Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Ultimate Air Shuttle new adds: Pittsburgh/Manassas/Morristown-Outer Banks

Sat May 04, 2019 12:56 am

Odd new add from Ultimate Air (Saturday and Sunday only) from Pittsburgh-Manassas-Currituck (outer banks), and Morristown NJ-currituck.

Tickets are expensive, with the cheapest being $600 round trip from Manassas-Currituck. Some are almost $1000, so I would not exactly call it the “allegiant” business.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pilotonlin ... a.amp.html

From The Virginian Pilot:
"We're looking at 19 to 30 seats per plane, providing two round-trip flights per weekend day," said Larry Vickers, CEO of Southstar Associates in a Currituck County news release. "That's just a small response compared to the total number coming to the Outer Banks in one weekend. It's small, but it's a start."

Currituck has a 5,500-foot runway that's 100 feet wide, large enough to accommodate the Ultimate Air Shuttle aircraft including the 30-passenger Embraer 135 Jet and the Dornier 328 Jet flying the Saturday trip, and the 19-passenger Jetstream 31 that will fly Sundays.

"We have corporate jets coming in all the time," Lombardi said.

The companies reached out to markets in the northeast and mid-Atlantic and are coordinating with Twiddy and Company to promote the air service to owners and renters of more than 1,000 Outer Banks properties, Lombardi said.

Definitely a new kind of business for Ultimate.

CHOWahoo

Re: Ultimate Air Shuttle new adds: Pittsburgh/Manassas/Morristown-Outer Banks

Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 am

I love this idea. Anyone who's done 95 to 64 on a summer weekend to OBX knows what a nightmare this trip has become. The timings at least from Manassas give pax a chance to avoid the worst of the traffic between Currituck and the beach if of course they run on schedule.

flyPIT

Sat May 04, 2019 11:03 am

Considering the popularity of the OBX I’m surprised something like this wasn’t done decades ago.

The PIT-HEF leg is also bootable by itself.

smokeybandit

Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 am

I hate traffic as much as anyone else, but the market for this seems slim at those prices.

hurricane4ish

Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 pm

I think that's great. Having grown up in Va Beach, I definitely understand the pain of driving deep down in the OBX in peak season. I couldn't imagine lumping several more hours down 95 from the NE onto that. However, Currituck is not as centrally located as Manteo, which is where Cape Air used to fly from ORF back in the late 90s I believe. But hey, if you're paying the premium to skip the traffic, then renting a car in Currituck and finishing the drive, or chartering an Outer Banks Air Lines flight the rest of the way as the article mentioned, will definitely attract some people and save a ton of time.

ncflyer

Sat May 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Anyone know if money was thrown at this route by one of the airports (as is PIT pattern in particular)

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Sat May 04, 2019 4:26 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Considering the popularity of the OBX I’m surprised something like this wasn’t done decades ago.

The PIT-HEF leg is also bootable by itself.

I’d love it if F9 or NK started service to the OBX - runway is (barely) big enough at 5500 feet. PHL, CLE, or CVG would work on either airline.

Also, according to the article, Ultimate flies Jetstreams. I am kind of questioning this...

masseybrown

Sat May 04, 2019 5:05 pm

OBX!!! So that's what all those car stickers mean. Tons of them in the Wash DC area and the drive is nasty on weekends. I think Ultimate will find a market, if they have the time and resources to allow it to build.

MO11

Sun May 05, 2019 1:49 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:

Also, according to the article, Ultimate flies Jetstreams. I am kind of questioning this...

Operated by East Coast Flight Services.

NorfolkSpotter

Mon May 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Service to OBX seems like a really good idea. I’m from the Norfolk area and I pretty much avoid OBX in the summer because of the horrible traffic. I imagine something in the future OBX-ORF might happen as well

flyPIT

Mon May 06, 2019 5:35 pm

With only a 500'-1,000' runway extension I think it would be a popular G4 focus destination.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 6:06 pm

flyPIT wrote:
With only a 500'-1,000' runway extension I think it would be a popular G4 focus destination.

A319 can already do it (needing only a 4600 foot runway).

KlimaBXsst

Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 pm

Maybe Silver and Ultimate might need to former a strategic understanding....

Or better yet another merger! Just kidding enough of the airliner merger speculation here... good for Ultimate Air Shuttles growth.

masseybrown

Mon May 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Details from Ultimate:

https://ultimateairshuttle.com/seasonal-flights/

They also provide weekend flying to Atlantic City which I believe is subsidized by the Borgata Hotel. Is anybody on the banks putting up a guarantee? Twiddy and Co?

flyPIT

Mon May 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

I didn't think I needed to preface my comment with "safely" and "profitably".
https://jetadvisors.com/airbus-a319-performance/

https://www.aircraftcompare.com/helicopter-airplane/airbus-industrie-a319/66

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 9:25 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Hmm... I thought that the A319 has landed in EYW at 4800'

If DL, AA, or UA wanted to start there with a 737-700 or an RJ, that would be very doable.

drdisque

Mon May 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

Hmm... I thought that the A319 has landed in EYW at 4800'

If DL, AA, or UA wanted to start there with a 737-700 or an RJ, that would be very doable.

Max weight for the runway at ONX is 47,500 lbs double wheel.

328JET MTOW is 34k lbs, and it won't be near MTOW.

CRJ-700 Operating weight is 44,225 lbs, meaning it could only carry 3,275 lbs of fuel and payload, which is pretty much unfeasible.

737-700 is nearly double the max weight for the runway with zero fuel or payload.

sprxUSA

Mon May 06, 2019 9:50 pm

I love how this richman's shuttle has people saying how F9 etc should fly there. Never happen. And no one is going to fly ORF-ONX....
I think this may be good for what it is, and will not stimulate air traffic or deminish road traffic much if at all.

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 10:33 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
I love how this richman's shuttle has people saying how F9 etc should fly there. Never happen. And no one is going to fly ORF-ONX....
I think this may be good for what it is, and will not stimulate air traffic or deminish road traffic much if at all.

I believe that 9k used to fly that route in the 90s. I’d still love to see some RJs at OBX.

bdepalo

Tue May 07, 2019 12:09 am

I'd love to see NK on that from BWI. Outer Banks are just far enough that I don't want to drive

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 12:37 am

bdepalo wrote:
I'd love to see NK on that from BWI. Outer Banks are just far enough that I don't want to drive

Most likely bet for another (cheap enough) airline is probably something small like Via, Contour, or Silver (probably to IAD or CLT, especially with Silver’s new ATRs)

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue May 07, 2019 1:00 am

This is interesting, and interesting that these flights are going to ONX. It's still about 75 minutes by car from there to Corolla without traffic, and over 2 hours in the summer (until the Mid Currituck Bridge gets built).

NorfolkSpotter

Tue May 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Yeah when I suggested OBX-ORF, I thought flights would be operating out of Dare County Regional Airport, not ONX.

FlyingElvii

Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 pm

flyPIT wrote:

It’s 6300 feet.

flyPIT

Tue May 07, 2019 3:39 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

It’s 6300 feet.

ONX? I'm showing 5,500'
https://www.airnav.com/airport/KONX

FlyingElvii

Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 pm

flyPIT wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

It’s 6300 feet.

ONX? I'm showing 5,500'
https://www.airnav.com/airport/KONX

I meant Manassas

flyPIT

Tue May 07, 2019 4:15 pm

I wasn't implying Manassas would be a good G4 destination, I'm talking about the OBX.

jetsetter629

Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Anyone know if money was thrown at this route by one of the airports (as is PIT pattern in particular)

My thoughts exactly!! PIT back at it again throwing money at airlines - the poor tax payers of Allegheny County! Western PA is not the market for $1000 flight to OBX, would be much better suited in the PHL / NY region...so the add to MMU makes sense, just not PIT

Runway28L

Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 pm

jetsetter629 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

My thoughts exactly!! PIT back at it again throwing money at airlines - the poor tax payers of Allegheny County! Western PA is not the market for $1000 flight to OBX, would be much better suited in the PHL / NY region...so the add to MMU makes sense, just not PIT

”Both Ultimate Air Shuttle and SouthStar Associates decided to provide flights out of the three airport locations based on information and discussion they had with Twiddy & Company.

Also, Ultimate Air Shuttle is partnering with Outer Banks Airlines, which will allow for connecting flights from the Currituck airport to any one of the four private airports on the Outer Banks, according to Currituck Economic Development.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtkr.com/2 ... ities/amp/

So these flights are being launched for a vacation package in the Outer Banks. PIT didn’t “throw money” for these flights, that information isn’t out there. OBX wasn’t even a destination near the top of PIT’s wishlist.

But way to let arrogance take over. :roll:

Gulfstream500
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 am

Runway28L wrote:
jetsetter629 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

”Both Ultimate Air Shuttle and SouthStar Associates decided to provide flights out of the three airport locations based on information and discussion they had with Twiddy & Company.

Also, Ultimate Air Shuttle is partnering with Outer Banks Airlines, which will allow for connecting flights from the Currituck airport to any one of the four private airports on the Outer Banks, according to Currituck Economic Development.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtkr.com/2 ... ities/amp/

So these flights are being launched for a vacation package in the Outer Banks. PIT didn’t “throw money” for these flights, that information isn’t out there. OBX wasn’t even a destination near the top of PIT’s wishlist.

But way to let arrogance take over. :roll:

Anyone think that Ultimate has a future in PIT outside of the OBX routes? LUK?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos