TK787
Topic Author

Re: Turkish Aviation May 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am

Looking at March TK presentation; looks like TK postponed 4 x 321NEOs to be delivered this year to 2020. Not sure, why this is, especially with all the MAXs sitting on the tarmac and not being delivered.

mafaky

Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 pm

TK787 wrote:
Looking at March TK presentation; looks like TK postponed 4 x 321NEOs to be delivered this year to 2020. Not sure, why this is, especially with all the MAXs sitting on the tarmac and not being delivered.

Probably they have finally understood that they have been pretty much hormone-grown and actually will not need that many birds for the planned operations (or after some changes to be effected to revise those planned ops.)!!!
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mercure1

Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Airbus NEO production is continuing to run late. Only two weeks ago LH said they would be receiving some 2019 frames in 2020. Same happening at many airlines.
mercure f-wtcc

ramzi

Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Airbus NEO production is continuing to run late. Only two weeks ago LH said they would be receiving some 2019 frames in 2020. Same happening at many airlines.

Yeah, it does not seem like TK took that decision unilaterally, although they may not really mind the delay. I do wonder about those sitting MAXs. Were there older variants that were planned to be retires and replaced by the MAX that have been delayed, or have they simply delayed added routes/frequencies due to the grounding? I know there was mention of a few cancelled routes that were to be operated by a MAX, but that surely doesn't account for all of the frames including undelivered ones that are sitting with Boeing.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

aldrigsomandre

Tue May 21, 2019 2:04 am

ramzi wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Yeah, it does not seem like TK took that decision unilaterally, although they may not really mind the delay. I do wonder about those sitting MAXs. Were there older variants that were planned to be retires and replaced by the MAX that have been delayed, or have they simply delayed added routes/frequencies due to the grounding? I know there was mention of a few cancelled routes that were to be operated by a MAX, but that surely doesn't account for all of the frames including undelivered ones that are sitting with Boeing.

I reckon TK might let go of the MAX order all together like Garuda. The two incidents made passengers much more conscious of the aircraft that they're going to fly with. I regularly get customers asking me to assure them that the aircraft isn't a MAX, even though the whole fleet is globally grounded. It had been a topic of discussion in the Turkish Aviation threads that Turkish customers are not prone to flying with unpopular types of aircraft. (And the mistrust of propeller planes as well.)

HeyTK

Tue May 21, 2019 2:35 pm

Boeing CEO is coming to Turkey for talks with Thy Chairman in regards of the Max issue and a possible compensation. They want this solved before the end of the summer.

http://www.kokpit.aero/thy-boeing-tazminat

MeCe

Tue May 21, 2019 3:23 pm

behramjee wrote:
MeCe wrote:
IAD, ORD, LAX and SFO (may be MIA too) will be 10 weekly in 2020 summer schedule. All additionals will be 787, IAD and ATL will be pure 787.

And how are you so sure of these USA frequency increases for S20 season ?

Pretty sure. It supposed to on sale now but they are waiting some details.

HeyTK

Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 pm

I still cant use the iDeal option to buy a ticket on TK's website.. I had the same issue last summer. Anyone know how to solve this? The customer service agents didnt understand what I was talking about..

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 3:02 am

What is the benefit of using "Ideal" ? I am not familiar with this method.
I have bought dozens of tickets online from TK website using my credit card both here in the US and over in Turkey without problems.

bahadir

Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 am

HeyTK wrote:
So after the windy weather yesterday which lead to some planes not being able to land, a post has surfaced claiming the planes have diverted because IST's current location is not suitable for landings to which scientists have warned against prior.. is this true? I never heard anyone discuss this topic before but it seems to be a important matter for some Turks who are against the new airport. I watched a vlog of a Thy captain and he never mentioned this topic so It sounds like fake news to me.

There is a lot of misinformation about this subject and I am getting sick and tired of people who share every stupid thing they see on social media.
I wrote a lengthy email to one of the reporters that claimed she talked to a pilot with 40 years of experience in the airline. Never got a response back.
Earthbound misfit I

HeyTK

Wed May 22, 2019 9:30 am

TK787 wrote:
What is the benefit of using "Ideal" ? I am not familiar with this method.
I have bought dozens of tickets online from TK website using my credit card both here in the US and over in Turkey without problems.

iDeal is the main method we use for ordering online in the Netherlands and its the only option that I can pay with. I dont have a creditcard and I dont know anyone who does own one here so I am not familliar with them. I guess ill have to book it via a travel agency.

1g

Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

bahadir wrote:
HeyTK wrote:
So after the windy weather yesterday which lead to some planes not being able to land, a post has surfaced claiming the planes have diverted because IST's current location is not suitable for landings to which scientists have warned against prior.. is this true? I never heard anyone discuss this topic before but it seems to be a important matter for some Turks who are against the new airport. I watched a vlog of a Thy captain and he never mentioned this topic so It sounds like fake news to me.

There is a lot of misinformation about this subject and I am getting sick and tired of people who share every stupid thing they see on social media.
I wrote a lengthy email to one of the reporters that claimed she talked to a pilot with 40 years of experience in the airline. Never got a response back.

Are you talking about that so-called pilot that complained about the new airport not having heated runways? LOL

stylo777

Wed May 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Sadly, only a few months after opening, the new airport has seen it's first incident.

A TK B77W on a domestic flight to ESB crashed an electric pole while taxiing out for departure.

https://youtu.be/gM72WYcz6NM

ist2014

Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi all
i Saw at airlineroute tweet and TK web page increase of Tokyo to 11 weekly and resumption of Osaka
It says b789 will be deployed but could not see details
I remember that Osaka could not support 250 seater A332 so I wonder how it fills 300seatwr b 789, any comment
We started to see new routes and frequencies for summer 20, i expect to see a359 announcements and comments as well

behramjee

Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 pm

TK officially announces expansion plans to Southeast Asia from the onset of the IATA S20 season.

New 5 weekly nonstop flights to Osaka.

Tokyo Narita increased from daily to 11 weekly nonstop

Hanoi increased from 6 weekly to daily nonstop

Link https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/ ... s-release/

1g

Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Sadly, only a few months after opening, the new airport has seen it's first incident.

A TK B77W on a domestic flight to ESB crashed an electric pole while taxiing out for departure.

https://youtu.be/gM72WYcz6NM

Seems that it was doing a u-turn to taxi to the runway (It was on the west side of the airport), but entered the wrong taxiway.

Instead of entering the taxiway just parallel to the taxiway the plane hit the tower on, it entered a taxiway marked for "MAX SPAN 36M."

Pretty sure this is the place where the incident took place: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2 ... 28.7510594

The place they turned into the taxiway from seems to have the MAX SPAN 36M looking in the opposite direction, so maybe the pilots thought their direction on the taxiway didn't have an issue with wingspan clearance?

Luckily this incident wasn't anything more serious.

stylo777

Thu May 23, 2019 5:35 am

Better footage available right here: https://youtu.be/QywCYRC-kEE

Still, it's beyond me why:
- the nose was to the South iso North after pushback? See the other aircraft on the footage doing it right.
- if for any reason it was necessary to pushback like this, why do the u-turn instead of just taxiing on the two taxiways behind the tower. It's not like you don't have any space and it's nowhere near close to being tight as at Ataturk airport for instance
- why didn't atc or rampco interfere? Don't they know their airport?
- last, but important question: why did the captain continue with taxi when he should know that his 77W has a wingspan of almost double the size of the taxiway allowance of only 36M

HeyTK

Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am

If I book a flight that shows the B777 as equipment, how likely is that it will change to another aircraft? Its gonna be my first time on the B777 and Im kinda nervous that they will change it to A330.

Turkish777X

Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm

HeyTK wrote:
If I book a flight that shows the B777 as equipment, how likely is that it will change to another aircraft? Its gonna be my first time on the B777 and Im kinda nervous that they will change it to A330.

Which destination and flight no?

HeyTK

Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Turkish777X wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Which destination and flight no?

Izmir to Ist. TK2313.
When I look on flighradar I see that use the A333 on this route as well.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm

HeyTK wrote:

It could happen. I booked a DLM-IST earlier this month on a 77W and A333 showed up.

HeyTK

Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am

SunExpress is operating its first A320 today. It has hired 11 A320 from Avion Express for this summer and is expanding to 84 planes. I suppose the crew is wet leased? How else are they able to find so many airbus pilots in a short time and lose them again after the planes return?

aldrigsomandre

Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am

HeyTK wrote:
SunExpress is operating its first A320 today. It has hired 11 A320 from Avion Express for this summer and is expanding to 84 planes. I suppose the crew is wet leased? How else are they able to find so many airbus pilots in a short time and lose them again after the planes return?

It's a wet-lease indeed.

Also, Sunexpress is leasing ALL the A320's in the Avion Express fleet for the summer. I wonder if this could be the start of a transition to A320's for them as well. They do have a sizable MAX order.

HeyTK

Fri May 24, 2019 11:21 am

How many pilots does that make for 11 aircrafts? I assume SX pays for their hotels in Antalya. Those are some lucky people having an entire summer stay on the beaches of Antalya and also getting money in their pockets!

Yakamoz

Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 pm

HeyTK wrote:

From where do you have the information that all A320s coming from Avion Express?

HeyTK

Fri May 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Yakamoz wrote:
From where do you have the information that all A320s coming from Avion Express?

kokpit.aero and airlinehaber

"Bu yıl Antalya’ya 3.7 milyon gibi rekor bir sayıda koltuk kapasitesi sunan SunExpress, Litvanyalı Avion Express ile bu yaz sezonu için gerçekleştirdiği kiralama anlaşması çerçevesinde 11 adet Airbus A320 uçağını filosuna katılıyor."

Yakamoz

Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 pm

HeyTK wrote:
Yakamoz wrote:

kokpit.aero and airlinehaber

"Bu yıl Antalya’ya 3.7 milyon gibi rekor bir sayıda koltuk kapasitesi sunan SunExpress, Litvanyalı Avion Express ile bu yaz sezonu için gerçekleştirdiği kiralama anlaşması çerçevesinde 11 adet Airbus A320 uçağını filosuna katılıyor."
Thank you!
Avion Express is doing good job this year in Turkey. They have also wet-leased 2 A321 to Onur Air. Will be a base of 13 aircraft in Antalya.

Blerg

Sat May 25, 2019 6:13 am

Some goods news for Turkish travellers (as per airlineroute)

1. KK increases IST-BAH from 2 to 3 weekly, flights operated with the A321.
2. ET is doubling its presence in IST from current 3 weekly to 6, all flights operated with the B738.

I see that KK is also trying to build a transfer hub in Istanbul, isn't it getting a bit too crowded with Pegasus and Turkish Airlines?

stylo777

Sat May 25, 2019 7:43 am

Hard to compare since they don't have the massive feed as TK and PC have. Those flights are usually for O/D demand with some domestic feed.

aldrigsomandre

Sat May 25, 2019 9:05 am

Blerg wrote:
Some goods news for Turkish travellers (as per airlineroute)

2. ET is doubling its presence in IST from current 3 weekly to 6, all flights operated with the B738.

ET offers great fares to Africa and Asia ex-IST. I'm glad they're increasing service.

Blerg

Sat May 25, 2019 9:51 am

stylo777 wrote:
Hard to compare since they don't have the massive feed as TK and PC have. Those flights are usually for O/D demand with some domestic feed.

But isn't that how both TK and PC started out? They first built a presence in markets with considerable O&D before moving onto markets which rely mostly on connections? I just wonder if there is room for a third player since both TK and PC are growing much faster than local Turkish demand is.

stylo777

Sat May 25, 2019 11:13 am

KK and for this matter 8Q tried many things and changed their strategies in very short period of times in a struggle (or challenge...) to define themselves. I see it as a kind of way to profit for short-term opportunities. The historical success of PC was driven by many favorable factors: inexpensive supply of mobility in a prosperous market environment with increasing demand; neglection of SAW by TK in first place; strong financial backup; focussing on the lowcost strategy. In the same market environment XQ tried to establish a hub in SAW as well, but quickly realized their disadvantages thus the focus on ADB and AYT as true leisure airline (not LCC) with main target of connecting Europe. Of course, the longterm wetlease agreement with Anadolujet helps, but even more the fact that your parents actually are two of the strongest players globally namely TK and LH. This not only provides you financial relief, but even more the knowledge of industry experts. I'm not saying KK/8Q are doing wrong business; they just lack the above mentioned advantages to be in a favorable position. For this matter I truly believe that the Turkish domestic market at least needs their presence to keep both TK's and PC's power limited to some extent (at least on the ticket price level). With the same token I don't think that these new routes mainly to the Arabic peninsula will hurt neither both of them. Glad that they go for those market opportunities.

Blerg

Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 am

stylo777 wrote:
KK and for this matter 8Q tried many things and changed their strategies in very short period of times in a struggle (or challenge...) to define themselves. I see it as a kind of way to profit for short-term opportunities. The historical success of PC was driven by many favorable factors: inexpensive supply of mobility in a prosperous market environment with increasing demand; neglection of SAW by TK in first place; strong financial backup; focussing on the lowcost strategy. In the same market environment XQ tried to establish a hub in SAW as well, but quickly realized their disadvantages thus the focus on ADB and AYT as true leisure airline (not LCC) with main target of connecting Europe. Of course, the longterm wetlease agreement with Anadolujet helps, but even more the fact that your parents actually are two of the strongest players globally namely TK and LH. This not only provides you financial relief, but even more the knowledge of industry experts. I'm not saying KK/8Q are doing wrong business; they just lack the above mentioned advantages to be in a favorable position. For this matter I truly believe that the Turkish domestic market at least needs their presence to keep both TK's and PC's power limited to some extent (at least on the ticket price level). With the same token I don't think that these new routes mainly to the Arabic peninsula will hurt neither both of them. Glad that they go for those market opportunities.

Thank you for the clarafication, it's interesting. So what do you think KK will do in the future? Do you think they will just stick to carrying local passengers or could we maybe see them expand in some new markets? Maybe in cities such as Ankara?

aldrigsomandre

Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 am

Blerg wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Thank you for the clarafication, it's interesting. So what do you think KK will do in the future? Do you think they will just stick to carrying local passengers or could we maybe see them expand in some new markets? Maybe in cities such as Ankara?

They're effectively barred from Ankara by the Civil Aviation Authority of Turkey. They tried to launch services to ESB a few years back, we even sold a few connecting tickets from Europe, only to refund them all before the launch - the TK lobby prevailed.

Their best bet would be the holiday market, I reckon.

HeyTK

Sat May 25, 2019 12:07 pm

I believe KK is preparing itself for the Asian market, mainly to connect China with Nevsehir (Cappadoccia).

Blerg

Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

They're effectively barred from Ankara by the Civil Aviation Authority of Turkey. They tried to launch services to ESB a few years back, we even sold a few connecting tickets from Europe, only to refund them all before the launch - the TK lobby prevailed.

That was for IST-ESB, right? I meant more of opening a base in ESB though.

aldrigsomandre

Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Blerg wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
Blerg wrote:

That was for IST-ESB, right? I meant more of opening a base in ESB though.

Oh yes, IST-ESB, sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been.

stylo777

Sat May 25, 2019 9:35 pm

PC is pushing more and more into the ESB market with direct flights to SAW, AYT, ADB, BJV and ECN (domestically) and VIE, FRA, DUS, EBL, AMM, KBP internationally, just a name a few. With Anadolujet around, this is a lost game for them right from the beginning.

upintheair2018

Sat May 25, 2019 9:49 pm

TC-LLA has been painted in full livery. https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 4706211840

HeyTK

Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm

So there is a rumour going around that the new airport is being "sold"? I didnt read into it but i see several posts and videos on youtube talking about it. I'd rather ask the people here. Is this true or just a rumour?

AirAY

Sun May 26, 2019 4:10 am

upintheair2018 wrote:
TC-LLA has been painted in full livery. https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/11 ... 4706211840

Is see in the standard grey belly? And also does she gets the Tulip.

aldrigsomandre

Sun May 26, 2019 9:02 am

HeyTK wrote:
So there is a rumour going around that the new airport is being "sold"? I didnt read into it but i see several posts and videos on youtube talking about it. I'd rather ask the people here. Is this true or just a rumour?

There's a Bloomberg report on it, they've been pretty spot on with these kinds of news in the past:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... stake-sale

TK105

Sun May 26, 2019 4:58 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

There's a Bloomberg report on it, they've been pretty spot on with these kinds of news in the past:

I heard that TAV is closely following the issue and lobbying the ruling party. But I don’t think that there is a finalized sales. The only thing which is clear to everybody is that “contructors” are not fit for operations. I hear rumors that TK is complaining a lot among the government about poor operations and loss of revenue and pax.
The future is in the skies.

aldrigsomandre

Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 pm

TK105 wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

I heard that TAV is closely following the issue and lobbying the ruling party. But I don’t think that there is a finalized sales. The only thing which is clear to everybody is that “contructors” are not fit for operations. I hear rumors that TK is complaining a lot among the government about poor operations and loss of revenue and pax.

I flew in from Dubai on an EK flight 2 weeks ago, had to walk 2 km's (as evidenced by Google Maps' indoor tracking.) before going through customs. I then had to wait 2 hours to get my luggage by the belt. Literally everyone was complaining of the distances and the luggage wait. I had the chance to talk to some Turkish citizens, all of whom questioned the move, 2 people have said "We voted for them and got this crap.". I was surprised to hear so many people criticising the gov't in Turkey.

I also noticed some rushed construction work: The paint job wasn't done properly etc.

Maybe TAV would do a better job indeed.

1g

Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm not surprised that there is operational hiccups with the new airport. It would be extraordinary if everything went smoothly.

With that being said, I think companies like TAV, who actually have decades of experience running airport ops, would be better suited for running IST.

MeCe

Mon May 27, 2019 5:29 am

TK105 wrote:
aldrigsomandre wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

Most probably THY-TAV and may be QATAR jv. I heard they (IGA) not so happy dealing ops headaches. I guess they dreamed just count money comes from per pax, every other thing will be handled by others. Unfortunately truth hurts; much.

THY748i

Mon May 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi, just saw KK operating AYT-SSH on FR24 and see that 8Q offers flights between the two cities as well. What kind of traffic does this serve? For all I know neither KK nor 8Q have a big hub operation at AYT and I‘d be surprised to learn that citizens of Antalya like to go there on beach holiday let alone in late spring / summer.

mafaky

Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 pm

As for Istanbul Airport "to be sold", that's a very big misinterpretation.

All the facilities and those to-be-built ones as well as the land itself belongs to the State. The four IGA partners (as of today) have the rights or a BOTS licence to operate this Airport for a period of 25 years, starting from 30th October 2018. What they can sell (in part, I suppose) is the said licence...

It's very clear that, as of today, IGA owns nearly 6 billion € to Banks. They are obliged to pay over 1 billion € per year to the State (The first 1.5 or so payments that will start theoretically on 31st Oct. 2019 has been deferred until the end of this 25-year period...). They practically have enough money hopefully to finish the third runway, for which earth flattening has been already started. After that, they will have no money. Sure, they do have a lot of channels for the income: these are not as limited as TAV is limited at AHL (today's ISL) or the others. Still all the incomes cannot balance (or barely balance) the outcomes and there's no budget left for the building of the second terminal (the latest rumors is that it's going to be the twin of the present, but to be built at a slower pace between 2020/21 till 2025), three more runways, a second ATC Tower, etc. In short, they definitely and desperately need a new partner to pour in finance as IGA Consortium has no chances left to obtain any additional 6-7 billion € of fresh credit from domestic or international finance markets, over a period of the next 5-6 years.

So, what they are looking for is a "new and somehow co-operative and perhaps a bit naive cow to milk"! In that sense TAV is not the ideal partner. And it cannot be TAV itself; maybe ADF with some assistance from TAV. BTW: Currently, IGA's labor force is actually flooding with the transfers they have made from TAV Management (esp. from TAV IT) and from TAV's field staff at AHL. In that sense, TAV has already made a major contribution to this project.

My gutfeel is that the "new cow" is going to be the State of Qatar (represented by Qatar AirwaysGroup) with a max 49% share. I've been hearing insider rumors about the footsteps of Qatar for some time but have ket quiet about these to see more solid evidence.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

HeyTK

Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 pm

According to kokpit.aero Qatar "has pushed the button" to send the a380 to IST:)

mercure1

Tue May 28, 2019 3:30 am

As previously posted by LAXIntl seems TK indeed launching service to Xi'an China

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/201 ... cotta-army

Story says Xiamen is next after Xi'an and total 8 new China cities under review.
mercure f-wtcc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos