edealinfo

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm

vadodara wrote:

I hope DL succeeds; if it does then there is some hope.

Hope for what?

edealinfo

Fri May 03, 2019 6:30 pm

vadodara wrote:

Hope for what?????

YouGeeElWhy

Fri May 03, 2019 6:43 pm

edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Hope for what?????
Getting more direct flights between India and the US to cities other than DEL/BOM.

vadodara

Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Hope for what?????
Getting more direct flights between India and the US to cities other than DEL/BOM.

For a AA or UA ORD/DEL-BOM at a minimum.

At a stretch, SFO/LAX/DFW/IAH/ATL/DCA for the same. Outside of DEL/BOM, best shot is for BLR to possibly SFO but that is still a long shot.

vadodara

Fri May 03, 2019 9:42 pm

unrave wrote:
Top 20 airports by total passenger traffic
Source: https://networkthoughts.com/2019/05/01/ ... -in-india/
BLR 3 HYD 6.
6>3 therefore HYD is bigger airport than BLR.

BOM 'hub' was flat, possibly due to saturation. Perhaps, should see a dip for 2019.

Interesting mix of airports in the +20% growth category. Perhaps resources will be allocated properly.

CaliguyNYC

Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 pm

vadodara wrote:
unrave wrote:
BLR 3 HYD 6.

BOM 'hub' was flat, possibly due to saturation. Perhaps, should see a dip for 2019.

Interesting mix of airports in the +20% growth category. Perhaps resources will be allocated properly.

I think BOM will see a big dip.A lot of Jet’s international capacity wont come back. Even if the route comes back, highly unlikely 77W will be used. Let’s see how it affects tourist arrivals as well. I think there will be a drop in arrivals from UK, France and Netherlands. Goa could feel the pain this winter.

avier

Sun May 05, 2019 6:45 am

₹500 Crore To Get 19 Grounded Aircraft Operational of Air-India

https://www.ndtv.com/business/air-india-earmarks-rs-500-crore-to-get-19-grounded-aircraft-operational-2033140

After all AI gets the privilege to misuse public money and none will or can say anything about it.

edealinfo

Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

avier wrote:
₹500 Crore To Get 19 Grounded Aircraft Operational of Air-India

https://www.ndtv.com/business/air-india-earmarks-rs-500-crore-to-get-19-grounded-aircraft-operational-2033140

After all AI gets the privilege to misuse public money and none will or can say anything about it.

Actually, I support this move. I think airlines lose less money if airplanes are flying than sitting on the ground.

vadodara

Sun May 05, 2019 7:54 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
vadodara wrote:
unrave wrote:
BLR 3 HYD 6.

I think BOM will see a big dip.A lot of Jet’s international capacity wont come back. Even if the route comes back, highly unlikely 77W will be used. Let’s see how it affects tourist arrivals as well. I think there will be a drop in arrivals from UK, France and Netherlands. Goa could feel the pain this winter.

We have a lot in common then we think.

Concur no wife body is going to fly out anytime soon with the exception of LHR and possibly CDG/JFK etc.

The slots will be replaced, very profitabily, with a bunch of narrow bodies.

edealinfo

Sun May 05, 2019 8:25 pm

vadodara wrote:

Do you mean Indigo? Zero chance as of now. They are going after destinations within 5 hours and chasing BOM and DEL slots for domestic operations. By the time they get interested in AMS and CDG, Jet's slots will be forfeited by the airport authorities. In any case, the Indian Government has no authority to allocate (Jet's) AMS and CDG slots

vadodara

Sun May 05, 2019 11:41 pm

edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Do you mean Indigo? Zero chance as of now. They are going after destinations within 5 hours and chasing BOM and DEL slots for domestic operations. By the time they get interested in AMS and CDG, Jet's slots will be forfeited by the airport authorities. In any case, the Indian Government has no authority to allocate (Jet's) AMS and CDG slots

Huh? Why does profitable slot have to equal ‘AMS’ or CDG?

If all of these routes were so profitable why did 9W go bust!

edealinfo

Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 am

vadodara wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Huh? Why does profitable slot have to equal ‘AMS’ or CDG?

If all of these routes were so profitable why did 9W go bust!

Here is what you said "Concur no wife body is going to fly out anytime soon with the exception of LHR and possibly CDG/JFK etc. The slots will be replaced, very profitably, with a bunch of narrow bodies." How is one supposed to interpret it other than the way that I did?

vadodara

Mon May 06, 2019 2:46 am

Spice, Vistara et al.

AirIndia

Mon May 06, 2019 6:35 am

unrave wrote:
BLR 3 HYD 6.

Thanks for sharing. Surprised that no airport north of Delhi made the list. ATQ I believe is 21st.... guess Indo-Canadian is the real winner there....

anshabhi

Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 am

AirIndia wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Surprised that no airport north of Delhi made the list. ATQ I believe is 21st.... guess Indo-Canadian is the real winner there....

Only mountains and militancy lie north of delhi. No business

pune

Mon May 06, 2019 8:11 am

anshabhi wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

I don't think so. If done well, marketed well there is and would be enough business to drive business there. For instance if we can have direct flights to Shimla, Nainital or any of the other places there would be lot of business to pull in. Delhi upwards there is enough to drive business but it has to be taken up and it should be cheap enough so it all works out. For this all airports would need to build capacity, Pune of all although dunno if we can expand more than what we have expanded :(

JOYA380B747

Mon May 06, 2019 10:30 am

anshabhi wrote:

Wow mate, talk about such a shallow statement from (assuming) a fellow Indian!!!

North of Delhi includes areas some which have for decades, been the 'Bread basket' and the most agriculturally fertile regions of India, in Punjab. Not to mention their Dairy, Sugar, Textile industries. Nor to also forget the Massive Pharmaceutical Industries, about 25% of nation's Hydroelectric Power generation, and rich agriculture in Himachal Pradesh, which lest you forgot, is also North of Delhi.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

VTCIE

Mon May 06, 2019 10:48 am

anshabhi wrote:
AirIndia wrote:

Business: ATQ and IXC. Tourism: DED/Dehradun, IXL/Leh and, to a negligible extent as far as aviation is concerned, SLV/Shimla.
Last edited by VTCIE on Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

anshabhi

Mon May 06, 2019 10:49 am

JOYA380B747 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Wow mate, talk about such a shallow statement from (assuming) a fellow Indian!!!

North of Delhi includes areas some which have for decades, been the 'Bread basket' and the most agriculturally fertile regions of India, in Punjab. Not to mention their Dairy, Sugar, Textile industries. Nor to also forget the Massive Pharmaceutical Industries, about 25% of nation's Hydroelectric Power generation, and rich agriculture in Himachal Pradesh, which lest you forgot, is also North of Delhi.

I should rephrase my statement. Apologies.

The incomes North of Delhi don't support air travel on a large scale. Also train connectivity in the northern hills is better than that in the southern hills. Though buses are a lot better in Southern India.

The richest city North of Delhi- Chandigarh has only 5 flights a day currently thanks to a variety of factors

Airports like Calicut have a big gulf component, which is simply missing for northern hilly cities

pune

Mon May 06, 2019 5:30 pm

anshabhi wrote:

I should rephrase my statement. Apologies.

The incomes North of Delhi don't support air travel on a large scale. Also train connectivity in the northern hills is better than that in the southern hills. Though buses are a lot better in Southern India.

The richest city North of Delhi- Chandigarh has only 5 flights a day currently thanks to a variety of factors

Airports like Calicut have a big gulf component, which is simply missing for northern hilly cities

There are again some in-built assumptions therein. Let's assume there are services there and it adds more tourist. More tourists means more ideas, more businesses. For e.g. Himachal, Garwahal and even Uttranchal has possibility to do lot of horticulture and tourism related businesses. They are always on tourist maps, not just of Indians but also of Westerners.

Just to share https://www.holidify.com/collections/hi ... e-to-india although it says 'hippy' there is lot of crowd which would come in if there is support. And a single airport could probably serve about 100-150 km round about. So it is possible, provided the Government creates the necessary infrastructure and tourists are also served well. And most of these places are and can be open 6-9 months. There is lot of upside if the local Governments and people get serious.

JOYA380B747

Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 am

anshabhi wrote:

1. IXC/Chandigarh has between 25-30 flights a day with a sprawling new terminal!! Man, are you so far down South in 'Kings Landing' that you have no idea of 'The North'?!!! (Pun intended) Chandigarh also has the highest per capita income of any city in India, and has been so since decades. It also has the most regulated & strict law & order scene of any major city of India.

2. A significant chunk of passengers (over and above the paltry 25-30 daliy flights) also travel to DEL to take their flights owing to a great network of road and rail network between the two cities (approx 300kms road distance)

3. IXC is the most important AFB, AFAIK, in the Northern frontier, and also the base for the C-17 Globemaster s and soon to be added Chinook CH-47 helicopters of IAF. It presence is extremely criticial for all kinds of supplies & equipment to all defense bases in the North. In current times its use has been unparalleled thanks to ongoing hostilities across the borders nearby. Commercial a/c movement hence, is always given a second priority at IXC.

4. While South has the "gulf component", IXC & ATQ have the Canada, UK and US components. But close proximity of DEL and Air Force base at IXC makes direct flights to IXC from abroad almost non-existent.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

unrave

Tue May 07, 2019 5:10 am

Ronojoy Dutta has confirmed that IndiGo is in talks with Airbus to place another large order including the Airbus A321XLRs
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ow-organic
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

ameya

Tue May 07, 2019 5:24 am

Airline capacity crisis in the sky: Does it affect your international holiday plan?

There has been a lot of talk about the capacity crisis and subsequent increase in fares in the Indian skies. Airlines are trying very hard to get over the crisis by inducting new aircraft – either by speeding up the deliveries or in some cases taking up aircraft from lessors who are terminating lease with Jet Airways.

What is not talked about is the impact of this on international passengers and what this crisis means for foreigners travelling to India as well as outbound tourist and business travel from India. The airline had five main hubs which comprised of Amsterdam, Paris, London, Singapore and Hong Kong. At each of these places, the airline had strong code-share partnerships with which it helped feed to umpteen destinations beyond these five hubs.

TEMPO

Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm

I was shocked to see the airline capacity crisis in numbers, just using BOM-DEL as an example for my own information.

In 2018, there were 61 daily one-way flights on average between the airports, based on sources such as Wikipedia and Aviation websites, and partly on my own memory.

Today, Google tells me that there are 31-35 daily one-way flights between BOM and DEL, depending on the day of the week.

For comparison, DEL-BLR has 33-37 daily one-way flights as of Google’s information today.

I knew Jet’s shutdown had hit BOM and India domestic routes hard, but I had no idea of the magnitudes till I searched for the information.

hohd

Tue May 07, 2019 1:09 pm

JOYA380B747 wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

4. While South has the "gulf component", IXC & ATQ have the Canada, UK and US components. But close proximity of DEL and Air Force base at IXC makes direct flights to IXC from abroad almost non-existent.

South also has US component much more than northern Indian cities, heavy IT and VFR traffic flows from HYD (more VFR than IT), followed by BLR and MAA. But the point is well taken, DEL airport traffic catchment area is much of No. India and E. India for international and of course since it is the capital it will get good domestic traffic. However with Indigo, Spice Jet and Air Asia there are more direct flights from BOM and southern metros to No. Indian cities other than DEL..

CaliguyNYC

Tue May 07, 2019 2:05 pm

ameya wrote:
Airline capacity crisis in the sky: Does it affect your international holiday plan?

There has been a lot of talk about the capacity crisis and subsequent increase in fares in the Indian skies. Airlines are trying very hard to get over the crisis by inducting new aircraft – either by speeding up the deliveries or in some cases taking up aircraft from lessors who are terminating lease with Jet Airways.

What is not talked about is the impact of this on international passengers and what this crisis means for foreigners travelling to India as well as outbound tourist and business travel from India. The airline had five main hubs which comprised of Amsterdam, Paris, London, Singapore and Hong Kong. At each of these places, the airline had strong code-share partnerships with which it helped feed to umpteen destinations beyond these five hubs.

The loss of 3 X 77W flights between BOM & LHR has got to hurt. Plus Jet's 9:30am departure from BOM was an usually timed BOM-EU flight (which I loved taking - such a pleasure to leave at that time).

unnayan

Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm

This is funny if true.. AI sends money to Nigeria accidentally...

https://www.timesnownews.com/amp/busine ... irm/413877

lightsaber

Tue May 07, 2019 4:16 pm

unnayan wrote:
This is funny if true.. AI sends money to Nigeria accidentally...

https://www.timesnownews.com/amp/busine ... irm/413877

Now I know how the Nigerian prince made good on his debt to me.
You know nothing John Snow.

edealinfo

Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 am

SpiceJet offers business class seats at 30-40% less than competitors

https://www.financialexpress.com/indust ... s/1571638/

Blerg

Wed May 08, 2019 6:16 am

Asiana has closed bookings for its ICN-DEL route. Some weeks ago the airline reported Delhi was one of its top underperforming routes.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... july-2019/

pushpakvimaan

Wed May 08, 2019 6:41 am

Mumbai airport main runway is closed. Secondary runway in operation due to IAF plane overshooting the runway.
No significant delays yet

https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-n ... oleTI.html

killswitch13

Wed May 08, 2019 6:49 am

Vistara plans to acquire Jet’s 777

EmoticonsAllDay

Wed May 08, 2019 7:09 am

killswitch13 wrote:

Source?

unnayan

Wed May 08, 2019 7:31 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

Source?

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 46451.html

anshabhi

Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am

edealinfo wrote:

This is game changing. Instead of modifying the 9W a/c SG is going ahead to introduce SpiceBiz.
Let's see how their diversion into FSC space plays out

EmoticonsAllDay

Wed May 08, 2019 10:01 am

anshabhi wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

This is game changing. Instead of modifying the 9W a/c SG is going ahead to introduce SpiceBiz.

I don't think they are venturing into the FSC space. It looks to me as though they are imitating Scoot (they have ScootBiz on their 788 and 789 aircrafts) who are still being advertised as LCC. But the likely hood of success of this strategy with SG will definitely vary as Scoot offers ScootBiz only on their longhauls.

avier

Wed May 08, 2019 11:46 am

SpiceJet officially launches Business Class, which will be available only on its 9W inducted aircraft network. I'm guessing that's mostly out of BOM/DEL.
Mumbai-Delhi fares for this cabin are approx INR 15,999.

CaliguyNYC

Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

anshabhi wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

I think it is a great idea. Biz should only exist on routes that warrant it (say BOM-DEL). They should follow GO's lead and have a euro style business class on other routes (coach seats with extra leg room and leave the middle seat empty). Call it coach when not needed or box when needed (maybe have the first two rows be this).

pushpakvimaan

Wed May 08, 2019 1:58 pm

I believe this is likely to be the final outcome of the LCC and FSC. Similar to USA, where in economy you pay for luggage, meal and your seat, while you enjoy premier facilities in the business class. Indian FSC will finally evolve to the same model as they compete with LCC more and more.

Blerg

Wed May 08, 2019 4:17 pm

What will Vistara do with the B777s? Didn't they plan on ordering some B787s? Does this change their previous plans?

CaliguyNYC

Wed May 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
What will Vistara do with the B777s? Didn't they plan on ordering some B787s? Does this change their previous plans?

Maybe it will be a 3 year or so wet lease? New uniforms and repaint and they are all set

anshabhi

Wed May 08, 2019 6:33 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Maybe it will be a 3 year or so wet lease? New uniforms and repaint and they are all set

The report was attributed to unknown anonymous sources. The same organisms who have said things like 9W will be given money by night and I don't believe any of it.

Flywithus

Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am

Does anybody know the new registrations of ex Jet Airways aircrafts flying for SpiceJet. Quite a few of them are flying and somehow they're being tracked by FR24 but registration is unknown e.g SG 277 .

avier

Thu May 09, 2019 7:45 am

Flywithus wrote:
Does anybody know the new registrations of ex Jet Airways aircrafts flying for SpiceJet. Quite a few of them are flying and somehow they're being tracked by FR24 but registration is unknown e.g SG 277 .

They will start with the VT-SY* series for now for ex-9W birds, till they run out of characters.

Flywithus

Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am

As per SpiceJet website 10 ex Jet Airways aircrafts have joined the fleet. Surprisingly, they've kept all the business class seats on the 737-900. Will they be able to fill those?
https://www.spicejet.com/Fleet.aspx

EmoticonsAllDay

Fri May 10, 2019 4:36 am

Apparently, according to insider sources, Vistara's expansion in both domestic and international market stagnated only due to the lack of slots at DEL and BOM. Now with Jet out of the picture, Vistara is purchasing the B777s and A330s of Jet only to fly to destinations like LHR and other American cities, which could be started at a very short notice after the purchase goes through as the crew is to be wet leased. They have also asked Boeing to deliver their 787s (due for delivery in 2020) as soon as possible before the slated dates. Could someone verify the integrity of this information?

If this were true, will Vistara be able to sustain the rapid expansion or is this the start of another one biting the dust?

Antarius

Fri May 10, 2019 7:37 am

Why is the flightaware logo for 6E a humanoid shaped banana in front of a blue tail?

https://e0.flightcdn.com/images/airline ... px/IGO.png
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD MEL DEN BLR MAA DEL KTM YYZ MEX

dtw2hyd

Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 am

EmoticonsAllDay wrote:
or is this the start of another one biting the dust?

On any given route operator with the lowest trip cost wins the financial race. The operator with the lowest CASM wins the internet.

Widebody Ops -> Debt -> Demise
Full Service Ops - Loss -> Demise
ULH Ops -> Loss -> Demise

6x789s are borderline balance sheet busters, 10 more WBs with FSC/Hybrid on LH/ULH missions add 25,000 Crores to Tata Group debt pile

unrave

Fri May 10, 2019 12:04 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
On any given route operator with the lowest trip cost wins the financial race. The operator with the lowest CASM wins the internet.

Can someone translate this into English please. I did not study Masters in Computer Science course.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 pm

unrave wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Can someone translate this into English please. I did not study Masters in Computer Science course.

1. It means airlines ordering A321 over A320 do not know what they are doing.
2. Obviously the airlines cramming in more seats, which increases trip costs, have no idea what they are doing.
3. The 787 is the only widebody to consider vand the NMA will rule the market. ;)

Or, many users attempts to describe yield management have failed and someone will be surprised which airlines thrive.

Lightsaber
You know nothing John Snow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos