PlaneMad134
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:43 pm

So with a lot of expansion from Loganair after the BMI demise, what will be the next new routes for them?
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Loganair now have:
ABERDEEN to Bristol, Esjberg and Oslo
DERRY to London Stansted and Manchester
NEWCASTLE to Brussels and Stavanger
Above are all FlyBMI routes except Manchester which is a new route

In addition, during S19 there will be other new routes:
EDINBURGH to Bergen, Guernsey, Islay and Stavanger
GLASGOW to Dusseldorf
GUERNSEY to Bournemouth
JERSEY to Bournemouth and Humberside
 
PlaneMad134
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:14 pm

Seems like an announcement is to be made in a few minutes at 12:15 GMT, supposedly new routes from Southend.
 
PlaneMad134
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Confirmed as Stornoway, Aberdeen and Glasgow to Southend with Edinburgh on the cards as well.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:04 pm

12 May 2019 - London Southend to Aberdeen (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Glasgow (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.

Therefore weekdays there will be 6 rotations at London Southend daily. More information on my twitter @SeanM1997 if you want the timings
 
8herveg
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:07 pm

PlaneMad134 wrote:
Confirmed as Stornoway, Aberdeen and Glasgow to Southend with Edinburgh on the cards as well.


Is there really a market from Southend to Stornoway? I know SEN is considered a 'London airport', but surely there'd be better off operating it into LGW at least, so they can connect onto BA flights?
 
ZuluTime
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:23 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Where would they get LGW slots from?!
 
8herveg
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:19 pm

ZuluTime wrote:
Where would they get LGW slots from?!


There are slots still available at LGW - aren't there? Airlines - new or current - are continuously launching new routes.

Although I see the Stornoway flight is an extension of one of the Glasgow flights anyway.
 
Breathe
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 pm

8herveg wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Confirmed as Stornoway, Aberdeen and Glasgow to Southend with Edinburgh on the cards as well.


Is there really a market from Southend to Stornoway?

This does seem like a very leftfield route. I can only imagine there's demand from inbound tourism or perhaps a market to justify sending one of their small aircraft, like the Twin Otter down to SEN? :?:

Either way new routes and competition between London-Scotland should always be welcomed.
 
8herveg
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:31 pm

8herveg wrote:
ZuluTime wrote:
Where would they get LGW slots from?!


There are slots still available at LGW - aren't there? Airlines - new or current - are continuously launching new routes.

Although I see the Stornoway flight is an extension of one of the Glasgow flights anyway.


Just re-read the schedule. It's only via GLA on Sundays. Let's see how the non-stop flights get on. I'm surprised no one has launched EDI to SEN sooner since EZY stopped it.
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:32 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
12 May 2019 - London Southend to Aberdeen (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Glasgow (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.

Therefore weekdays there will be 6 rotations at London Southend daily. More information on my twitter @SeanM1997 if you want the timings


Do we know what equipment Loganair will be using on these routes?

Planning on heading back up to Dundee from London around the time those routes launch. Could be an alternative to the pricey STN-DND route.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
Breathe
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 pm

BritishB747 wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
12 May 2019 - London Southend to Aberdeen (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Glasgow (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.

Therefore weekdays there will be 6 rotations at London Southend daily. More information on my twitter @SeanM1997 if you want the timings


Do we know what equipment Loganair will be using on these routes?

Planning on heading back up to Dundee from London around the time those routes launch. Could be an alternative to the pricey STN-DND route.

I wonder if Loganair would consider switching LDY and DND to SEN.
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Breathe wrote:
BritishB747 wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
12 May 2019 - London Southend to Aberdeen (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Glasgow (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.

Therefore weekdays there will be 6 rotations at London Southend daily. More information on my twitter @SeanM1997 if you want the timings


Do we know what equipment Loganair will be using on these routes?

Planning on heading back up to Dundee from London around the time those routes launch. Could be an alternative to the pricey STN-DND route.

I wonder if Loganair would consider switching LDY and DND to SEN.


It would probably make more sense from an operational perspective to have all the flights at SEN. I am sure it would be argued that there are less connection opportunities from SEN than STN, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think many people connect to other flights at STN.

From a passenger perspective it would probably be an improvement. The train leaves from Liverpool Street and only takes an extra 6 or 7 minutes. The station is at the terminal at SEN and the airport is very easy to get through.

As DND and LDY are PSO routes, I don't know if there would be a process required to switch the airport on the London end.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
Breathe
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:07 pm

I suppose another factor for launching Stornoway -Southend could be a decent amount of freight take in the hold.
 
8herveg
Posts: 1344
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:17 pm

It would make a lot of sense moving the DND and LDY flights from STN to SEN. With these and the new flights, that would mean 11 new daily LM flights from SEN in the week. Plus, if they launch EDI which would likely be 3 x daily too, that would be 14! Pretty impressive!

Aberdeen - 3 x daily
Dundee - 2 x daily
Glasgow - 3 x daily
Londonderry - 2 x daily
Stornoway - 1 x daily
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:36 pm

BritishB747 wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
12 May 2019 - London Southend to Aberdeen (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Glasgow (3 daily weekdays and 2 on Sundays)
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.

Therefore weekdays there will be 6 rotations at London Southend daily. More information on my twitter @SeanM1997 if you want the timings


Do we know what equipment Loganair will be using on these routes?

Planning on heading back up to Dundee from London around the time those routes launch. Could be an alternative to the pricey STN-DND route.


Former flyBMI Embraer 145 - 49 seats
 
xijiayu
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 pm

I was on Stobart Air (Flybe) last year from SEN to GLA on ATR72 and load was very poor with less than 50%. I wish them success this time with three daily and hope this route could sustain.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 pm

xijiayu wrote:
I was on Stobart Air (Flybe) last year from SEN to GLA on ATR72 and load was very poor with less than 50%. I wish them success this time with three daily and hope this route could sustain.


Since then, Stobart have cut Glasgow and Eastern Airways have made Aberdeen one-stop instead of non-stop. In addition, the routes serving Glasgow and Aberdeen could have connections onto other Scottish destinations and some Norwegian routes
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:44 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
xijiayu wrote:
I was on Stobart Air (Flybe) last year from SEN to GLA on ATR72 and load was very poor with less than 50%. I wish them success this time with three daily and hope this route could sustain.


Since then, Stobart have cut Glasgow and Eastern Airways have made Aberdeen one-stop instead of non-stop. In addition, the routes serving Glasgow and Aberdeen could have connections onto other Scottish destinations and some Norwegian routes


I think the loads are very hit and miss. I flew with Flybe on the SEN-GLA flight last year (Friday night). It was booked as a E195, however that went tech. They subbed an ATR-72 onto the flight, but I was one of 15 people offloaded as it was full. It was the last flight of the day so we were put up in the Holiday Inn next to the airport. The next day we flew up on a Bulgaria Air E190, which I would say was about 75% full. So that flight would have been a lot lower on numbers had it not been bulked out by 15 people from the flight the night before.

I hope Loganair make these routes work, but the London to Scotland market is a busy one. Lots of competition across all the airports, so there may be little profit to be made.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am

Breathe wrote:
8herveg wrote:
PlaneMad134 wrote:
Confirmed as Stornoway, Aberdeen and Glasgow to Southend with Edinburgh on the cards as well.


Is there really a market from Southend to Stornoway?

This does seem like a very leftfield route. I can only imagine there's demand from inbound tourism or perhaps a market to justify sending one of their small aircraft, like the Twin Otter down to SEN? :?:


Inbound tourism appeal and by that I mean the Stornoway to Southend (London) direction, but yes Lewis and all the Hebridean islands have seen a tourist boom in recent years and Loganair are catching up with that. And NO you will not see a Twin Otter operating to Southend, these are exclusively used to Barra, Tiree and Campbeltown where operational demands (especially Barra) require the STOL capability.
 
vfw614
Posts: 3752
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:34 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:47 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
28 May 2019 - London Southend to Stornoway - route operates once daily weekdays and Sundays via Glasgow.


SYY is via GLA on all days (30 minute stopover). I serioulsy doubt that there would be a market for 50 daily seats on a nonstop flight (given that both LSI and KOI do not have nonstop flights).
 
Breathe
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:14 pm

BritishB747 wrote:
I hope Loganair make these routes work, but the London to Scotland market is a busy one. Lots of competition across all the airports, so there may be little profit to be made.

Indeed. It'll be interesting to see if Loganair can succeed where easyJet and flybe failed.
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:59 am

Breathe wrote:
BritishB747 wrote:
I hope Loganair make these routes work, but the London to Scotland market is a busy one. Lots of competition across all the airports, so there may be little profit to be made.

Indeed. It'll be interesting to see if Loganair can succeed where easyJet and flybe failed.



I suppose the E145 may be a better sized aircraft for the market. That's what I am hoping anyway! I would hate to see Loganair trying to run before they can walk.

The market from Southend seems to be a very low fare environment. The base fares on Loganair seem to be fair for the service they offer, however when I flew Flybe to Glasgow I picked up the ticket for about £45 a week before departure. I'm not sure if Loganair will be able to compete on those sort of prices a week before departure.

I will book the flight for my next trip home to visit family. Try it out and see how it goes.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
NDGAviation
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Loganair are continuing their growth since ending the franchise agreement with Flybe and expanding their route network, moreover recently adding routes from Aberdeen to London Southend, Bristol, Esbjerg and Oslo since Flybmi have ceased operations. I wonder if they will ever operate their short-haul/regional routes without subsidisation from public authorities.

I am in my final year of university studying International Tourism and Airline Management. I am currently writing my dissertation on Loganair, specifically if it can continue to operate air services without being involved in franchise agreements or receiving public subsidisation to fly routes deemed vital to islands and regional areas of Scotland. As part of my dissertation I am required to gather primary information, in order to do so I have created an anonymous questionnaire and would be appreciative for all the responses I obtain.

The link to the questionnaire can be accessed here: https://survey.napier.ac.uk/n/zz4s4.aspx.

Thank you,

Nathan
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Carlisle Lake District to have passenger flights from 4 July 2019 to London Southend (4 weekly), Belfast City (5 weekly) and Dublin (5 weekly) on Saab 340

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 85569?s=19
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 81985?s=19
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 95399?s=19

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-47438607
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:37 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Carlisle Lake District to have passenger flights from 4 July 2019 to London Southend (4 weekly), Belfast City (5 weekly) and Dublin (5 weekly) on Saab 340

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 85569?s=19
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 81985?s=19
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/11 ... 95399?s=19

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-47438607


Quite the expansion going on from Loganair, and a nice little hub operation at Southend as well. I assume the Carlisle operation will only require one Saab 340 to be based there? An average of two return flights a day doesn't seem like high utilisation for the aircraft.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
awwdabaaby
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am

Looking at the seat map it appears it is a D328 that will operate the services, unless they have blocked off seats on the saab
 
awwdabaaby
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:57 am

Looking at the seat map it appears it is a D328 that will operate the services, unless they have blocked off seats on the saab
 
AZa346
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 am

Who is replacing BMI regional on flights operated for LH, like munich to Milan Bergamo?
 
Cunard
Posts: 2319
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:46 pm

awwdabaaby wrote:
Looking at the seat map it appears it is a D328 that will operate the services, unless they have blocked off seats on the saab


According to routesonline it's a SAAB 340 that's going to be based at Carlisle not a D328.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
awwdabaaby
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Cunard wrote:
awwdabaaby wrote:
Looking at the seat map it appears it is a D328 that will operate the services, unless they have blocked off seats on the saab


According to routesonline it's a SAAB 340 that's going to be based at Carlisle not a D328.


My mistake, I had miscounted the seats
 
PlaneMad134
Topic Author
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:59 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Southend services all started earlier this week with Loganair on E145 aircraft.
 
by738
Posts: 2881
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 pm

.... with only ABZ carrying anything like enough bums on seats in terms of forward bookings. Very early days, but expect this program to be very different next season than it is currently... Most punters from Glasgow won't even know where Southend is nevermind labelling it as a LON gateway.
 
BritishB747
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am

by738 wrote:
.... with only ABZ carrying anything like enough bums on seats in terms of forward bookings. Very early days, but expect this program to be very different next season than it is currently... Most punters from Glasgow won't even know where Southend is nevermind labelling it as a LON gateway.


I booked the flight from Southend to Aberdeen recently for a trip to visit home in July. Decided to try out a Loganair jet over the Saab 340 on the Dundee route. When I looked at the seat booking chart I was surprised to see that every seat on the plane was available. Hopefully the loads begin to improve. Then again, it might be nice to have a private jet to Aberdeen.
AT5 AT7 AB6 319 320 321 333 33V 343 346 AR8 733 734 736 73G 738 744 752 753 763 77E 77W 788 BET CR7 D10 D38 DHT DH4 E70 E75 E90 F70 J41 M83 S20 SF3
 
Someone83
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 am

Looks like Loganair is ceasing their 6x weekly ABZ-OSL from June 9th

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2019/
 
eicvd
Posts: 1393
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 am

These guys would be my perfect idea of the airline to get flights from WAT back up & running again to the UK especially when the ATRs arrive. New modern aircraft to LTN, BHX & MAN possibly EDI & GLA. They'd be a much better option than the runway extension & thoughts of European flights.
COYBIB
 
User avatar
albertocsc
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Loganair thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

Yesterday, I coincided at the airport with Loganair Saab 2000 registered G-LGNS.
As I checked afterwards, that plane was operating the Aberdeen route. It didn't seem to have many passengers on board, though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos