Longhornmaniac
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Thu May 16, 2019 2:04 pm

impilot wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:


Captains don't make 6 figures in 12 months. More like 65k.

You're seriously uninformed in you think rj captains make 6 figures.


That's not remotely true. At my regional, upgrades are around 2 years right now. A captain on year 3 pay will be making in excess of $90/hr, and it will be over $95/hr on Jan 1. The top of our pay scale is like $150/hr.

You definitely don't seem to understand the difference between a block hour and a credit hour. I'm deadheading back to base on Friday morning. I'm getting paid 4.2 hours for that, and not blocking anything. In fact, I'm going to just go home instead of back to base.

It's not at all uncommon for people to credit 90+ hours a month, but perhaps only actually block 50-60.

As a matter of fact, I expect to make more than 65K as a first year FO, between salary, per diem, and bonuses.

Your information seems to be about 5 years old.

What regional tops out at $150/hr? Looking at the top regional pay scales I don’t see it.


My mistake. Republic tops out at $140/hr starting next year. Currently $136/hr.
Cheers,
Cameron
 
77H
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Thu May 16, 2019 9:19 pm

usxguy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
I love how management throws out pilot shortage as the excuse for bad management. I personally have never seen an airline have an honest to god pilot shortage but rather management creating an environment nobody wants to work in.

Every single small airline is having an honest to god pilot shortage rn.


Uh. I beg to differ. Mokulele Airlines has NEVER had to cancel a flight due to lack of crew** (except for the super rare exceptions of sick calls and they can't reposition someone in time). And they were the first Caravan operator to require *2 pilots*... And they operate 110 flights a day, so no small operation at all.

We used to have HUNDREDS of qualified pilots waiting in the pool to get hired. And many actually flow over to captain rather than jump ship once they hit 1500 hours. MW isn't known for high pay either. But, treat your staff right, they treat you right.


I looked at finishing my commercial and applying to MW about 5-6 years ago right out of college. I was shocked to learn just how little FOs make at MW, especially considering HI’s high cost of living. I was about to bite the bullet and press on with it when I landed a management gig at one of the majors. It’s not flying but it affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle.

Do many of MW’s FOs have second jobs ?

77H
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Anyway ..... back to topic. Is Via done?
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 178 airports, 89 airlines, 71 a/c types, 397 routes, 56 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,101,154 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 am

Wingtips56 wrote:
Anyway ..... back to topic. Is Via done?


No planes off the ground in over a day.

Seems all operations have been suspended.
A319/320/321, B717, B737, B757, B767, CRJ 200, CRJ900, ERJ 135, ERJ 140, ERJ 145, E190, G500, MD83, MD88, MD90, Q300.

DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, AC, FL, CO, US, F9
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
Anyway ..... back to topic. Is Via done?


No planes off the ground in over a day.

Seems all operations have been suspended.


If that's the case, why is their website still up and running?
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
N383SW
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 am

[photoid][/photoid]
USPIT10L wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Wingtips56 wrote:
Anyway ..... back to topic. Is Via done?


No planes off the ground in over a day.

Seems all operations have been suspended.


If that's the case, why is their website still up and running?


Since you brought that up it peaked my interest to go and have a look. While browsing their site I clicked on the “work with us” and scrolling down it says “with one of the highest on-time departure rates” and in the next paragraph goes on to say “carrying one of the highest reliability and dispatch percentages in the country”. I mean ummm uhhhh in what galaxy?!?
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 3:57 am

77H wrote:
usxguy wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Every single small airline is having an honest to god pilot shortage rn.


Uh. I beg to differ. Mokulele Airlines has NEVER had to cancel a flight due to lack of crew** (except for the super rare exceptions of sick calls and they can't reposition someone in time). And they were the first Caravan operator to require *2 pilots*... And they operate 110 flights a day, so no small operation at all.

We used to have HUNDREDS of qualified pilots waiting in the pool to get hired. And many actually flow over to captain rather than jump ship once they hit 1500 hours. MW isn't known for high pay either. But, treat your staff right, they treat you right.


I looked at finishing my commercial and applying to MW about 5-6 years ago right out of college. I was shocked to learn just how little FOs make at MW, especially considering HI’s high cost of living. I was about to bite the bullet and press on with it when I landed a management gig at one of the majors. It’s not flying but it affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle.

Do many of MW’s FOs have second jobs ?

77H


Some work "light" part time jobs. But the airline has never been in short supply of crews & applicants. MW was the first Part 135 to require dual crew, and the SICs were able to log all their time. The regionals loved MW crews because they were taught true CRM out the door, and of course good stick & rudder skills.

Back to VIA - will be a shame if they have shut down. But haven't they been a mess for a few years now? Like 3 or 4? (and why is it that all 50-seat charter operators are uh, mismanaged..)
xx
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 pm

usxguy wrote:
77H wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Uh. I beg to differ. Mokulele Airlines has NEVER had to cancel a flight due to lack of crew** (except for the super rare exceptions of sick calls and they can't reposition someone in time). And they were the first Caravan operator to require *2 pilots*... And they operate 110 flights a day, so no small operation at all.

We used to have HUNDREDS of qualified pilots waiting in the pool to get hired. And many actually flow over to captain rather than jump ship once they hit 1500 hours. MW isn't known for high pay either. But, treat your staff right, they treat you right.


I looked at finishing my commercial and applying to MW about 5-6 years ago right out of college. I was shocked to learn just how little FOs make at MW, especially considering HI’s high cost of living. I was about to bite the bullet and press on with it when I landed a management gig at one of the majors. It’s not flying but it affords me a much more comfortable lifestyle.

Do many of MW’s FOs have second jobs ?

77H


Some work "light" part time jobs. But the airline has never been in short supply of crews & applicants. MW was the first Part 135 to require dual crew, and the SICs were able to log all their time. The regionals loved MW crews because they were taught true CRM out the door, and of course good stick & rudder skills.

Back to VIA - will be a shame if they have shut down. But haven't they been a mess for a few years now? Like 3 or 4? (and why is it that all 50-seat charter operators are uh, mismanaged..)


Well, if pilots were really the issue, then the airline would just have slight cuts. But, this is not the case. It has been many days since the last commercial flight (May 11?). Their so-called focus city in Pittsburgh has not had a flight in almost two weeks. Same applies in BHM, where their flights have all been cancelled/suspended for two weeks.
AUS has not had a flight in 3 days, and I think that flight was a charter.
A319/320/321, B717, B737, B757, B767, CRJ 200, CRJ900, ERJ 135, ERJ 140, ERJ 145, E190, G500, MD83, MD88, MD90, Q300.

DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, AC, FL, CO, US, F9
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
impilot wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:

That's not remotely true. At my regional, upgrades are around 2 years right now. A captain on year 3 pay will be making in excess of $90/hr, and it will be over $95/hr on Jan 1. The top of our pay scale is like $150/hr.

You definitely don't seem to understand the difference between a block hour and a credit hour. I'm deadheading back to base on Friday morning. I'm getting paid 4.2 hours for that, and not blocking anything. In fact, I'm going to just go home instead of back to base.

It's not at all uncommon for people to credit 90+ hours a month, but perhaps only actually block 50-60.

As a matter of fact, I expect to make more than 65K as a first year FO, between salary, per diem, and bonuses.

Your information seems to be about 5 years old.

What regional tops out at $150/hr? Looking at the top regional pay scales I don’t see it.


My mistake. Republic tops out at $140/hr starting next year. Currently $136/hr.



Republic, Endeavor and PSA are making OK money. The rest are not.

Most 2-3 year regional captains are less than $70 an hour. Envoy, Expressjet, Skywest.. you name it.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Didn't VIA pay to airline folks to/from the plane from their homes -- and not even require pilots to live in base (if base even existed).

I can tell ya that will get expensive, FAST. And airlines don't give waivers and favors to airline staff either when on revenue tickets...
xx
 
Longhornmaniac
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 12:18 am

I'm hearing that Via has shut down. I had a friend who was going through simulator training for them in Houston and they were all abruptly told to go home today and that the airline was done. I don't have specifics, but I certainly don't think anyone is surprised by this.
Cheers,
Cameron
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 am

Longhornmaniac wrote:
I'm hearing that Via has shut down. I had a friend who was going through simulator training for them in Houston and they were all abruptly told to go home today and that the airline was done. I don't have specifics, but I certainly don't think anyone is surprised by this.


It appears so. Nothing commercial in almost three days.

Hopefully your friend will be able to find a job with a different carrier.
A319/320/321, B717, B737, B757, B767, CRJ 200, CRJ900, ERJ 135, ERJ 140, ERJ 145, E190, G500, MD83, MD88, MD90, Q300.

DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, AC, FL, CO, US, F9
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 3:40 pm

They are still tweeting this morning. Asked if they’re still operating and got blocked. Somebody is a bit sensitive.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
jonnyclam123
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 4:10 pm

They are still selling tickets on there website.
 
tcfc424
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:56 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but if I didn't know they hadn't flown a flight in a week and booked a ticket for, say tomorrow...wouldn't that be a kind of fraud (representing for sale something you have no ability or anticipation of fulfilling)?
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1822
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 5:00 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but if I didn't know they hadn't flown a flight in a week and booked a ticket for, say tomorrow...wouldn't that be a kind of fraud (representing for sale something you have no ability or anticipation of fulfilling)?


The owners are basically fraudersters.

They sign up for subsidized EAS flying, then cancel the flights to operate the airplanes on sports charters (which pay more).

The whole operation is a fraud.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
crownvic
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.


https://www.google.com/maps/place/Via+A ... 81.3670474
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 pm

I think that's where their tour operation used to be based, but they had 2 buildings in Maitland - one by the post office and another just behind it where the execs offices are/were. The owners live in Winter Park.
xx
 
USPIT10L
Posts: 1990
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:24 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Looks like they removed almost all of their Facebook comments from the last few weeks, one person on today's post asked for customer service to call them.....most of the responses are "angry faces".....I wonder why.....something is definitely up.....
It's a Great Day for Hockey!
 
DesertAir
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 pm

This is always the problem with start-ups with limited route structures. When something goes wrong they have very little ability or will in some cases. Allegiant has had the same difficulty in some of their stations. It would be better to begin small but reliable and then expand to larger and reliable.
 
Dazed767
Posts: 4988
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 11:55 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm

I remember when they had the ERJ's parked at KORL years ago. I wanted to book a flight on the E120 last year but there was never any consistency or they always cancelled.
 
WA707atMSP
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

crownvic wrote:
Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.


https://www.google.com/maps/place/Via+A ... 81.3670474


It may be surprising for an airline, but it's not surprising in other industries. Many companies' headquarters are located in places that are just a short drive from where their top executives live, because, like the rest of us, executives hate to be stuck in traffic.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 2886
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 am

WA707atMSP wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.


https://www.google.com/maps/place/Via+A ... 81.3670474


It may be surprising for an airline, but it's not surprising in other industries. Many companies' headquarters are located in places that are just a short drive from where their top executives live, because, like the rest of us, executives hate to be stuck in traffic.


Kansas City-based Vanguard was headquartered in Overland Park, some 25-30 miles from the airport but in the heart of KC's affluent Johnson County. I'm sure they weren't down there because it was the closest reasonbly-priced office space they found in the metro.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 3917
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Wed May 22, 2019 2:22 pm

WA707atMSP wrote:
crownvic wrote:
Via Air has their corporate office right by my home. It is the strangest location because if you travel just half a block passed it, there is a residential area surrounded by beautiful lakefront homes in Maitland Florida. There is a house just several hundred feet away from that office that would sell for well over a million dollars (NOT MINE.. LOL). It just seems so odd for an airline to have its corporate headquarters in a residential part of Orlando nowhere near any airport. You drive around a scenic lake looking at the estate homes, make one turn go up the street 100 feet and there it is VIA AIR slapped on the side of a building.


https://www.google.com/maps/place/Via+A ... 81.3670474


It may be surprising for an airline, but it's not surprising in other industries. Many companies' headquarters are located in places that are just a short drive from where their top executives live, because, like the rest of us, executives hate to be stuck in traffic.

If you are the ceo of Via Air are you really an “executive”?
 
drdisque
Posts: 1008
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Wed May 22, 2019 5:40 pm

E145 flying AUS-DEN-ISN. This is a routing this flight number has flown in the past and is presumably an oil charter.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SRY ... /KAUS/KDEN

I suspect given their financial situation that the company who hired them for the charter is paying the fuel bill directly.

Still, I find it interesting that they're still flying charter flights, yet haven't operated a scheduled flight in 5 days but have made no announcement regarding the scheduled service.

I have noticed that they have at least zeroed out all their flight schedules and inventory on their website, so while the booking engine is still up and running, there's no schedules or inventory in it.
 
MO11
Posts: 1025
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Wed May 22, 2019 5:46 pm

drdisque wrote:
E145 flying AUS-DEN-ISN. This is a routing this flight number has flown in the past and is presumably an oil charter.


The charter flight numbers are the numeric portion of the N number (N841HK).
 
Blueknows
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

The end of VIAair begins. From the ashes the Pink Flamingos will take over all there routes

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/05/22/whats-g ... -airlines/
 
Longhornmaniac
Posts: 3070
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Yep. Got some clarification from my friend and he said that the scheduled 121 ops were being shuttered to focus exclusively on the more lucrative Supplemental 121 ops (ie charters).

With this comes the need for a smaller pilot group, hence the decision to suspend his training midway through.

He was not paid for any of his training.
Cheers,
Cameron
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 pm

Blueknows wrote:
The end of VIAair begins. From the ashes the Pink Flamingos will take over all there routes

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/05/22/whats-g ... -airlines/


All via routes cancelled except for Jackson, Miss. to Orlando, Fla.

Looks like PIT has been duped once again.

Following Wednesday’s confirmation that the Florida-based airline has decided to change and return its business model to a charter service (with the exception of offering commercial flights from Jackson, Miss. to Orlando, Fla.), Via Airlines has been next to impossible to get on the phone.
A319/320/321, B717, B737, B757, B767, CRJ 200, CRJ900, ERJ 135, ERJ 140, ERJ 145, E190, G500, MD83, MD88, MD90, Q300.

DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, AC, FL, CO, US, F9
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 8:39 pm

they are still selling tickets into the summer for regularly scheduled commercial flights out of Sanford, FL. Maybe other places, too. I just played around with the calendar and a couple cities. Nothing from Austin which looked like a "hub" so who knows.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Via has been kicked out of AUS effective May 30.

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/stateme ... ermination
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
Blueknows
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Via Air in trouble: majority of flights suspended

Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 pm

Dont worry silver is on the way. The pink knight coming to save the day.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos