Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Antoli0794
Topic Author

Northwest MSP Asian flights in the 1990’s

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:08 am

Stumbled upon this article about The Mall of America and this rise of the 90’s and how Northwest was a big sponsor for boosting tourism in Minnesota

https://www.weninchina.com/transpac-pio ... an-flights

tb727

Re: Northwest MSP Asian flights in the 1990’s

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm

Interesting. I was there on a layover a few weeks back and went to the Mall. A lot of travelers were there with their suitcases and recall a few Asian bag tags as well as European ones as well. It was the busiest I have ever seen that place too that night, a few days after Christmas.

I remember when they started HKG from there, really wish I would have gone. I even have copies of all those timetables somewhere! Nice memories, the late 90's at NW were some great years. Much better than the start of that decade.

TWA772LR

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:07 pm

I remember going to MoA probably about 20 years ago as a kid an i remember a big NW World Plane model hanging from the ceiling. Itd make sense that Minneapolis' home town airline has a big presence at the citys largest attraction.

klakzky123

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Antoli0794 wrote:
Stumbled upon this article about The Mall of America and this rise of the 90’s and how Northwest was a big sponsor for boosting tourism in Minnesota

https://www.weninchina.com/transpac-pio ... an-flights

It doesnt exist at all anymore but Japanese tourism to MOA was a thing in the 90s. There were a few tour operators that flew tourists to MSP and shuttled tourists to one of the hotels in Bloomington by the Mall of America and those hotels had pretty regular shuttles to MOA. You could do a weekend trip to MOA and never really step outside into the frigid air.

Those days are long gone. There are tons of other mega malls in the US (and around the world). In fact, the quality of luxury shopping at Mall of America has fallen over the years and now its far more convenient to just shop in Honolulu or on the West Coast. Plus the Japanese economy started to crack in the 90s and has never recovered. And frankly, there are a lot more local options in Asia that didn't exist in the 90s. And there's the general fact that brick and mortar retail has been in free fall for close to two decades.

But those days in the 90s were something else. It was a marvel to see huge groups of Japanese tourists at the Mall. Nowadays, the MOA primarily caters to regional American and Canadian traffic but gone are the days of tour packages focused solely on bringing people to the mall. The light rail connection between the airport and the mall has allowed anyone with a long layover to hop over to the mall and see it. It's a shame that the light rail and the new attached Radisson and Marriott hotels didn't exist in the 90s. I think they could've done even more if those were in place.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos