Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Memphis Aviation - 2019

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:40 pm

RJNUT

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2019

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Makes me sad,as I had worked in that airport in early 80's and LOVED it. It always had a big city feel to it!

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:33 pm

RJNUT wrote:
Makes me sad,as I had worked in that airport in early 80's and LOVED it. It always had a big city feel to it!

We were recently lamenting the disappearance of the Wonders Series as the massive renovation of the convention center starts as well. It was petering out as the availibility of grand exihibits were running thin and the hope of firing it back up again got smacked by 2008. It is something they should again revisit once this is done as a way in raise tourism and thus traffic at MEM

https://youtu.be/U7R88p7wAIM

There is something like over 5 billion in development underway, starting and in the pipeline with a large part of it either the airport or downtown.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm

MEMPHIS, TENN. (January 30, 2019) – Memphis International Airport (MEM) continued its strong growth trends in 2018, posting significant increases in passenger and cargo traffic compared to 2017. More than 4.4 million passengers passed through MEM in 2018, an increase of more than 200,000 from 2017. 2018 marks the fourth straight year of increased passengers.

The number of passenger flights increased from 25,806 in 2017 to 26,624 in 2018, an increase of 3.2%. In addition, the number of seats available to MEM passengers increased by 3.4% from 2,689,914 to 2,781,380.

http://www.flymemphis.com/NewsDetails?newsid=5269

N292UX

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:05 pm

I have a few predictions (some bolder than others) that I think could happen at MEM in the next maybe 5ish years.

-AA starts MEM-LAX. This one isn't that bold, as LAX is the only hub at MEM not served by AA (I'm not counting JFK as heavily since they do fly to LGA, and it can debated whether JFK is truly a "hub"). I could see this happening in the next few years, maybe as early as 2020.
-DL adds MEM-IND. FedEx has wanted the return of a commercial route between MEM and IND. I would say AA would've been the better option considering they're the largest carrier at MEM, and also have a strong operation at IND. However, AA has no interest in running any p2p flights, so that won't happen. DL will get some sort of a deal that will help them run MEM-IND.
-UA adds MEM-IAD. This is probably the most likely prediction here. MEM is a big hole in UA's IAD network, and their only competition would be AA from DCA. There are other much smaller markets in which AA and UA both serve from DCA/IAD, so MEM should work unless UA screws it up. Maybe 2x daily with a either a CRJ-200/E145 and the other on an E175. I think this one will come very soon, maybe with an announcement coming this year.
-DL resumes MEM-SLC. I was kinda surprised DL dropped this route even after they de-hubbed MEM. It seems like it should be able to work if places like SLC-CLE/CMH/PIT work. I can see this one happening in 2020.
-AS enters MEM with MEM-SEA. SEA is a big hole not served from MEM. I would say DL could jump on it, but I think MEM would do more to lure new metal like AS to MEM instead. I could see this in the next few years.
-NK eventually enters MEM. Probably to FLL/MCO and maybe TPA to start. If that goes well, then I'd say they could look at LAS/RSW/ORD/LAX. BWI, DTW and IAH are possibilities, but we'd have to see. Maybe an announcement in 2020?
-AC adds another frequency on YYZ-MEM. This route has been doing great for AC so far. They've even up gauged it from CRJs to E175s.
-F9 adds a few dartboard routes from MEM. This one is another prediction I think is very likely to happen. Expect places like SAT/RSW/CLE/BUF/JAX to be possible candidates. It's just so hard to predict what routes F9 will launch since they've been all over the place in the past.
-AA adds more mainline to MEM. They just added some mainline (A319) on MEM-PHL, and there may be some more to come. I think they'll eventually add mainline back on MEM-PHX. If they start MEM-LAX, there'd be that, too. ORD is possible too, but we'll see. If AA doesn't add mainline on MEM-ORD, I think UA eventually will.
-WN stays roughly the same. I don't they'll add or drop much from MEM in the next few years. Maybe a few frequency chances, but that'll probably be it. If they were to start some new routes, I'd probably say FLL, LAS, and OAK are the three most likely candidates.
-UA most likely does NOT add MEM-SFO. I think there will be some chatter about this happening, and I think it could work, but I just don't think UA will do it. The Bay Area is definitely underserved from MEM, but I'm thinking that G4, WN if they want to grow from MEM, and AS if they enter the market, and are profitable. The Bay Area market will see better coverage from MEM in the next few years, but it most likely won't be due to UA.
-Someone adds MEM-BOS. I'm thinking DL would be the most likely candidate to add this route. If not DL, it would probably be B6, but I don't think they will be entering MEM in the near future, at least. There's more than enough PDEW to support this route, so I'd say DL does with with either an E170/5 or CRJ-900.
-If Moxy does launch as planned, the do serve MEM. I'm not sure to what level or where to, but I do believe they will be at MEM.
Now for the boldest prediction:
-BA launches LHR-MEM. By launching LHR-CHS, BA has shown they're willing to enter medium-sized US markets that have a decent tourism pull. MEM has a pretty strong tourism pull (arguably stronger than CHS), so I think MEM could quietly be one of BA's next US routes. It'd be less than daily and probably on the 787-8, but I think it's a real possibility. I honestly see it coming before places like MSP/STL/CLE/CMH. DTW will probably come before MEM (congrats DTW fanboys), but I think MEM could be on BA's radar a little more than we think. I think they do it is CHS works out for them.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:38 pm

N292UX wrote:
I have a few predictions (some bolder than others) that I think could happen at MEM in the next maybe 5ish years.

-AA starts MEM-LAX. This one isn't that bold, as LAX is the only hub at MEM not served by AA (I'm not counting JFK as heavily since they do fly to LGA, and it can debated whether JFK is truly a "hub"). I could see this happening in the next few years, maybe as early as 2020.
-DL adds MEM-IND. FedEx has wanted the return of a commercial route between MEM and IND. I would say AA would've been the better option considering they're the largest carrier at MEM, and also have a strong operation at IND. However, AA has no interest in running any p2p flights, so that won't happen. DL will get some sort of a deal that will help them run MEM-IND.
-UA adds MEM-IAD. This is probably the most likely prediction here. MEM is a big hole in UA's IAD network, and their only competition would be AA from DCA. There are other much smaller markets in which AA and UA both serve from DCA/IAD, so MEM should work unless UA screws it up. Maybe 2x daily with a either a CRJ-200/E145 and the other on an E175. I think this one will come very soon, maybe with an announcement coming this year.
-DL resumes MEM-SLC. I was kinda surprised DL dropped this route even after they de-hubbed MEM. It seems like it should be able to work if places like SLC-CLE/CMH/PIT work. I can see this one happening in 2020.
-AS enters MEM with MEM-SEA. SEA is a big hole not served from MEM. I would say DL could jump on it, but I think MEM would do more to lure new metal like AS to MEM instead. I could see this in the next few years.
-NK eventually enters MEM. Probably to FLL/MCO and maybe TPA to start. If that goes well, then I'd say they could look at LAS/RSW/ORD/LAX. BWI, DTW and IAH are possibilities, but we'd have to see. Maybe an announcement in 2020?
-AC adds another frequency on YYZ-MEM. This route has been doing great for AC so far. They've even up gauged it from CRJs to E175s.
-F9 adds a few dartboard routes from MEM. This one is another prediction I think is very likely to happen. Expect places like SAT/RSW/CLE/BUF/JAX to be possible candidates. It's just so hard to predict what routes F9 will launch since they've been all over the place in the past.
-AA adds more mainline to MEM. They just added some mainline (A319) on MEM-PHL, and there may be some more to come. I think they'll eventually add mainline back on MEM-PHX. If they start MEM-LAX, there'd be that, too. ORD is possible too, but we'll see. If AA doesn't add mainline on MEM-ORD, I think UA eventually will.
-WN stays roughly the same. I don't they'll add or drop much from MEM in the next few years. Maybe a few frequency chances, but that'll probably be it. If they were to start some new routes, I'd probably say FLL, LAS, and OAK are the three most likely candidates.
-UA most likely does NOT add MEM-SFO. I think there will be some chatter about this happening, and I think it could work, but I just don't think UA will do it. The Bay Area is definitely underserved from MEM, but I'm thinking that G4, WN if they want to grow from MEM, and AS if they enter the market, and are profitable. The Bay Area market will see better coverage from MEM in the next few years, but it most likely won't be due to UA.
-Someone adds MEM-BOS. I'm thinking DL would be the most likely candidate to add this route. If not DL, it would probably be B6, but I don't think they will be entering MEM in the near future, at least. There's more than enough PDEW to support this route, so I'd say DL does with with either an E170/5 or CRJ-900.
-If Moxy does launch as planned, the do serve MEM. I'm not sure to what level or where to, but I do believe they will be at MEM.
-BA launches LHR-MEM. By launching LHR-CHS, BA has shown they're willing to enter medium-sized US markets that have a decent tourism pull. MEM has a pretty strong tourism pull (arguably stronger than CHS), so I think MEM could quietly be one of BA's next US routes. It'd be less than daily and probably on the 787-8, but I think it's a real possibility. I honestly see it coming before places like MSP/STL/CLE/CMH. DTW will probably come before MEM (congrats DTW fanboys), but I think MEM could be on BA's radar a little more than we think. I think they do it is CHS works out for them.

That was all over the place.

MEM wants BOS more than anything, it is compounded with the recently announced HQ announcement of an Agri business for downtown Memphis.

There's this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rowth-pace

I don't think AC adds another flight, they'll just upgauge

Frontier isn't throwing as many darts lately as they did last year.

I could see United adding IAD eventually

I can see Alligiant adding MSY for a go.

Has it been established for whom the new large hanger that is planned is for?

Delta isn't adding Indy nor RDU, maybe Boston but they are hell bent on sending everyone through ATL.

No BA, maybe Aer Lingus but likely nothing.

N292UX

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:28 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
N292UX wrote:

MEM wants BOS more than anything, it is compounded with the recently announced HQ announcement of an Agri business for downtown Memphis.

There's this:

Delta isn't adding Indy nor RDU, maybe Boston but they are hell bent on sending everyone through ATL.

How many A321LRs does Aer Lingus have on order? Can those reach MEM from DUB?

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 pm

N292UX wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
N292UX wrote:

There's this:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MEM-DUB%0D ... =wls&DU=nm

Maybe, maybe not

This kinda of route is in the wheelhouse of theoritical A321 XLR and Boeing 797

N292UX

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
N292UX wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

There's this:

Maybe, maybe not

They probably could with a light restriction on the flight. Someone trying it with the 797 later on may be the most likely option.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 am

N292UX wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
N292UX wrote:

Maybe, maybe not

They probably could with a light restriction on the flight. Someone trying it with the 797 later on may be the most likely option.

Aer Lingus map during a presentation a few months ago. Red line is range of a321LR. Darker green means more Irish people.

TTailedTiger

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:52 am

I agree that IAD-MEM is a glaring hole in the network. The city wants MEM-CVG back as well. The flight from an ~80% load factor to ~25% load factor when Delta changed the timings. It seems they did it on purpose.

N292UX

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 am

I think CVG could work at the right time. As for Aer Lingus, it'd have to be something else it appears. How long are they leasing the 752s for?

pmanni1

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:57 am

N292UX wrote:

I would've thought MEM had more than 4.4 million passengers. I didn't realize how far it had fallen since DL downsized. That on top of a 3% growth rate - I can't imagine hardly any of these possible flights coming to fruition. Probably lucky to hold onto what they've got.

cvgComair

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:17 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I agree that IAD-MEM is a glaring hole in the network. The city wants MEM-CVG back as well. The flight from an ~80% load factor to ~25% load factor when Delta changed the timings. It seems they did it on purpose.

It seems DL dropped CVG-MEM (and CVG-MKE/XNA/BNA/PIT/RIC/MSN/etc) to reduce connecting passengers and increase O&D. None of these routes can work unless they time for connecting passengers. Unless DL commits to increasing connections at CVG, none of these routes are likely to come back. It was most definitely a conscious decision, though other factors such as fleet and pilot constraints probably also had an effect.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I would've thought MEM had more than 4.4 million passengers. I didn't realize how far it had fallen since DL downsized. That on top of a 3% growth rate - I can't imagine hardly any of these possible flights coming to fruition. Probably lucky to hold onto what they've got.

5% for last year actually, 3% for Jan of this year over last.

It has been said that Local traffic was suppressed greatly due to the combination of suppressed wages in the region and once some of the highest (top 5) fares in the US. The Memphis region is improving economically. It will be interesting to watch the numbers the next few years, particularly after everything is consolidated into the new B.

There is still room for improvement though, My Brother and his family of 4 drove to Nashville to fly Southwest to New York City for spring breaks as it saved over $1,000 even with a hotel in Nashville for a night and parking for a week. There is still lots of traffic bleed. I have thought and continue to think Jet Blue would do well on JFK and BOS from Memphis especially if they make the TATL jump.

flymco753

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:30 pm

I'd like to see NK get into MEM, but I think it would come later than BNA. While MEM doesn't have the same amount of low cost exposure as BNA does, MEM would be a good 2nd add for Tennessee. Flights would probably go to MCO, LAS, MYR, & BWI to start.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:30 pm

I think UA will add IAD-MEM at some point in the next 18 months. There are more A320 family planes coming on line this year, which means that some routes that are E175 now, will get up gauged. I could see them using an E175 to IAD with a Dulles arrival of 16:00 or so to connect to the trans-Atlantic bank. Then a return that leaves Dulles around 17:45, arriving MEM at 19:00, and using it as the last departure of the day to either ORD or IAH.
What's the business case for BOS? Boston is primarily finance and tech. Memphis doesn't have lots of either industry. Is there a Boston based company that has a major facility in Memphis?

jplatts

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:40 pm

N292UX wrote:

I agree that WN adding MEM-FLL and MEM-LAS are likely candidates. WN could also add MEM-MCI nonstop service once the new terminal is completed at MEM. MEM-PHX nonstop service could also be added by WN in order to better compete against AA in the PHX market and in order to improve access to the West Coast and Greater Phoenix from MEM.

N292UX wrote:

I think that UA adding MEM-SFO might happen at some point since UA has already added new nonstop routes out of SFO such as SFO-CVG, SFO-CMH, SFO-DTW, and SFO-MSN during the last 2 years and since MEM is one of the top destinations traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that isn't currently served nonstop from SFO, OAK, or SJC.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:59 pm

jplatts wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I agree that WN adding MEM-FLL and MEM-LAS are likely candidates. WN could also add MEM-MCI nonstop service once the new terminal is completed at MEM. MEM-PHX nonstop service could also be added by WN in order to better compete against AA in the PHX market and in order to improve access to the West Coast and Greater Phoenix from MEM.

N292UX wrote:

I think that UA adding MEM-SFO might happen at some point since UA has already added new nonstop routes out of SFO such as SFO-CVG, SFO-CMH, SFO-DTW, and SFO-MSN during the last 2 years and since MEM is one of the top destinations traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that isn't currently served nonstop from SFO, OAK, or SJC.

UA is now heavily gate constrained at SFO in the morning, pretty much between 8am and 2pm in SFO UA has no open gates. I don't see them adding MEM at anytime in the near future. Bay Area to MEM service will probably come about from WN serving OAK, or if NH were to start an OAK-MEM route. The way UA would look at things, Asia-Pacific bound MEM passengers can be routed efficiently over other hubs. ORD has service to NRT/ICN/PVG/PEK/HKG. If someone in MEM needs TPE, that can be routed over IAH with a connection onto BR. Both SYD and AKL are a single connection away over IAH as well. Only SIN is difficult, and what's the PDEW on MEM-SIN? 4 or 5 would be my guess.

Worldair1

Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:28 pm

Why did UA stop serving MEM from IAD? I took that route a few times in 2004/05

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:29 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I think UA will add IAD-MEM at some point in the next 18 months. There are more A320 family planes coming on line this year, which means that some routes that are E175 now, will get up gauged. I could see them using an E175 to IAD with a Dulles arrival of 16:00 or so to connect to the trans-Atlantic bank. Then a return that leaves Dulles around 17:45, arriving MEM at 19:00, and using it as the last departure of the day to either ORD or IAH.
What's the business case for BOS? Boston is primarily finance and tech. Memphis doesn't have lots of either industry. Is there a Boston based company that has a major facility in Memphis?

Nearly 100 PDEW with no direct and yes. Quite a few business connections plus this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commer ... 2298359002

https://dailymemphian.com/article/1857/ ... for-Indigo

southwest1675

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:03 pm

Doubt it will happen, but I think WN adding BNA-MEM would be neat. If the times worked, and was priced right, I bet it could get some business folks to ditch their cars. It’s main purpose would be feeding connecting traffic though. The word on the street is that Nashville will be taking some stress off MDW, and some WN ATL service will be shifted to BNA. Not sure what the plans for STL are.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Doubt it will happen, but I think WN adding BNA-MEM would be neat. If the times worked, and was priced right, I bet it could get some business folks to ditch their cars. It’s main purpose would be feeding connecting traffic though. The word on the street is that Nashville will be taking some stress off MDW, and some WN ATL service will be shifted to BNA. Not sure what the plans for STL are.

All things being equal, I'd rather have MSY or STL.

southwest1675

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:36 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

All things being equal, I'd rather have MSY or STL.

Those two would probably happen before BNA anyways honestly.

pmanni1

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:22 pm

LIT is a smaller airport and has WN to STL. Why couldn't MEM? Seems entirely possible.

Jshank83

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:21 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
LIT is a smaller airport and has WN to STL. Why couldn't MEM? Seems entirely possible.

DSM and LIT were moved from MDW to STL in an effort to move some connecting traffic from MDW to STL. So if they were to add MEM-STL it could be at the expense of MEM-MDW. Depends on how they do O&D wise to MDW I would expect.

An article came out about a year ago that had an interview with the MEM airport director that said they were about to get WN to add STL-MEM but last minute WN decided they were too close of a drive to add. But things can change so maybe they can revisit it.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:23 am

pmanni1 wrote:

Little Rock has STL but doesn't have MDW. STL is the furthest east direct WN has from LIT. BNA/LIT makes way more sense than MEM/BNA. It also has PHX and LAS but MEM doesn't. MEM got DEN and LIT hasn't yet. I believe that WN has intentionally done this so far. When WN first added DAL to MEM, they cut back at LIT. They have continued to tweek the frequencies to DAL from both. I feel that the reason MEM hasn't had LAS added by WN is due to the LIT flight.

What is interesting is Arkansas' push to get US 67 upgraded and become an interstate and an extension of I-57. That is more likely to happen before Arkansas can get I-49 between Ft Smith and Texarkana done. If WN gets froggy and adds XNA, DAL, DEN, STL and BNA is perfect for it.

jplatts

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:07 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
There is still room for improvement though, My Brother and his family of 4 drove to Nashville to fly Southwest to New York City for spring breaks as it saved over $1,000 even with a hotel in Nashville for a night and parking for a week. There is still lots of traffic bleed. I have thought and continue to think Jet Blue would do well on JFK and BOS from Memphis especially if they make the TATL jump.

WN already offers connections to both LGA and EWR from MEM through MDW, and the nonstop from MEM to MDW is only approximately 1 hour 40 minutes whereas BNA is more than a 3-hour drive from Greater Memphis. There are likely many travelers in the Greater Memphis market who would prefer connecting to LGA or EWR through MDW on WN instead of driving to BNA.

If I were traveling to NYC from Memphis on WN, I would probably connect through MDW on WN instead of driving to BNA. While I agree that there is some leakage to BNA from MEM, there are many travelers in Memphis who would choose connecting options through BWI, MDW, DAL, DEN, or MCO over driving to BNA with BNA being more than a 3-hour drive from Greater Memphis.

Are the WN BNA-LGA nonstop flights cheaper than connecting to LGA from MEM through MDW on WN?

TTailedTiger

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:15 am

The worst thing WN did to Memphis was dropping ATL. Delta royally screws anyone needing to fly to ATL. At least when Air Tran was around the fares weren't as bad.

southwest1675

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:17 am

I feel like MEM is probably the most neglected airport in the US. I know they’ll be getting a fresh start with a new terminal, but I think the market really has potential. Hard to believe there’s not even service to BOS or IAD.

Midwestindy

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:08 am

N292UX wrote:

That route has Contour or Via Air written on it

N292UX wrote:

None of those would be shocking, especially MEM-IAD/BOS, the fact that MEM-IAD isn't served now is quite amazing.

N292UX wrote:

I don't see it happening

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

WN already offers connections to both LGA and EWR from MEM through MDW, and the nonstop from MEM to MDW is only approximately 1 hour 40 minutes whereas BNA is more than a 3-hour drive from Greater Memphis. There are likely many travelers in the Greater Memphis market who would prefer connecting to LGA or EWR through MDW on WN instead of driving to BNA.

If I were traveling to NYC from Memphis on WN, I would probably connect through MDW on WN instead of driving to BNA. While I agree that there is some leakage to BNA from MEM, there are many travelers in Memphis who would choose connecting options through BWI, MDW, DAL, DEN, or MCO over driving to BNA with BNA being more than a 3-hour drive from Greater Memphis.

Are the WN BNA-LGA nonstop flights cheaper than connecting to LGA from MEM through MDW on WN?

You don't connect with a wife and two teenage girls on Spring Break if you fon't have to. Again, even after a one night stay at the Opryland Hotel with it's new indoor waterpark and parking for a week, it was over $1,000 bucks cheaper to drive and fly direct on WN from BNA. Look, i get it. One personson or even a couple, you connect. Heck, the Sat flight from LGA to MEM on WN is often a no plane change flight. But... with luggage in tow for a crew like that he kept 1K of his money.

I agree on MEM/ATL but WN seems 0 percent interested in growing ATL.

MEM has amazing potential considering it's catchment area and cultivating it. ( The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.[3] This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.) It was price suppressed for decades. The best thing that happened to BNA was losing the AA hub. It allowed WN in to flourish by offering great fares.

Airlinea like Contour and Via, if they were dependable, would be perfect for markets like PIT, RDU, IND, MSY, CVG, STL and dare I say TYS.

The MEM/TYS drive isn't getting easier with Nashville in the middle, there is the UT connection plus the tourism angle. I wouldn't be shocked to see Allegiant add it. They found great success on the Destin flight. Destin was considered a driving destination this is in that same vein along with MSY. There is the spinning caboose(Amtrack) between MEM/MSY.

TYSflyer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

You don't connect with a wife and two teenage girls on Spring Break if you fon't have to. Again, even after a one night stay at the Opryland Hotel with it's new indoor waterpark and parking for a week, it was over $1,000 bucks cheaper to drive and fly direct on WN from BNA. Look, i get it. One personson or even a couple, you connect. Heck, the Sat flight from LGA to MEM on WN is often a no plane change flight. But... with luggage in tow for a crew like that he kept 1K of his money.

MEM has amazing potential considering it's catchment area and cultivating it. ( The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.[3] This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.) It was price suppressed for decades. The best thing that happened to BNA was losing the AA hub. It allowed WN in to flourish by offering great fares.

Airlinea like Contour and Via, if they were dependable, would be perfect for markets like PIT, RDU, IND, MSY, CVG, STL and dare I say TYS.

The MEM/TYS drive isn't getting easier with Nashville in the middle, there is the UT connection plus the tourism angle. I wouldn't be shocked to see Allegiant add it. They found great success on the Destin flight. Destin was considered a driving destination this is in that same vein along with MSY. There is the spinning caboose(Amtrack) between MEM/MSY.

I certainly would agree with you about MEM-TYS. Back when delta flew the route there was some O&D traffic on the route and that was with absurd fares. As you know, the UT health sciences center is in Memphis which creates a decent amount of traffic between the 2 cities, but currently the majority of that is driving. In my opinion (obviously somewhat biased), I think linking MEM-TYS makes the most sense of any pair within the state. With G4 randomly adding TYS-PIT, they certainly might be an option to pick it up.

MIflyer12

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:55 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:

MEM-BOS struggled even in the days of the 200-flight MEM hub. Some cities just don't have the 'connection' - no pun intended. Add overflying a lot of hubs and a route just doesn't work. Both UA and DL are constrained on 2-class RJs. You want 1,139 sm in an E-145? Please, no.

jplatts

Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:47 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:

There were actually a few nonstop routes that were added by WN out of ATL subsequent to the WN-FL merger such as ATL-CLE, ATL-DAL, ATL-GSP, ATL-BNA, ATL-OAK, and ATL-IAD. ATL-AUS nonstop service was also added by WN subsequent to the acquisition of FL by WN but prior to the discontinuation of the AirTran brand and the full integration of AirTran into Southwest.

WN currently only serves ATL nonstop from GSP, and ATL is also currently the only destination that has daily nonstop service out of RIC on WN.

While WN had cut back on some nonstop routes out of ATL, WN had recently increased ATL-AUS nonstop service to 3 daily nonstops from 2 daily nonstops, and WN had recently increased ATL-MCI nonstop service to 4 daily nonstops from 3 daily nonstops.

I am unsure if WN will ever add MEM-ATL nonstop service, but MEM-ATL nonstop service could be added by WN to improve competition on the MEM-ATL route and to provide easier connections to the East Coast from MEM.

Bluegrass60

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:33 pm

How about MEM-SDF-BOS on either AA, DL, WN or B6? I know most scoff at direct service (aka one stop)...but if fuel stays low...this back to the future strategy/routing could work in many markets

Airventure737

Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:57 pm

AA has replaced one of the two daily CRJ-900 flights to PHX with an A319 and will place one of the three daily regional flights to PHL with an A319 in May. Nice to see the larger equipment coming in.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:44 am

Airventure737 wrote:
AA has replaced one of the two daily CRJ-900 flights to PHX with an A319 and will place one of the three daily regional flights to PHL with an A319 in May. Nice to see the larger equipment coming in.

I'd rather see those 319s coming and going from LAX and JFK and all hubs be connected to MEM.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 pm

SOUTHERN airways Express adds El Dorado Ark and more Nashville flights

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... s_headline

plinth857

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Flight lands at Memphis 11:59 P.M... then I catch a flight the next morning at 5:00 A.M. Is MEM an airport that would allow me to stay in the secure area, or would it be required to leave and then re-enter security when it opens? With that small amount of time, I'm trying to avoid going to a hotel, since I'd only be there for a couple hours anyway.

N292UX

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Airventure737 wrote:

I'd rather see those 319s coming and going from LAX and JFK and all hubs be connected to MEM.

I have doubts that AA will be launching JFK-MEM anytime soon. LAX-MEM? I can definitely see that happening soon.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm

plinth857 wrote:
Flight lands at Memphis 11:59 P.M... then I catch a flight the next morning at 5:00 A.M. Is MEM an airport that would allow me to stay in the secure area, or would it be required to leave and then re-enter security when it opens? With that small amount of time, I'm trying to avoid going to a hotel, since I'd only be there for a couple hours anyway.

I would contact the airport via Twitter DM or Facebook

TTailedTiger

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 am

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

There were actually a few nonstop routes that were added by WN out of ATL subsequent to the WN-FL merger such as ATL-CLE, ATL-DAL, ATL-GSP, ATL-BNA, ATL-OAK, and ATL-IAD. ATL-AUS nonstop service was also added by WN subsequent to the acquisition of FL by WN but prior to the discontinuation of the AirTran brand and the full integration of AirTran into Southwest.

WN currently only serves ATL nonstop from GSP, and ATL is also currently the only destination that has daily nonstop service out of RIC on WN.

While WN had cut back on some nonstop routes out of ATL, WN had recently increased ATL-AUS nonstop service to 3 daily nonstops from 2 daily nonstops, and WN had recently increased ATL-MCI nonstop service to 4 daily nonstops from 3 daily nonstops.

I am unsure if WN will ever add MEM-ATL nonstop service, but MEM-ATL nonstop service could be added by WN to improve competition on the MEM-ATL route and to provide easier connections to the East Coast from MEM.

Yeah WN abandoning ATL-MEM was a huge disservice. AirTran was the only airline giving Delta any competition on the route. WN handed it to DL on a silver platter and the fares are higher than ever.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm

Airventure737

Sat May 04, 2019 2:20 am

What happened tp the Air Canada E175 that was supposed to begin May 1? The Toronto route is still operated by the crj200.

Fargo

Sat May 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
What happened tp the Air Canada E175 that was supposed to begin May 1? The Toronto route is still operated by the crj200.

I also noticed the Nashville flights that were suppose to be upgauged also have reverted back to the CRJ. What happened?

Jshank83

Sat May 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Fargo wrote:
Airventure737 wrote:

I also noticed the Nashville flights that were suppose to be upgauged also have reverted back to the CRJ. What happened?

MAX issues? STL was suppose to go to 4x daily in May or June and it keeps getting pushed back. Maybe they have to keep planes where they are until the MAXs come back online.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 pm

Things have been busy at MEM, posting largest days since before the dehubbing. I am sure this coincided with the Music fest wrapping up.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... s_headline

TTailedTiger

Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 pm

I wonder if UA will ever try SFO-MEM. Can an E175 make the trip?

jplatts

Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I wonder if UA will ever try SFO-MEM. Can an E175 make the trip?

UA does operate regional jets on its SFO-STL and SFO-MSN nonstop routes, but STL and MSN are slightly closer to SFO than MEM is. UA would likely need to operate mainline on the SFO-MEM nonstop route as MEM is probably too far east from SFO to be able to be served nonstop on regional jets.

I agree that UA adding SFO-MEM nonstop service might happen as MEM is one of the top domestic destinations traveled to from the San Francisco Bay Area that isn't currently served nonstop from any of the San Francisco Bay Area airports.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos