Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Continental Micronesia Extended Routes

Tue May 07, 2019 4:41 am

I had always thought Continental Micronesia flew the island hopper between HNL-GUM. It never occurred to me they would fly beyond that route. This pic was posted

and blew me away. How often did they fly outside the "Island Hopper" route? Has anyone here ever flown CO Micronesia 727 to HKG?

I really enjoy these classic photos!

SierraPacific

Re: Continental Micronesia Extended Routes

Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 am

They still service Hong Kong to this day along with Japan from the GUM hub. It is a full-fledged hub for United still post-merger which shocks quite a bit of people.

I was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago and was so confused to see a United 737 land and taxi to a gate.

BoeingGuy

Tue May 07, 2019 5:17 am

SierraPacific wrote:
They still service Hong Kong to this day along with Japan from the GUM hub. It is a full-fledged hub for United still post-merger which shocks quite a bit of people.

I was in Hong Kong a couple of years ago and was so confused to see a United 737 land and taxi to a gate.

Didn’t Air Micronesia serve Australia at one time too, like CNS? Okinawa too, I believe.

COSPN

Tue May 07, 2019 6:26 am

Yes and Manila and Bali .. almost every week we would get the “what is a CO 727/737 doing in NRT,MNL,ICN,HKG,SGN ....

smi0006

Tue May 07, 2019 8:12 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Didn’t Air Micronesia serve Australia at one time too, like CNS? Okinawa too, I believe.

Yup - CNS was ended maybe 5years ago max. Such a shame, would have loved to have gone to GUM direct from AU.

RWA380

Tue May 07, 2019 9:39 am

seb146 wrote:
I had always thought Continental Micronesia flew the island hopper between HNL-GUM. It never occurred to me they would fly beyond that route. This pic was posted

and blew me away. How often did they fly outside the "Island Hopper" route? Has anyone here ever flown CO Micronesia 727 to HKG?

Continental Micronesia flew HNL-LAX/SFO/GUM on DC-10 & 747's, CO MIKE also flew n/s GUM-NRT/NGO/OSA/FUK/SEL/PUS/TPE/MNL/YAP/SPNCNS/POM DPS to name some.

http://www.departedflights.com/COsummer1992.html

http://www.departedflights.com/CO090584.html

http://www.departedflights.com/CO030182.html

http://www.departedflights.com/CO090880.html - many routes authorized but not operated incl BKK & SIN.

http://www.departedflights.com/CO103171.html

Flyingsottsman

Tue May 07, 2019 10:11 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

They did right up to the merger with United, I think maybe a year after the UA/CO merger they dropped Cairns.

BUFJACK10

Tue May 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Flyingsottsman wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

They did right up to the merger with United, I think maybe a year after the UA/CO merger they dropped Cairns.

They also served GUM - SYD briefly in the late 90’s 3x a week using DC10’s. I flew it Christmas week I believe in 1998. The load was very light in both Business First and coach. This routing didn’t las long, if I’m correct it was gone in 1999.

Coal

Tue May 07, 2019 12:11 pm

At one point the GUM-HKG extended to SIN as well. It was funny to get on a UA 738 for very very cheap to fly from SIN to HKG.

x1234

Tue May 07, 2019 12:12 pm

UA should bring back BNE/SYD or CNS - GUM. Currently there's no connection from Australia to Guam!

CALMSP

Tue May 07, 2019 1:31 pm

love the GUM hub, really wish it could position itself to a SE Asia hub with a connection to LAX/SFO. When UA recently pulled GUM-PVG, the network planning VP stated a new route from GUM would replace it, however, appears that has backtracked and there has been nothing.

Really would like to see a LAX-GUM, then the 738 connecting to BKK/SIN/KUL

Antarius

Tue May 07, 2019 1:42 pm

CALMSP wrote:
love the GUM hub, really wish it could position itself to a SE Asia hub with a connection to LAX/SFO.

I doubt this would add value. It would be low yielding traffic at best.

BoeingGuy

Tue May 07, 2019 2:13 pm

Wikipedia states that Air Micronesia has previously served ITO. I don’t believe that is correct. CO served ITO from the mainland in the early-1970s though.

Anyone know for sure if Air Mike ever served ITO?

cathay747

Tue May 07, 2019 6:12 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Wikipedia states that Air Micronesia has previously served ITO. I don’t believe that is correct. CO served ITO from the mainland in the early-1970s though.

Hi...no, they did not, only HNL.

You are quite correct however in that CO did serve ITO from the mainland (including even nonstop to ORD!), as all "new entrants" to Hawaii in the late 60's/early 70's were required to do so under a "deal" between the CAB and the state of Hawaii...so CO/BN/WA/NW all had to do at least one flight that served ITO; UA did it too...they were usually round-robin's Mainland/HNL/ITO/Mainland or vice-versa. I don't know if there was a frequency requirement though i.e minimum number of ITO flights per week. AA was exempt from the ITO issue I believe because their Hawaii service was part of the trans-Pac award of their service to the South Pacific & Australia.
Last edited by cathay747 on Tue May 07, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathay747

Tue May 07, 2019 6:15 pm

RWA380 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Continental Micronesia flew HNL-LAX/SFO/GUM on DC-10 & 747's, CO MIKE also flew n/s GUM-NRT/NGO/OSA/FUK/SEL/PUS/TPE/MNL/YAP/SPNCNS/POM DPS to name some.

http://www.departedflights.com/CO090880.html - many routes authorized but not operated incl BKK & SIN.

Sorry friend, but Air Mike never flew Mainland/HNL routes; they never operated east of HNL. There were times when Air Mike aircraft rotated thru to LAX/SFO, after all CO owned the airplanes, but they weren't Air Mike services, they were "mainline CO", just using Air Mike aircraft.

superjeff

Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

Never did. Air Mike was a joint venture between CO and the original Aloha Airlines (AQ). Aloha served ITO, as did CO from about 1969 after the Trans Pacific Route case

BoeingGuy

Tue May 07, 2019 6:43 pm

cathay747 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

You are quite correct however in that CO did serve ITO from the mainland (including even nonstop to ORD!), as all "new entrants" to Hawaii in the late 60's/early 70's were required to do so under a "deal" between the CAB and the state of Hawaii...so CO/BN/WA/NW all had to do at least one flight that served ITO; UA did it too...they were usually round-robin's Mainland/HNL/ITO/Mainland or vice-versa. I don't know if there was a frequency requirement though i.e minimum number of ITO flights per week. AA was exempt from the ITO issue I believe because their Hawaii service was part of the trans-Pac award of their service to the South Pacific & Australia.

Thanks. I’m well familiar with the ITO flights. UA flew DC-8-61s SFO-ITO and LAX-ITO, which I don’t believe were round robin.

PA also served ITO about 1967-1969. AA and TW didn’t serve ITO in that era, as you mention.

UA was the last of the mainland carriers to serve ITO until 1986 or 1987 with a DC-10, until America Trans Air abd later UA resumed it.

I wish there were more photos of those old ITO flights.

TWA772LR

Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 pm

CALMSP wrote:
love the GUM hub, really wish it could position itself to a SE Asia hub with a connection to LAX/SFO. When UA recently pulled GUM-PVG, the network planning VP stated a new route from GUM would replace it, however, appears that has backtracked and there has been nothing.

I think itd be cool to see GUM become a scissor hub between Australia/New Zealand and that region between Japan/Korea/China.

RWA380

Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Thanks. I’m well familiar with the ITO flights. UA flew DC-8-61s SFO-ITO and LAX-ITO, which I don’t believe were round robin.

PA also served ITO about 1967-1969. AA and TW didn’t serve ITO in that era, as you mention.

UA was the last of the mainland carriers to serve ITO until 1986 or 1987 with a DC-10, until America Trans Air abd later UA resumed it.

I don't think BN ever served ITO. I do know, at some point, NW operated both ITO-PDX/SEA on the DC-10.

BoeingGuy

Wed May 08, 2019 12:36 am

RWA380 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

I don't think BN ever served ITO. I do know, at some point, NW operated both ITO-PDX/SEA on the DC-10.

Braniff did serve ITO from DAL with a 707. I think it was also a round-robin with HNL.

TheEuphorian

Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 am

CALMSP wrote:

Considering there's no airline flying to GUM from S.E. Asia with the exception of PR from MNL.

jteruel06

Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Considering there's no airline flying to GUM from S.E. Asia with the exception of PR from MNL.

There's also 5J from MNL now.

jteruel06

Wed May 08, 2019 1:15 am

seb146 wrote:

With United merging with Continental, it took over the GUM hub so they got some exotic destinations including the island hopper and the flights from GUM to HKG, MNL, Japan, ROR, and YAP. At its peak, CMI had flights from GUM to DPS, CNS, as well as several cities in Japan.

If you're feeling adventurous, it is possible to fly to MNL from HNL using the island hopper and then connect on GUM to the direct nightly UA GUM-MNL flight.
Last edited by jteruel06 on Wed May 08, 2019 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 am

TheEuphorian wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Getting somewhat off topic - but that's b/c the demand from SE Asia (outside of the Philippines) to Guam is minimal? Seriously, there's not even much tourism demand (b/c, well, why in the world someone from continental ASEAN would head to Guam when there's Thailand or Indonesia or even Malaysia/Vietnam that has much nicer resorts at a much lower price and are much closer?), and MNL only gets flights to GUM b/c...well, over 1 in 4 person in Guam is a Filipinos?

BTW...

(1994 Timetable)
http://www.departedflights.com/CO103094p19.html

HKG, MNL, DPS, FUK, CTS, NRT, KIX, SDJ, OKA, SEL, TPE, KHH...on a mix of 727 and DC-10 out of GUM. Seems like there's a few GUM-SPN-Japan flights also (Which doesn't exist anymore - UA nowaday only fly to GUM from SPN).

jteruel06

Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Getting somewhat off topic - but that's b/c the demand from SE Asia (outside of the Philippines) to Guam is minimal? Seriously, there's not even much tourism demand (b/c, well, why in the world someone from continental ASEAN would head to Guam when there's Thailand or Indonesia or even Malaysia/Vietnam that has much nicer resorts at a much lower price and are much closer?), and MNL only gets flights to GUM b/c...well, over 1 in 4 person in Guam is a Filipinos?

BTW...

(1994 Timetable)

HKG, MNL, DPS, FUK, CTS, NRT, KIX, SDJ, OKA, SEL, TPE, KHH...on a mix of 727 and DC-10 out of GUM. Seems like there's a few GUM-SPN-Japan flights also (Which doesn't exist anymore - UA nowaday only fly to GUM from SPN).

Besides the substantial Filipino community on the island, there isn't much demand for travel to Guam from ASEAN. Plus there are way better connection options via ICN, HKG, or NRT to go to North America. GUM was never a connecting hub, as it has always primarily catered more to holiday travelers from Japan and now Korea.

Max Q

Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 am

Air Mike also flew to Bali, Manila and Vietnam at various times in their history

IAHWorldflyer

Wed May 08, 2019 2:44 am

Back in the days of service to CNS, I knew many Houston based CO employees who non-reved to Australia using that flight. Usually flew IAH-HNL-GUM-CNS. Quite a trip.
I was once going to buddy pass with a friend out to DPS, but we could not get it to work out.

USAirALB

Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 am

I don't think UA ever did HKG-SIN on a 738. It was always either a 744 or 777 as a tag on from ORD-HKG.

UA did however fly HKG-SGN on a Micronesia 738. The flight started off as a 744 and then switched after the merger. UA also discontinued HKG-NRT and then brought the route back with a 738 for a few years after the merger.

CALTECH

Wed May 08, 2019 4:20 am

seb146 wrote:

FSflyer899

Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 am

I flew on the UA 738 few years back on a connecting flight from NRT to HKG. It was quite interesting to fly in the 738 on an international flight in Asia, and it was one of the best UA experience I ever had (full meal was served and the service was much better, and it wasn't a full flight with plenty of seats left, so lots of room). My journey stopped in HKG but the plane continues to SGN.

nonrevelite

Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 am

jteruel06 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
TheEuphorian wrote:

BTW...

(1994 Timetable)

Besides the substantial Filipino community on the island, there isn't much demand for travel to Guam from ASEAN. Plus there are way better connection options via ICN, HKG, or NRT to go to North America. GUM was never a connecting hub, as it has always primarily catered more to holiday travelers from Japan and now Korea.

Not quite true regarding GUM not being a connecting hub. GUM was built up connecting various points, example being Japan-Bali/Cairns and connecting Micronesia to Asia.

UA also has some cool charters out of GUM with Iwo Jima being one of the most unique. I have worked Iwo a few times and loved the experience.

For those that dont’t know; Air Mike has its own theme song; the video also has some images of current and past destinations and aircraft. Following are links to the theme song and an older historical video.

https://youtu.be/PlnSlDlAJ5c

https://youtu.be/7k-AL2cTU-Q

RWA380

Wed May 08, 2019 7:00 am

cathay747 wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Sorry friend, but Air Mike never flew Mainland/HNL routes; they never operated east of HNL. There were times when Air Mike aircraft rotated thru to LAX/SFO, after all CO owned the airplanes, but they weren't Air Mike services, they were "mainline CO", just using Air Mike aircraft.

Thanks Friend, I once flew SFO-HNL-SFO on CO, both segments were CO Mike DC-10-10's It was an early 8-9am flight out of SFO & the return was a red-eye. We also flew CO LAX-HNL-LAX It was a regular CO 747-200 outbound, likely the old PE aircraft or some stuff. The return was on the CO Mike 747 & again it was a red-eye. I appreciate your input..

meesh42

Wed May 08, 2019 7:30 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't continential micronesia fly trans-pacific to the states as well, by that I mean to LAX or SFO?

martinjc

Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 am

I flew MNL GUM back in the 80's and if memory serves me right it was on a 727. A very memorable flight because there must have been less than 10 people on it and it was the emptiest commercial jet flight I have ever been on to this day.

tpaewr

Wed May 08, 2019 8:37 am

meesh42 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't continential micronesia fly trans-pacific to the states as well, by that I mean to LAX or SFO?

No, but you could be forgiven for thinking so.

I flew the DC-10-10 in CS titles HNL-SFO-EWR. But the flight was always operated by CO east of HNL. The GUM-HNL flight (and everything west of HNL) was actually CS sold as CO* codeshare.

You could loosely compare it to today’s express flying.

Guam was very much built as a connecting hub. You can see this is in the very layout of the airport. The concept was not US-Transpacific but north/south traffic.

Flights would come in from NRT/SEL/NGO/OKA etc take advantage of GUM sterile transfers to connect across to SYD/CNS/NOU/DPS/ROR.

9/11 and the requirement for all pax to hold a US visa impacted GUM like no other hub. While NRT-XXX-GRU was supported by Japanese connectors NRT-GUM-DPS depended on it.

Guam was reduced to a largely O/D beach destination. Hence why today’s Guam “hub” is a shadow of its former self.

Coal

Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

CALMSP wrote:

Why would anyone fly UA on a 738 for 5-6 hours to connect to a flight to LAX in GUM when you can do that comfortably on a widebody on a plethora of Asian airlines via SIN, HKG, PVG, PEK, ICN, TYO, etc.?

MalevTU134

Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm

martinjc wrote:
I flew MNL GUM back in the 80's and if memory serves me right it was on a 727. A very memorable flight because there must have been less than 10 people on it and it was the emptiest commercial jet flight I have ever been on to this day.

Flew them NRT-GUM-YAP-ROR-TPE (for clarity: not a single, but several separate flights) in 1995. The ROR-TPE flight on a 727 had 5 passengers, including me and my father.

Max Q

Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Many of those Air Mike widebodies
routing between HNL and the west coast were rotating through for scheduled maintenance

cathay747

Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Max Q wrote:
Many of those Air Mike widebodies
routing between HNL and the west coast were rotating through for scheduled maintenance

Right! That was the reason I couldn't remember when I posted above yesterday. In fact, I think it was about the only reason, other than maybe mainline-CO borrowing-back an Air Mike ship while one of their own was in MX.

seb146
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Coal wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Why would anyone fly UA on a 738 for 5-6 hours to connect to a flight to LAX in GUM when you can do that comfortably on a widebody on a plethora of Asian airlines via SIN, HKG, PVG, PEK, ICN, TYO, etc.?

Same reason I am trying to go to every courthouse in the United States: because they can.

I hate flying but I love travelling and I also love seeing the tail colors and hearing the engines. As much as I hate flying, I would love to do the island hopper HNL-GUM and on to Asia on a 738 or similar narrow body..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos