https://facebook.com/Airindia

They deserve their praise for such out of the box strategies :white:

What will the bully do now? ;)

avier

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am

anshabhi wrote:
Anyone noticed the many cheeky ads on AI fb page recently:

I don't think many people even follow AI's social media pages.
But if their directing theirs ads towards LCC's, then they should realise they ain't one themselves and should consider competing with the FSC league carriers.

anshabhi

Sat May 18, 2019 8:26 am

avier wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

But if their directing theirs ads towards LCC's, then they should realise they ain't one themselves and should consider competing with the FSC league carriers.

Excluding AI, that would mean they can compete with only 5% of remaining market

avier

Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 am

anshabhi wrote:
avier wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

Excluding AI, that would mean they can compete with only 5% of remaining market

Domestic is not the only market. There's a world beyond that, very relevant to AI.

pune

Sat May 18, 2019 2:54 pm

unnayan wrote:
anshabhi wrote:

https://facebook.com/Airindia

They deserve their praise for such out of the box strategies :white:

What will the bully do now? ;)

At least to me it seems to be taking pot shots at spicejet, dunno how Indigo is being referred here.

avier

Sat May 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Air India will be launching two new flights to Dubai ; from Mumbai & Delhi each, using 9W's int'l flying rights. The schedule for the new Air India flights from June 1, 2019 are:

AI911 BOM2335 – 0130(+1 day)DXB 788 D
AI912 DXB0250 – 0735BOM 788 D

AI915 DEL1650 – 1930DXB 788 D
AI916 DXB2040 – 0200(+1day)DEL 788 D

The flights are currently bookable till September 30, 2019, for now.

Slash787

Sat May 18, 2019 3:59 pm

I wish Vistara launched flights to Dubai from Bombay and Delhi rather than Air India.

anshabhi

Sat May 18, 2019 4:06 pm

avier wrote:
Air India will be launching two new flights to Dubai ; from Mumbai & Delhi each, using 9W's int'l flying rights. The schedule for the new Air India flights from June 1, 2019 are:

AI911 BOM2335 – 0130(+1 day)DXB 788 D
AI912 DXB0250 – 0735BOM 788 D

AI915 DEL1650 – 1930DXB 788 D
AI916 DXB2040 – 0200(+1day)DEL 788 D

The flights are currently bookable till September 30, 2019, for now.

Good to see They are increasing B788 utilisation as no New aircraft are coming.

avier wrote:
Domestic is not the only market. There's a world beyond that, very relevant to AI.

Correct.
However I think AI competes on international flights by offering non stop flights rather than good service.

Bhadra

Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Press release by Ronojoy Dutta on the ongoing saga at IndiGo:

https://www.goindigo.in/content/dam/goi ... ur-CEO.pdf

edealinfo

Sat May 18, 2019 5:40 pm

Slash787 wrote:
I wish Vistara launched flights to Dubai from Bombay and Delhi rather than Air India.

They don't have enough aircraft and would have to increase their capacity beyond 50% for which they just signed on for 10 ex-jet B 737 aircraft. Maybe they should have gone in for a 75% increase or even 100%. Tatas surely has the cash but unfortunately not the kahunas, which Spicejet has.

The big winner in Jet's downfall is SpiceJet which is able to take on 28 of Jet's ex B 737 aircraft and grab key slots at BOM and DEL. With Indian airport infrastructure hugely capacity-constrained, the early bird catches the worm. You will know the value of SpiceJet's bold decision in 3 to 5 years when there will be zero commercially viable slots at BOM, DEL, Goa, Pune, Madras and Calcutta.

binayak

Mon May 20, 2019 8:28 am

AI has officially shut JFK BOM citing low demand - what a filthy excuse! PDEW for NYC BOM is 400+ . !!
Why can't they just accept that their product is not at all competitive and they don't have enough corporate contracts to make this route work?
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

anshabhi

Mon May 20, 2019 11:07 am

binayak wrote:
AI has officially shut JFK BOM citing low demand - what a filthy excuse! PDEW for NYC BOM is 400+ . !!
Why can't they just accept that their product is not at all competitive and they don't have enough corporate contracts to make this route work?

Is 400+ enough to fill a B77W and 100's of 1 stop connections? AI's decision is in everyway sensible.

More pitiful thing is there's a demand of only 400 daily pax for BOM-NYC.

Also don't forget DL is launching a nonstop flight already. No point in flying empty B77W for 16 hours

vadodara

Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am

binayak wrote:

Not enough Class F seats perhaps?

dtw2hyd

Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 pm

binayak wrote:
AI has officially shut JFK BOM citing low demand - what a filthy excuse! PDEW for NYC BOM is 400+

I think the analysis of upcoming DL's JFK-BOM performance will be a little easier without AI. Otherwise, any downside to DL will be contributed to AI. Even 18 years later there is a strong belief that AA cancelled ORD-DEL because of AI.

About NYC-BOM 400+ PDEW

Non-stops- AI, UA
One stops - EK, EY, QR, TK, GF, KU, SV, DL, KL, AF, VS, KQ,ET, BA, LH, LX, CX, CA, CZ, MU, ET

400 seems to be low considering available options.

edealinfo

Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Pet the Economic Times, Vistara has applied for Jet’s slots to Dubai, Hong Kong, Qatar, Singapore and UK.

In other news, in the same newspaper, the Government’s initial plan is to first allocate slots to Air India (which would get 50 percent of the lucarative routes), and then distribute the remaining by ASK or available seat kilometers which would favor larger carriers such as Indigo.

edealinfo

Mon May 20, 2019 12:56 pm

The link below outlines the Indian Government’s plan for allocation of slots. This is a terrible allocation in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economic ... 405006.cms

lightsaber

Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 pm

edealinfo wrote:
The link below outlines the Indian Government’s plan for allocation of slots. This is a terrible allocation in my opinion.

Poorly done. It should be in rotation and when slots will be used.
You know nothing John Snow.

binayak

Mon May 20, 2019 1:31 pm

anshabhi wrote:
binayak wrote:

Is 400+ enough to fill a B77W and 100's of 1 stop connections? AI's decision is in everyway sensible.

Also don't forget DL is launching a nonstop flight already. No point in flying empty B77W for 16 hours

I'm not saying that the O&D is enough . I just said that AI is blaming the wrong reason . Regarding 400 being "pitiful" , name another US-India city pair having more than that .
Thing is if AI had a decent product and good amount of corp contracts , they would've won a lot of O&D say at least 90-100 daily even if there are "hundreds of 1-stops" . And had there been well timed connections for this flight , then the connecting traffic would've made up for the rest . They can't compete and that's why cannot sustain themselves in this competitive market . No excuses for that .

vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Sorry man , but don't worry STV/BDQ - EWR will soon happen to be a daily non stop 77W ! BOM will just have domestic flights . That's all.

lightsaber

Mon May 20, 2019 1:37 pm

vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Premium traffic drives a ULH route viability. It the high value J/F traffic isn't there, it doesn't matter how many under $2,000 Y fares there are. My opinion is premium traffic has other preferences.

Lightsaber

CaliguyNYC

Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 pm

edealinfo wrote:

How does the GOI not care about having a variety of carriers flying the routes. Also for routes that are not seat capped but rather frequency capped, shouldn’t the type of aircraft be a key decision? So if Vistara will fly a 787 between BOM-HKG over a A320 on Indigo, shouldn’t Vistara get the route? Also AI getting half is just a joke. They had many of these routes and pulled out. Ai should focus on improving their product and making money. They have enough prestige routes that lost money.

pune

Mon May 20, 2019 4:43 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
How does the GOI not care about having a variety of carriers flying the routes. Also for routes that are not seat capped but rather frequency capped, shouldn’t the type of aircraft be a key decision? So if Vistara will fly a 787 between BOM-HKG over a A320 on Indigo, shouldn’t Vistara get the route? Also AI getting half is just a joke. They had many of these routes and pulled out. Ai should focus on improving their product and making money. They have enough prestige routes that lost money.

Could you elaborate why you think Vistara should have got the routes rather than Indigo, is it because of the aircrafts that you mentioned, or something else. I do understand the part that GOI's idea should be to improve competition between players but then shouldn't there have been some discussion between the players and GOI regarding fleet expansion and utilization and then slots given. In the same thread, somebody had shared that Vistara didn't buy more aircraft while Spicejet did and they along with Indigo benefited more than the other airlines. From what I have been reading here and elsewhere, it seems yeilds and fares are going to remain high for another couple of years or so, domestically as well internationally, especially till both Airport expansions don't really happen and there aren't any new players in the Indian market.

VTORD

Mon May 20, 2019 5:06 pm

anshabhi wrote:

True that. 400 seems to be extremely low for BOM-NYC. that being the case, definitely good decision.

binayak wrote:

I'm not saying that the O&D is enough . I just said that AI is blaming the wrong reason . Regarding 400 being "pitiful" , name another US-India city pair having more than that .
Thing is if AI had a decent product and good amount of corp contracts , they would've won a lot of O&D say at least 90-100 daily even if there are "hundreds of 1-stops" . And had there been well timed connections for this flight , then the connecting traffic would've made up for the rest . They can't compete and that's why cannot sustain themselves in this competitive market . No excuses for that .

AI may be "citing" the correct reason. It is very likely they are not filling up the 77W. The only issue is we are talking symptom v root cause. Note that the same article says that DEL flights are consistently recording a LF of 80+. Wonder what the numbers are on the EWR flight then.

If other Indian cities do not have that level of O&D to NYC, it does not automatically change the fact that for a market the size of BOM & NYC, 400 IS a very low number.

You make good points in your argument about making the flight work, but this is AI. If they had that kind of operational common sense, would they be in the position they are in?

unnayan

Mon May 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Amidst all negative news for Air India.. some positive news... really good gesture from Cabin Crew

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trend ... 1.html/amp

edealinfo

Mon May 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Business Standard newspaper is reporting that the Hindujas, Etihad and SBI are meeting in Abu Dhabi on May 23 to explore a final attempt at a revival for Jet.

Why would the Hindujas be interested in Jet? There is no money to be made.

edealinfo

Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 pm

lightsaber wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

What does “rotation” mean? You certainly didn’t mean a different carrier operating the route every season, did you?

CaliguyNYC

Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 am

pune wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:

Could you elaborate why you think Vistara should have got the routes rather than Indigo, is it because of the aircrafts that you mentioned, or something else. I do understand the part that GOI's idea should be to improve competition between players but then shouldn't there have been some discussion between the players and GOI regarding fleet expansion and utilization and then slots given. In the same thread, somebody had shared that Vistara didn't buy more aircraft while Spicejet did and they along with Indigo benefited more than the other airlines. From what I have been reading here and elsewhere, it seems yeilds and fares are going to remain high for another couple of years or so, domestically as well internationally, especially till both Airport expansions don't really happen and there aren't any new players in the Indian market.

Hong Kong has a frequency cap not seats, so the GOI should award flights based on aircraft size and competition (meaning having as many carriers fly the routes as possible). If Vistara offered to fly a 787 on say BOM-HKG, they should get the route over Indigo. What ever J class travel 9W had on BOM-HKG will now basically go to CX. But if Vistara may not have pitched a 787 so then Indiago is ok.

CaliguyNYC

Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 am

[photoid][/photoid]
edealinfo wrote:
Business Standard newspaper is reporting that the Hindujas, Etihad and SBI are meeting in Abu Dhabi on May 23 to explore a final attempt at a revival for Jet.

I agree it is odd. But the Hindujas are deeply embedded in ME business. I bet they have close ties to the UAE govt. So there could be something more going on. I have no evidence. Just my gut. I think EY wants an Indian partner that they control

TEMPO

Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 am

unnayan wrote:
Amidst all negative news for Air India.. some positive news... really good gesture from Cabin Crew

Anecdotes do boost morale, especially under the current national and aviation situations. Good story.

edealinfo

Tue May 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Since delta owns 49 percent of Virgin Atlantic, it appears that the combine has collectively introduced 2 new flights, LHR to BOM and JFK to BOM. What’s next or are they done? I think LHR to BLR would be an ideal route to capture some more of Jet’s traffic between USA and India and Virgin is perfect for this route.

When will American Airlines return to India now that United and Delta are already in.....,or will AA leave it entirely up to British Airways which hasn’t done much since Jet collapsed other than adding 4 flights a week to BOM.

sturmovik

Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Well you know what they say.. to make a small fortune in aviation, you start with a larger fortune.
'What's it doing now?'

lightsaber

Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm

edealinfo wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

What does “rotation” mean? You certainly didn’t mean a different carrier operating the route every season, did you?

By rotation, Airlines sit around a table and pick slots. Auction by start date. Something fair to allocate. Airlines expanding quickly will naturally gain more slots.

Lightsaber

edealinfo

Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Jet airways 2.0 per McKinsey consulting (isn’t this common sense....what new value is McKinsey bringing to the table?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thehin ... 6.ece/amp/

CaliguyNYC

Tue May 21, 2019 9:10 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Jet airways 2.0 per McKinsey consulting (isn’t this common sense....what new value is McKinsey bringing to the table?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thehin ... 6.ece/amp/

This is almost criminal. I mean it just leads people along. That said, if Jet is really savable, then this makes sense, I don’t know what to believe any more.

vadodara

Tue May 21, 2019 9:15 pm

lightsaber wrote:
vadodara wrote:
binayak wrote:

Premium traffic drives a ULH route viability. It the high value J/F traffic isn't there, it doesn't matter how many under $2,000 Y fares there are. My opinion is premium traffic has other preferences.

Lightsaber

Yes but this begs the question:
How large is the market in the first place?
People who are willing to pay a premium might look at other factors than a non-stop
In absence of govt handouts to AI one might realize the true market size

edealinfo

Wed May 22, 2019 12:17 am

The following article states that Etihad, Naresh Goyal, Hindujas, AdiGro will form a mega alliance and may bid to save Jet Airways

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 02611.html

CaliguyNYC

Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 am

edealinfo wrote:
The following article states that Etihad, Naresh Goyal, Hindujas, AdiGro will form a mega alliance and may bid to save Jet Airways

Super interesting. That said just offer rupees 1 and win. I think this isn’t going to be good for the spice side that thinks they will just get things.

binayak

Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Here's another one : KL to start a 3 weekly AMS BLR from winter schedule.
But ...these routes were loss making. Weren't they? These routes led to 9W shut down. Wonder what KL is up to..... ;)

anshabhi

Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Super interesting. That said just offer rupees 1 and win. I think this isn’t going to be good for the spice side that thinks they will just get things.

Yeah win and acquire 20,000+ crore of debt

edealinfo

Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Bid Re 1 and get 80 percent waiver on debt which SBI appears to have conceded per the planted stories in the media.

Fleet of 70 planes for Jet 2.0.

Would you take this deal?

Interesting how the politics would play out with SpiceJet and Indigo probably working in the background to undermine any takeover.

SEPARATELY, notice how Subramanium Swamy hasn’t raised a peep even though Indigo will get a hugely disproportionate share of international flying routes? he made a big stink when he thought Spicejet would get disproportionate domestic flying rights

avier

Wed May 22, 2019 2:13 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Interesting how the politics would play out with SpiceJet and Indigo probably working in the background to undermine any takeover.

Spice would use their political leverage to impede any revival prospects. Afterall, the govt. has nothing to gain or lose from Jet coming back or not. So might as well favour an ally businessman. They might even resort to influence something where Jet slots will be lost for good soon, even if they revive.

On a side note, Spicejet has announced a slew of new flights from Mumbai , with 20 new flights which include BOM to :
- Thiruvananthapuram
- Vijayawada
- Tirupati
- Goa (4th frequency)
- Hyderabad (6th)
- Kochi (3rd)
- Kolkata (5th)
- Kanpur (2nd)
- Mumbai-Patna (3rd)

SeanM1997

Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

KLM will add 3x weekly flights between Amsterdam and Bengaluru from 28 October 2019:

KL879 AMS 1105-0050+1 BLR (Mon, Wed, Fri)
KL880 BLR 0245-0820 AMS (Tue, Thur, Sat)

Flights will operate on B787-9 with 30 Business Class, 45 Premium Economy and 219 Economy seats totalling 294 seats

airboss787

Wed May 22, 2019 6:35 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
KLM will add 3x weekly flights between Amsterdam and Bengaluru from 28 October 2019:

Flights will operate on B787-9 with 30 Business Class, 45 Premium Economy and 219 Economy seats totalling 294 seats

Congratulations to Bengaluru and KLM. Some good expansion with similar timings to the Jet flight if I am not mistaken. Hope to see even more from them and others. Big thing I am looking forward to now is the extinction of Joon from BOM with probably a 777.
Star Alliance Gold

CPS001

Wed May 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Per DGCA data, IndiGo had a record 49.9% market share in April.

unnayan

Wed May 22, 2019 7:08 pm

AI domestic growth plan...I wonder where are the frames coming from? Have they finally started overhauling grounded fleet?

airboss787

Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 pm

unnayan wrote:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/flier-asks-for-water-air-india-alliance-crew-returns-with-iftar-food-wins-twitter-3993371.html/amp

AI domestic growth plan...I wonder where are the frames coming from? Have they finally started overhauling grounded fleet?

I don't see any growth plans mentioned in the article you linked. Did I miss something or was it a wrong link?
Star Alliance Gold

unnayan

Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 pm

airboss787 wrote:
unnayan wrote:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/trends/flier-asks-for-water-air-india-alliance-crew-returns-with-iftar-food-wins-twitter-3993371.html/amp

I don't see any growth plans mentioned in the article you linked. Did I miss something or was it a wrong link?

Apologies... wrong link

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/busin ... 1.html/amp

VTORD

Wed May 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Not sure if this was posted here:
AI is making a stop in ARN for DEL-ORD on the west bound leg.
http://www.airindia.in/newsdetail.htm?693

CaliguyNYC

Wed May 22, 2019 10:06 pm

binayak wrote:
Here's another one : KL to start a 3 weekly AMS BLR from winter schedule.
But ...these routes were loss making. Weren't they? These routes led to 9W shut down. Wonder what KL is up to..... ;)

DL/KL/VS/AF have all the data from the Jet partnership. Glad to seem them want to retain the india traffic. Still haven’t heard anything from an Indian airline of long haul expansion.

VTCIE

Thu May 23, 2019 4:33 am

SeanM1997 wrote:

So KLM was quick to fill the BLR-AMS void. But I don’t see BOM-MAN or MAA-CDG returning any time soon.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.

TEMPO

Thu May 23, 2019 7:49 am

Fallout from the Northern Pakistan airspace issue?
++++++++
Air Canada suspends Toronto – Delhi in June/July 2019

Air Canada in a recent schedule update filed service changes for the Toronto – Delhi route, as the airline temporary suspends this service from 15JUN19 to 31JUL19 (YYZ departure). This route is currently operated by Boeing 787-9 aircraft on a daily basis

The Star Alliance carrier will continue to operate the Vancouver – Delhi route during this period.
++++++++

From the Airline Routes website.