Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiramakora
Topic Author

Brilliant Aeromexico ad has gone viral!

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 am

Pure genius from Aeromexico. Kudos. Their new fresh management team really is turning the brand around.

https://vimeo.com/279350887

Some reactions are great.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aeromex ... ial-2019-1
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

Rajahdhani

Re: Brilliant Aeromexico ad has gone viral!

Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 am

Brava! This was so worth it. Thank you! !Viva Mexico!

FlyHappy

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:33 am

wow, I'm blown away by this.
So totally.... un-corporate?
Having said that, Mexico is lousy with US tourists, so putting more butts in AeroMexico seats ain't that hard - they just gotta serve more US cities !

Armodeen

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:38 am

That’s great. Money off soon changed some opinions :lol:

abrelosojos

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 am

This is really well done. Amazing to see Aeroméxico come up with some of the boldest marketing campaigns in the past year or so. As many in the forum know, I think they really have a good senior team in place, and it shows.

Saludos,
Alex

readytotaxi

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:56 am

Indeed the slowly riising crime rate was rumoured to be one of the reasons why Virgin Atlantic is pulling out this year.

sadiqutp

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:02 am

What is Mexican DNA anyway? The typical composition of Latin America is 40-60% Native American and rest is European, mainly Iberian.

I think the marketing campaign made it so that it goes viral rather than making sure it's scientific.

LupineChemist

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 am

sadiqutp wrote:
What is Mexican DNA anyway? The typical composition of Latin America is 40-60% Native American and rest is European, mainly Iberian.

I think the marketing campaign made it so that it goes viral rather than making sure it's scientific.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking and while many people in Mexico are mestizo, Mexico is a very diverse country and Mexican is a nationality more than any sort of ethnicity and similar to being American isn't a DNA profile either.

Take a look at Alejandro Iñárritu, Guillermo del Toro, Louis CK, etc... and they certainly don't look like what most people imagine as "Mexican".

Anyone who's flown from MEX to LAX or MIA has certainly seen the sizable Mexican Jewish community as well.

trav777

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 pm

kiramakora wrote:
Pure genius from Aeromexico. Kudos. Their new fresh management team really is turning the brand around.

https://vimeo.com/279350887

Some reactions are great.

https://www.businessinsider.com/aeromex ... ial-2019-1
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

what is "mexican" DNA? Is this indio or is it european sourcing from spain or other historical immigration locations?

aerolimani

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm

To be fair… "Do you Like burritos?" is not a great question. While they can be found in Mexico, many Mexicans will tell you that burritos are not Mexican. Kind of like Vicente Fox and taco bowls. Tex-Mex is its own variety of food, related, but separate from Mexican.

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Political comments belong in Non Av. Keep the thread on topic or it will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil

Antarius

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Dunno why my post got deleted, but...

Its a funny ad. AM has released some very clever ones in the last year or so.

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Antarius wrote:

Your post quoted a post(s) that were removed for a rules violation. In the future, we would prefer you to contact us at moderators@airliners.net to ask about a deletion rather than posting it in the thread.

drgmobile

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd ever use the word "brilliant" to describe an ad campaign based on making fun of people. This campaign takes group of what appears to be poorer, undereducated Americans in Texas (Wharton, TX has a population of 8,773 people and a median household income of $32,243) who were NEVER going to be Aeromexico's target market, and makes them look stupid and intolerant in a way designed to appeal to Americans who ARE Aeromexico's target market.

JoeCanuck

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 pm

drgmobile wrote:
Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd ever use the word "brilliant" to describe an ad campaign based on making fun of people. This campaign takes group of what appears to be poorer, undereducated Americans in Texas (Wharton, TX has a population of 8,773 people and a median household income of $32,243) who were NEVER going to be Aeromexico's target market, and makes them look stupid and intolerant in a way designed to appeal to Americans who ARE Aeromexico's target market.

They are just taking a page out of the president's playbook...exaggerating cliches for effect. Absolute truth isn't often used in marketing.

I think it's a brilliant marketing campaign.

RWA380

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Antarius wrote:

AM hit it out of the park with this promotion, I will be surprised if not only Aeromexico gets an award for the ad, but also the genius advertising firm that brought this incredibly woke form of advertising to the world. Advertising with a social conscience.

I’m too white to be Hispanic and a redhead, but I am bummed now, I’d love a week in Cabo or Cozumel & get an airfare discount, plus I just did my dna, nothing even close to dark skin, all my ancestors may have been cave dwelling, translucent people with weak eyes & a refined sense of smell & hearing.

Airliners.net censors everyone, while some enjoy more latitude than others, there are a edicts that we, as participants are expected to go by. While the policing is somewhat inconsistent & rules vary upon your unofficial standing on this board, the different mods & their mood at any given time.

I sure miss Hercules. AKA SA7700, IIRC. That man had the patience of Job & the Wisdom of Solomon, plus he was an awesome example of how one conducts themselves when interacting on a faceless forum, a very nice man & a good A.net friend.

OA940

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:21 pm

These AM ads keep getting better and better

Pudelhund

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 pm

An ad making fun of low status people who will never fly Aeroméxico to fluff the egos of worldly coastal jet setters... not what I would call brilliant. It’s just petty. If you think the ad is brilliant, it’s for you.

ODwyerPW

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:27 pm

I enjoyed that Ad very much!

drgmobile

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
An ad making fun of low status people who will never fly Aeroméxico to fluff the egos of worldly coastal jet setters... not what I would call brilliant. It’s just petty. If you think the ad is brilliant, it’s for you.

This was the point I was trying to make, although I was trying to do it without being insulting to any group.

Antarius

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:57 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

Misconceptions about Mexico are abound across social and economic groups. Sure, the selected one makes for good filming, but it isnt limited to them.

Its astonishing how many people looked at me like I'm crazy when I said I was going to Mexico City on a whim. And this was an educated, successful diaspora. People believe what they see and what they see is that movie Juarez extends across the entire country.
Last edited by Antarius on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GDB

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 pm

The spirit of Don Draper is alive and working on a contract for Aeromexico.
As to the gripes, get a sense of humour and maybe some perspective.

SCQ83

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 pm

drgmobile wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

This was the point I was trying to make, although I was trying to do it without being insulting to any group.

Yet they have a point; an uncomfortable truth for those American jet setters and Mexican marketing executives. Mexico is a way more dangerous and less civilised country than the US in almost every metric. So ironically and objectively they have many good reasons about not wanting to go to Mexico.

michman

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:24 pm

drgmobile wrote:

Reminds me of the Der Spiegel piece on Fergus Falls. I'm sure lots of folks found that to be "brilliant" as well.

Pudelhund

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Antarius wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Misconceptions about Mexico are abound across social and economic groups. Sure, the selected one makes for good filming, but it isnt limited to them.

Its astonishing how many people looked at me like I'm crazy when I said I was going to Mexico City on a whim. And this was an educated, successful diaspora. People believe what they see and what they see is that movie Juarez extends across the entire country.

I go to Mexico often for work. I am even flying on Aeroméxico on the 28th from MEX-JFK on their 788 in J. I tend to believe that there is a charming, welcoming part to most countries on this planet, particularly when locals view foreigners with cash. But in real terms, Mexico is barely a real country at this point with how much control of civic life is run by organized crime in much of the country and how corrupt the government is. Even in tourist areas these days, it can be dangerous. Is the whole country more dangerous than Camden, NJ? Probably not, I don’t know for sure exactly, but the point is that you would have some reservations about tourism to Camden as well and I don’t think Americans are being stupid for thinking perhaps there are better alternatives for catching sun than Mexico at the moment.

mattyfitzg

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Almost as good as Thomas Cook's advert poking fun at TUI! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oo4pgxD-EE

maverick4002

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Some of these comments....

Antarius

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
drgmobile wrote:
Pudelhund wrote:

Yet they have a point; an uncomfortable truth for those American jet setters and Mexican marketing executives. Mexico is a way more dangerous and less civilised country than the US in almost every metric. So ironically and objectively they have many good reasons about not wanting to go to Mexico.

Then dont go. But please stop acting like anyone who does is crazy for doing so. Because your reasons arent objective at al; if economy and "civilised" was your metric, then you wouldnt go anywhere other than Canada?

The more people that go to Mexico, the more they learn that it isnt the wild west like you portray it to be. And AM is doing a great job with exactly just that.

Antarius

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
Probably not, I don’t know for sure exactly, but the point is that you would have some reservations about tourism to Camden as well and I don’t think Americans are being stupid for thinking perhaps there are better alternatives for catching sun than Mexico at the moment.

Tourism was up inMexico, despite very minor growth from the US side. So IMO, it isnt as bad as the litany of state department warnings make it out to be. There are parts of Mexico that arent safe and as with any travel (anywhere), common sense and discretion are needed.

Regardless, back to the ad, AM needs to do something to counter the negative rhetoric as it is hurting US based business. So to that note, they went with something aggressive and memorable - cant fault them for doing so.

ilovepabst

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:29 pm

drgmobile wrote:

Unless we've been duped and these are actors I would say these people did a good job on their own of making themselves look stupid and intolerant .

FlyHappy

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
I go to Mexico often for work. I am even flying on Aeroméxico on the 28th from MEX-JFK on their 788 in J. I tend to believe that there is a charming, welcoming part to most countries on this planet, particularly when locals view foreigners with cash. But in real terms, Mexico is barely a real country at this point with how much control of civic life is run by organized crime in much of the country and how corrupt the government is. Even in tourist areas these days, it can be dangerous. Is the whole country more dangerous than Camden, NJ? Probably not, I don’t know for sure exactly, but the point is that you would have some reservations about tourism to Camden as well and I don’t think Americans are being stupid for thinking perhaps there are better alternatives for catching sun than Mexico at the moment.

I go to Mexico often as well, and have a diametrically opposed view of the situation there.
To say that "Mexico is barely a real country" is mind boggling - something is good enough there to bring you for business, no?
"Even in tourist areas these days, it can be dangerous" .... if you say so; I don't see it, nor do literally millions of Canadians, Argentines, Europeans and shockingly - Americans.

drgmobile

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

ilovepabst wrote:
drgmobile wrote:

Unless we've been duped and these are actors I would say these people did a good job on their own of making themselves look stupid and intolerant .

You blame the people of Wharton, Texas for AeroMexico's ad agency showing up with a camera? Are you under the impression the community was randomly chosen and these were the only people filmed? Or can you see that perhaps the ad agency gave some thought to where they went and how they chose who to present in the ad?

I have no skin in this game. I don't even live in the U.S. and the people of Wharton, TX seem quite foreign to me. If anything, I *am* AeroMexico's target market. But I know exploitation when I see it, and I find it tacky, unnecessary and decidedly "not brilliant."

Venatt

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:28 pm

aerolimani wrote:
To be fair… "Do you Like burritos?" is not a great question. While they can be found in Mexico, many Mexicans will tell you that burritos are not Mexican. Kind of like Vicente Fox and taco bowls. Tex-Mex is its own variety of food, related, but separate from Mexican.

Allow me to tell you that you are very mistaken, Burritos are a 100% Mexican, in fact they were invented by a men in the Bellavista neighborhood in Ciudad Juarez in the early 20th Century around the time of the revolution.

Venatt

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:37 pm

The Add is FANTASTIC, Great and Awesome Marketing strategy by Aeromexico.

Aptivaboy

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Just curious, what do they mean by someone's DNA being Mexican? Are they sampling Native American DNA? Or, Iberian European/Spanish DNA? I'm confused about what they're actually looking at.

Also, I think that Aeromexico needs to realize that the reason so many of my fellow Americans do not want to travel to Mexico is due to the crime. Even some of the nicer resort areas are seeing violent crime make serious inroads. Many of my friends here in SoCal used to travel to Mexico a lot, and I recall visiting Mazatlan and Tijuana regularly in my youth, but no longer. My local school district once allowed school trips across the border to "safe" tourist destinations for Spanish language classes and even Marine Biology classes to places like the Sea of Cortez, but after some near incidents a few years ago they halted the practice. It isn't about most Americans hating Mexicans or Mexico - its about personal safety. To some, that may sound like a stereotype. To those of us who have seen it or have friends and students who have, its sadly fast becoming more the norm.

Venatt

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I went last year to San Miguel de Allende and other towns near by including the city of Guanajuato and Dolores Hidalgo, and there were no incidents, flew by TAR from CDJ to QRO then bus to San Miguel which is half an hour drive. Awesome trip, had a wonderful time with friends that live in SMA, I just don't recommend TAR, but that is a different story.

aerolimani

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Venatt wrote:
aerolimani wrote:

Allow me to tell you that you are very mistaken, Burritos are a 100% Mexican, in fact they were invented by a men in the Bellavista neighborhood in Ciudad Juarez in the early 20th Century around the time of the revolution.

The origin of the burrito is unknown and any stories about it are unproven. There are numerous theories I have heard as to its creation.

You might notice that I said "many Mexicans will tell you that burritos are not Mexican." I did not say all Mexicans. In fact, because the origins are murky, I chose my words carefully. Granted, I tend to hang out mostly in central Mexico, but I've had more than my fair share of Mexicans voluntarily insist that burritos are not Mexican, like they need to educate me. One memorable server (in the Yucatan), when showing the menu, went so far as to say ""…and these are our Mexican specialities – well, except for the burritos, of course. Those are for the tourists." So, while my evidence is anecdotal, I stand by it, that many Mexicans deny burritos as a Mexican food.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Clearly scientist didn't make this. People who wanted those results did. I'm sure they tested alot of people who were zero, but they didn't make the cut lol. Ad did it's job, got people talking right or wrong it's why they did it.

aerolimani

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Clearly scientist didn't make this. People who wanted those results did. I'm sure they tested alot of people who were zero, but they didn't make the cut lol. Ad did it's job, got people talking right or wrong it's why they did it.

Even then, these sorts of DNA analysis (23andMe, Ancestry, etc) are somewhat a mix of science and art. The process may be scientific, but the interpreting the results is not.

A recent article: Twins get some 'mystifying' results when they put 5 DNA ancestry kits to the test

Beardown91737

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Wharton, TX has a population of under 10,000.
2010 Census
Hispanic: 39.4%
White: 31.9%
Black: 26.4%

Source: http://www.city-data.com/city/Wharton-Texas.html

Noise

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm

What the heck is Mexican DNA anyway?

Much like the United States, Mexico is a multiethnic and multiracial country.

aviationaware

Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm

Imagine that ad the other way around and everyone would scream racist. This is just hypocritical to the bone.

CarlosSi

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 pm

In that case let me go for free.

Or unless, there’s other decendancies I have down the line, but very little.

B1168

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Well. That is a fun ad. Hopefully that can be done by every single airline to give people of its operating country discounts. Think about it... complimentary flights (or nearly) to a home country for every immigrant. Isn’t that amazing?

salttee

Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Noise wrote:
Much like the United States, Mexico is a multiethnic and multiracial country.

Not much like the US. In Mexico, there are a very few people with pure Spanish blood, about 21.5% native peoples and 98% of the rest are mixed Spanish / native blood: the children of the conquistadors. The remaining 2% or so is a hodge poge of German, French and miscellaneous.

Beardown91737

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 am

B1168 wrote:
Well. That is a fun ad. Hopefully that can be done by every single airline to give people of its operating country discounts. Think about it... complimentary flights (or nearly) to a home country for every immigrant. Isn’t that amazing?

i was wondering how many people applauding AM would approve of other airlines running the same promotion. For example, Alitalia, KLM, LOT, El Al, Air India, Air France, or Aeroflot. Also, lets step on the third rail and talk about how many of those people seeing Nazis under every bed in the red states would like Lufthansa to run the DNA promotion. Would it be as brilliant as AM? Like to hear your answers.

Also, just for fun, how about Air Canada? Would flights to Quebec require different DNA than YVR or YYZ

alfa164

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:02 am

drgmobile wrote:

At least AeroMexico didn't stoop to calling anyone "rapists, drug dealers, and murders". If you think they are stereotyping, they are amateurs compared to how a politician will denigrate a whole nation of people just to appeal to someone's basest instincts.

RWA380 wrote:
AM hit it out of the park with this promotion, I will be surprised if not only Aeromexico gets an award for the ad, but also the genius advertising firm that brought this incredibly woke form of advertising to the world. Advertising with a social conscience.

:checkmark:

Beardown91737 wrote:
Also, just for fun, how about Air Canada? Would flights to Quebec require different DNA than YVR or YYZ

Actually, I think an AC campaign offering discounts to Montreal for any Canadians with French blood, and discounts to Toronto for anyone with a UK background, would be fantastic. And while AC is much to staid and unimaginative to do that, I can see WestJet trying it.

B1168

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:41 am

Beardown91737 wrote:
B1168 wrote:

i was wondering how many people applauding AM would approve of other airlines running the same promotion. For example, Alitalia, KLM, LOT, El Al, Air India, Air France, or Aeroflot. Also, lets step on the third rail and talk about how many of those people seeing Nazis under every bed in the red states would like Lufthansa to run the DNA promotion. Would it be as brilliant as AM? Like to hear your answers.

Not Lufthansa, at least. Not anywhere in United States either, for laws ban discrimination against a specific group (non Americans here) of people.
You forget Montréal and the rest of Quebec. But since Ottawa is spilt between English-speaking and French-speaking zones, it is particularly interesting. Maybe just take where the airport is.
Will people be offered discount for flights to URC for uygyurs, while most of Eastern China offer discount to all 56 ethnicities of Chinese? That is a decently funny topic to think about.

Airstud

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:27 am

RWA380 wrote:
I sure miss Hercules. AKA SA7700, IIRC. That man had the patience of Job & the Wisdom of Solomon, plus he was an awesome example of how one conducts themselves when interacting on a faceless forum, a very nice man & a good A.net friend.

This; a thousand times this.

Beardown91737

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:31 am

B1168 wrote:
Beardown91737 wrote:
B1168 wrote:

Not Lufthansa, at least. Not anywhere in United States either, for laws ban discrimination against a specific group (non Americans here) of people.
You forget Montréal and the rest of Quebec. But since Ottawa is spilt between English-speaking and French-speaking zones, it is particularly interesting. Maybe just take where the airport is.
Will people be offered discount for flights to URC for uygyurs, while most of Eastern China offer discount to all 56 ethnicities of Chinese? That is a decently funny topic to think about.

It is really disturbing to see all of the support for charging different amounts to persons for the same goods or service depending on their DNA. How can AM be exempt from anti-discrimination laws?