• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
vulindlela744
Topic Author
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 3:03 pm

Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:06 pm

It’s official. Just annnounced that Southwest Airlines has passed all ETOPS certification from the FAA and is cleared to begin service to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1384
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Yeah, still not going to happen for a while until they get their operational mess under control. Can't have planes operate Hawaii routes when you don't have enough to operate your current schedule.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
 
vulindlela744
Topic Author
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 3:03 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:11 pm

Super80Fan, it’ll be happening a lot sooner than you think
 
B747forever
Posts: 13728
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 pm

vulindlela744 wrote:
Super80Fan, it’ll be happening a lot sooner than you think


Really excited to see what will be announced and at what fares. Hopefully they will start to sell flights the next couple of days.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
FriscoHeavy
Posts: 1503
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Yeah, still not going to happen for a while until they get their operational mess under control. Can't have planes operate Hawaii routes when you don't have enough to operate your current schedule.



They will be selling flights any day now, so a lot sooner than you believe.
Whatever
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3666
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Yeah, still not going to happen for a while until they get their operational mess under control. Can't have planes operate Hawaii routes when you don't have enough to operate your current schedule.

That may or may Not be true. Not every Southwest airplane will be going to Hawaii, Only the ETOPS Overwater equipped airplanes. AND YOU CAN bet those airplanes will NOT be fooled with, Because a guy is putting his BUTT on the LINE (literally) for the safety of that airplane and the FAA would have an Extremely Dim View of any shenanigans with those ETOPS airplanes due to the restrictions in operating ETOPS flights. The Reporting on those flights is pretty stiff and it doesn't take much to ground or restrict an ETOPS airplane. Plus? It's Highly visible as well..
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5411
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:16 pm

Is there any public link to this announcement?
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm

Enjoy your crackers and fruit snacks!
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 pm

RWA380 wrote:
Is there any public link to this announcement?


It's on this afternoon's ATW Online newsletter, but I can't copy the link.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5411
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:46 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Is there any public link to this announcement?


It's on this afternoon's ATW Online newsletter, but I can't copy the link.


Thank you, I found one actually: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/southwe ... awaii.html
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:56 pm

While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.

Coincidentally, what is Southwest's longest route flown today? The longest I can find reference to is LAS-MHT, but that appears to be history.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 17235
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:00 am

Finally! I have no worries on ETOPS aircraft. That is work in a fish bowl (100% visible). I like options. In particular direct flights!
You know nothing John Snow.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 4995
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:04 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.


Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3666
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:18 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.


Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.

You think so? Personally? I don't think WN was ready to do it! Hell!! They Still might not be as ready as they think.. We'll see soon enough though in their performance to and In Hawaii won't we?
 
departedflights
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:34 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Coincidentally, what is Southwest's longest route flown today? The longest I can find reference to is LAS-MHT, but that appears to be history.


According to the Corporate Fact Sheet available at swamedia.com :

"The shortest daily Southwest flight is between Chicago (MDW) and Grand Rapids (GRR) (137 miles). The longest daily Southwest flight is between Newark (EWR) and Oakland (OAK) (2,555 miles)."
 
MrBretz
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:45 am

departedflights wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Coincidentally, what is Southwest's longest route flown today? The longest I can find reference to is LAS-MHT, but that appears to be history.


According to the Corporate Fact Sheet available at swamedia.com :

"The shortest daily Southwest flight is between Chicago (MDW) and Grand Rapids (GRR) (137 miles). The longest daily Southwest flight is between Newark (EWR) and Oakland (OAK) (2,555 miles)."


OAK to HNL is "only" 2409 miles. So EWR to OAK will still be the longest.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13728
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:03 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
Enjoy your crackers and fruit snacks!


So what, you can't go without food for 5 hours?
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
User avatar
BWIAirport
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 am

B747forever wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
Enjoy your crackers and fruit snacks!


So what, you can't go without food for 5 hours?

And airport terminals are barren wastelands with no available food, so it's likely passengers will be rail thin by the time they land in Hawaii. :roll:
Next flight: August 1: WN2002 BWI-MSY B737
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:33 am

departedflights wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Coincidentally, what is Southwest's longest route flown today? The longest I can find reference to is LAS-MHT, but that appears to be history.


According to the Corporate Fact Sheet available at swamedia.com :

"The shortest daily Southwest flight is between Chicago (MDW) and Grand Rapids (GRR) (137 miles). The longest daily Southwest flight is between Newark (EWR) and Oakland (OAK) (2,555 miles)."


Thank you for looking that up! I'll remember that page for future reference.

I think Southwest has been very good to study the Hawai'i market and formulate a plan on how to do it profitably. There are a lot of carriers flying to Hawai'i, and there's a lot of brand loyalty to established carriers. If their business plan indicates they can do Hawai'i their way, and do it right, they will get it started.
 
wjcandee
Posts: 7621
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 am

I think they'll do okay West Coast to Hawaii, because Hawaii is to that area kind of like South Florida is to the Northeast. It will be interesting to see if they draw from anywhere else.

Allegiant was supposed to bury everyone on this route, and ended up going away with their tails between their legs. There were a lot of reasons for that, including hotel non-participation rates, some operational hiccups that the media was delighted to publicize, competitors and their unions planting scare stories, etc. But it goes to show that even a very-successful model may have difficulty adapting to the unique market that is Hawaii.
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:20 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
Enjoy your crackers and fruit snacks!

You mean the same thing you get on DL, UA, and AA?
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:45 am

RWA380 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Is there any public link to this announcement?


It's on this afternoon's ATW Online newsletter, but I can't copy the link.


Thank you, I found one actually: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/southwe ... awaii.html


Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 4952
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:55 am

I just noticed something interesting on SWA.com.

When you enlarge the Route Map (link: https://www.southwest.com/travel_center ... p_dyn.html ) with the little broken square icon in the upper right-hand corner, the map displayed magically includes the Hawaiian Islands (as well as Alaska!)

Maybe this has always been the case but it seems they have at least that tool ready for some soon-to-be-announced new routes! (Unfortunately, there are no blue lines to or from HI yet...)

bb
 
B1168
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:03 am

MrBretz wrote:
departedflights wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Coincidentally, what is Southwest's longest route flown today? The longest I can find reference to is LAS-MHT, but that appears to be history.


According to the Corporate Fact Sheet available at swamedia.com :

"The shortest daily Southwest flight is between Chicago (MDW) and Grand Rapids (GRR) (137 miles). The longest daily Southwest flight is between Newark (EWR) and Oakland (OAK) (2,555 miles)."


OAK to HNL is "only" 2409 miles. So EWR to OAK will still be the longest.


Yikes. No “fine dining” for a 5 hour flight.
Though I don’t think most of those transcontinentals in United States come with complimentary food. That will be a good reference.
Fun fact, I heard someone complaining “food downgrade” for not offering full complimentary food (instead, they opted for fruit “meal”) in Y for a 1.5hr hop between PEK and PVG. Had I been able to opt for HSR, I would absolutely do.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

It's on this afternoon's ATW Online newsletter, but I can't copy the link.


Thank you, I found one actually: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/southwe ... awaii.html


Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
Bradin
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

It's on this afternoon's ATW Online newsletter, but I can't copy the link.


Thank you, I found one actually: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/southwe ... awaii.html


Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


Poor execution? Please explain?
 
mcdu
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:23 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:18 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
RWA380 wrote:


Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2728
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:36 am

it doesn't matter if HI people want WN since they are carrying passengers from rest of the country to HI.
 
User avatar
CARST
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:05 am

BWIAirport wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
Enjoy your crackers and fruit snacks!


So what, you can't go without food for 5 hours?

And airport terminals are barren wastelands with no available food, so it's likely passengers will be rail thin by the time they land in Hawaii. :roll:


What wouldn't be so bad considering how obese people in the US are on average.

Actually if SWA would promise me to arrive thin as a rail after a transcon flight with them, I would book them immediately! Free diets for everyone when you buy a ticket now!
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9513
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 am

mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


So you've conducted a poll. How many have you asked? I'm sure your friends and acquaintances wouldn't phrase it in the negative in deference to your employment at UA.

FWIW, I doubt most Hawaiians care either, but I'm quite certain some do.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:19 am

mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


I moved to O’ahu last month and it wasn’t until I arrived that I realized the people here are excited to see Southwest for two reasons. One, the folks at the airport are excited for potential jobs. And two, they want to see competition within the islands because they are tired of ridiculous inter-island fares. Oh, I lied because I get a third question, they want to know if we will have flights to LAS. If I’m in uniform, I get stopped and asked with excitement. When I’m around town and the topic of why I recently moved here comes up, as soon as I mention Southwest they light up in excitement and immediately ask the questions above. Next time you’re spending time at your home, put on a Southwest shirt and see for yourself.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but Southwest’s presence on the islands has been very much welcomed.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9513
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


I moved to O’ahu last month and it wasn’t until I arrived that I realized the people here are excited to see Southwest for two reasons. One, the folks at the airport are excited for potential jobs. And two, they want to see competition within the islands because they are tired of ridiculous inter-island fares. Oh, I lied because I get a third question, they want to know if we will have flights to LAS. If I’m in uniform, I get stopped and asked with excitement. When I’m around town and the topic of why I recently moved here comes up, as soon as I mention Southwest they light up in excitement and immediately ask the questions above. Next time you’re spending time at your home, put on a Southwest shirt and see for yourself.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but Southwest’s presence on the islands has been very much welcomed.


I'd guess some of that is for the same reasons you mentioned - you're wearing the shirt. We all like to be nice and if we are talking to someone who works for A, we'll usually show interest as a courtesy, if not genuinely. If, however, they work for B, then we'll show interest in B (same reasons) and perhaps dis' A just to put the cherry on top. Again, it's likely somewhere in the middle, but there will absolutely be people who are looking forward to WN arriving. Heck, I'm sure there're more than a few people who have moved to the islands that were regular WN passengers before.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:41 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
mcdu wrote:

I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


I moved to O’ahu last month and it wasn’t until I arrived that I realized the people here are excited to see Southwest for two reasons. One, the folks at the airport are excited for potential jobs. And two, they want to see competition within the islands because they are tired of ridiculous inter-island fares. Oh, I lied because I get a third question, they want to know if we will have flights to LAS. If I’m in uniform, I get stopped and asked with excitement. When I’m around town and the topic of why I recently moved here comes up, as soon as I mention Southwest they light up in excitement and immediately ask the questions above. Next time you’re spending time at your home, put on a Southwest shirt and see for yourself.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but Southwest’s presence on the islands has been very much welcomed.


I'd guess some of that is for the same reasons you mentioned - you're wearing the shirt. We all like to be nice and if we are talking to someone who works for A, we'll usually show interest as a courtesy, if not genuinely. If, however, they work for B, then we'll show interest in B (same reasons) and perhaps dis' A just to put the cherry on top. Again, it's likely somewhere in the middle, but there will absolutely be people who are looking forward to WN arriving. Heck, I'm sure there're more than a few people who have moved to the islands that were regular WN passengers before.


What I’ve gotten out of the experience so far is that they are excited to see Southwest here and they have specific reasons why. Whether or not their expectations will be met, I don’t know. I hope so.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
Maksvell88
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:08 am

Wow. So which airline will suffer the most from this??? I feel Alaska is squeezed
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9513
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:11 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

I moved to O’ahu last month and it wasn’t until I arrived that I realized the people here are excited to see Southwest for two reasons. One, the folks at the airport are excited for potential jobs. And two, they want to see competition within the islands because they are tired of ridiculous inter-island fares. Oh, I lied because I get a third question, they want to know if we will have flights to LAS. If I’m in uniform, I get stopped and asked with excitement. When I’m around town and the topic of why I recently moved here comes up, as soon as I mention Southwest they light up in excitement and immediately ask the questions above. Next time you’re spending time at your home, put on a Southwest shirt and see for yourself.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but Southwest’s presence on the islands has been very much welcomed.


I'd guess some of that is for the same reasons you mentioned - you're wearing the shirt. We all like to be nice and if we are talking to someone who works for A, we'll usually show interest as a courtesy, if not genuinely. If, however, they work for B, then we'll show interest in B (same reasons) and perhaps dis' A just to put the cherry on top. Again, it's likely somewhere in the middle, but there will absolutely be people who are looking forward to WN arriving. Heck, I'm sure there're more than a few people who have moved to the islands that were regular WN passengers before.


What I’ve gotten out of the experience so far is that they are excited to see Southwest here and they have specific reasons why. Whether or not their expectations will be met, I don’t know. I hope so.


Well, that's good. It beats it being a negative, which is about all we get on A.net anymore. Good luck with the expansion.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
WN732
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:53 am

mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


I think you should be over on the United and Delta threads, those airlines seem to be more of your thing. Obviously, you have some issue with WN - and that's fine. But, your continuous bashing is getting ridiculous. It's as if you wait for anyone to trickle some new info and a little joy into a thread, only for you to come and bash it down. And for you to be a fellow airman, that's sad. It must suck to fly for Spirit, but don't bash everyone else having a decent time. Pro tip, don't go into a thread about something you don't like. It's not productive and you'll be spinning your wheels.

As for the rest of us, we are here because we want to gain more knowledge and stay abreast of the coming events. I'm sure a few, including myself, will even be on the inaugural flight over there. WN isn't perfect, but the hard-working people over there do a fine job. You may not support them, but there are countless others that do.
 
barney captain
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2001 5:47 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:56 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.


Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.


737s having been doing ETOPS long before Aloha...and you still fail to make a valid point.

Once it was decided to launch Hawaii, it took just over a year to achieve ETOPS authorization, a perfectly normal timeframe.
Southeast Of Disorder
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5411
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:13 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


So you've conducted a poll. How many have you asked? I'm sure your friends and acquaintances wouldn't phrase it in the negative in deference to your employment at UA.

FWIW, I doubt most Hawaiians care either, but I'm quite certain some do.


I belong to two FB groups that are Big Island & Maui oriented & there are hundreds of folks, just on those sites about ready to pee their pants over WN arriving. I have been asked several times & have obtained hundreds of replies over this lone subject. It is inaccurate to claim that he people of Hawaii are not awaiting a new option for Inter Island traffic, that is false. The local media has made a very big deal about this.

Popular views from locals show, they believe HA rips them off on Inter Island fares & since there is no other large carrier to offer what they require to move around their own state, they think WN is going to be bringing lowerfares between islands & they may. The Inter Island to the locals is the bigger part of the excitement. If you had a new airline to fly around your state, you’d be happy too, I think.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BM BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 am

barney captain wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.


Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.


737s having been doing ETOPS long before Aloha...and you still fail to make a valid point.

Once it was decided to launch Hawaii, it took just over a year to achieve ETOPS authorization, a perfectly normal timeframe.


If I’m not mistaken, the certification process takes an average of 12-18 months. By my count it took WN 16 months after announcing plans. Seems to be as “12-18 months” as you can get.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2728
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 am

Maksvell88 wrote:
Wow. So which airline will suffer the most from this??? I feel Alaska is squeezed


The most obvious ones are AS and HA. I ran through some numbers out of each airports a while back. I think there is plenty of room for fares to drop in all 4 cities. SMF will be a huge bloodbath next year and so will SAN be. Today, I saw fare alert for $258 RT between SAN-OGG on both AS and HA. I think they are feeling the pressure of impending WN fare sales.

Now aside from that, I think legacies will also suffer from all the connection itineraries right now that go through LAX/PHX/DEN/SFO.
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:

I moved to O’ahu last month and it wasn’t until I arrived that I realized the people here are excited to see Southwest for two reasons. One, the folks at the airport are excited for potential jobs. And two, they want to see competition within the islands because they are tired of ridiculous inter-island fares. Oh, I lied because I get a third question, they want to know if we will have flights to LAS. If I’m in uniform, I get stopped and asked with excitement. When I’m around town and the topic of why I recently moved here comes up, as soon as I mention Southwest they light up in excitement and immediately ask the questions above. Next time you’re spending time at your home, put on a Southwest shirt and see for yourself.

I know it doesn’t fit your narrative but Southwest’s presence on the islands has been very much welcomed.


I'd guess some of that is for the same reasons you mentioned - you're wearing the shirt. We all like to be nice and if we are talking to someone who works for A, we'll usually show interest as a courtesy, if not genuinely. If, however, they work for B, then we'll show interest in B (same reasons) and perhaps dis' A just to put the cherry on top. Again, it's likely somewhere in the middle, but there will absolutely be people who are looking forward to WN arriving. Heck, I'm sure there're more than a few people who have moved to the islands that were regular WN passengers before.


What I’ve gotten out of the experience so far is that they are excited to see Southwest here and they have specific reasons why. Whether or not their expectations will be met, I don’t know. I hope so.



You’ve been on island one month and you’re an expert on the local market? Try 15 years here and you have no idea what you’re talking about
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1046
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
RWA380 wrote:


Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


They have been talking about Hawaii for a long time and every time someone writes another set of articles about it. At one point in 2017 they were talking about flights starting in 2018. They obviously knew what ETOPS took to get done and yet every 3 months for the last two years we’ve gotten a set of articles that prompted another set of threads. We even had a set of articles and threads on this test flight. It’s just an excessive amount of press on a topic that is a pedestrian accomplishment for normal airlines. Even Sun Country started Hawaii flights. So congrats to WN, but, wow, way to drag this story out for an eternity.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1647
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Silver1SWA wrote:
barney captain wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.


737s having been doing ETOPS long before Aloha...and you still fail to make a valid point.

Once it was decided to launch Hawaii, it took just over a year to achieve ETOPS authorization, a perfectly normal timeframe.


If I’m not mistaken, the certification process takes an average of 12-18 months. By my count it took WN 16 months after announcing plans. Seems to be as “12-18 months” as you can get.


Well technically it's been 11yrs and 6mo to achieve ETOPS for Hawaii.
When WN announced it was getting the 800's with Etops was "the game changer". It spent time and got side letter agreements with it's MX,Pilots and FA so it could add Hawaii with Red Eyes included. Then fuel prices spiked ATA went belly up and Hawaii got put on hold. WN decided to buy AirTran instead.
With Hawaii on hold WN was focused only on Caribbean international expansion Until the devastation from the Hurricane season stopped everything.
This lead the opportunity retired the 500&300's lower it's MX cost and restart the ETOPS Hawaii program.
Needless to say it's exciting and a long time coming but hopefully by all accounts on Monday morning there's going to be a press conference At HNL.
Rumor still has Sunday March 17 Saint Patrick's Day as the first day of service.
Flight schedule prediction will be 11 Daily flights at both HNL and OGG.
Inter island on Day one.
HNL-OGG 6
West coast
OAK 2
SAN 1
SMF 1
SJC 1
I will be waiting to by a ticket on the first flight.
Aloha Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
pate6924
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Rumor I've heard is that tickets will go on sale next Tuesday (3/5).
 
N312RC
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2000 10:58 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm

barney captain wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
While I realize that ETOPS are a completely different ballgame, SAN-HNL/OGG is only slightly longer a distance than SAN-BWI, and the ability of the proper 737 to fly to the islands has been proven over a period of many years and many operators, The operations manuals are out there, and I have no doubt that when Southwest begins these routes, everything will be ready.


Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.


737s having been doing ETOPS long before Aloha...and you still fail to make a valid point.

Once it was decided to launch Hawaii, it took just over a year to achieve ETOPS authorization, a perfectly normal timeframe.


Everyone keeps looking at WN's incredibly, even glacially slow ETOPS certification process (which it was, frankly) as a one-off event, or worse, completely excusing the company altogether (ahem, fanboys). The problem is that it wasn't. They dithered forever in even making a decision on Hawaii, then acted like it was some sort of never-before-accomplished mission to the moon.

They dithered forever with upgrading their res system (again, glacially slow) which cost them a codesharing opportunity with WS. Even after taking incredibly long they screwed that up and were all over the news.

They're still dithering over how to sell tickets to non-US point of sale. Not like that wasn't cracked years ago by just about every other airline on earth.

Just makes me laugh when people see WN as the savior. They are not an innovative or transformative airline in the slightest. Someone higher up said enjoy your pretzels and fruit snacks and they are exactly right. All the other US majors flying to the islands allow you to buy a sandwich, at the very least. So yes, enjoy those pretzels and fruit snacks. Enjoy watching TV on your phone for a couple hours because once your battery dies, there's nowhere to charge it. Heck, you'll lose live TV and internet in a couple hours anyway because they haven't figured out how to crack global satellite Wi-Fi yet.

They're a faux-LCC that is frankly an operational mess (horrendous mishandled bag rate, crappy D0) with a great PR department and an awesome customer complaints department that gives away the farm (ie buying goodwill). Just laughable.
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.
 
bob75013
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 pm

mcdu wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:

Not sure why this is such a big story. Poor execution by Southwest to have taken this long to get here. Nice that they’ve finally gotten to this point, but would be far less newsworthy for any other carrier.


It’s newsworthy because it has been highly anticipated. Southwest customers want it. The people in Hawaii want it.

Not sure why people can’t just let them celebrate the milestone for the company.


I have a home in Hawaii and I have met not one local that wanted WN. No one cares. Most shop on Expedia or via their loyalty miles with HA UA etc.

You made a bold statement so where is the data that the people of Hawaii want WN. I guess the same way they wanted Allegiant.


We all just KNEW hat it was only a mater of time for the WN hater to chime in with more WN hate, didn't we?

Well to answer your questions, take this:

from today's Honolulu Star Advertiser: : https://www.cntraveler.com/story/why-we ... -to-hawaii

and this: https://www.kitv.com/story/39903487/sou ... -to-hawaii

and this: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/02/ ... 47da977836

and this: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/20 ... i-flights/

and this: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/20 ... lo-market/

so, mcdu, why all of the interest in Southwest's Hawaii flights if people in HAwaii don't care about it? hmmmmmmm?
 
bob75013
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:54 pm

N312RC wrote:
barney captain wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Aloha, 737-700s Honolulu-Oakland, February 2000. The fact it's taken WN this long for 737NG ETOPS is an utter embarrassment.


737s having been doing ETOPS long before Aloha...and you still fail to make a valid point.

Once it was decided to launch Hawaii, it took just over a year to achieve ETOPS authorization, a perfectly normal timeframe.


Everyone keeps looking at WN's incredibly, even glacially slow ETOPS certification process (which it was, frankly) as a one-off event, or worse, completely excusing the company altogether (ahem, fanboys). The problem is that it wasn't. They dithered forever in even making a decision on Hawaii, then acted like it was some sort of never-before-accomplished mission to the moon.

They dithered forever with upgrading their res system (again, glacially slow) which cost them a codesharing opportunity with WS. Even after taking incredibly long they screwed that up and were all over the news.

They're still dithering over how to sell tickets to non-US point of sale. Not like that wasn't cracked years ago by just about every other airline on earth.

Just makes me laugh when people see WN as the savior. They are not an innovative or transformative airline in the slightest. Someone higher up said enjoy your pretzels and fruit snacks and they are exactly right. All the other US majors flying to the islands allow you to buy a sandwich, at the very least. So yes, enjoy those pretzels and fruit snacks. Enjoy watching TV on your phone for a couple hours because once your battery dies, there's nowhere to charge it. Heck, you'll lose live TV and internet in a couple hours anyway because they haven't figured out how to crack global satellite Wi-Fi yet.

They're a faux-LCC that is frankly an operational mess (horrendous mishandled bag rate, crappy D0) with a great PR department and an awesome customer complaints department that gives away the farm (ie buying goodwill). Just laughable.


And yet Southwest's dithering has resulted in 40+ profitable years (unlike the big three), passenger growth consistently higher than the big three, no bankruptcy (unlike the big three), no involuntary layoffs (unlike the big three), a profit level that beats the hell out of the big three, and customer satisfaction that exceeds the bg three.

so your point is .....?
 
N312RC
Posts: 2603
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2000 10:58 am

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Woah there fanboy, calm down.

My point is that they're frankly a hulking monolith that refuses to innovate. Great product for DAL-AMA, not so great for BWI-OAK.

How many other airlines have declared maintenance emergencies lately?
My views as expressed above are my views alone and do not constitute the views of my employer.
 
bob75013
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm

N312RC wrote:
Woah there fanboy, calm down.

My point is that they're frankly a hulking monolith that refuses to innovate. Great product for DAL-AMA, not so great for BWI-OAK.

How many other airlines have declared maintenance emergencies lately?


My point was that Southwest innovates enough to support excellence in the metrics i cited -- maybe not in the way you want, but certainly in the ways the shareholders and passengers want..
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Southwest get final authorization from FAA to begin Hawaii service

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
Silver1SWA wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

I'd guess some of that is for the same reasons you mentioned - you're wearing the shirt. We all like to be nice and if we are talking to someone who works for A, we'll usually show interest as a courtesy, if not genuinely. If, however, they work for B, then we'll show interest in B (same reasons) and perhaps dis' A just to put the cherry on top. Again, it's likely somewhere in the middle, but there will absolutely be people who are looking forward to WN arriving. Heck, I'm sure there're more than a few people who have moved to the islands that were regular WN passengers before.


What I’ve gotten out of the experience so far is that they are excited to see Southwest here and they have specific reasons why. Whether or not their expectations will be met, I don’t know. I hope so.



You’ve been on island one month and you’re an expert on the local market? Try 15 years here and you have no idea what you’re talking about


I never claimed to be an expert. I responded to anecdotal evidence with my own based on personal encounters with people here.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos