tphuang

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:18 pm

UA857 wrote:
Will Daxing be like Haneda?

no it won't. PEK is better located for premium demand out of Beijing. PKX is built where it is because land around there hasn't gotten as expensive. Otherwise, it would be even further out from center of Beijing.
nomorerjs wrote:
I would guess the following will be required / demanded:

ATL
AUS
BNA
BOS
CLT
DEN
DFW
DTW
EWR
HNL
IAD
IAH
JFK
LAX
MIA
MSP
ORD
PDX
PHL
PHX
RDU
SEA
SFO
SJC

most of this is unlikely.

justinlee wrote:
tphuang wrote:
The one part i'm looking to see is how many people will actually use PKX domestically.

I guess it's more convenient for people in the south part of the city, but that's also a less wealthy part. It's not really convenient anyone in the north and east part of the city.

Definitely correct, the 3 major business centers currently in Beijing: Guomao, zhongguancun and jinrongjie are all in the north part. PKX will suffer in the recent years i guess. But actually the newly planned “sub center” and Xiongan new district are in the south part so in the long run PKX will benefit from that.

I mean that's definitely the goal of the central planners. But whether big businesses want to move there is a different story. At least the airport is close enough that you are not looking at another HND vs NRT situation.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm

Confuscius wrote:
PDX would’ve been cool but I guess it’s taken.

Definitely

To me, PDX would have been the best option—as desired by many Chinese folks too —for Daxing if we insisted on using P as its code initial, almost as wonderful as DAX, the perfect might-have-been for Daxing starting with D

But that of course had always remained a wish only as both PDX and DAX got taken long ago by other airports, leaving Daxing only some less than satisfying options to choose from

Having said that, I would still prefer to see Daxing having a code starting with D instead of P, like the still available DXP, DXG, DAW, DAJ, etc

Even in the dramatic turn where PKI got replaced by PKX (obviously a combination of PeKing DaXing and it just looks undefinably oddish to me), I honestly saw little difference in likableness or preference btwn the two versions except that, as noted by earlier posters here, PKX does look to be a bit more distinct from PEK vs PKI, hence reducing possible confusion

To sum up, PKX (or the previous PKI) in my opinion is a passable code for Daxing, but in no way a good one, and of course remotely far from perfect

Now the dust has settled. We all have to come to terms with Daxing’s assigned code as PKX regardless of anyone’s likes or dislikes. Maybe with the passage of time, PKX would get widely accepted by ever more ppl, and even become an appealing airport code among the flying public if and when Daxing grows to be a popular aviation hub with fliers from all over the world. Who knows? Fingers crossed

texdravid wrote:
IATA code concerns?

Heck I’m still MAD that Madrid Barajas got MAD and Madras (Chennai) didnt get MAD, they just went to their MAA.

Absolutely

I think that MAD feeling of yours, which I got to perfectly understand now, and this Daxing coding obsession of ours, just speak powerfully to the fact how very strong feelings we ordinary ppl could uphold toward a mental construct called an “airport code” thing, which is simply amazing :biggrin:

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Re: PKX assigned officially as IATA code for Beijing Daxing International Airport

Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:59 am

I was surprised to read the following news titles from most recent reports by outlets that should have known better, which are totally wrong or misleading

China approves 10 new airline routes from Beijing's new airport
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1QO0OA

CAAC plans to approve 32 international routes, 10 taking off from Beijing new airport 民航局拟批准32条国际航线 10条从北京新机场起飞
http://www.chinanews.com/wap/detail/zw/ ... 3715.shtml

Days ago, CAAC did post a spate of ROUTE APPLICATIONS (a total of 32 proposed routes, including 10 for PKX) submitted by Chinese carriers on its website (http://www.caac.gov.cn/XXGK/XXGK/TZTG/2 ... 95021.html)

But by no means does that mean CAAC has granted eventual approvals nor does it mean CAAC plans to green-light all of them

It only means all the 32 proposed routes, having passed the preliminary approval (meaning that those proposals that fail to gain preliminary approval wouldn't get posted/known at all), are being listed on CAAC's website in the further procedural process seeking public comments, implying the possibility of being challenged by competing applications by other interested airlines

Also, in the list of the 32 proposed route applications, quite a few are duplicate ones, eg, PVG-LON with CN3 and HO, PKX-PUS with JD, MF, MU. This surely means they will have to move to the next competitive stage where CAAC uses a newly-designed scoring system to find out which carrier(s) will win the limited traffic rights

So let's wait and see

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:38 am

Mr Wang Junjin, Chairman of Juneyao Group that controls Juneyao Airlines, spoke of HO's strategy for Beijing in a recent interview while attending the Chinese Two Sessions in Beijing 吉祥航空的北京战略

According to Mr Wang, HO has great hopes for Daxing Airport, where the carrier is going to transfer its existing PEK flights after PKX opens this fall

He said HO might not only increase its flights at the new airport, but the Shanghai-based carrier would also like to operate a base at PKX in future

He believed HO is capable of contributing to PKX growth via its quality products and service in both hardware and software

Interesting lines there

I too believe the privately-held HO would become an outstanding player at Beijing aviation if only the Chinese aviation headed toward further liberalization that would grant market players equal opportunities of access to coveted resources that have long been monopolized by a grossly unworthy "flag carrier" there

uta999

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 am

Your computer just got better

chonetsao

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 am

uta999 wrote:

To summerrise:

People's Republic of China
King Kong sized Airport
Happy days (Xi)

Cunard

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:17 pm

uta999 wrote:

I think that you need to watch it again as it clearly states the following,

Finished in June 2019

Opens in September 2019

Actually I'm pleased that someone posted this as I watched it on the BBC Business Report on the BBC at 05.40 BST this morning, there was also a live report from Mumbai regarding JET!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

c933103

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Rumor claimed that both MU and CA are seeking to gain the authority to operates from both PEK and PKX which was previously said to be forbiddened for local Chinese carriers, and rumors indicate that the requests will very likely to be granted by CAAC.
This is a placeholder.

c933103

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Report confirm that MU have successfully fight for their right to continue operate their Shanghai - Beijing route out of PEK instead of PKX. As such the amount of slot they will get at PKX will decrease from 40% to 30%. And as an exchange, CA will use those slots to move some of their routes into PKX, which rendered their previous policy that each Chinese carriers can only pick one of the two BJS airport to operate into obscure.
This is a placeholder.

Ziyulu

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:19 pm

So for the departures board, I imagine it will say Beijing - Capital and Beijing - Daxing? Currently, they say "Beijing".

jsnww81

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 am

Ziyulu wrote:
So for the departures board, I imagine it will say Beijing - Capital and Beijing - Daxing? Currently, they say "Beijing".

That would be my guess, similar to what they do with Shanghai-Pudong and Shanghai-Hongqiao. At some airports in China you still see Hongqiao listed as just "Shanghai" while PVG is "Shanghai-Pudong" but increasingly both airports are noted by name. Chengdu will have a similar split in a few years when the Tianfu airport opens.

GCT64

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:18 am

c933103 wrote:
Report confirm that MU have successfully fight for their right to continue operate their Shanghai - Beijing route out of PEK instead of PKX. As such the amount of slot they will get at PKX will decrease from 40% to 30%. And as an exchange, CA will use those slots to move some of their routes into PKX, which rendered their previous policy that each Chinese carriers can only pick one of the two BJS airport to operate into obscure.

That's messed up an opportunity to get some clarity and simplification - although all the big carriers operate into both SHA and PVG, so why should Beijing be different?
If I was CAAC I would only allow limited MU ops into PEK to continue (e.g. from Shanghai, Kunming, Xian - their bases) but restricted it to that, similarly restrict CA to only some key domestic routes from PKX. Perhaps that is how it has been worked out.
Flown in: A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..55 more types..),VC10,WESX

scbriml

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:22 am

Is there good public transportation in place or planned between PEK and PKX?

I'm planning a trip to China in October probably flying BA and although the flight shows as being to PEK, I'm wondering when or whether BA would switch to PKX?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

c933103

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:35 am

GCT64 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

That's messed up an opportunity to get some clarity and simplification - although all the big carriers operate into both SHA and PVG, so why should Beijing be different?
If I was CAAC I would only allow limited MU ops into PEK to continue (e.g. from Shanghai, Kunming, Xian - their bases) but restricted it to that, similarly restrict CA to only some key domestic routes from PKX. Perhaps that is how it has been worked out.

No, MU will only be able to keep their Shanghai route authority out of PEK, and as an exchange they have to give 1/4 slots they will have at PKX to CA just for this single route. So I don't think MU will be interested in getting more routes back to PEK as that mean they would have to give up even more slots at PKX to others.

Also, according to rumors reported on Chinese media about this arrangement, it seems like the arrangement was more like something that was originally reached by MU and CA behind the door, and then they take the deal to CAAC and basically forced them to change the rule according to their agreements

GCT64

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:45 am

c933103 wrote:
GCT64 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

No, MU will only be able to keep their Shanghai route authority out of PEK, and as an exchange they have to give 1/4 slots they will have at PKX to CA just for this single route. So I don't think MU will be interested in getting more routes back to PEK as that mean they would have to give up even more slots at PKX to others.

Also, according to rumors reported on Chinese media about this arrangement, it seems like the arrangement was more like something that was originally reached by MU and CA behind the door, and then they take the deal to CAAC and basically forced them to change the rule according to their agreements

Interesting, and thank you for the extra info and background. I didn't imagine that they would need to give up 25% of their PKX slots just to keep PEK-Shanghai!
Flown in: A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..55 more types..),VC10,WESX

c933103

Tue May 07, 2019 2:54 pm

http://i.carnoc.com/detail/492595
PKX will conduct trial operation on May 13. That day, CA, MU, CZ will send their flagship aircraft, 748, 359, 380, to attempt landing and take off. MF reportedly will also send their 787 there.
This is a placeholder.

Ishrion

Mon May 13, 2019 5:21 am

https://youtu.be/AI58h98ZNRI

Video of the 4 landings.

airkas1
Head Screener

Mon May 13, 2019 3:42 pm

scbriml

Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Video of the 4 landings.

I've spent plenty of time spotting in the ME, but that has to be the dustiest airport I've ever seen! :shock:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bcbhokie

Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Seriously cool avgeek moment seeing China’s four major airlines bringing their flagships to the new airport all at once. It’s sort of like if IAD was opening brand new tomorrow and was visited by a DL 359, UA 787, an AA 777 and an AS 739 all at once for a photo op. Thanks for sharing!

c933103

Re: Routes in the works for forthcoming Beijing Daxing/PKX

Mon May 13, 2019 7:51 pm

UA857 wrote:
Will Daxing be like Haneda?

If you have to compare it this way then Daxing will be more like Narita
This is a placeholder.

c933103

Mon May 13, 2019 8:09 pm

scbriml wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Video of the 4 landings.

I've spent plenty of time spotting in the ME, but that has to be the dustiest airport I've ever seen! :shock:

Beijing was affected by a severe dust storm on Sunday, while the dust storm should have already passed when they conduct these landings, it seems to have left quite a bit of dusts on the ground.
This is a placeholder.

c933103

Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 pm

MU reveal their PKX plan:
https://www.sohu.com/a/313599725_260616?sec=wd
http://www.xinhuanet.com/travel/2019-05 ... 487819.htm
They want to act quickly and move all their Beijing flights, except flights to Shanghai, into PKX, by March 2020. According to earlier documents, airlines the complete shifting their operation to PKX rapidly can get extra slot reward so they are probably aiming for that.
They will try to form four connecting waves at the PKX airport.
On domestic routes, they will focus on business routes like PKX-Shanghai/KMG/XIY/HGH/NKG/CTU/CKG/CAN/SZX/etc. and they want to have at least five daily frequency on all these routes in the first two years of operation.
On international routes, their early focus will be major routes to places like Paris, London, Tokyo, Sydney, and such.
They will have about 180-200 planes at PKX in year 2025.
They expected that, in 2025, together with other partner airlines, they will offer a total of more than 650 flights per day at the time, covering all major markets within the country, and also cover important aviation hub around the globe including Paris, Amsterdam, Detroit, Seattle, Seoul and such.
This is a placeholder.

justinlee

Tue May 14, 2019 10:00 am

scbriml wrote:

I'm planning a trip to China in October probably flying BA and although the flight shows as being to PEK, I'm wondering when or whether BA would switch to PKX?

There will be an airport express train connecting PKX and the city center as soon as the PKX start operation. But the phase 1 of the "New airport line" will not arrive at the city center, but the Caoqiao station (Line 10).

justinlee

Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 am

scbriml wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Video of the 4 landings.

South part of Beijing is generally more dusty than north part because of the wind direction (basically northwest in most of the dusty days).

c933103

Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 am

justinlee wrote:
scbriml wrote:

There will be an airport express train connecting PKX and the city center as soon as the PKX start operation. But the phase 1 of the "New airport line" will not arrive at the city center, but the Caoqiao station (Line 10).

So travellers will have to double connect via line 10 if they want to connect from a flight arrive at PEK to a flight depart from PKX or vice versa?
This is a placeholder.

justinlee

Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am

c933103 wrote:
justinlee wrote:
scbriml wrote:

So travellers will have to double connect via line 10 if they want to connect from a flight arrive at PEK to a flight depart from PKX or vice versa?

Absolutely correct.

mrwhistler

Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 am

c933103 wrote:
justinlee wrote:
scbriml wrote:

I'm sure there will be inexpensive bus service as well. I'm not aware of any two-airport city with an easy public transportation method to move between the two airports.

sincx

Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 am

mrwhistler wrote:
I'm not aware of any two-airport city with an easy public transportation method to move between the two airports.

I'd argue Tokyo is there, with same-train, terminal-to-terminal service between Narita and Haneda every 40 minutes or so. And at an average speed of 55 km/h, quite fast for a non-airport express train.

A few other cities are close.

PVG and SHA are connected by Shanghai Metro's Line 2, although I believe you do need to transfer trains in the middle of the trip.

ORD and MDW are connected via CTA. Single transfer at Clark-Lake Station.

SFO and OAK are connected via BART. Single same-platform transfer at Balboa Park, and then a people mover to OAK from Coliseum Station.

KIX and UKB are connected by a direct ferry service, but I think there's bus transfers involved.

I'm sure there are more.

justinlee

Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 am

sincx wrote:
mrwhistler wrote:
I'm not aware of any two-airport city with an easy public transportation method to move between the two airports.

I'd argue Tokyo is there, with same-train, terminal-to-terminal service between Narita and Haneda every 40 minutes or so. And at an average speed of 55 km/h, quite fast for a non-airport express train.

PVG and SHA are connected by Shanghai Metro's Line 2, although I believe you do need to transfer trains in the middle of the trip.

SFO and OAK are connected via BART. Single same-platform transfer at Balboa Park, and then a people mover to OAK from Coliseum Station.

KIX and UKB are connected by a direct ferry service, but I think there's bus transfers involved.

I'm sure there are more.

There is an "Airport connecting Line" (S6) in planning but no clue of when it will open. The S-lines will mainly use currently National Railway infrastructure so not a lot of construction but a lot of negotiations.

SQ789

Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 am

Here's another picture of Daxing I found from airteamimages. The airport may have been fully completed now.

https://www.airteamimages.com/-___332195.html
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

c933103

Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 am

justinlee wrote:
sincx wrote:
mrwhistler wrote:

I'm sure there are more.

There is an "Airport connecting Line" (S6) in planning but no clue of when it will open. The S-lines will mainly use currently National Railway infrastructure so not a lot of construction but a lot of negotiations.

Hope it will have better frequency than S1?
This is a placeholder.

Heart30

Mon May 27, 2019 11:26 am

c933103 wrote:
justinlee wrote:
sincx wrote:

I'm sure there are more.

Hope it will have better frequency than S1?

Which S1? Beijing currently have two S1: The maglev S1 of Beijing Subway system from Shichang to Jin'anqiao which is very frequent, actually build in rapid transit standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/S1_line_(Beijing_Subway)

Another S1 officially known as 城市副中心线, a commuter rail service only 4 trains per day from Beijing West railway station to Tongzhou railway station, run on existing China railway lines. https://en.wikipedia.org/Sub-Central_line

---BACK TO THE TOPIC:---
Actually the railway linking the Old airport and New airport is known as S7 (rarely use this code), more frequently known as 城际铁路联络线 https://zh.wikipedia.org/城际铁路联络线 The Phase 1 from New airport to Langfang East railway station will be completed in December 2022, build in 200 km/h standard, but the Phase 2 from Langfang East to Old Airport is still under planning.

S6=Line 21 (Beijing Subway), is a long-term planning express rapid transit line that will not go to Old airport and new airport, it will interchange with the new airport subway line at Guanyinsi (formerly known as Cigezhuang).

For a list for all planned lines, here is a good place: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1 ... rintwiki=1

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos