aerolimani
Topic Author

Mexico fuel crisis - airports at risk?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm

President AMLO has closed gas pipelines across Mexico, hoping to starve out the huachicoleros, the gas thieves, who have sophisticated operations stealing fuel directly from pipelines. Central Mexico is rapidly running out of fuel. If more does not become available soon, they're going to start having other shortages, like food not being able to be shipped to markets. Jet fuel is also at risk, as it too is generally delivered by pipeline.

On Jan 8, Rodrigo Pérez-Alonso, the Executive Director of the National Air Transportation Chamber in Mexico, tweeted (albeit somewhat cryptically) about an airport fuel shortage. https://twitter.com/rperezalonso/status ... 5785962496 There was also an unconfirmed report that Queretaro airport issued a NOTAM warning of jet fuel shortages.

In any case, fuel really is running out at gas stations, especially in central Mexico. https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/americas ... index.html

AMLO is really messing with the country. He's mentioned the possibility of the shutdown lasting for months. Today, he has mobilized 4000 troops to combat the thieves. From an aviation perspective, and from a general perspective, I think this situation is something to keep a close eye on.

KrustyTheKlown

Re: Mexico fuel crisis - airports at risk?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 pm

A NOTAM warning of a fuel shortage was indeed issued by QRO for Jan 10. The NOTAM is no longer active as apparently they received fuel shipments.

Reportedly they never ran out of fuel.

I suspect that the tankers that usually supply QRO were re-directed to supply other fuels to gas stations disregarding the needs of the airport. Something that won't be surprising as the new administration is packed with grossly incompetent amateurs.

airportugal310

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 pm

While there have been numerous industry alerts via email to the "jet fuel community", they essentially say that fuel is being brought to the airport in other ways (likely by truck)

I see alerts in my inbox for MEX, CUN, and PVR but they all say the same thing
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

jjbiv

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:32 am

A friend of mine who is a pilot for Southwest mentioned earlier this week that they have been tankering fuel to Cancún to avoid issues obtaining fuel due to the shortage.

sonicruiser

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:19 am

aerolimani wrote:
AMLO is really messing with the country. He's mentioned the possibility of the shutdown lasting for months. Today, he has mobilized 4000 troops to combat the thieves.

This sounds vaguely familiar.

KrustyTheKlown

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 am

AMLO's detractors expected that it would take him at least 6 years to transform Mexico into Venezuela.. Nobody expected it would take him 6 weeks. [/joke?]

DesertAir

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 am

The difficulty is not a lack of fuel but lack of distribution capacity. The robbing of fuel is a major problem and needs to be addressed. The error seems to be in the planning...how to cover the fuel needs of certain populations. The fuel crisis is not in all of the states but a number of states concentrated in the southern part of the republic. There has been no report of fuel shortage here in the Tijuana gas stations that depend on PEMEX nor at the airport.

aerolimani
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:00 am

DesertAir wrote:
The difficulty is not a lack of fuel but lack of distribution capacity. The robbing of fuel is a major problem and needs to be addressed. The error seems to be in the planning...how to cover the fuel needs of certain populations. The fuel crisis is not in all of the states but a number of states concentrated in the southern part of the republic. There has been no report of fuel shortage here in the Tijuana gas stations that depend on PEMEX nor at the airport.

I imagine that keeping the well touristed airports (and MEX) supplied will be a priority. If shortages occur at airports, I'm sure it will be at other airports. Nonetheless, any network disruption is a major hassle for the airlines.

As to where the shortages are occurring, it's primarily central areas that are being affected; Querétaro, Guanajuato, Michoacán, Jalisco, Mexico City, and so on.

No question, the pipeline thieving is a major problem, but I'm not sure AMLO's solution is very well thought out. Certainly, it doesn't seem well planned. A little bit cutting off the nose to spite the face?

sonicruiser

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 pm

There was a major explosion killing 66 people today from these fuel thieves so I would not be surprised to see a hardline approach taken against them which would definitely impact MEX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos