Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

767333ER

Re: WN looking at A220

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:26 am

kaneporta1 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
longhauler wrote:
Southwest is under fiduciary responsibility to look at all options for increasing shareholder value. If the BOD has decided to ignore a yearly savings of over $1B, they better have a good reason why!

Zeke's number comes from a hypothetical world where you instantly convert 500 737-7s (not MAXes) to A220-300s with no other costs, and uses generic fuel burn specs.

It doesn't consider acquisition cost, nor training cost for pilots, FAs, or maintenance personnel (a big consideration, moving from CFM to Pratt), nor network inefficiencies introduced by having two different fleets with two different sets of crews, nor losing a few pax in capacity per flight (especially considering MAX-7 has grown).

Yes, many airlines do mixed fleets, but WN has really optimized itself around the single fleet concept.

Zeke also compared the per aircraft costs over a 15 year period. And although the number is not as big as for a fleet of 500 aircraft, it is still very significant and not that hypothetical at all.

As for Southwest:

They still need to pay for those 737-7s, so acquisition costs will be similar. Unless of course Boeing is giving them for free...
    Their maintenance team still has to work on two types of engine right now (CFM56 and LEAP).
    The cabin crews have to work on two different cabin configurations (737-700 and 737-800/Max8)
    And finally, the network inefficiencies for not having the right aircraft will cost them a lot more than the inefficiencies of having 2 fleets. The landing fees alone would be enough to negate the 2-5 pax advantage of the 177,000lbs 737-7 vs the 149,000lbs A220-300.

You say they're optimized around a single fleet concept. Although the fleet is part of the equation, I would think they're optimized around a reliable, reasonably light 143-seat aircraft. However, Boeing doesn't offer this kind of aircraft anymore.

Even 15 years is pretty is shortsighted considering generally airlines in North America like to keep planes flying for 25-30 years before retiring them.

The advantage I see to them taking on the A220 which I totally doubt will happen is what happens if they are doing a route say with a 737-700 or even a MAX 7 and an A220 operator like DL or B6 competes with them. The A220 would be much less costly to operate against a MAX 7 and day and night against a -700 allowing those airlines to undercut if they choose probably to a point that is relatively significant to the customer, but not to a point that hurts their yield too much. This is where WN would start to suffer with 737 only especially since the MAX 7 of course is already seen as a bit inefficient and if that’s not a big deal now, it will be in 15-30 years time.

Revelation

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:02 am

kaneporta1 wrote:
They still need to pay for those 737-7s, so acquisition costs will be similar. Unless of course Boeing is giving them for free...

True, if the comparison point is MAX-7. If we're talking about NGs, these are largely paid for, and used ones can be acquired dirt cheap, as WN has been doing.

Their maintenance team still has to work on two types of engine right now (CFM56 and LEAP).

More similar than different. Going from CFM to Pratt is like going from MacOS to Windows.

The cabin crews have to work on two different cabin configurations (737-700 and 737-800/Max8)

More similar than different.

And finally, the network inefficiencies for not having the right aircraft will cost them a lot more than the inefficiencies of having 2 fleets. The landing fees alone would be enough to negate the 2-5 pax advantage of the 177,000lbs 737-7 vs the 149,000lbs A220-300.

You say they're optimized around a single fleet concept. Although the fleet is part of the equation, I would think they're optimized around a reliable, reasonably light 143-seat aircraft. However, Boeing doesn't offer this kind of aircraft anymore.

Thing is, WN has the real data rather than back of the napkin calculations. They helped define the MAX-7 and they are the launch customer. Their CEO is telling us in real time what he is thinking about the choices (unforseen, eternity, etc.), and as above, I feel confident in my position.

ewt340

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am

WN operated 513 B737-700 with 143 PAX at 31" seat pitch.
They could fit 140-145 PAX at 31" seat pitch on A220-300.

I'm pretty sure if they got a really big discount on A220-300 like Delta did, they would order significant amount of aircraft to completely replace -700.

I do see a combo of A220-300, MAX8 and some MAX10 in the future.

As long as they keep the number of A220-300 high, it would be acceptable to operate both types.

Revelation

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

ewt340 wrote:

Yet if we're now talking about buying new, MAX-7 is a two row stretch over the NG-7 so add 12 more pax for 155, or stick to 150 pax with more comfort and additional payload-range.

bob75013

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Revelation wrote:
longhauler wrote:
Southwest is under fiduciary responsibility to look at all options for increasing shareholder value. If the BOD has decided to ignore a yearly savings of over $1B, they better have a good reason why!

Zeke's number comes from a hypothetical world where you instantly convert 500 737-7s (not MAXes) to A220-300s with no other costs, and uses generic fuel burn specs.

It doesn't consider acquisition cost, nor training cost for pilots, FAs, or maintenance personnel (a big consideration, moving from CFM to Pratt), nor network inefficiencies introduced by having two different fleets with two different sets of crews, nor losing a few pax in capacity per flight (especially considering MAX-7 has grown).

Yes, many airlines do mixed fleets, but WN has really optimized itself around the single fleet concept.

I'm sure someone in WN is cranking the numbers with a lot more detail than we have here, but given the CEO says a switch to something other than 737 is unforeseen, I think we know where things are going to end up.

longhauler wrote:
In my opinion, I am not saying Southwest will buy the A220, but ... I would certainly hope they gave it thought.

Yes, that's pretty much the definition of due diligence, or as the CEO says, doing it out of a sense of duty.

barney captain wrote:
You have authors writing widely speculative articles based on a industry standard practice of "looking" - not buying - because it can somehow be tied to the MAX. These visits happen regularly, and wouldn't even be newsworthy without some ridiculous spin to the MAX.

In spite of that and the glaringly obvious point that Kelly has repeated explained it and has said "we're not buying anything but the 737 for the foreseeable future", with have a thread with "28.000 views and 200 comments" that seem to continue to ignore those facts.

It seems some are able to foresee things the CEO himself cannot foresee, and like to discuss events that might come into existence in the gap between the unforeseeable and perpetuity, which my dictionary defines as "endless or indefinitely long duration or existence; eternity".

So, here we have some people who promote the idea that WN may buy something other than 737, an idea that the CEO says lies in the gap between the unforeseeable and eternity.

I feel pretty comfortable in my position.

You are wasting your breath.because all the A220 fanboys know the WN CEO was lying when he said there would be "no new fleet types in the near future. " What else could be the explanation?

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:26 pm

bob75013 wrote:
You are wasting your breath.because all the A220 fanboys know the WN CEO was lying when he said there would be "no new fleet types in the near future. " What else could be the explanation?

You've done this twice already; quoted something that only exists in your head.

The funny thing is that you hold others to higher standards, hence this helpful English lesson from yourself
bob75013 wrote:
inverted commas are called quotation marks -- meaning they specify a quote of what someone said.

So, for the second time I'm asking when did the WN CEO utter the words you claim?

Thanks to Revelation, I am quite aware of the words he actually used, and I will concede he said something along similar lines, but as Revelation might have said, the devil is in the detail.
And of course the other clue is that each time your "quote" changes, and deviates a little further from the truth.

p.s. you can reply with a meaningless sentence ending in an expletive again if you like; I guarantee it wasn't me that pulled the last one - I would much prefer your inability to recognise facts to stay on record for everyone to see.

bob75013

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
bob75013 wrote:

The funny thing is that you hold others to higher standards, hence this helpful English lesson from yourself
bob75013 wrote:
inverted commas are called quotation marks -- meaning they specify a quote of what someone said.

So, for the second time I'm asking when did the WN CEO utter the words you claim?

Thanks to Revelation, I am quite aware of the words he actually used, and I will concede he said something along similar lines, but as Revelation might have said, the devil is in the detail.
And of course the other clue is that each time your "quote" changes, and deviates a little further from the truth.

p.s. you can reply with a meaningless sentence ending in an expletive again if you like; I guarantee it wasn't me that pulled the last one - I would much prefer your inability to recognise facts to stay on record for everyone to see.

Do you believe that Reuters was lying?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sout ... SKCN1S12E5

"CHICAGO (Reuters) - Southwest Co Chief Executive Gary Kelly said on Thursday the company was sticking with its plan to keep growing its fleet with the 737 MAX made by Boeing Co and does not plan to order different aircraft models any time soon."

NWAROOSTER

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:11 pm

In response to the statement noted in the response immediately above, which Kelly stated that Southwest will not be only a 737 operator please note the following. The 737 MAX is going to be the last variant Boeing will build . Boeing will need to manufacture a NEW build narrow body aircraft to survive. The 737 is MAXED out and it is the end of the line for any newer 737s. :old:

bob75013

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:13 pm

NWAROOSTER wrote:
In response to the statement noted in the response immediately above, which Kelly stated that Southwest will not be only a 737 operator please note the following. The 737 MAX is going to be the last variant Boeing will build . Boeing will need to manufacture a NEW build narrow body aircraft to survive. The 737 is MAXED out and it is the end of the line for any newer 737s. :old:

I seem to recall people saying the same thing about the NGs. Time will tell.

PartsGuy20

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32 pm

keesje wrote:
And Delta, Moxy and Jetblue will challenge them with A223 efficiency.

Moxy would be a great source of early A220 slots for WN... and it wouldn't be the first time they've purchased an airline that Neeleman was involved in. :stirthepot: :scratchchin:

Gulfstream500

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm

bob75013 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
bob75013 wrote:

bob75013 wrote:

"CHICAGO (Reuters) - Southwest Co Chief Executive Gary Kelly said on Thursday the company was sticking with its plan to keep growing its fleet with the 737 MAX made by Boeing Co and does not plan to order different aircraft models any time soon."

Southwest’s existence was, at one point, not planned.

All of the things that Kelly has said are meant to mask their future so that other airlines do not copy their plans. If they are planning for years in the future, why give the other airlines a head start?

Time will tell what will happen. But straight up denying it will not convince anyone.

bob75013

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Southwest’s existence was, at one point, not planned.

All of the things that Kelly has said are meant to mask their future so that other airlines do not copy their plans. If they are planning for years in the future, why give the other airlines a head start?

Time will tell what will happen. But straight up denying it will not convince anyone.

You heard it here first: Kelly is lying to his stockholders and to the press.

CS500

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:08 pm

bob75013 wrote:
NWAROOSTER wrote:

I would be amazed if grandfathering rules are changed considerably after the MAX introduction issues (and hell, even Airbus with the GTF issues), with a time limit or number of iteration limit seeming inevitable, either of which would likely make a SUPER MAX 737 impossible.

bob75013

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm

CS500 wrote:
bob75013 wrote:
NWAROOSTER wrote:

I would be amazed if grandfathering rules are changed considerably after the MAX introduction issues (and hell, even Airbus with the GTF issues), with a time limit or number of iteration limit seeming inevitable, either of which would likely make a SUPER MAX 737 impossible.

Well, a discussion about new 737 variants really doesn't belong in this thread.

Bricktop

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 pm

bob75013 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
longhauler wrote:

I'm sure someone in WN is cranking the numbers with a lot more detail than we have here, but given the CEO says a switch to something other than 737 is unforeseen, I think we know where things are going to end up.

longhauler wrote:
In my opinion, I am not saying Southwest will buy the A220, but ... I would certainly hope they gave it thought.

Yes, that's pretty much the definition of due diligence, or as the CEO says, doing it out of a sense of duty.

barney captain wrote:
You have authors writing widely speculative articles based on a industry standard practice of "looking" - not buying - because it can somehow be tied to the MAX. These visits happen regularly, and wouldn't even be newsworthy without some ridiculous spin to the MAX.

In spite of that and the glaringly obvious point that Kelly has repeated explained it and has said "we're not buying anything but the 737 for the foreseeable future", with have a thread with "28.000 views and 200 comments" that seem to continue to ignore those facts.

It seems some are able to foresee things the CEO himself cannot foresee, and like to discuss events that might come into existence in the gap between the unforeseeable and perpetuity, which my dictionary defines as "endless or indefinitely long duration or existence; eternity".

So, here we have some people who promote the idea that WN may buy something other than 737, an idea that the CEO says lies in the gap between the unforeseeable and eternity.

I feel pretty comfortable in my position.

Remember the good old days when Airbus fanboys thought the BCS1 and BCS3 were garbage? Slap on an Airbus sticker and renumber them, and voila! Redemption!

Meanwhile, they can't make them at even mid-single digit rates, let alone the mid-double digits 50/60+ numbers of the A320 and maybe one day the MAX.will be back at those levels.
By the time the A22X is produced at even half-way-decent levels, Airbus and Boeing will be on to their next-gen planes, which will be designed to be efficiently mass produced.
It's a nice short term niche airplane. End of story.

cledaybuck

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm

seanpmassey wrote:

But there are two things that could eventually make SWA order something besides 737s. First, SWA's size puts their business, and their investors, at risk of an airworthyness directive putting them out of business. At their size, a single fleet type is a huge risk. Yes, they're are profitable and optimized around that fleet type. But how long would they remain profitable if there was another 737 grounding that impacted NGs? Or what would happen in a few years if there were more MAXes in their fleet?
The idea that somehow 100 A220's would save them if their 700 NG's (or whatever the numbers are) were grounded makes no sense. WN would be just about equally screwed with or without A220 if the entire 737 fleet was grounded.

ewt340

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

Yet if we're now talking about buying new, MAX-7 is a two row stretch over the NG-7 so add 12 more pax for 155, or stick to 150 pax with more comfort and additional payload-range.

They decided to fitted MAX7 with 150 seats. Currently they only have 30 aircraft in order. Could easily converted to MAX8 instead.
It would be highly unlikely that they would fitted MAX7 with 155 seats since it would required them to operate the plane with 4 FA instead of 3 FA.

Beside, with Delta and JetBlue and upcoming Moxy air operating A220-300. It would be tough competition for WN if they didn't have aircraft with that efficiency.

Interestingly enough, regional airlines like Republic Airways also order significant amount of A220-300.

Revelation

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 pm

ewt340 wrote:
They decided to fitted MAX7 with 150 seats. Currently they only have 30 aircraft in order. Could easily converted to MAX8 instead.

Could easily do what the CEO says and take 100 MAX 8 then go back to taking MAX 7.

Some times a cigar is just a cigar.

rrbsztk

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:40 pm

ewt340 wrote:

Interestingly enough, regional airlines like Republic Airways also order significant amount of A220-300.

IIRC the Republic Airways A220 order was for Frontier. However when they sold Frontier they kept the A220 order.

Gulfstream500

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:43 am

rrbsztk wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

IIRC the Republic Airways A220 order was for Frontier. However when they sold Frontier they kept the A220 order.

I have not heard anything of that order in foverver. Any information on an entry into service date???

Additionally, if they have kept the order, are they going to operate under their own brand???

rrbsztk

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:07 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
rrbsztk wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

I have not heard anything of that order in foverver. Any information on an entry into service date???

Additionally, if they have kept the order, are they going to operate under their own brand???

I looked a year or so ago and couldn't find anything about plans. I want to say there was solid speculation that Republic kept them hoping to sell them when and if delivery slots become asset they can sell.

INFINITI329

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 am

With Southwest's pitch could 150 seats be fitted in an A223?

RobertPhoenix

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:53 am

This probably needs another thread, but WN have evolved their business plan over time and I'm sure it wasn't all in the initial plan. Herb was a unique risk taker and very competitive in the best way. People like that are always ready to learn and adapt. Nobody could be a one for one replacement for him, not James Parker, Gary Kelly or Colleen Barrett.

The culture of WN seems to have survived very well during these changes, at least as far as the passengers are concerned, but I suspect the business plan has stopped evolving, so buying the A220 is probably a step too far. Maybe they can buy Moxy when and if it becomes reality and succeeds with its strategy. Buying an airline from David Neeleman is part of their history, so that shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

KMCOFlyer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:36 am

737max8 wrote:
So....where is the A220 mockup in WN colors?

Not my work, but here you go.

airzona11

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:45 am

The 73G was the blacksheep when it was ramping up production, nearly every major airline was going for the larger 738 or A320. Yes WN has operated 500+ of them as the most consistently profitable airline, that also happens to be one of the largest. 73Gs are still the backbone of the fleet. As their network matures, more 73Gs can go to 738/Max8. Bigger is happening before smaller at WN.

AirwayBill

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
737max8 wrote:

This looks amazing. And the wait won't be too long! :stirthepot:

Bricktop

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:45 am

AirwayBill wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
737max8 wrote:

This looks amazing. And the wait won't be too long! :stirthepot:

A for execution, F for aesthetics. In fairness to the BCSX A22X which looks great in LX or BT liveries, I cant call myself a fan of WNs. :shrug:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos