Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

whatusaid

Re: Fresno Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 am

FA9295 wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
At that point he starts talking about flights and mentions that we will be getting the addition of FAT to BJX flights in his words "sometime here soon".

I wonder what he considers "soon".

Sounds like the perfect kind of route for Volaris.

Y4 could alternate SMF-BJX with FAT-BJX. Wonder if we will be looking at having four Y4 flights on peak days over the holidays? I am flying them in a couple weeks. Decent airline except that at GDL Y4 has too many 9p departures to the US and not gate space. Gate assignments change repeatedly. FAT flights are almost always full.

flyfresno

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
Fresno City Director of Communications and Public Affairs Mark Standriff was interviewed today about the airport expansion project.
http://kmph.com/great-day/know-the-no/know-the-no-21319-airport-expansion-plan

The most interesting comment was at about the 1:10 mark on the video.

At that point he starts talking about flights and mentions that we will be getting the addition of FAT to BJX flights in his words "sometime here soon".

Interesting tidbit he might or might not have permission from the airport and Volaris to “leak.” I’d also be interested to see whether Y4 is looking at any beach destinations, particularly SJD. I’m guessing a Sa/Su or Fr/Su pair with connections through GDL the rest of the week would work...

whatusaid

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:49 am

flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:
Fresno City Director of Communications and Public Affairs Mark Standriff was interviewed today about the airport expansion project.

Interesting tidbit he might or might not have permission from the airport and Volaris to “leak.” I’d also be interested to see whether Y4 is looking at any beach destinations, particularly SJD. I’m guessing a Sa/Su or Fr/Su pair with connections through GDL the rest of the week would work...

Yep, soounds as if Mark went a little to far, but he didn't mention the airline. Aeromexico could always be an option, but Y4 is already OAK and SMF to BJX. Seems to be the next move for FAT, although I was hoping for a 3rd to GDL during daylight. SJD seems outside the Y4 business model, but a weekend schedule would certainly be welcome.

flyfresno

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:50 am

whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Yep, soounds as if Mark went a little to far, but he didn't mention the airline. Aeromexico could always be an option, but Y4 is already OAK and SMF to BJX. Seems to be the next move for FAT, although I was hoping for a 3rd to GDL during daylight. SJD seems outside the Y4 business model, but a weekend schedule would certainly be welcome.

My money would also be on Y4 for BJX. With regards to beach cities, I was thinking that Y4 had a few int’l routes, but I guess not. On second thought, AS actually looks like a better fit for SJD, although most of their Mexico routes are on mainline.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:14 am

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:55 am

Several actions involving the parking garage will occur this week.

Wednesday the California State Infrastructure Bank (iBank) board will vote to approve a $35 million loan to build the garage. The staff documents related to the loan are at this link.
http://www.ibank.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/5a.-Staff-Report-City-of-Fresno-Airport.pdf
One interesting fact in the documents - "Recent annual parking revenue transactions equal about 50 percent of enplaning passengers -the industry average is 36 percent, according to the Parking Expansion and Forecast Report (Report) prepared by Kimley Horn and Associates in August 2018."

Thursday the Fresno City Council will vote to increase parking fees to cover the debt service.
Summary of parking fee changes:
  • Short-term parking - Rates will switch from per 20 minutes to per 1 hour. The rates for each hour up to 4 hours are the same as the current full hour rates, just no break for a fraction of an hour
  • Long-term parking - 3 different daily rates depending upon the location. Current surface parking areas will increase to $12/day. The new surface parking being built near the airport entrance will be an economy lot at $8/day. Once the new garage opens, long-term parking in it will be $15/day
  • New airline crew RV fee - There will be a new fee of $75 per month for airline crew members who park an RV at the airport
  • TNC companies (Uber, Lyft, etc) will pay a $3 drop off and a $3 pick up fee. The airport says TNC fees at other airport range from $2 to $5
  • Hotel Shuttles, Limousine, and Taxi Cabs will now need a permit. The annual permit fee will range between $250 to $1000 depending upon the number of vehicles that the operator obtains airport permits.
http://fresno.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=392&ID=3864399&GUID=14025BEC-957F-4B32-812A-B513A540A97E&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)
http://fresno.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=7043442&GUID=9EA7DB87-3555-4313-9294-D7CEE223F8AB
http://fresno.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=7043445&GUID=D6DEA906-D34E-499D-9047-B106570C6429

mtnwest1979

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Fantastic to just increase/add arbitrary fees lol. May as well add a $1 to drive to front of terminal fee for the 'regular' folks, too. That'd bring in some cash. Seems lke as good as cash-grab as any, I guess.

whatusaid

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:49 am

In tonight’s schedule load, UA shows that FAT-ORD loses its seasonal status. 319 red-eye is on the schedule tfn.

Also noted Frontier’s 1:14 pm planned departure is now staying in the evening, but with an 8:00pm departures on a 321. With a DEN arrival close to 11:30, would appear to feed their red eyes or for the bargain hunters, a six hour connect to their 6am bank East. F9’s red-eye bank isn’t that extensive is it?

Still no sign of BJX - anyone know when Y4 updates?

I arrived this week during the GDL/MLM rush and have never seen the airport so busy. I suppose BJX will run on the nights MLM doesn’t. Not certain they can handle a 4th México departure between 11 and 1a. I’d say 2:30a, but that’s the usual slot for Y4’s seasonal 2nd GDL. Airport clearly has a problem and the new concourse can’t happen fast enough.

flyfresno

Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Also, DL will go to all CRJ-900s to SLC on Aug 12. No extra frequencies, but 59 more seats per day from today, with 71 more premium seats from today with charging ports (and a small drop in regular coach), and wifi now available on all flights. One of the CRJ-200s is going to a 700 until then too. Hope this sticks!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:13 pm

whatusaid wrote:
In tonight’s schedule load, UA shows that FAT-ORD loses its seasonal status. 319 red-eye is on the schedule tfn.

I currently do not see it bookable after December 4. Definitely extended but will it continue over the holidays or just a longer seasonal run? We will have to see if they extend it thru the holidays.

whatusaid wrote:
Still no sign of BJX - anyone know when Y4 updates?

I have been watching the DOT filings and still have not seen a filing for FAT-BJX.

flyfresno

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
whatusaid wrote:

I currently do not see it bookable after December 4. Definitely extended but will it continue over the holidays or just a longer seasonal run? We will have to see if they extend it thru the holidays.

This might be semantics, but is it really considered seasonal anymore if they extend it into the beginning of January and then then resume it in April again?

WN732

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am

Heads up Fresno Spotters - AA's A321NEO will be making a stop on Saturday 3/9 at about 9 AM and leaving at 10.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n400an

whatusaid

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:01 am

Y4 is adding a second GDL starting in June per their online reservation system. 2:10a on M,T,W. So, three Y4 departures on Monday’s - 11 to MLM, 1 and 2a to GDL. So much for a daytime flight option.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Per the OAG thread for 3/10/19:
Y4 BJX-FAT NOV 0>0.3[0] DEC 0>0.3[0]

whatusaid

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:50 pm

UA has taken the Gojet midday DEN turn off the schedule. Guess we wait a week to see what will be the replacement. Also, AA is keeping the 319 to PHx at midday through June.

flyfresno

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Interesting adds today for FAT! BJX and all the new Mexico service is great, so is mainline to PHX (better than the 6th RJ they did have). As for DEN and LAX losing frequencies, is DEN going to upgague, and will AA really make red eye connections in LA so long? We’ll see...

flyfresno

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Now that BJX has been announced, what will the next NEW (not currently served) city be from Fresno? My five guesses (alphabetical and not by odds):

HNL
IAH
MSP
SJD
SNA

Any other guesses? Odds on which will be first?

whatusaid

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 pm

flyfresno wrote:
Now that BJX has been announced, what will the next NEW (not currently served) city be from Fresno? My five guesses (alphabetical and not by odds):

HNL
IAH
MSP
SJD
SNA

Your guesses are spot on. I'd say HNL w/AS will happen when AS upgages SEA.

Does AS (OO or QX) have any unused slots at SNA? If not, that's a no-go thanks to Paine Field.

How about SJD for AM as a one-stop to MEX, as MX did up in SMF once? AM is being left in the dust by Y4. Maybe AS could run a 175 to SJD and back on Saturday, instead of the 2nd PDX? I'm all for SJD.

flyfresno

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:57 pm

whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

HNL
IAH
MSP
SJD
SNA

Does AS (OO or QX) have any unused slots at SNA? If not, that's a no-go thanks to Paine Field.

How about SJD for AM as a one-stop to MEX, as MX did up in SMF once? AM is being left in the dust by Y4. Maybe AS could run a 175 to SJD and back on Saturday, instead of the 2nd PDX? I'm all for SJD.

I would mostly agree with you. SJD makes the most sense on an E175 for AS, as pax can connect in SAN quite easily on other days. I’ve often wondered if AS would do SEA-FAT-HNL on Friday evening and then HNL-FAT-SEA on Sunday evening, but opportunity cost likely keeps that from happening. I’d guess we’ll see FAT-SAN-HNL before SEA-FAT-HNL, but who knows. SNA is a giant crap shoot, also a huge opportunity cost dilemma (but more with slots instead of aircraft) as you said. MSP seems most likely on SY, but the new SMF service might actually hurt that. IAH? Well, if ORD does well and DEN can go to at least all E-175’s, then maybe. Sadly (for BFL), with more and more leakage from the South Valley happening, UA might see FAT-IAH as an opportunity to again serve the Bakersfield oil market AND guarantee enough extra pax from the Fresno market to make a flight worth it. Southwest’s HOU-BUR service is obviously convienant for that, but how many oil execs are flying on Southwest (I’m really not sure)?

whatusaid

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:15 am

flyfresno wrote:
whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

HNL
IAH
MSP
SJD
SNA

I would mostly agree with you. SJD makes the most sense on an E175 for AS, as pax can connect in SAN quite easily on other days. I’ve often wondered if AS would do SEA-FAT-HNL on Friday evening and then HNL-FAT-SEA on Sunday evening, but opportunity cost likely keeps that from happening. I’d guess we’ll see FAT-SAN-HNL before SEA-FAT-HNL, but who knows. SNA is a giant crap shoot, also a huge opportunity cost dilemma (but more with slots instead of aircraft) as you said. MSP seems most likely on SY, but the new SMF service might actually hurt that. IAH? Well, if ORD does well and DEN can go to at least all E-175’s, then maybe. Sadly (for BFL), with more and more leakage from the South Valley happening, UA might see FAT-IAH as an opportunity to again serve the Bakersfield oil market AND guarantee enough extra pax from the Fresno market to make a flight worth it. Southwest’s HOU-BUR service is obviously convienant for that, but how many oil execs are flying on Southwest (I’m really not sure)?

I fly AS to SAN frequently, and you're right about the connecting traffic to SJD. SAN is becoming an interesting connecting opportunity. I've a bargain MCI-SAN-FAT coming up and the added benefit is all 175, which I view as far more comfortable than a 738.

SAN-FAT is an interesting run right now. On my mid-day last week, we had connecting traffic to SAN from SEA and PDX and the same flow returning. It's pretty cool to see the three 175's lined up at noon.

AS always seems to add service when we least expect it. I guess we wait until the fall schedule release and maybe SNA or HNL will happen.

Anyone notice, no predictions about DL expanding in Fresno?

whatusaid

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:16 am

flyfresno wrote:
whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

HNL
IAH
MSP
SJD
SNA

I fly AS to SAN frequently, and you're right about the connecting traffic to SJD. SAN is becoming an interesting connecting opportunity. I've a bargain MCI-SAN-FAT coming up and the added benefit is all 175, which I view as far more comfortable than a 738.

SAN-FAT is an interesting run right now. On my mid-day last week, we had connecting traffic to SAN from SEA and PDX and the same flow returning. It's pretty cool to see the three 175's lined up at noon.

AS always seems to add service when we least expect it. I guess we wait until the fall schedule release and maybe SNA or HNL will happen.

WN732

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:11 am

whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
whatusaid wrote:

DL seems to enjoy their place as the least relevant Big 3 airline for Fresno. Even so, those flights always seem full, and they're usually not cheap.

Justapax

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:51 am

WN732 wrote:
whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

DL seems to enjoy their place as the least relevant Big 3 airline for Fresno. Even so, those flights always seem full, and they're usually not cheap.

I am a SMF based flyer, not a DL Fanboy (although they are my current choice of airline after 2.25M miles on UA). DL has bigger fish to fry. Taking on AS in SEA. B6 in BOS. AA and others in RDU. They are making noises about a focus city in AUS. They have started flying their new A220s into DFW and IAH although I doubt they are looking for all out war with AA and UA. From what I read and experience onboard, they see this period of time as their chance to significantly increase market share in the big non hub cities. Removing CRJ200s. Upgauging to larger aircraft. I am sure they look at markets like Fresno internally and say "give us a couple of years" which certainly dfoesn't do FAT flyers any good now. Time will tell.

flyfresno

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Justapax wrote:
WN732 wrote:
whatusaid wrote:

I am a SMF based flyer, not a DL Fanboy (although they are my current choice of airline after 2.25M miles on UA). DL has bigger fish to fry. Taking on AS in SEA. B6 in BOS. AA and others in RDU. They are making noises about a focus city in AUS. They have started flying their new A220s into DFW and IAH although I doubt they are looking for all out war with AA and UA. From what I read and experience onboard, they see this period of time as their chance to significantly increase market share in the big non hub cities. Removing CRJ200s. Upgauging to larger aircraft. I am sure they look at markets like Fresno internally and say "give us a couple of years" which certainly dfoesn't do FAT flyers any good now. Time will tell.

They have, at least for now, upguaged from 1 CR7 and 2 CR2 to all CR9, YOY, starting in late summer (one of the CR2’s just swapped to a CR7 this week). That’s an almost 40% increase in seats (the equivalent of adding a CR7)...so I would say that FAT’s getting at least a little attention from them!

iflykpdx

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm

FAT does happen to be the smallest airport by passenger count that DL has any presence in for all of California. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as future prospects for growth.

flyfresno

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:07 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
FAT does happen to be the smallest airport by passenger count that DL has any presence in for all of California. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing as far as future prospects for growth.

SBA will soon replace FAT for the honor.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Years ago Delta had a large percentage of the Fresno market, they were here long before AA. DL formerly had multiple destinations from FAT which allowed multiple connecting points. It allowed me to be top tier in their program for my extensive travel back then.

But as DL pulled destinations then frequency from Fresno my travel shifted to other airlines. I believe AA and UA picked up many of the other former DL high tier members living in Fresno also.

I would be curious about Delta's current passenger breakdown at FAT. I would guess that it now leans heavier toward passengers living elsewhere flying in vs locals flying out.

whatusaid

Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:57 am

FATFlyer wrote:
Years ago Delta had a large percentage of the Fresno market, they were here long before AA. DL formerly had multiple destinations from FAT which allowed multiple connecting points. It allowed me to be top tier in their program for my extensive travel back then.

But as DL pulled destinations then frequency from Fresno my travel shifted to other airlines. I believe AA and UA picked up many of the other former DL high tier members living in Fresno also.

I would be curious about Delta's current passenger breakdown at FAT. I would guess that it now leans heavier toward passengers living elsewhere flying in vs locals flying out.

When DL cut back years ago, I had about 800,000 miles logged, equally through SLC and LAX. I switched to United, logged about a million. Then AA stepped up, I ran up 1.3 million. For years, my loyalty was with whomever had the options at the time, as service was so inconsistent. Now, you can settle in with some confidence. Having my lifetime Gold status on AA, it’s now all earning enough for a couple trips to Hawaii each year. So, I moved over to Alaska, which is working well through SAN for most connections and upgrades are actually coming through. DL is the last option I consider these days. DL is a little late to recognize how much this area has grown. DL has a decent product, but they’d have a challenge against AA’s options in this market.

whatusaid

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 am

Y4 has loaded the schedule for BJX. 3:35am on Tue and Sat. Brutal schedule. So, we now have 12:35a GDL, 2:05a MLM and BJX, plus a second tbd to GDL that I would expect to be added back for the holidays. Airport looks to now be a true 24hr operation thanks to Y4.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:18 pm

whatusaid wrote:
Y4 has loaded the schedule for BJX. 3:35am on Tue and Sat. Brutal schedule. So, we now have 12:35a GDL, 2:05a MLM and BJX, plus a second tbd to GDL that I would expect to be added back for the holidays. Airport looks to now be a true 24hr operation thanks to Y4.

Plus AM to GDL at 11:30pm.

No DOT filing yet so I assume BJX is not open for sale yet.

I wonder if Hudson will extend some more of the concession hours to serve these overnight flights. I believe they still have a midnight to 4am closure for the shops, restaurants, and Starbucks.

flyfresno

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:27 pm

whatusaid wrote:

Wowza, why not just push it to 5AM? I'm guessing aircraft utilization, but geez, that's brutal.

FATFlyer wrote:
I wonder if Hudson will extend some more of the concession hours to serve these overnight flights. I believe they still have a midnight to 4am closure for the shops, restaurants, and Starbucks.

Yeah, they will have to. I'm assuming that there won't be a ton of business, but certainly some, so one shop + one food option inside security will be a must. I'm guessing that Starbucks outside security could stay open too, I always see people who are waiting for inbound pax patronizing it.

One more big question: how many int'l pax will FAT need to have to come back into the port of entry status discussion? There was some work on it a couple years back, but crickets since.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:13 pm

flyfresno wrote:
One more big question: how many int'l pax will FAT need to have to come back into the port of entry status discussion? There was some work on it a couple years back, but crickets since.

There is not a number that automatically triggers port of entry. There is a minimum number but that does not mean the switch from user-fee is automatic.

Supposedly the minimum numbers to obtain Port of Entry status are: "15,000 international air passengers (airport), 2,000 scheduled international arrivals (airport),"
http://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/173/~/how-to-get-customs-and-border-protection-and-other-federal-services-at-port

However, PSP and SNA are still also user fee airports.

My personal feeling is that there is a bit of federal budgeting and political pressure that can impact the switch to POE.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:50 pm

I ran across an interesting FAA workgroup recommendation today.

The FAA is recommending that Bakersfield TRACON be relocated to FAT and combined with Fresno TRACON.
http://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2019-0153-0002

The report sees both financial and operational benefits to the merged operation. Part of the reason includes that Bakersfield TRACON is located inside the BFL tower. The BFL tower has developed a tilt of 7 inches off perpendicular (0.55 degrees). While the tilting has been stabilized, the tower will need to be replaced in the future. Moving TRACON to Fresno will allow a smaller new tower facility to be built at BFL at a lower cost. Additionally the FAA feels the move would allow better air space coordination from Fresno to Bakersfield including at Visalia, Porterville and Tulare airports.

flyfresno

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:17 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
I ran across an interesting FAA workgroup recommendation today.

The FAA is recommending that Bakersfield TRACON be relocated to FAT and combined with Fresno TRACON.
http://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FAA-2019-0153-0002

The report sees both financial and operational benefits to the merged operation. Part of the reason includes that Bakersfield TRACON is located inside the BFL tower. The BFL tower has developed a tilt of 7 inches off perpendicular (0.55 degrees). While the tilting has been stabilized, the tower will need to be replaced in the future. Moving TRACON to Fresno will allow a smaller new tower facility to be built at BFL at a lower cost. Additionally the FAA feels the move would allow better air space coordination from Fresno to Bakersfield including at Visalia, Porterville and Tulare airports.

1) Surprised SBA TRACON has more traffic than FAT, especially with all the military ops around FAT. But, I guess that’s including SBP and the surrounding airports?
2) Wonder if they will call the whole TRACON Fresno, keep the names as/is (or rename BFL to something else like how Boise handles “Big Sky” approach), or rename the whole thing (CenCal Approach too weird a name?)? Also, will SBA and SBP ever be brought in with those?
3) On a different note, surprising ALO is being combined with DSM and not CID.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:49 pm

The Stuck at the Airport website gave FAT's new art lounge a nice mention this week. A mention and photos of the lounge and artwork in the same article with LAX's wildflowers and OAK's new WN Hawaii flight.
http://stuckattheairport.com/2019/03/19/stuck-at-the-airport-news-from-lax-fat-and-oak/

flyfresno

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:20 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
The Stuck at the Airport website gave FAT's new art lounge a nice mention this week. A mention and photos of the lounge and artwork in the same article with LAX's wildflowers and OAK's new WN Hawaii flight.
http://stuckattheairport.com/2019/03/19/stuck-at-the-airport-news-from-lax-fat-and-oak/

I was just there yesterday, it's good to see all the artwork. The downstairs area looks a little funny and out of place, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to seeing it empty. I think that space has always been sort of wasted before this...the "gate" on the west side was used for only a handful of months, and the "gate" on the east side was never, to my knowledge, used as one.

On another note, UA added back a 4th DEN express service in October, but they are still only showing 3X in summer, all on CR2's. Seems like they are lacking capacity, even with the new ORD flight (they will have only slightly more seats to DEN than to ORD most days). Is this a response to F9, or just a lack of confidence in capacity?

flyfresno

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:59 pm

A couple thoughts:
UA has still not added back another DEN. Anyone else find it strange that they have a huge hole in the middle of the day (only one departure between 10am and 4pm: a 2:35pm to LAX)?
F9 extended the schedule again but has still not added a 4th flight.
I think LAS will be the next route announcement from FAT. F9 and SY seem primed to be the much needed 2nd carrier on the route. SY added RDM today, and while they will be exclusive there, I think it shows that FAT could happen. Based on the MSP O&D traffic from FAT, a MSP-LAS-FAT-LAS-MSP route on Fr/Su sure sounds tempting...

flyfresno

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm

DL has moved some FAT-SLC flights in October to E175s.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:16 pm

flyfresno wrote:
DL has moved some FAT-SLC flights in October to E175s.

If I remember, Skywest announced 5 more E175s being delivered this year for DL flights (and 4 more next year). The new E175s were to replace 9 CR9s. Looks like FAT benefits.

whatusaid

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 am

flyfresno wrote:
A couple thoughts:
UA has still not added back another DEN. Anyone else find it strange that they have a huge hole in the middle of the day (only one departure between 10am and 4pm: a 2:35pm to LAX)?
I think LAS will be the next route announcement from FAT. F9 and SY seem primed to be the much needed 2nd carrier on the route. SY added RDM today, and while they will be exclusive there, I think it shows that FAT could happen. Based on the MSP O&D traffic from FAT, a MSP-LAS-FAT-LAS-MSP route on Fr/Su sure sounds tempting...

UA added a 319 to DEN starting October 5. 12:45 pm departure.

UA pulling the midday for the summer and then adding back in August and upgrading to a 319 in the fall seems to go against logic. FAT seems to be removed from logic.

FYI - DL had a 175 on the 12:30 to SLC today.

flyfresno

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:00 am

whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
A couple thoughts:

UA pulling the midday for the summer and then adding back in August and upgrading to a 319 in the fall seems to go against logic. FAT seems to be removed from logic.

Nice add. Looks like an E-175 to DEN at 9:21AM leading up to the A319 debut.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:13 am

Several airport project contracts on the City Council agenda for Thursday April 25, 2019. Busy day for airport staff in front of the council.

(1) A $2,865,700 contract for preparation of the NEPA/CEQA study and other preliminary documents for the new concourse, new parking garage, and apron/taxiway changes. Staff report and contract:
https://fresno.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=392&ID=3922365&GUID=494F9EFF-D35A-47C4-B894-BFD32B36CC47&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)
https://fresno.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=7168554&GUID=5B5C8D1E-92FF-4110-A87B-E7C13E4E8622

(2) Accepting the $35 million loan to construct the new parking garage. Staff report:
https://fresno.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=392&ID=3922367&GUID=2DC981FC-96AB-40FE-8403-991E0A193788&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)

(3) A $3,153,558 construction contract for the new surface long-term/employee/cell phone waiting parking lot. Staff report:
https://fresno.legistar.com/ViewReport.ashx?M=R&N=Master&GID=392&ID=3922149&GUID=EEFE0239-B92B-41AA-A4D6-866584A3C169&Extra=WithText&Title=Legislation+Details+(With+Text)

(4) A $293,819 contract for new parking control equipment for the new parking lot.
(5) A revised contract with ARC for trash and cleaning services in the new parking lot after construction.
(6) A 3 year extension of the contract with the company managing the Customer Service Ambassador Program.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 am

The City Council will review the new fiscal year budget for the airport on Monday.

In the budget, FAT estimates in fiscal year 2020 it will handle 2,033,600 passengers.

Fiscal year 2019 ending on June 30 is projected by the airport to see 1,888,200 passengers. So an estimated 7.7% growth for FY2020 over 2019.

If the airport hits 2 million passengers in 2020, that is 7 or 8 years earlier than projected just last year in the new master plan.

ericm2031

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 am

whatusaid wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
A couple thoughts:

UA tends to do this with some of their CA-DEN routes. They put horrible CR2's on the routes, then upgauge them, then downgauge them, take away the most popular times, just to put them back in later on. I've also noticed ill-timed flights to LAX that miss minimum connect times by a couple minutes.

flyfresno

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:15 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
The City Council will review the new fiscal year budget for the airport on Monday.

In the budget, FAT estimates in fiscal year 2020 it will handle 2,033,600 passengers.

Fiscal year 2019 ending on June 30 is projected by the airport to see 1,888,200 passengers. So an estimated 7.7% growth for FY2020 over 2019.

If the airport hits 2 million passengers in 2020, that is 7 or 8 years earlier than projected just last year in the new master plan.

Even with all this growth, we can totally get by with just three new gates for the foreseeable future, which won't be ready until at least 2021, and which may or may not have a secure customs walkway so that the gate area(s) don't have to be completely cleared when an int'l flight arrives. :roll:

WN732

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:35 pm

flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Even with all this growth, we can totally get by with just three new gates for the foreseeable future, which won't be ready until at least 2021, and which may or may not have a secure customs walkway so that the gate area(s) don't have to be completely cleared when an int'l flight arrives. :roll:

True, but anything is better than the TuffShed that they are using now.

flyfresno

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:32 pm

WN732 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

Such an embarrassment.

WN732

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm

flyfresno wrote:
WN732 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:

Such an embarrassment.

It really is. I think the rest of the airport is fantastic and aesthetically surpasses many other airports, even in CA. But the international arrivals area is a complete disaster. And perhaps with the new growth on UA and DL will finally send the signal to other carriers that things are happening in Fresno, and it's only getting better.

flyfresno

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:15 pm

WN732 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
WN732 wrote:

Such an embarrassment.

It really is. I think the rest of the airport is fantastic and aesthetically surpasses many other airports, even in CA. But the international arrivals area is a complete disaster. And perhaps with the new growth on UA and DL will finally send the signal to other carriers that things are happening in Fresno, and it's only getting better.

While SJD is the only new int’l route I see happening in the next 5 years now that BJX is nearly here, it’s still very probable we’ll see more capacity on existing routes during that time. The airport needs to leverage a bit of excess space with having to turn down new service (or only offer time slots airlines don’t want).

I would also agree that we can expect to see at least one new carrier in the next 5 years, short of an economic crash, probably SY, WN, or NK.

dfwjim1

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Is UA to IAH a possibility down the road? AA has done well with service to DFW so perhaps more service to Texas from FAT would work...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos