Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tmu101
Topic Author

DFW High Winds Today

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:34 am

Greetings all,

A pretty strong cold front came through early this morning through the DFW Metroplex bringing along high west-northwest winds. As a result looks like Runways 31L and 31R are being used for takeoffs and landings and not the main runways. A very cool time to go spotting at DFW IMHO. :-) Anyone flying out of or into DFW today? Are there long delays due to the limited ops? What's it like to land on 31L? What has it been like? I'd LOVE to takeoff on either 31L or 31R to get a different perspective. But if hate to endure those delays (at least it's on a Saturday and not generally crazy). Looks like takeoffs from 31R turn to 360 degrees shortly after takeoff roll and continue on a northerly heading.

Thank you all for your responses!

FlyingLaw1

Re: DFW High Winds Today

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:39 am

A couple of years ago I flew into and out of DFW on a day when the winds were similar. It was wild watching airplanes land and take off (seemingly) across the field!

Ishrion

Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:58 am

Looks like they've just switched back to the regular 35/36 runways with DL2778 being the last to land on 31L it seems. 31R is still in use. I've never seen 31L be used before and I was just about to post about it before I saw this. It makes me wonder, has 13L ever been used for landings?

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:07 am

Ishrion wrote:
Looks like they've just switched back to the regular 35/36 runways with DL2778 being the last to land on 31L it seems. 31R is still in use. I've never seen 31L be used before and I was just about to post about it before I saw this. It makes me wonder, has 13L ever been used for landings?

I've always wondered that too. I think I've asked that before on A-net and someone posted a shot of tire streaks on 13L. I'm thinking it has happened before. Would love to see it happen in person.

FlyingLaw1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 am

I can't imagine it would happen very often...

nomorerjs

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:51 am

Winds at DFW are always terrible, but fortunately 90%+ are either N or S.

It’s those few days when NW fronts F things up.

Irehdna

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:08 am

FWIW this cold front and strong winds will hit the US East Coast Monday. AFAIK the entire northeast has a wind watch/warning

AJRfromSYR

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:18 am

For future reference is there good places to spot for the 31's?

AJRfromSYR

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 am

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:02 am

AJRfromSYR wrote:

By the south end of 31R there is a small pull-off off of Valley View Lane and by 31L there is a small road of off the airport perimeter road (near where that fire training rig on the west side is located). I was parked there a while back on a similar day and I swear it looked like there were planes lined up with 35C or 35R and would turn to align itself with 31L at a few hundred feet. Was very cool to watch (maybe i'm misremembering the exact details - I've slept since then. ;-) )

airstatdfw

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:07 am

tmu101 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I've always wondered that too. I think I've asked that before on A-net and someone posted a shot of tire streaks on 13L. I'm thinking it has happened before. Would love to see it happen in person.

Last time I saw 13L arrivals was a very long time ago, but it was after a tropical storm was coming through with strong SE winds but very rare.

When DFW does go NW Flow the 31L arrivals will either line up on the 35C or 35R LOC and circle to land 31L. It is great to watch especially heavies banking to line up.

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:10 am

I saw the daily Lufthansa take off of 31L today - I live in Trophy Club and it was unusual to say the least. Does QANTAS come to DFW on Saturdays? Wonder what they would do as I don't think they land anywhere on the east side (yet - I believe either the Yankee or Zulu crossover bridges are currently being reinforced to allow for A380 ops on the east side). Would it land on 31L, land on the 18's, was it not windy enough at the time of its arrival for the 31 ops to be in progress, or did it divert to wait out the strong winds?

FlyingLaw1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:22 am

tmu101 wrote:
I saw the daily Lufthansa take off of 31L today - I live in Trophy Club and it was unusual to say the least. Does QANTAS come to DFW on Saturdays? Wonder what they would do as I don't think they land anywhere on the east side (yet - I believe either the Yankee or Zulu crossover bridges are currently being reinforced to allow for A380 ops on the east side). Would it land on 31L, land on the 18's, was it not windy enough at the time of its arrival for the 31 ops to be in progress, or did it divert to wait out the strong winds?

Check this out: https://www.dfwairport.com/cs/groups/we ... 246148.pdf

All the runway/taxi/etc requirements for A380 operations at DFW are in this document.

FriscoHeavy

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:28 am

nomorerjs wrote:
Winds at DFW are always terrible, but fortunately 90%+ are either N or S.

It’s those few days when NW fronts F things up.

Don’t be dramatic. Winds are not always terrible. In fact, 95% of the time they aren’t terrible or problematic at all.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:47 am

There were several go arounds right before the runways changed around noon. It was a pretty dramatic couple minutes.

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:52 am

airstatdfw wrote:
tmu101 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Last time I saw 13L arrivals was a very long time ago, but it was after a tropical storm was coming through with strong SE winds but very rare.

When DFW does go NW Flow the 31L arrivals will either line up on the 35C or 35R LOC and circle to land 31L. It is great to watch especially heavies banking to line up.

Ah I did remember that correctly - thanks for clarifying!

mcoatc

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:54 am

NW flow is pretty rare. It's something we only do once or twice a year and generally try to avoid as much as possible because it kills the arrival rate and correspondingly disrupts the AAL operations so far as connecting banks go.

31L prop departures are standard, and hardly unheard of for jets. Jets might depart 31L due to an extended maintenance closure of one of the 36s. Rare, but we do it. 31L arrivals do not require a circle approach contrary to someone's claim otherwise. Today it was simply visuals.

13L arrivals aren't something I've seen at DFW, and the winds don't normally blow that way around here. I believe I've heard that tropical storm story from someone. 13L departures are effectively limited to props and aren't something you see much of. There just aren't that many props these days and since you're shooting a gap with 17L arrivals, are often more trouble than they're worth.

Also, I'm not sure about the bad wind comment. It does get gusty around here, but it's not normally anything crazy.

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:55 am

FlyingLaw1 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

All the runway/taxi/etc requirements for A380 operations at DFW are in this document.

That is a great document - thanks for sharing! :-)

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 am

FlyingLaw1 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

FlyingLaw1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 am

tmu101 wrote:
FlyingLaw1 wrote:
tmu101 wrote:

Happy to!! :)

4engines4lnghll

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:08 am

yeeeeeah... flew in this afternoon and it was quite a landing

777222LR

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:22 am

OKC was incredible as far as the winds. I've lived here for a long time and I don't remember them being this strong without some sort of storm rolling through.

9w748capt

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 am

777222LR wrote:
OKC was incredible as far as the winds. I've lived here for a long time and I don't remember them being this strong without some sort of storm rolling through.

Yes!!! It was nonstop this morning - sounded like the roar of the ocean. Pretty incredible.

tmu101
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:05 pm

mcoatc wrote:
NW flow is pretty rare. It's something we only do once or twice a year and generally try to avoid as much as possible because it kills the arrival rate and correspondingly disrupts the AAL operations so far as connecting banks go.

31L prop departures are standard, and hardly unheard of for jets. Jets might depart 31L due to an extended maintenance closure of one of the 36s. Rare, but we do it. 31L arrivals do not require a circle approach contrary to someone's claim otherwise. Today it was simply visuals.

13L arrivals aren't something I've seen at DFW, and the winds don't normally blow that way around here. I believe I've heard that tropical storm story from someone. 13L departures are effectively limited to props and aren't something you see much of. There just aren't that many props these days and since you're shooting a gap with 17L arrivals, are often more trouble than they're worth.

Also, I'm not sure about the bad wind comment. It does get gusty around here, but it's not normally anything crazy.

NW flows are indeed rare. I can count on two hands the amount of times I've seen it here (I've lived in the metroplex 14 years now). There were probably more times but the amount I was aware of I can count on two hands. :-) fun as an enthusiast to watch, horrible as a passenger (regarding delays) or for someone working for airlines I'm sure.

I've seen plenty of departures of off 31L even without the NW flows esp. the cargo airlines. Regarding landings I have landed on 13R twice and 31R once (under normal circumstances). As an enthusiast it would be fun to depart off of either 31 or land on 31L just to do something different (like landing on 11 ot 29 at EWR). Jealous of those who got to experience it.

FlyingLaw1

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:53 pm

777222LR wrote:

I live in SW MO and I observed the same. I was sitting watching TV about 9-10 last night and at one point the wind was so strong I thought there was a storm approaching. We had gusts to 50+. Absolutely crazy!

rbavfan

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Irehdna wrote:
FWIW this cold front and strong winds will hit the US East Coast Monday. AFAIK the entire northeast has a wind watch/warning

That can't be good for NYC/BOS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos