dcajet
Topic Author

Official: Delta will postpone A220 operations

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Lack of staff at the FAA to complete the certification process due to the partial federal government shutdown:

Last edited by dcajet on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Pudelhund

Re: Official: Delta will postpone A220 operations

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Great, looks like I am totally out of luck because I purchased these tickets specifically to go on the A220 flight and now I have no reason to travel.

ChuckSchumer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 pm

This sucks hard, I was all pumped and excited to take the inaugural 7:00 AM departure from DFW-LGA next Thursday, but looks like I’ll have to fly my frustrations out on the archaic Mad Dogs.

KBUF

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:41 pm

Feel bad for everyone who's booked seats on one of the A220 flights now that they'll be changed to different equipment. Hope you all can get your money back.
"Starting today, the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup."-Terry Pegula, February 22, 2011

evank516

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

What aircraft do we think will be subbed in? The 717?

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
Great, looks like I am totally out of luck because I purchased these tickets specifically to go on the A220 flight and now I have no reason to travel.

Update: Delta customer service quickly and easily cancelled my flights and provided full wallet credit for me to book in the future.

Runway28L

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm

evank516 wrote:
What aircraft do we think will be subbed in? The 717?

Either CRJ9s, E175s, B712s, or A319s I’d imagine.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

drdisque

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

I'm thinking it will be mostly MD-88's subbing since that fleet has the most slack.

yyztpa

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm

drdisque wrote:
I'm thinking it will be mostly MD-88's subbing since that fleet has the most slack.

With all the enthusiasts cancelling, there should be a lot of open seats :D

jumbojet

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Update: Delta customer service quickly and easily cancelled my flights and provided full wallet credit for me to book in the future.

Not surprised, thats one of the many reasons I continue to fly Delta. They actually listen and care and will provide a refund even though a refund wasnt due. Good luck trying to get that on any other airline.

jco613

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:01 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Not surprised, thats one of the many reasons I continue to fly Delta. They actually listen and care and will provide a refund even though a refund wasnt due. Good luck trying to get that on any other airline.

Correct me if I am wrong, but change of departure/arrival time or change of equipment is an acceptable reason for DL to refund your money. I don't know about other airlines, but this seems to be routine with them.

MSPNWA

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Always risky to book "first-time" or "last-time flights". I hesitate to fly any of them now after having problems.

Pudelhund wrote:

So you didn't get a cash refund? That's disappointing. I got my money back when DL messed up the last DC-9 flights.

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

jco613 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but change of departure/arrival time or change of equipment is an acceptable reason for DL to refund your money. I don't know about other airlines, but this seems to be routine with them.

And that's why jumbojet said what he said.
Type of equipment is not a guarantee; so change of equipment is not a breach of contract and does not legally warrant a refund. Delta does it as a goodwill.

evank516

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:08 pm

drdisque wrote:

Delta doesn't have any crew bases for MD-88s in NYC anymore, and they made a very public statement saying those planes will no longer fly in and out of NYC Airports.

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:15 pm

jco613 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Departure/Arrival time yes, equipment change no.

EDIT: and to be clear, a credit refund not just for this flight, but my one-way positioning flights as well (CMH-LGA, BOS-CMH).
Last edited by Pudelhund on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

727LOVER

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm

Looks like shutdown may be over....fings crossed :pray: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MIflyer12

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm

jco613 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Change of equipment is not a reason. 'Significant' change of arrival or departure time is qualifying but the DOT doesn't define it. DL uses greater than 90 minutes. Change of carrier is a qualifying reason so I think the new equipment will be mostly mainline, not Delta Connection carriers.

lightsaber

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:17 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
jco613 wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

Type of equipment is not a guarantee; so change of equipment is not a breach of contract and does not legally warrant a refund. Delta does it as a goodwill.

That is Goodwill. I'd use the credit in the future to try the type.

Mildly on topic, do we know the MTOW and engine thrust DL ordered if the A220-100 and -300?

I've speculated in the past, for the great deal, DL received handicapped (reduced) MTOW and thrust. But how much? This is the dongle conversation. ;). Ok, I'm read evidence, but I do not have a link, that DL's aircraft dongle even linits fuel loading, but I'm not sure to what level.

Fro. What I've seen, the -100 has a 2-class range of 3100nm (West coast to Hawaii and return, small winter penalties), 2950 (TCON in winter), 2500nm (ATL-LAX, SLC-IAD in winter) and 2200nm (DTW-FLL, in winter) and 1900nm (regional) dependent on MTOW& fuel dongle. Pratt discounts on reduced engine thrust too. That just impacts short field unless at top MTOW.

I'm curious as to which of the 5 DL bought. My source could only confirm it was one of the middle 3 and at least 2,000lbf engine derate (below maximum for -100).

Lightsaber
You know nothing John Snow.

RobertPhoenix

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:27 pm

jumbojet wrote:

Southwest ?? Cancel for any reason at all, including none.

Revelation

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm

JetBlue is also confirming a postponement:

In 2020, JetBlue will receive only one A220-300, instead of the five it initially planned for. Priest says two of the four postponed deliveries will shift to 2021, and the other two to 2025. An updated fleet plan shows the airline will take delivery of six A220-300s in 2021, up from four previously.

"We slightly delayed the delivery schedule to ensure we have selected the best business partners for the aircraft interiors from an economic and customer experience standpoint," says JetBlue's spokesperson. He adds that the airline will take delivery of its first A220-300 – and the sole A220 in that year – in the second half of 2020.

Ref: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... el-455266/
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

CRJ200flyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
jco613 wrote:

Mildly on topic, do we know the MTOW and engine thrust DL ordered if the A220-100 and -300?

I've speculated in the past, for the great deal, DL received handicapped (reduced) MTOW and thrust. But how much? This is the dongle conversation. ;). Ok, I'm read evidence, but I do not have a link, that DL's aircraft dongle even linits fuel loading, but I'm not sure to what level.

Fro. What I've seen, the -100 has a 2-class range of 3100nm (West coast to Hawaii and return, small winter penalties), 2950 (TCON in winter), 2500nm (ATL-LAX, SLC-IAD in winter) and 2200nm (DTW-FLL, in winter) and 1900nm (regional) dependent on MTOW& fuel dongle. Pratt discounts on reduced engine thrust too. That just impacts short field unless at top MTOW.

I'm curious as to which of the 5 DL bought. My source could only confirm it was one of the middle 3 and at least 2,000lbf engine derate (below maximum for -100).

Lightsaber

Talked with my friend who’s in A220 training at Delta.

A220-100: PW1521G 21,000lbs thrust
A220-300: PW1524G 23,300 lbs thrust

I didn’t get the MTOWs, but if they’re as listed by Bombardier, the two models have the exact same thrust to weight ratio.

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Revelation wrote:

In 2020, JetBlue will receive only one A220-300, instead of the five it initially planned for. Priest says two of the four postponed deliveries will shift to 2021, and the other two to 2025. An updated fleet plan shows the airline will take delivery of six A220-300s in 2021, up from four previously.

"We slightly delayed the delivery schedule to ensure we have selected the best business partners for the aircraft interiors from an economic and customer experience standpoint," says JetBlue's spokesperson. He adds that the airline will take delivery of its first A220-300 – and the sole A220 in that year – in the second half of 2020.

Except the reason JetBlue is postponing it has nothing to do with the reason why Delta is doing the same.

Revelation

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Except the reason JetBlue is postponing it has nothing to do with the reason why Delta is doing the same.

Well, yes, the reason is there in black and white. I didn't think it was worth a separate thread.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Delta717

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Has anyone else had luck with this? I reached out to Delta on Twitter yesterday asking them if they'd waive the award re-deposit fee and they told me "equipment isn't guaranteed." But that was yesterday. It would be nice not to have to fork over $250 for an award flight so I could re-book when they go into service.

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 pm

Delta717 wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Has anyone else had luck with this? I reached out to Delta on Twitter yesterday asking them if they'd waive the award re-deposit fee and they told me "equipment isn't guaranteed." But that was yesterday. It would be nice not to have to fork over $250 for an award flight so I could re-book when they go into service.

I would imagine that the twitter handlers aren’t the departmental authority on this and just speaking boilerplate. Just call the customer service line.

lightsaber

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Lightsaber

I didn’t get the MTOWs, but if they’re as listed by Bombardier, the two models have the exact same thrust to weight ratio.

Since maximum A220-100 thrust is 23,300, going with 21,000 is respectable. (Thrust options go down to a mere 18,000.).

This could be the 2950nm variant! Or 2500nm. I can only speculate.

23,300lbf is the current certified maximum, but Bombardier has a thrust bump where at 100kts+ the rudder has enough force to allow more thrust. But as no one has bought the option, it has yet to be certified.

The full thrust -300 implies DL bought a higher MTOW variant. In other words, TCON or better...

Lightsaber
You know nothing John Snow.

UGA777

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Is there an ETA on the new induction date? The shutdown appears to be over as of today.

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:21 pm

Now that the government has reopened (or will in the next few hours), is there a (slim) chance for DL to be able to introduce the A220 as originally planned?

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Now that the government has reopened (or will in the next few hours), is there a (slim) chance for DL to be able to introduce the A220 as originally planned?

If this actually happened I will indulge in some heavy drinking tonight.

VC10DC10

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:32 pm

lightsaber wrote:
2200nm (DTW-FLL, in winter)

That is a *really* long flight between those airports.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

Don’t think so, the FAA inspectors have actually already been back to work for a week now without pay. There is probably too much of a log jam right now at the FAA to certify all of the new airplanes waiting to enter service. I have a feeling it won’t be a long delay for entry. (probably 1-2 week)

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:58 pm

UGA777 wrote:
Is there an ETA on the new induction date? The shutdown appears to be over as of today.

February 7th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AirlineFlyer ... 9979840512

Pudelhund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
UGA777 wrote:

February 7th.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am on a flight to Japan that day... :( :( :(

WayexTDI

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:26 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
UGA777 wrote:

February 7th.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am on a flight to Japan that day... :( :( :(

Well, ask DL to fly you on the A220 to Japan, they owe you that much...

OK, it's a joke, I'll see myself out.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Also looks like the 6am LGA-BOS flight on the 7th is already filling up, at least in FC. When I first saw the tweet there were still 5 seats up front and it’s already down to 2. Y and C+ still appear wide open.

CRJ200flyer

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm

lightsaber wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Since maximum A220-100 thrust is 23,300, going with 21,000 is respectable. (Thrust options go down to a mere 18,000.).

This could be the 2950nm variant! Or 2500nm. I can only speculate.

23,300lbf is the current certified maximum, but Bombardier has a thrust bump where at 100kts+ the rudder has enough force to allow more thrust. But as no one has bought the option, it has yet to be certified.

The full thrust -300 implies DL bought a higher MTOW variant. In other words, TCON or better...

Lightsaber

I was also very pleased to see the engines chosen, as well as keeping the thrust proportional as the model grew larger (whereas other aircraft that have been stretched don’t always seem to keep up in the power department). Thanks for sharing about the variable thrust depending on speed. Interesting concept!

FlyingElvii

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:34 pm

evank516 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Delta doesn't have any crew bases for MD-88s in NYC anymore, and they made a very public statement saying those planes will no longer fly in and out of NYC Airports.

Republic or Skywest will likely fill some NYC runs

Stabilator

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Wonder what will happen to the pilot classes since things are tied up, they've been training in for a while.
So we beat on against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

AntonioMartin

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:17 am

hmmnn

zippy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

evank516 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Eh? I'm booked on an ATL-EWR flight in a couple weeks, Delta is listing the equipment as MD-88 (and a domestic 763 to ATL).

UALFAson

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:33 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Also looks like the 6am LGA-BOS flight on the 7th is already filling up, at least in FC. When I first saw the tweet there were still 5 seats up front and it’s already down to 2. Y and C+ still appear wide open.

Do you/we know if that is now offically the first flight or does that just appear to be the first A220 flight in the post-shutdown revised schedule? I am booked on what was the likely inaugural 6 a.m. LGA-BOS flight--guess I will call DL tomorrow and see how much it would be to switch my ticket.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

ryanov

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:26 am

zippy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Eh? I'm booked on an ATL-EWR flight in a couple weeks, Delta is listing the equipment as MD-88 (and a domestic 763 to ATL).

It depends on your definition of an NYC airport. I don't know about Kennedy, but Delta no longer flies the 88 to LGA. They definitely fly them to EWR, which is my home airpot (and I target those fights when traveling).

There was something about space competing space in the computers for ATL approaches and LGA approaches, etc. RNAV approach data was it? It's been discussed here. Here's a link where some MD-88 pilots discuss it: http://airlinepilotguy.com/apg-263-low-can-go/ (1:17:38)

jfern022

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:03 pm

ryanov wrote:
zippy wrote:
evank516 wrote:

It depends on your definition of an NYC airport. I don't know about Kennedy, but Delta no longer flies the 88 to LGA. They definitely fly them to EWR, which is my home airpot (and I target those fights when traveling).

There was something about space competing space in the computers for ATL approaches and LGA approaches, etc. RNAV approach data was it? It's been discussed here. Here's a link where some MD-88 pilots discuss it: http://airlinepilotguy.com/apg-263-low-can-go/ (1:17:38)

I believe the M90's were also pulled from LGA due to the RNAV requirement.

Cactusjuba

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Stabilator wrote:
Wonder what will happen to the pilot classes since things are tied up, they've been training in for a while.

Keep training... it's only only a week or so delay

wjcandee

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:59 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:

So the -300 has the maximum-thrust engine for the frame, and the -100 has the engine that is 1,330 lbf less than the max available on the frame. (23,300 is the max available on both frames, if I'm reading the literature correctly).

To my relatively-uneducated eye, it doesn't appear that Delta took some huge performance penalty for the big discount. In fact, it seems like they got the max thrust on the -300, and chose the thrust for the -100 to provide similar performance.

I have to say, though, that the literature is a little confusing. Stuff from like 2013-14 says that the 24G has 23,300lbs thrust, but the latest certification information from EASA (which is in 2018), says that both the 24G and the 25G have 24,400 takeoff thrust at MSL. https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... 022018.pdf
Last edited by wjcandee on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nmk829

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:20 pm

zippy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

I'm booked on a MSP-EWR flight in August. It was originally going to be on an RJ, but today I got an email that it's now on an A220. :bouncy:

teachpdx

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:24 am

A quick call to DL and they graciously moved my entire (basic economy!) ticket for my A220 1/31 flights to 2/7.
They had no obligation to do so, but they did. And that’s what sets DL apart.

777Mech

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:52 am

teachpdx wrote:
A quick call to DL and they graciously moved my entire (basic economy!) ticket for my A220 1/31 flights to 2/7.
They had no obligation to do so, but they did. And that’s what sets DL apart.

I'm supposed to be on the first LGA-DFW flight, and it still shows an A220 seat map on the app.

teachpdx

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:04 am

777Mech wrote:
I'm supposed to be on the first LGA-DFW flight, and it still shows an A220 seat map on the app.

My DFW-LGA for 1/31 was subbed to a 319, and LGA-BOS was subbed to a 717.

I read somewhere that all schedules won’t be updated until sometime on Sunday.

evank516

Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 am

zippy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

LGA and JFK. EWR is separate because it is not a DL hub. Neither of these airports have seen MD-88s or MD-90s in about 2 years now. Crew bases are closed as well. If you see MD-88s in EWR they're most likely ATL based crew.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos