carlokiii

Re: Updated: Garuda to keep 737MAX order, add 787s in agreement with Boeing

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:14 pm

ewt340 wrote:
Damn, they got a really big discount! They might cancel their A330neo if Boeing keep giving such low prices.

I can’t really dispute that, but the 787 can do a great job replacing their 77W AND A330, considering Garuda’s usage of both. So while there may be some ~big discounts~, the 787 isn’t a forced buy - Garuda ultimately benefits.

JerseyFlyer

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:19 pm

I suggest we believe this when it happens. It is only 4 years since they "ordered" 30 x 787 and 30 x A350!

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/ ... 30s-229960

Lilienthal

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:39 pm

VV wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
I wish there was a numbers breakdown in this, but I have a feeling that Garuda got a sweeeeeeeet deal to stay

Why?

- Brand new MAXs fall out of the sky

- Garuda threatens to cancel their MAX order

- The MAX fix is taking time, grounding expected to last until late August at least

- Garuda agrees with Boeing to not only keep their MAX order, but to add 787s

What other possible explanation would you have, other than Boeing giving Garuda a nice juicy present to keep them on board?

MalevTU134

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Lilienthal wrote:
VV wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
I wish there was a numbers breakdown in this, but I have a feeling that Garuda got a sweeeeeeeet deal to stay

Why?

- Brand new MAXs fall out of the sky

- Garuda threatens to cancel their MAX order

- The MAX fix is taking time, grounding expected to last until late August at least

- Garuda agrees with Boeing to not only keep their MAX order, but to add 787s

What other possible explanation would you have, other than Boeing giving Garuda a nice juicy present to keep them on board?

Maybe, something like....giving some executives at Garuda some juicy present?...

aerokiwi

Re: Garuda may cancel remaining orders of 737 MAX

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Antarius wrote:
Interested wrote:
If every airline cancelled their orders it would save a hell of a lot of time and head scratching trying to make these planes safe

Why worry about a plane nobody wants to buy anyway?

This aged well.

Bahahahaha! Best post I've seen in a while.

I feel like we need to call these out more often. Might temper some of the bolder, yet unfounded, assertions on here.

aerokiwi

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm

c933103 wrote:
They cancelled Max 8 because of those crash but ordered the Max 10 instead.... Was there no such system on Max 10?

No, I think. From what I've read, MCAS won't be used on the MAX10 because it has a different aerodynamic profile, rendering the software unnecessary. Unless I've read that wrong. A lot of stuff being said on this site of late that's hard to quantify.

DaCubbyBearBar

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:07 pm

aerokiwi wrote:
c933103 wrote:
They cancelled Max 8 because of those crash but ordered the Max 10 instead.... Was there no such system on Max 10?

No, I think. From what I've read, MCAS won't be used on the MAX10 because it has a different aerodynamic profile, rendering the software unnecessary. Unless I've read that wrong. A lot of stuff being said on this site of late that's hard to quantify.

I believe that I heard/read somewhere because the main gear on the MAX 10 has the 8/10/12 inch extension, not sure how many, that the engines will not have the same angle as the MAX8 and MAX9, and thus no MCAS on the MAX10
Go Cubs Go Hey Chicago whaddya say the Cubs are gonna win today

Weatherwatcher1

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Polot wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The crash was really just an excuse, Garuda didn’t really want/need the Max 8 anymore. Pre crash they had already significantly deferred their Max’s by ~3+ years (that is why they were only operating 1).

Deferring 49 of the 50 737-8s a year ago after receiving 1 means they had already changed their fleet plan. Deals like this don’t happen in 4 weeks. I doubt the crash is the reason why Garuda changed their fleet plan a year ago

ewt340

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:16 am

carlokiii wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
Damn, they got a really big discount! They might cancel their A330neo if Boeing keep giving such low prices.

I can’t really dispute that, but the 787 can do a great job replacing their 77W AND A330, considering Garuda’s usage of both. So while there may be some ~big discounts~, the 787 isn’t a forced buy - Garuda ultimately benefits.

That somewhat untrue because Boeing would hold some of the payment for MAX8 order as ransom. You know, cause it would be stupid to just refund it fully, and I don't think Garuda would just waste those money.

jupiter2

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am

ewt340 wrote:
carlokiii wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

That somewhat untrue because Boeing would hold some of the payment for MAX8 order as ransom. You know, cause it would be stupid to just refund it fully, and I don't think Garuda would just waste those money.

A "ransom' ?

You mean deposits on legally binding contracts that just can't be cancelled on a whim, especially after already deferring the order. Not withstanding the announcement of Garuda cancelling the MAX 8 or the reason why, Garuda would've lost money. Boeing probably would've given them some kind of break on it in goodwill, would've been stupid not too, but it would've been a lose/lose situation for Garuda, lose the deposit money and then pay a higher price at Airbus knowing that Garuda wasn't going to re-order the MAX. At least this way both parties can walk away with decent deals.

ewt340

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm

jupiter2 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
carlokiii wrote:

A "ransom' ?

You mean deposits on legally binding contracts that just can't be cancelled on a whim, especially after already deferring the order. Not withstanding the announcement of Garuda cancelling the MAX 8 or the reason why, Garuda would've lost money. Boeing probably would've given them some kind of break on it in goodwill, would've been stupid not too, but it would've been a lose/lose situation for Garuda, lose the deposit money and then pay a higher price at Airbus knowing that Garuda wasn't going to re-order the MAX. At least this way both parties can walk away with decent deals.

We called that ransom in real life :lol:

9Patch

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Maybe, something like....giving some executives at Garuda some juicy present?...

Didn't Airbus get in trouble for doing just that wit some of their 'customers'?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos