x1234
Topic Author

How is NH's NRT-MEX flight doing 2 years in!?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm

ANA started NRT-MEX daily on 2/15/17. Its now 2 years later. Hows the route doing!? It must be profitable as its daily with also a daily flight on AM (Aeromexico) as its competition. As the only flight between East Asia & Mexico (The Hainan, China Southern & AeroMexico flights to Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai & Seoul stop in Tijuana, Vancouver, Tijuana or Monterrey west-bound due to MEX's high elevation) the flight must be a success! :)

KLAM

Re: How is NH's NRT-MEX flight doing 2 years in!?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi! I do not know hard facts, but I have flown both AM and NH to NRT and back and while NH is far superior in terms of service, AM flights were fuller than NHs. NH planes are premium heavy, so there are only a few Y class seats; J seemed to be quite empty and Y had a lot of free seats. On AM there were also quite a few empty Y seats, but J was completely full. Also, NH passengers seemed to be primarily Japanese, while on AM, it was like 70% Mexican, 30% Japanese. I would take NH any time over AM for multiple reasons, and if the price is right, I suppose a lot of Mexicans would as well. The thing is, I have not seen much marketing done around the NH flight in MEX, while among the Mexican population that travels, almost everyone is aware of AM flying to Asia. I do find that Mexicans have a little bias towards choosing AM when possible.
flyOM

KIXMEX

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 am

I hope is a success, numbers of travelers between NRT and MEX have been only gone up in the last three years. I would assume that most of the Japanese companies in Mexico would prefer / have corporate agreements with ANA and that cargo would be a factor as well.

eamondzhang

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:27 am

KIXMEX wrote:
I hope is a success, numbers of travelers between NRT and MEX have been only gone up in the last three years. I would assume that most of the Japanese companies in Mexico would prefer / have corporate agreements with ANA and that cargo would be a factor as well.

You can't carry much cargo on MEX-NRT sector, in fact in many circumstances one's lucky to carry all pax plus baggage given the performance limitation out of MEX (NH does actively block seats out of MEX and I would assume AM is somewhere similar).

Michael

ITSTours

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:35 am

Japan does not release any load factor statistics for specific routes and airlines as far as I know. I tried hard to find it but unsuccessful. Love US BTS...

KIXMEX

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:49 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
KIXMEX wrote:

You can't carry much cargo on MEX-NRT sector, in fact in many circumstances one's lucky to carry all pax plus baggage given the performance limitation out of MEX (NH does actively block seats out of MEX and I would assume AM is somewhere similar).

Michael

That is a great point. I was thinking that even though manufacturing plants from Honda, Nissan and Mazda assemble and in many case produce components on site is not uncommon for high precision mechanical components like gearboxes or engine parts to be exported from Japan so perhaps is on the NRT to MEX leg that cargo could contribute. Anyway as per wikipedia there was a nice bump in traffic between the city pairs from 2017 (around 200k) to 2018 (around 219k) I would assume that ANA’s presence is one of the factors here. I hope somebody can find some firsthand data to let us know how things are going. Mexico and Japan have a story of being connected in an uninterrupted fashion since the 60s I believe, first with JAL, then Aeromexico and now both AM and ANA. I am a big fan of both Airlines and I would love for this market to just become more robust over time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos