it’s pretty big and basically takes over the airport and then some. There are special arrival and ATC procedures and everything.

Not that big of an impact, IMO. SNF is one week in April.

FlyingElvii

Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 am

DeltaRules wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

So is this going to be a TPA/LAL parallel operation like CVG/ILN will be (at least for a few years)?

No, think more like UPS SDF.
A big Center, plus some REALLY big warehouses going up in the area to feed it. Order gets to the plane from the seller/manufacturer within a couple of hours of hitting send on the internet.

ctrabs0114

Mon May 20, 2019 1:58 am

doulasc wrote:
I hear Amazon plans to open a air hub in Lakeland Florida,How will this affect their hub in Cincinnati? Is Amazon planning on
more hubs around the United sates?

Sounds like they're adding hubs, especially since they announced AFW (Fort Worth Alliance) earlier this year or late last year to supplement and/or (eventually) replace the existing DFW Amazon Air ops.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

rj1385

Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 am

There is a good discussion of this in the Amazon Fleet thread. Amazon will work with the airport to accommodate Sun n Fun and the Blue Angels.

jetblueguy22

Mon May 20, 2019 3:04 pm

People are missing the point of this hub. It’s not necessarily about what they can flow through the hub, but how they can distribute it. They don’t need to or necessarily want to use it to connect South America or other areas. It’s about getting products in and delivered within Florida. This allows them to hit two major markets with one gateway.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Revelation

Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
People are missing the point of this hub. It’s not necessarily about what they can flow through the hub, but how they can distribute it. They don’t need to or necessarily want to use it to connect South America or other areas. It’s about getting products in and delivered within Florida. This allows them to hit two major markets with one gateway.

... with costs lower than they could find at either gateway.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Delta28L

Mon May 20, 2019 5:12 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Well LAL will be no way close to what CVG will be at full build out. LAL is suppose to open up in June 2020 if everything goes according to plan. I think Amazon is only building a seven plane ramp for LAL. I haven’t heard what kind of service is going to remain @ TPA once LAL opens. Probably one or two flights a day from CVG and additional flights during peak season.

Murdoughnut

Mon May 20, 2019 6:59 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Amazon asks a lot from airports in terms of capital development to support their service, while typically refusing to operate under a contract. For an established corporate run airport like TPA or MCO, that would probably be a deal breaker - also considering the fact that the revenue benefits to the airport are likely flat or negative. An airport like LAL is likely more willing to lose money on such an arrangement for the economic impact it generates in their part of the region.

Probably win-win-win for TPA/MCO, LAL and Amazon.

DeltaAir

Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm

My understanding of the situation from various media articles is that the TPA operation will be moved to LAL. As has been previously pointed out, TPA was not interested in Amazon's desire to expand because it conflicted with strategic plans already in development for TPA.

If news reports are to be believed, the City of Lakeland essentially gave Amazon the ability to design whatever they needed with the option to double the size of the facility down the road. For a city the size of Lakeland, the 800-1000 jobs this will provide is a big deal. This is probably the first of a few big deals to be announced in the coming months/years for the airport with rumors of scheduled air passenger service to ATL or CLT becoming more common and money being allocated to attract said air carriers.

tjwgrr

Mon May 20, 2019 7:23 pm

rj1385 wrote:
There is a good discussion of this in the Amazon Fleet thread. Amazon will work with the airport to accommodate Sun n Fun and the Blue Angels.

Link to article about Amazon's Lakeland air hub plans:

https://www.lkldnow.com/amazon-plans-hu ... -lakeland/

Also adding ILS to Rwy 9- (CAT II) - currently only Rwy 27 has ILS.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

BTVB6Flyer

Mon May 20, 2019 7:52 pm

Murdoughnut wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Amazon asks a lot from airports in terms of capital development to support their service, while typically refusing to operate under a contract. For an established corporate run airport like TPA or MCO, that would probably be a deal breaker - also considering the fact that the revenue benefits to the airport are likely flat or negative. An airport like LAL is likely more willing to lose money on such an arrangement for the economic impact it generates in their part of the region.

While I agree on the whole contract stuff, I think that the future loss here is getting overlooked. I would have to ask some of the folks in the Amazon Fleet Thread, but I'm not so sure on the airport side of things being a los or break even. If TPA expensed any construction at their own cost then yes, I agree, but if Amazon doing it all, they I think TPA could have only gained. Especially with Amazon probably looking to go INTL soon, in conjunction with their current domestic expansion.

TPA is currently building a area for UPS/FedEx, I'm sure they could have put Amazon on that hold Air Cargo North apron. Currently TPA has no plans for the North side of the airport. Airside D once complete, will be able to handle much of the new volume for a while.

I also think LAL is eventually going to get PAX service and depending on what else spurs around it from a distribution center(s), probably other airline cargo service too. The catchment of LAL to Central Florida is unparalleled to what you find elsewhere around the US. Moxy if that ever gets going could very well turn LAL into G4 style hub. Not to mention token flights to ATL, CLT, JFK from LAL are very plausible. Just need to create the terminal portion and they will come.

Murdoughnut

Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Murdoughnut wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

While I agree on the whole contract stuff, I think that the future loss here is getting overlooked. I would have to ask some of the folks in the Amazon Fleet Thread, but I'm not so sure on the airport side of things being a los or break even. If TPA expensed any construction at their own cost then yes, I agree, but if Amazon doing it all, they I think TPA could have only gained. Especially with Amazon probably looking to go INTL soon, in conjunction with their current domestic expansion.

TPA is currently building a area for UPS/FedEx, I'm sure they could have put Amazon on that hold Air Cargo North apron. Currently TPA has no plans for the North side of the airport. Airside D once complete, will be able to handle much of the new volume for a while.

I also think LAL is eventually going to get PAX service and depending on what else spurs around it from a distribution center(s), probably other airline cargo service too. The catchment of LAL to Central Florida is unparalleled to what you find elsewhere around the US. Moxy if that ever gets going could very well turn LAL into G4 style hub. Not to mention token flights to ATL, CLT, JFK from LAL are very plausible. Just need to create the terminal portion and they will come.

Cargo only comprises about 5% of total revenue for TPA - that's all cargo carriers combined - Amazon was likely 1% of the total. So you're talking $2.5m annually. The type of facilities Amazon likely wanted would have lasted about 20 years. So over that period TPA would have earned about $50m from Amazon and probably would have spent $75m-$100m on designing, building and sustaining those facilities over that time period. Without a contract, Amazon could leave after year one, sticking TPA with nearly the entire amount.

When you're running a business like MCO or TPA, and have reliable contracts to plan and forecast on, there's no benefit to taking a small loss (or possibly a massive loss) on such a risk. If you're LAL, and you need any growth you can get, even if you have to pay for it, the story is different.

TheOldDude

Mon May 20, 2019 8:54 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

If so, that's the end of Sun 'n Fun.

Jerseyguy

Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Yep, I think LAL would be perfect for Moxy. It would cover both Tampa and Orlando. Its closer than SFB to Disney unless there is an accident on I-4 and they will definately looking to make a deal to attract carriers. After Moxy flies for a couple of years like Frontier did in Trenton, more people will be aware and interested in flying into Lakeland and other carriers will start looking. Amazon only gives LAL more resources to build a terminal and other infrastructure.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

MIflyer12

Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Polot wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

U.S. merchandise imports for consumption (Amazon isn't assembling goods) don't come from S America. They come from China, Mexico, Canada and Japan, in that order. For 2018 Brazil was the 17th largest source, behind Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. Not a player by a long shot.

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Pr ... index.html

Florida is itself a big market.

jetblueguy22

Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Revelation wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

... with costs lower than they could find at either gateway.

And an airport authority that will do whatever they ask of them.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

wjcandee

Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Man this makes me appreciate the other thread, huh?

WorldFlier

Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
Polot wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Inbound sourcing of imported South American products.

HeartofFlorida

Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 am

tjwgrr wrote:
rj1385 wrote:

Rwy 9 is being upgraded to CAT III.

tjwgrr

Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 am

HeartofFlorida wrote:
tjwgrr wrote:
rj1385 wrote:

Currently Rwy 27 is CAT I, and Rwy 9 has no ILS. I know the news article says upgrading to CAT III, but read the linked PDF within the article. Also, the minimum numbers discussed they are upgrading to are CAT II, not CAT III.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

HeartofFlorida

Tue May 21, 2019 2:14 am

tjwgrr wrote:
HeartofFlorida wrote:
tjwgrr wrote:

Currently Rwy 27 is CAT I, and Rwy 9 has no ILS. I know the news article says upgrading to CAT III, but read the linked PDF within the article. Also, the minimum numbers discussed they are upgrading to are CAT II, not CAT III.

The CAT III information was mentioned in the city commission meeting with Gene Conrad on the day of the Amazon announcement. That was one of the provisions set forth by Amazon I believe. Here’s a link to the video: https://vimeo.com/336797924?cjevent=d6f ... 11#t=3202s

ctrabs0114

Tue May 21, 2019 2:42 am

Delta28L wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
BTVB6Flyer wrote:

Well LAL will be no way close to what CVG will be at full build out. LAL is suppose to open up in June 2020 if everything goes according to plan. I think Amazon is only building a seven plane ramp for LAL. I haven’t heard what kind of service is going to remain @ TPA once LAL opens. Probably one or two flights a day from CVG and additional flights during peak season.

I think eventually, you'll see additional flights from ONT/RIV, DFW (eventually AFW when that goes online), RFD and either ABE/BWI, or at least some combination of those stations, in addition to CVG.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos