PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Inaugural BFL-DFW March 4th!

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:27 am

After an absence of more than twenty years, American Airlines (well, Eagle, technically) has returned:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASH5831/history

It has always broken my heart that BFL cannot sustain service. FAT and SMF are flying high, as are the airports from SBA to SBP. Business seems to be booming everywhere except here.

Anyone know what caused the circling and diversion to PHX on the 12th? That was a significant amount of circling!

B1168

Re: Inaugural BFL-DFW March 4th!

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:36 am

Sounds nice to me. I guess that will suffice all need for Latin American traffic.

Chasensfo

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:03 am

That route stayed mainline on American with MD-80s for quite a while. Glad to see some expansion at BFL, it is a very cool little airport if you ever get the chance to explore it. If I remember correctly, for a while the last mainline flights to BFL were Mexicana Airbuses! I wonder what other US airport could say that.

wedgetail737

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 am

Maybe this new service with entice AS to start E-175 service to BFL from SEA.

910A

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:14 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Anyone know what caused the circling and diversion to PHX on the 12th? That was a significant amount of circling!

Maybe a microburst, the skies were clear where I live east of the airport and suddenly the skies open up..or it might have been this https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 145522002/

alasizon

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 am

910A wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Maybe a microburst, the skies were clear where I live east of the airport and suddenly the skies open up..or it might have been this https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 145522002/

Diversion was MX related, the suspicious package happened later in the day.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:43 am

Chasensfo wrote:
That route stayed mainline on American with MD-80s for quite a while. Glad to see some expansion at BFL, it is a very cool little airport if you ever get the chance to explore it. If I remember correctly, for a while the last mainline flights to BFL were Mexicana Airbuses! I wonder what other US airport could say that.

AA was very reliable in its service, dating from August of 1984. Two flights per day, SBA-BFL-DFW, DFW-BFL-SBA-DFW, and DFW-BFL-SBA. Occasionally, ORD service was tried, once even via SNA on a 757 (parking rates and gate space were a lot more affordable at BFL!), but it never lasted. Then the two flights became one, then seasonal service, then gone. American wasn't even seen again until the USAirways merger.

I got to fly into BFL from SAN several times on ExpressJet, when they had their branded operations. 42 minutes, wheels up to wheels down. My personal record for driving is 3 hours flat...

I would initially guess that Mexicana was the last mainline airline in BFL, but didn't F9 do a 3x weekly DEN service a few years ago? I seem to recall seeing this around 2011, but I can't say for sure.

wedgetail737 wrote:

I think there's an EAS grant involved, so unless AS can get that same subsidy, I doubt it. There just aren't the businesses driving demand from BFL.

mtnwest1979

Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:48 am

Probably SCASD grant, EAS is a different animal. Good to see anything new at BFL.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Tan Flyr

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:40 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

AA was very reliable in its service, dating from August of 1984. Two flights per day, SBA-BFL-DFW, DFW-BFL-SBA-DFW, and DFW-BFL-SBA. Occasionally, ORD service was tried, once even via SNA on a 757 (parking rates and gate space were a lot more affordable at BFL!), but it never lasted. Then the two flights became one, then seasonal service, then gone. American wasn't even seen again until the USAirways merger.

I got to fly into BFL from SAN several times on ExpressJet, when they had their branded operations. 42 minutes, wheels up to wheels down. My personal record for driving is 3 hours flat...

I would initially guess that Mexicana was the last mainline airline in BFL, but didn't F9 do a 3x weekly DEN service a few years ago? I seem to recall seeing this around 2011, but I can't say for sure.

wedgetail737 wrote:

I think there's an EAS grant involved, so unless AS can get that same subsidy, I doubt it. There just aren't the businesses driving demand from BFL.

As PSA notes, overall for about 12-15 years ( or so ) there was some AA mainline. Before FAT came on in June of 90 we used BFL frequently for personal and business trips. MY folks came out a few time from the Midwest on that ORD-SNA-BFL route for a while. I seem to recall the BFL service from DFW continued in the late fall of 90/winter of 91 during the pilot shortage caused by the first Gulf War, while FAT took a suspension of about 4-5 months.

FATFlyer

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Both BFL and SCK are adding service this year using SCASD grant funds. It should be interesting to see if the flights to continue after the grants run out.

Currently the BFL-DFW fares are pricing only a little higher than BUR-DFW. But BFL is pricing much lower than FAT-DFW flights. (I didn't check onward connections fares)
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Chasensfo

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:45 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

wedgetail737 wrote:

Frontier did start DEN-BFL/SBA around the same time in the early 2010s, but Mexicana was well dead and gone by that time. I think Mexicana's service outlasted American's.

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 pm

American mainline was gone from BFL before I left the city in 1999. Eagle was left, and even they pulled out. United Express soldiered on with the EM2 bumblebees to LAX and SFO for a while.

Then with the new terminal came along with Continental to IAH - for a while. Same with DL to SLC, XJ to SMF and SAN, and F9 to DEN for a brief time, all now gone.

FATFlyer

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 am

In terms of mainline flights:
American mainline left in 1999
Mexicana operated at BFL from March 2007 to April 2008.
Allegiant was at Bakersfield from Nov 2010 to July 2011
Frontier was at BFL May 2014 to Nov 2014

2008 was a very bad year at BFL
Mexicana to GDL left in April 2008
USAir ended BFL flights in August 2008.
ExpressJet ended BFL serice in August 2008
Delta ended BFL flights in September 2008.

SurfandSnow

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:03 am

I can't help but wonder if DL and/or F9 could be considering resumptions of SLC-BFL and DEN-BFL, respectively. After all, DL just resumed SLC-SBA (then again, a resumption of SLC-SBP or a new service like SLC-MMH/STS mam make even more sense) and ULCC F9 has not been afraid to (re)try small markets lately. Service to Mexico could be offered by Y4.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
In terms of mainline flights:
American mainline left in 1999
Mexicana operated at BFL from March 2007 to April 2008.
Allegiant was at Bakersfield from Nov 2010 to July 2011
Frontier was at BFL May 2014 to Nov 2014

2008 was a very bad year at BFL
Mexicana to GDL left in April 2008
USAir ended BFL flights in August 2008.
ExpressJet ended BFL serice in August 2008
Delta ended BFL flights in September 2008.

Growing up in Bakersfield, I remember in 1978 we first heared about this "Airline Deregulation Act" and what it would mean for Bakersfield: and, as predicted, our airport became a ghost town overnight. Hughes Air West and United fled like basement cockroaches at the flick of a the light switch. A string of commuter airlines came and went, all trying BFL-LAX and I believe BFL-SFO at one point, but I truly do not know.

American arrived with great fanfare in August, 1984, with extremely reliable scheduling, twice a day to DFW. United returned a few months later with two dailies to SFO. their scheduling, however, was literally manic - they threw every conceivable schedule they could think of up on the board, and with every new flight schedule booklet came a complete change in destinations and times. Continental arrived in the midst of their mid-80's DEN expansion, In competition with United on the route, both airlines retreated from that market quickly. When United Express came about, mainline (and DEN) vanished overnight.

America West also began flying from BFL, but oddly enough not to their primary hub in PHX, but four dailies to LAS. Only the overnight bank of flights offered any real connections, so I never understood their strategy. They pulled out, but then returned to PHX and LAS, back when that was a hub. Was this route discontinued by US at some point? I don't remember this route ever ending.

The Bakersfield area was hit very hard in the recession of 2008. ExpressJet stopped branded flying altogether, and Continental had a pilot dispute with the ERJ-145's, if I remember correctly. BFL-IAH in fact held the record for the longest E145 flight in the U.S. for a period of time.

Oddly enough, the route I coveted the most that we never got was Denver, and now that is United's most reliable flight. SFO comes and goes, and I although I always have hope, we shall see if this BFL-DFW service lasts.

86hoya

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 am

As I recall, the largest connecting markets on BFL-DFW back in the early 90s were Tulsa, Oklahhoma City, Houston and smaller Arkansas cities such as Ft. Smith. With AA flying to Houston via PHX, that market is covered, but the oil markets in Oklahoma as the "ethnic" (family connection) markets in Arkansas are still best served over DFW as a one-stop connection. Agriculture and Oil have been the key buisness connections to/from BFL.

FATFlyer

Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
America West also began flying from BFL, but oddly enough not to their primary hub in PHX, but four dailies to LAS. Only the overnight bank of flights offered any real connections, so I never understood their strategy. They pulled out, but then returned to PHX and LAS, back when that was a hub. Was this route discontinued by US at some point? I don't remember this route ever ending.

US ended BFL-LAS on Aug. 19, 2008. BFL-PHX never ended.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos