bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 8662
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:02 pm

https://flybe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1592

For me, the key points are as follows;

1. Winter season starts 26 October clearly the ERJ195 starts to leave at that point.

2. They say no changes in schedules at EXE and NWI, but wiki says that ALC ends 26 October. It also shows flights from NWI to ALC ending 25 October and AGP the previous day.

It is also unclear how flight times will be unchanged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_Ai ... stinations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_A ... stinations

3. They say that flights to CWL and DSA will be operated from the other end. However, nothing about the flights from CWL and DSA to airports which are NOT BE bases. Wiki shows CWL to MXP ending 28 September.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_A ... stinations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster ... stinations

All in all, not quite what it seems at first glance.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Does this indicate that the Q400 will continue under the new Connect/Virgin Atlantic regime ?
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Flybe states nothing will change from the announced schedule which operates in Summer 2019. All the changes will occur from October 2019, including the removal of the E195

All E195 routes will either be downsized to Q400 or be axed - with more of a focus on UK domestic travel.

Manchester will operate E175 as may Birmingham. All other bases seem to be Q400 only.

Cardiff and Doncaster will be away based flying only meaning destinations such as Belfast and Edinburgh will probably stay, whilst Milan and Rennes etc. will go
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2330
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:50 pm

When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Seemingly repaints coming in October.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Flybe update

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:26 pm

When will we see exeter gatway?
 
Cunard
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:03 am

chunhimlai wrote:
When will we see exeter gatway?


Are you really being serious???

From your past history discussing Exeter Airport on these forums I got a feeling that you are being serious, but as usual you are way off the mark yet again!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
caaardiff
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:14 am

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:03 am

The winter schedule is due to be released next week. CWL and DSA will lose a lot of routes as a result of the closure, but it's hoped for CWL that the core routes can be saved with some needing to be operated by a W pattern. EDI and BHD are likely to stay. DUB is between 2-3 daily at the moment and CDG 1-2 daily and both prove popular routes. How they can be incorporated into a schedule with decent timings remains to be seen.

CWL will lose flights to MXP, FCO, VRN, VCE, CMF, LYS, GVA, MUC and FAO (Still offered by FR), ORK*, JER*, CDG*, DUB*
DSA will lose PMI, ALC, AGP, FAO, JER*, CDG*, AMS*, DUB*
(*All within Q400 range but not BE bases)

These are the passenger figures from the CAA 2018 stats. It's interesting to see that CWL carries by far more passengers on these routes than at DSA and the home base EXT but is having the base closed and potential loss of popular routes rather than the base being switched to a Q400 base.
BHD - CWL 70784 DSA 16766 (EXT - 36722)
EDI - CWL 102102 (EXT 48076)
JER - CWL 20095 DSA 33032
DUB - CWL 108275 DSA 33659 (EXT 35587)
CDG - CWL 77676 DSA 36181 (EXT 50016)

I have a feeling there might be more route cuts from the Winter schedule at other bases. With 17 jets in the fleet, the routes that are staying and suitable for Q400 will need to be covered. I can see Virgin/Connect doing as many of the negative changes as soon as possible which will hurt Flybes reputation more and will likely create more negative media spin and then swoop in with a big brand refresh to Virgin with a strong marketing campaign as the saviour of Flybe and a brighter future.
 
A220
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am

I wonder what will happen with the base in DUS... The big Europe expansion has been blown off and it will probably be shutdown?!
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 am

caaardiff wrote:
The winter schedule is due to be released next week. CWL and DSA will lose a lot of routes as a result of the closure, but it's hoped for CWL that the core routes can be saved with some needing to be operated by a W pattern. EDI and BHD are likely to stay. DUB is between 2-3 daily at the moment and CDG 1-2 daily and both prove popular routes. How they can be incorporated into a schedule with decent timings remains to be seen.

CWL will lose flights to MXP, FCO, VRN, VCE, CMF, LYS, GVA, MUC and FAO (Still offered by FR), ORK*, JER*, CDG*, DUB*
DSA will lose PMI, ALC, AGP, FAO, JER*, CDG*, AMS*, DUB*
(*All within Q400 range but not BE bases)

These are the passenger figures from the CAA 2018 stats. It's interesting to see that CWL carries by far more passengers on these routes than at DSA and the home base EXT but is having the base closed and potential loss of popular routes rather than the base being switched to a Q400 base.
BHD - CWL 70784 DSA 16766 (EXT - 36722)
EDI - CWL 102102 (EXT 48076)
JER - CWL 20095 DSA 33032
DUB - CWL 108275 DSA 33659 (EXT 35587)
CDG - CWL 77676 DSA 36181 (EXT 50016)

I have a feeling there might be more route cuts from the Winter schedule at other bases. With 17 jets in the fleet, the routes that are staying and suitable for Q400 will need to be covered. I can see Virgin/Connect doing as many of the negative changes as soon as possible which will hurt Flybes reputation more and will likely create more negative media spin and then swoop in with a big brand refresh to Virgin with a strong marketing campaign as the saviour of Flybe and a brighter future.


Do you think Virgin/Flybe partners could look at operating routes which are seen to be successful? For instance, could Air France and KLM use their Bombardier CRJ (Air France) or Embraer 175 (KLM) to launch Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam to these sort of places, freeing Flybe aircraft. Also, could you see Blue Islands keeping Jersey and as Stobart (part of Connect Airways consortium) operates Aer Lingus Regional - could they maintain Dublin/Cork links?
 
leghorn
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 am

If they don't ease up on the 50 quid oversized luggage charges for luggage which isn't oversized they'll have no customers left by the time these changes come.
 
caaardiff
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:14 am

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:27 am

KLM already operate 3x daily CWL-AMS and I think DSA was tried by KL but didn't last long.
CDG with AF is certainly a possibility as they are also AF codeshares so they would have an idea of how the routes perform from their own sales, alongside BE's point to point sales. For CWL, it's possible if GLA is kept they could operate GLA-CWL-CDG-CWL-GLA, however hopefully as separate flights rather than a split load transfer flight like they did before (which was an operational disaster)
Blue Islands are unlikely to support CWL-JER due to their operation at BRS.
EI pulled off CWL-DUB before BE came in on it, as they were planning on reducing it from I think 3x daily to 2x daily, possible 1x daily. FR could start DUB as the relationship between CWL and FR seems to be doing well, but it's likely that will only be 1x daily with no US connections that EI could provide.
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:30 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Do you think Virgin/Flybe partners could look at operating routes which are seen to be successful? For instance, could Air France and KLM use their Bombardier CRJ (Air France) or Embraer 175 (KLM) to launch Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam to these sort of places, freeing Flybe aircraft. Also, could you see Blue Islands keeping Jersey and as Stobart (part of Connect Airways consortium) operates Aer Lingus Regional - could they maintain Dublin/Cork links?

KLM (cityhopper) or Air France (hop!) could launch routes as FlyBE drops Paris/Amsterdam, as unlike FlyBE, KL and AF codes help feed the CDG and AMS hubs, and have strong point of sales both at UK and the continent.

As much as Stobart Air is part of Connect airways, I doubt they have spare frames (ATRs) at DUB to help from the Irish side of the routes.
 
UKflyboy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:41 pm

I looked at DSA-JER-DSA for early October this year and they’ve reduced the service. The return date (7th October) only gave options which I think were via SOU & BHD giving a journey time of 7+ hours. People won’t bother with that!

Also I’ve said it before but the Q400’s are not reliable and alot of people don’t like them.
 
User avatar
FabDiva
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 pm

Exeter is going to be an interesting one now RYR are in town, they've already picked up the dropped Alicante route, so I can see Flybe leaving the longer international routes to RYR and concentrating on Domestic and Feeds for VIR/DAL/AFR/KLM
 
rlwynn
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2000 3:35 am

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:08 pm

DUS is Q400. Seems safe it will stay.
I can drive faster than you
 
marcogr12
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Theoretically FR could take over some of the routes and fly to BGY,CIA,VRN,TSF 2w..But the jump from 122 to 189pax is big,so i dont know how sustainable these routes would be with such an a/c
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
marcogr12
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Flybe update

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Theoretically FR could take over some of the routes and fly to BGY,CIA,VRN,TSF 2w..But the jump from 122 to 189pax is big,so i dont know how sustainable these routes would be with such an a/c..Otherwise CWL pax will have to make do with flights from BRS
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??


Even more important than that: FlyBE is dropping Avios (the platform and obviously the currency issued by AGL) as FF Scheme next Wednesday. And nothing has been announced so far.

https://www.flybe.com/avios

It's not the end of the world, but it would be weird to fly an airline the size of BE (and franchises) and not get any kind of points/status.
Even more bizarre that they have not announced a VS FlyingClub partnership. If they are to become a Virgin Atlantic (operated by Connect/FlyBE) kind of regional franchise operation, that's the FF scheme they are going to adopt anyway sooner than later...
 
sk736
Posts: 696
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:47 am

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 pm

leghorn wrote:
If they don't ease up on the 50 quid oversized luggage charges for luggage which isn't oversized they'll have no customers left by the time these changes come.

Avoiding the £50 charge is really easy....you just read the terms and conditions that you accept when buying the ticket, then make sure your bag isn't bigger than the published cabin bag allowance. Now what could be easier than that?
 
GalebG4
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:51 pm

No Virgin colors yet?
 
leghorn
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:24 pm

sk736 wrote:
leghorn wrote:
If they don't ease up on the 50 quid oversized luggage charges for luggage which isn't oversized they'll have no customers left by the time these changes come.

Avoiding the £50 charge is really easy....you just read the terms and conditions that you accept when buying the ticket, then make sure your bag isn't bigger than the published cabin bag allowance. Now what could be easier than that?

I've seen some twitter posts where people have put measuring tapes up to their baggage and they comply with the baggage regulations but don't fit in the sizing crates. There are two different sizing crates in circulation around the network. One is bigger than the other.
 
leghorn
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:32 pm

sk736 wrote:
leghorn wrote:
If they don't ease up on the 50 quid oversized luggage charges for luggage which isn't oversized they'll have no customers left by the time these changes come.

Avoiding the £50 charge is really easy....you just read the terms and conditions that you accept when buying the ticket, then make sure your bag isn't bigger than the published cabin bag allowance. Now what could be easier than that?

I've seen some twitter posts where people have put measuring tapes up to their baggage and they comply with the baggage regulations but don't fit in the sizing crates. There are two different sizing crates in circulation around the network. One is bigger than the other.
keyword search in twitter "flybe measuring tape" or "flybe £50" or "flybe luggage"
example: https://twitter.com/Nicsy1992/status/11 ... 1687309312
 
robcornwall
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??



I believe the new 'new' colour scheme has been shelved. Seems foolish to have yet another expensive rebranding when the darker purple 'F1' colours have become so widespread and familiar. Some of the Q400's have yet to be painted in that. As G-JECP was the aircraft that had the Amsterdam gear failure it would have needed a repaint anyway. I'm not a fan of the light purple. Personally, I think some period of stability is required for the dust to settle. No drastic base or route changes, other than the downsizing. Concentrate on core stuff, look after the employees and give everyone a breather......and trim the fat.
 
Cunard
Posts: 2316
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm

robcornwall wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??



I believe the new 'new' colour scheme has been shelved. Seems foolish to have yet another expensive rebranding when the darker purple 'F1' colours have become so widespread and familiar. Some of the Q400's have yet to be painted in that. As G-JECP was the aircraft that had the Amsterdam gear failure it would have needed a repaint anyway. I'm not a fan of the light purple. Personally, I think some period of stability is required for the dust to settle. No drastic base or route changes, other than the downsizing. Concentrate on core stuff, look after the employees and give everyone a breather......and trim the fat.


Do you honestly think that Flybe in it's current form and the current livery will be around in a years time?

By this time next year I'm sure that the airline will have totally rebranded under the Virgin umbrella, new name, probably Virgin Connect, new livery probably Virgin, cutbacks to the current route network, many possibilities but I don't think that Flybe as we know it has a long term future.

It will be all red tails within a few years I can assure you :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Flybe update

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 pm

Cunard wrote:
robcornwall wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??



I believe the new 'new' colour scheme has been shelved. Seems foolish to have yet another expensive rebranding when the darker purple 'F1' colours have become so widespread and familiar. Some of the Q400's have yet to be painted in that. As G-JECP was the aircraft that had the Amsterdam gear failure it would have needed a repaint anyway. I'm not a fan of the light purple. Personally, I think some period of stability is required for the dust to settle. No drastic base or route changes, other than the downsizing. Concentrate on core stuff, look after the employees and give everyone a breather......and trim the fat.


Do you honestly think that Flybe in it's current form and the current livery will be around in a years time?

By this time next year I'm sure that the airline will have totally rebranded under the Virgin umbrella, new name, probably Virgin Connect, new livery probably Virgin, cutbacks to the current route network, many possibilities but I don't think that Flybe as we know it has a long term future.

It will be all red tails within a few years I can assure you :-)


I think what he meant was that the so far one off 'new' livery as seen on G-JECP (mainly white with purple tail) won't be getting put on any more aircraft as opposed to the purple livery marching on under the new regime. Connect have already confirmed the Virgin brand will be applied and it will begin later this year apparently.
 
robcornwall
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:02 am

Cunard - maybe, maybe not.
JannEejit - thank you.
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 635
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:39 am

leghorn wrote:
sk736 wrote:
leghorn wrote:
If they don't ease up on the 50 quid oversized luggage charges for luggage which isn't oversized they'll have no customers left by the time these changes come.

Avoiding the £50 charge is really easy....you just read the terms and conditions that you accept when buying the ticket, then make sure your bag isn't bigger than the published cabin bag allowance. Now what could be easier than that?

I've seen some twitter posts where people have put measuring tapes up to their baggage and they comply with the baggage regulations but don't fit in the sizing crates. There are two different sizing crates in circulation around the network. One is bigger than the other.
keyword search in twitter "flybe measuring tape" or "flybe £50" or "flybe luggage"
example: https://twitter.com/Nicsy1992/status/11 ... 1687309312


Following the many complaints, trading standards did a thorough investigation on the baggage sizers and all of them, including the smaller metal sizers were at the correct advertised dimensions. The metal sizers were about 5mm bigger than advertised and the cardboard sizers a bit more.

The problem with using 2 types of sizer is that some airports do not permit metal sizers at the gate. Pretty poor move for Flybe to continue to use 2 sizes though, when they could have simply gone 'all cardboard' at all gates. The airline is mismanaged and overmanaged
 
leghorn
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 am

Do you not agree that perception is more harmful to reputation and Brand than anything else.
They are developing a reputation for being a sharp-practice vulture mini Ryanair with legacy prices but no punctuality and run unreliable toy-sized planes. Truth or not that is how they are being perceived these days.
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 am

Cunard wrote:
robcornwall wrote:
UAL777UK wrote:
When are we going to see any Flybe aircraft in the new livery??



I believe the new 'new' colour scheme has been shelved. Seems foolish to have yet another expensive rebranding when the darker purple 'F1' colours have become so widespread and familiar. Some of the Q400's have yet to be painted in that. As G-JECP was the aircraft that had the Amsterdam gear failure it would have needed a repaint anyway. I'm not a fan of the light purple. Personally, I think some period of stability is required for the dust to settle. No drastic base or route changes, other than the downsizing. Concentrate on core stuff, look after the employees and give everyone a breather......and trim the fat.


Do you honestly think that Flybe in it's current form and the current livery will be around in a years time?

By this time next year I'm sure that the airline will have totally rebranded under the Virgin umbrella, new name, probably Virgin Connect, new livery probably Virgin, cutbacks to the current route network, many possibilities but I don't think that Flybe as we know it has a long term future.

It will be all red tails within a few years I can assure you :-)


Well, The Q400s will probably be still under the FlyBE AOC. The E-jets will probably find a better home at Stobart Air (with several other Stobart's E-jets) and wetleasing the capacity to FlyBE (and others) under ACMI contracts were needed.

About the purple.... Isn't purple, along with red, the main colours of the Virgin branding?. I guess they could keep the purple and add some "Virgin connect" red stickers and get away with it until a new paint job is due
Last edited by Aisak on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
ChrisEtihad272
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:38 am

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 am

I hope it improves flybe's operations. i have had so many flights been cancelled with them, hopefully virgin can sort it out!
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:51 am

leghorn wrote:
Do you not agree that perception is more harmful to reputation and Brand than anything else.
They are developing a reputation for being a sharp-practice vulture mini Ryanair with legacy prices but no punctuality and run unreliable toy-sized planes. Truth or not that is how they are being perceived these days.


That's coming from long ago. I remember them banning you board your own food of drinks claiming it was risky. It was more of a hazard than boarding with a knife... That was Jim French's era

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347599
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459229
 
LHRFlyer
Posts: 1014
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: Flybe update

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am

Flybe has to remain operationally independent of the Connect Airways consortium until regulatory approval for the takeover is granted:

In February 2019 Connect Airways acquired Flybe Limited (Flybe’s main trading company, including Flybe Aviation Services Limited) and Flybe.com Limited for consideration of £2.8m. As a part of the deal, the shareholders of Connect Airways (“the Consortium”) have committed to providing funding to Flybe Limited of up to £135m, of which the Virgin Atlantic Group has committed up to £41m. The committed funding from the Consortium to Flybe is secured on certain fleet assets of Flybe Limited. The deal is subject to regulatory approval, and therefore the Consortium will only obtain joint control of Flybe Limited after such approval has been granted; this is the point at which the Group will be able to be able to exercise joint control of the entity’s financial and operating policies and begin to consolidate its relevant share of earnings of Flybe Limited under the equity method.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos