Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee

Re: JetBlue switches from Coke to Pepsi

Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 am

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
It's NOT pop! It's a coke or soda, regardless of flavor/brand.
As in:
Q "What kind of coke do you want?"
A "I want a Sprite"

I know where YOU'RE from!

Now if you were from New Hampshire, you'd be asking what kind of tonic I wanted.

"A slice of cheese, please." "You want a tonic?" "A Diet Coke, please."

And in the Midwest to the Northwest, it is indeed pop.

And "coke" and "soda" are actually two different regionalisms, although some use both, like where you're from. First time I heard a Dr Pepper being generically referred to as a "Coke", I was in Texas. Took me a bit to figure out how that worked. [But then again, my first night living there, I struggled to understand what a "sack" was at the grocery store when asked whether I wanted paper or plastic. As in: "Paper or plastic." "I'm sorry?" "Paper or plastic." "I'm sorry; I'm not sure what you're asking me." "Paper or plastic sack?" "Um...Not helpful." (I was smiling; she was cute.) "Oh, you're not from here. Where you from?" "New York originally." "Connecticut. I'm asking do you want a paper BAG or a plastic BAG." "I have a choice?" "Yep. It's a surprising and wonderful place here. So what kind of sack?"]

Some of my Cali friends call it a "soft drink". Like they actually say the words out loud: "What kind of soft drink would you like?" In conversation! I thought this was because they were snooty, but turns out that many natives actually use that term. Everybody who comes there from somewhere else uses the term they were born saying.
Last edited by wjcandee on Sat May 18, 2019 5:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

wjcandee

Sat May 18, 2019 5:31 am

delete duplicate

dredgy

Sat May 18, 2019 5:52 am

phllax wrote:
dredgy wrote:
Back in the day I used to work at a hotel that only served Pepsi products. Since rum and coke is such a popular order I’d never tell anybody and not a single person out of tens of thousands ever tasted the difference. However if you say “I’ve only got Pepsi” and they’re like “fine then” then the complaint ratio is like 95% saying that it tastes different and is terrible. Was super interesting to me.

Did you work at a Marriott? The story about how they came to serve Pepsi is legendary. Old Man Marriott went to Coke in Atlanta to ask them to be the exclusive provider at his new hotel chain and they laughed him out the door. He went directly to Pepsi and never looked back.

I have worked at Marriott, but in an executive role, not in food service. I was referring to a Sofitel, Accor Australia was exclusively Pepsi products, but they have switched back now.

TTailedTiger

Sat May 18, 2019 6:04 am

It’s quite easy to tell if your rum and Coke was made with Pepsi. It will just taste like watered down rum with a sugary aftertaste. No bite of carbonation like with Coke.

PBITran

Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 am

CaptCoolHand wrote:
This is the dumbest conversation ever.

So bud light or miller? IPA or stout?
Let’s have a real conversation. ;-)

Actually, most of the "real" conversations on this website are dumber than this one.

1337Delta764

Sat May 18, 2019 6:38 am

richierich wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:
lostsound wrote:
That's disappointing, though I'm glad Canada Dry is still the ginger ale option.

still? Its Seagrams now

How does everyone feel about them going from passing out bottles of water to now handing you a cup of water? Will you continue to ask for your softdrink or coffee and some water? Or skip the water since its in cup.

How many other airlines use Pepsi? I feel like most US domestic carriers are Coke only.

Coke versus Pepsi, seriously? If I'm at a restaurant and order a Coke and the waiter says "WE only have Pepsi, is that okay?", does anybody actually turn it down? I mean, you are already going down the sugary drink avenue at that point, how many could even tell the difference in a blind taste test? Unless I worked for one company or the other, I could care less if they gave me Coke, Pepsi, RC, Polar or Sam's Club cola.

To me, losing the individual water bottles is the bigger story here. I get that it is more environmentally responsible to do away with small, individual sized bottles, but I am less a fan of having water given to me in a plastic cup (which can't be any better for the environment than a recyclable plastic bottle, can it?) I like having a water bottle to hold or keep in the seat pouch during descent, it's much harder to do that with a cup. I wish more airports had chilled water dispensers for resuable bottles...I've seen a few in my travels but they are not commonplace. I guess that's going to be my next mandatory travel accessory.

AA has a contract with both Coke and Pepsi that was inherited from pre-merger AA, but is honoring the contracts in an odd way by serving Coke, but serving Sierra Mist instead of Sprite. I expect as the contracts come up for renewal AA will probably drop one of the two companies.

arcticcruiser

Sat May 18, 2019 6:47 am

So, a 164 posts on Coke vs Pepsi...
Should this thread not have been moved somewhere?

debonair

Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 am

Flying narrowbody A321 over the Atlantic is no big deal; surviving a 5hrs+ flight without Coke is impossible! Sorry JetBlue - you just lost a future customer on your 2021 London route... :cry2:

MartijnNL

Sat May 18, 2019 11:54 am

Iluvtofly wrote:
(...) But then only a US airline would serve a hamburger in the 1st cabin LOL

I suppose these burgers in 1st class taste better than the ones from fast food chains. I wouldn't mind to eat one of those. Nothing wrong with a well prepared burger made with quality meat.

PerVG

Sat May 18, 2019 12:01 pm

HOW DARE THEY? :D
Pepsi is crappy, but who really cares, anyway?

bhxalex

Sat May 18, 2019 12:06 pm

168 replies on JetBlue changing from Coke to Pepsi, with many digressing from aviation.

How this forum has fallen.

MartijnNL

Sat May 18, 2019 12:22 pm

This is about Coca Cola versus Pepsi Cola. Everybody has an opinion about it. What are you talking about? Digressing from aviation? How is a great discussion about changes in the onboard service of an airline digressing from aviation? I am happy my home carrier KLM serves Coca Cola. I enjoyed one on my Oslo - Amsterdam flight last Tuesday. :thumbsup:

digitalcloud

Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 pm

bhxalex wrote:
168 replies on JetBlue changing from Coke to Pepsi, with many digressing from aviation.

Oddly refreshing change from "Why doesn't airline [insert airline here] fly to [insert airport here] ?"

filipinoavgeek

Sat May 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Interestingly enough, I know some airlines serve both Coke and Pepsi. PR for example serves both: Coke in liter bottles and Pepsi in cans; from experience though most passengers ask for Coke.

NWADTWE16 wrote:
It's all High Fructose Corn Syrup

AFAIK sodas using HFCS is mostly a US-thing: over here in Asia sodas still use sugar.

1337Delta764

Sat May 18, 2019 1:23 pm

As for Dr. Pepper distribution is handled regionally, with some areas being Coke and others being Pepsi, even though it is neither a Coke nor Pepsi product. In areas where Coke carries Dr. Pepper, they are not allowed to sell Pibb except in fountain (the non-compete clause doesn't cover fountain syrup). Here in the Phoenix area Dr. Pepper is distributed by Coke as a bottled/canned beverage, but both Coke and Pepsi have the fountain syrup.

exFWAOONW

Sat May 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Pepsi tastes better than coke, even when flat. Mountain Dew is way better than mellow yellow. Seriously, why did they skip the dew?

CobaltScar

Sat May 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Looks like Ice Tea is going away too, along with Coke Zero. Good, no more 1000000 things to try and fit in a small aisle cart and then run out of. Now they just need to ditch some of the too many snack choices.

catiii

Sat May 18, 2019 2:25 pm

debonair wrote:
Flying narrowbody A321 over the Atlantic is no big deal; surviving a 5hrs+ flight without Coke is impossible! Sorry JetBlue - you just lost a future customer on your 2021 London route... :cry2:

This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. You’re choosing TATL carriers based on a soft drink?

Bluewho

Sat May 18, 2019 2:59 pm

bhxalex wrote:

I don’t think so. It’s the first time in the history of Jetblue which prides itself on inflight offerings to do a total switch.
It’s also something people are very particular about. Why wouldn’t it be talked about.

alfa164

Sat May 18, 2019 6:47 pm

UALFAson wrote:
Also, for the record, there is no period in the brand name Dr Pepper.

You're welcome. The more you know.

While we're at it, Dr Pepper is not part of PepsiCo; they were bought by Keurig Green Mountain last year and the company was renamed Keurig Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper is sometimes served at establishments that serve Pepsi products under separate contract because Pepsi does not have a similarly flavored product the way Coke has Mr. Pibb. Though some restaurants that serve Coke products also serve Dr Pepper specifically--McDonald's comes to mind.

For the record, there is no "Mr." in Pibb. Coke dropped the title a few years ago.

You are welcome, too. ;)

I think restaurants serve Dr Pepper along Coke products simply because Pibb is a p*ss-poor substitute; I have never, ever seen anyone walk into a property and request a Pibb. But Dr Pepper - we even have it available in Siem Reap, Cambodia - just because it is the best. And because I am a Pepper, too.

:bigthumbsup:

Etheereal

Sat May 18, 2019 11:40 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

Dont worry, soon you'll see your loved AvB threads and the billion of rumors..

ewt340

Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 am

Diabetes doesn't discriminate guys, neither should any of you.

LovePrunesAnet

Sun May 19, 2019 6:33 am

cheerwine>dr pepper

LovePrunesAnet

Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 am

arcticcruiser wrote:

I know, seriously, what nerve!
I dont want this coke/pepsi thread to prevent me from having to scroll down an inch or two for IMPORTANT threads like DL MAKES AUS a FOCUS CITY
and WILL THERE BE A SUPER JUMBO AFTER A380 and WHO IS BETTER:A or B

MartijnNL

Sun May 19, 2019 9:05 am

During my last visit to the United States I bought the book Speaking American: How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide by Josh Katz.

The book uses maps to show how Americans speak English differently across the US. Attention is also given to the different names for fizzy drinks.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/soda-pop ... =true&r=US

https://www.businessinsider.nl/american ... =true&r=US

A very interesting read if you ask me.

hz747300

Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 pm

After this decision, two carriers being equal, I would choose not fly jetBlue.

N757ST

Sun May 19, 2019 2:12 pm

hz747300 wrote:

So on a given route, vs say American, if price were the same, you’d rather sit in a 29” seat without tv, snacks, free WiFi, etc, or pay for all those, rather then endure a Pepsi. Ok.

Oh, and on American you’ll get half that $1 can of coke.

ikramerica

Sun May 19, 2019 2:34 pm

richiemo wrote:
terrible!!!!! Is it me or did it used to seem like it was 80% coke, 20% pepsi everywhere. Now way too much pepsi. Tragic

Pepsi gets a lot of business through exclusive contracts. The NCAA, vending on most college campuses, YUM! Brands, the cayman islands, etc.

ikramerica

Sun May 19, 2019 2:40 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
During my last visit to the United States I bought the book Speaking American: How Y’all, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide by Josh Katz.

The book uses maps to show how Americans speak English differently across the US. Attention is also given to the different names for fizzy drinks.

https://www.businessinsider.nl/soda-pop ... =true&r=US

https://www.businessinsider.nl/american ... =true&r=US

A very interesting read if you ask me.

I love the places that ask “what kind of coke do you want?”

Then theres the whole hoagie, grinder, submarine or hero. To save money, the company who prints up the sandwich bags for my local pizza place puts all four names on the bag.

lightsaber

Sun May 19, 2019 3:10 pm

We should protest the exclusion of Mountain Dew. That is the travisty.

N757ST wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

So on a given route, vs say American, if price were the same, you’d rather sit in a 29” seat without tv, snacks, free WiFi, etc, or pay for all those, rather then endure a Pepsi. Ok.

I cannot recall the last time I picked an airline over the beverage. Would one really compromise that much for diabetes drinks?

I have incredibly low blood pressure. My doctor prescribed soft drinks for me (my dentist forbids them...). Do most here really want that much salt? Seriously, I only know two healthy people who drink a lot of soda. If your BMI is over 25 or blood pressure over 125 (systolic) soft drinks should be off limits.

Lightsaber

KlimaBXsst

Sun May 19, 2019 3:36 pm

One more shameless plug for the
Boom Overture as long as we are on about Coke or Pepsi.

Concorde looks great in American Pepsi!

1337Delta764

Sun May 19, 2019 4:45 pm

alfa164 wrote:
UALFAson wrote:
Also, for the record, there is no period in the brand name Dr Pepper.

You're welcome. The more you know.

While we're at it, Dr Pepper is not part of PepsiCo; they were bought by Keurig Green Mountain last year and the company was renamed Keurig Dr Pepper. Dr Pepper is sometimes served at establishments that serve Pepsi products under separate contract because Pepsi does not have a similarly flavored product the way Coke has Mr. Pibb. Though some restaurants that serve Coke products also serve Dr Pepper specifically--McDonald's comes to mind.

For the record, there is no "Mr." in Pibb. Coke dropped the title a few years ago.

You are welcome, too. ;)

I think restaurants serve Dr Pepper along Coke products simply because Pibb is a p*ss-poor substitute; I have never, ever seen anyone walk into a property and request a Pibb. But Dr Pepper - we even have it available in Siem Reap, Cambodia - just because it is the best. And because I am a Pepper, too.

:bigthumbsup:

Here in Arizona Pibb is actually becoming increasingly rare, with many restaurants that had it previously now switching to Dr. Pepper, and this is not just limited to chain restaurants.

jco613

Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 am

gatibosgru wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Why can't companies put both Coke and Pepsi on the menu and let the customers decide what they would like to drink?

I think they get a hefty discount by being an exclusive provider. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that offered both.

I have. Mostly gas station restaurants but I’ve still seen it. Very odd indeed

hz747300

Mon May 20, 2019 12:53 am

N757ST wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

Well, I did say, two carriers being equal. I would purchase on price first, and then buy the Coke products prior to boarding if I were going on a Pepsi friendly carrier. jetBlue doesn't really fly where I travel in the US, so it won't be a factor anyways.

smflyer

Mon May 20, 2019 1:26 am

MartijnNL wrote:
Iluvtofly wrote:
(...) But then only a US airline would serve a hamburger in the 1st cabin LOL

I suppose these burgers in 1st class taste better than the ones from fast food chains. I wouldn't mind to eat one of those. Nothing wrong with a well prepared burger made with quality meat.

Was that a joke? I've had UA's burger and it tasted almost exactly like the ones they served in elementary school cafeteria (the pre-packaged re-heated kind). The only difference is UA serves the burger with fresh lettuce/tomatoes and pretzel bun.

TMccrury

Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am

What is this Pepsi of which you speak?

SaschaYHZ

Mon May 20, 2019 1:49 am

For some reason, I never tire of this debate. I prefer Coke products, but don't care enough to avoid places or complain if I get handed a Pepsi. As for some other comments, I'm from Canada and we generally refer to it as pop.

gatibosgru

Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am

jco613 wrote:
gatibosgru wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Why can't companies put both Coke and Pepsi on the menu and let the customers decide what they would like to drink?

I think they get a hefty discount by being an exclusive provider. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that offered both.

I have. Mostly gas station restaurants but I’ve still seen it. Very odd indeed

Fair enough, but for any business other than airlines and convenience/grocery stores, airlines and anyone serving them from a squirt gun is usually one or the other.

n2dru

Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 am

This thread is hilarious...its rum and Coke not rum and Pepsi...enough said. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by n2dru on Mon May 20, 2019 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

FTMCPIUS

Mon May 20, 2019 3:45 am

exFWAOONW wrote:
Pepsi tastes better than coke, even when flat. Mountain Dew is way better than mellow yellow. Seriously, why did they skip the dew?

Pepsi is flat even as it is poured -- major letdown!!!

usxguy

Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 am

lort... when Alaska Air stopped serving Jones Soda it didn't even garner THIS much attention!

wjcandee

"

Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 am

bhxalex wrote:

"You're a Boeing Fanboy, so you suck!"

"You're a United Fanboy, so you suck!"

"You're a DL/Airbus Fanboy, so you suck...and you're DUMB, toot!"

"I know you are but what am I?"

Yeah...fallen real far.

To me, this is a fun, lighthearted thread about a decision by an airline regarding F&B. That's a subject being discussed here and at those other sites all the time.

So don't be One Of Those Guys and try to get it banned just because YOU think it's "undignified" or something.

wjcandee

Mon May 20, 2019 8:29 am

ikramerica wrote:
Then there's the whole hoagie, grinder, submarine or hero. To save money, the company who prints up the sandwich bags for my local pizza place puts all four names on the bag.

Grinder!!!!!! I haven't had one of those since the last time I had a "tonic" in New Hampshire.

But I met a girl from New Hampshire last night and (because we were at a place that served beverages), the pop/soda/soft-drink naming thing actually came up. Although she was cool, she wasn't cool enough to be a regular reader of A.net, so I'm thinking this her raising this issue was a coincidence and not anything inspired by this thread.

In any event, she claimed that where she was from it was called a "pop". If the appellation "tonic" has disappeared from New Hampshire, I will be wicked sad.

fessor

Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am

I prefer Pepsi to Coke which I find tasteless.
But what airliners serves what brand ?
Also some airlines I tried serves local brands and i even once got a Danish jolly cola on a domestic TG flight in Thailand

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos