piedmontf284000
Topic Author

US Government shutdown will close TSA checkpoints at many airports

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:54 pm

The US Government shutdown, officially the longest ever, will lead to closing of checkpoints in many airports and at MIA, Concourse G will be closed and travelers will be directed to other checkpoints. More than 51,000 TSA employees have been without pay since Dec. 22 and today(1/11) was their first missed paycheck. Yesterday (1/10) the agency saw a 55 percent increase in employees calling in sick. Some TSA'a are just quitting the job because they have had enough. It seems like it will get much worse until the shutdown ends.

The ATC union has filed a lawsuit on behalf of their employees seeking their full pay. The TSA union might want to do the same.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... wn-squeeze

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel ... ing-travel

LDRA

Re: US Government shutdown will close TSA checkpoints at many airports

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Excellent

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm

I think alot were ready to quit. This was just the straw that broke the Camels back. Hard to go in and work when you know a paycheck far away. Jeesh hope this doesn't get too much worse!

TWFlyGuy

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
I think alot were ready to quit. This was just the straw that broke the Camels back. Hard to go in and work when you know a paycheck far away. Jeesh hope this doesn't get too much worse!

I think the TSA is precisely where it needs to get worse in order to re-open things. Stall business travel and vacations and the Senate may have some people put pressure on McConnell. If DFW, MIA, ATL & CLT slow substancially, each of those states are served by two Republican's. Pressure could mount pretty quickly to get beyond 60 votes to override a veto.

evank516

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I think the TSA is precisely where it needs to get worse in order to re-open things. Stall business travel and vacations and the Senate may have some people put pressure on McConnell. If DFW, MIA, ATL & CLT slow substancially, each of those states are served by two Republican's. Pressure could mount pretty quickly to get beyond 60 votes to override a veto.

Add LGA, JFK, and EWR to that list of airports. If NYC Airports slow to a crawl with TSA, we're going to have major issues.

A3801000

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Jan 4th:

Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS

More #FakeNews from @CNN. Security operations at airports have not been impacted by a non-existent sick out. CNN has the cell numbers of multiple @TSA public affairs professionals, but rather than validate statistics, they grossly misrepresented them.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Jan 4th:

Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS

More #FakeNews from @CNN. Security operations at airports have not been impacted by a non-existent sick out. CNN has the cell numbers of multiple @TSA public affairs professionals, but rather than validate statistics, they grossly misrepresented them.

The point - or at least part of the point - is that once folks start missing paychecks it may get worse.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AAtakeMeAway

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Jan 4th:

Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS

1) Today is 1/11/19
2) Multiple new outlets are reporting this, not just CNN

TWFlyGuy

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 pm

evank516 wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Add LGA, JFK, and EWR to that list of airports. If NYC Airports slow to a crawl with TSA, we're going to have major issues.

NY & NJ are represented by Democrats not likely to move their position. It actually strengthen's their argument.

On a side note, I did read that with the shut down FAA is unable to certify new aircraft. So, wonder if that will have an impact on DL's schedule assuming the 220 intro gets delayed.

A3801000

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:43 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Jan 4th:

Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS

1) Today is 1/11/19

It was pretty clear that it would come to this but the authorities decided to put their head in the sand instead of working on a solution to the foreseeable problem.

musman9853

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm

and nothing of value was lost.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

Bobloblaw

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:50 pm

This should be a great opportunity to be rid of the TSA and bring back private security...and no private security wasnt to blame for 9-11. Government was. Nothing the hijackers took onboard the flights was illegal or prohibited.

BTW at Nancy Pelosi's airport the security is.....private firm

ER757

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm

It's a sad state of affairs, it really is.
Headed to SEA later today, will see what the scenario is there. The airlines at SEA have been bringing in food and other staples for the TSA workers as a show of support and the Port of Seattle is working with local banks and credit unions to help secure no interest loans for them as well. The port and the airlines know that with TSA staff at the checkpoints no one goes anywhere

xxcr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm

with this government shutdown, are there any security delays out of SFO?

BravoOne

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 pm

ER757 wrote:
It's a sad state of affairs, it really is.
Headed to SEA later today, will see what the scenario is there. The airlines at SEA have been bringing in food and other staples for the TSA workers as a show of support and the Port of Seattle is working with local banks and credit unions to help secure no interest loans for them as well. The port and the airlines know that with TSA staff at the checkpoints no one goes anywhere

Through Seattle 3 days ago. Place was running like good swiss watch. Actually better that I have seen it. Let us know how you make out but I suspect the sky is not falling....yet at least.

Bobloblaw

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:19 pm

xxcr wrote:

SFO has private firm doing security....airports can opt out of TSA and SFO did

xxcr

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
xxcr wrote:

They have TSA there at terminal 3. i flew SFO-LAX last month and its all TSA. unless that changed in the past week or two.

JayinKitsap

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Prior to 9-11 most airports ran security quite well, usually part of the government agency that runs the airport, like the Port of Seattle runs the airport as well as maritime functions. Why a group with the bosses far far away is better than the local agency is beyond me.

The TSA should monitor the security at the airports to ensure full performance, but it is best that it is run by the airport entity.

silentbob

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
xxcr wrote:

The TSA denied every application for a few years and now doesn't allow the airport any role in outsourcing the screening. I've long believed that the TSA should only be setting standards and auditing the screening across the country, not conducting the actual screening.

evank516

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:42 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
evank516 wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:

NY & NJ are represented by Democrats not likely to move their position. It actually strengthen's their argument.

On a side note, I did read that with the shut down FAA is unable to certify new aircraft. So, wonder if that will have an impact on DL's schedule assuming the 220 intro gets delayed.

Which argument are you referring to?

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:
Prior to 9-11 most airports ran security quite well,
No they didn't. It was the same joke then that it is now, just with less rules.

Elementalism

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity to rid this country of the TSA. Some of the trogs are quitting? Even better.

blueflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

silentbob wrote:
The TSA denied every application for a few years and now doesn't allow the airport any role in outsourcing the screening. I've long believed that the TSA should only be setting standards and auditing the screening across the country, not conducting the actual screening.

I'm on board as long as
-The TSA becomes an independent agency;
-Employees in charge of setting standards are paid well enough that they're not attracted by a big fat check for a cushy job with a private security firm a few years down the road.

I'm no fan of the TSA as is, however if its mandate becomes solely to set and enforce standards without further reforms and private firms perform security functions, standards will be even lower in an effort to maximize profits for the firms, a la SEC, FTC, FCC, etc.

If you think security was better before 9/11, you were not paying attention. No argument it is far from being as good as it could be now, but it is still quite improved.
Inadequate healthcare killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Opioid crisis killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Would-be king who can't figure this out, that's a national emergency

MIflyer12

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

That's a good point. I'm sure those Senators would claim to be pro-business and do most anything for their respective airports. Well, they may have a chance to prove it.

axio

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

So it's not going to get to this https://youtu.be/HMqCnHq2-q8?t=523 right?.... right? :)
Time for a new viewing deck at AKL!

aklrno

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Just cleared through FIS at LAX TBIT a few hours ago. Just about my fastest experience there ever. Had only carry on bag. From terminal entry to exit out the front door in less than 10 minutes. Did not use global entry but did use mobile passport. Walked to T1 for a WN flight and cleared TSA precheck in couple of minutes. I had allowed plenty of time in case of late arrival or FIS and TSA delays so now I’m falling asleep waitin 2 more hours for my connection.

trav777

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 pm

at IAD, you'd be hard-pressed on any given day to know they were ever at work

kiowa

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

A3801000 wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Jan 4th:

Tyler Q. Houlton
@SpoxDHS

1) Today is 1/11/19

It was pretty clear that it would come to this but the authorities decided to put their head in the sand instead of working on a solution to the foreseeable problem.

The authorities are not missing any paychecks.

planecane

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Or the democrats could vote for the miniscule (in comparison to the overall spending bill) amount for the wall construction that most of them already voted in favor of a few years ago (including Chuck Schumer).

The most likely scenario if the shutdown drags on longer is that they will make targeted spending bills for things like TSA that allow both sides to save face and still show that they are holding firm on their positions.

kiowa

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:57 pm

trav777 wrote:

Are they working when at work?

September11

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Army can overtake TSA?
Airliners.net of the Future

Alphazone

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

trav777 wrote:

I took a photo at ATL intl arrivals hall of ~20 blue shirts standing together and doing nothing. But I later deleted it
No conclusion can be offered, for the history recounted above is still unfolding.

planecane

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

September11 wrote:
Army can overtake TSA?

National guard maybe but I don't think army is allowed to operate on US soil in that capacity.

bob75013

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:18 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Let's not forget that the democrats are as recalcitrant as the republicans are. If you think the democrats are going to negotiate a wall after everything else opens, you must also believe in the tooth fairy.

Went thru DAL at 4:00 yesterday -- no issues all though there were lots of TSA pre passengers.
Last edited by bob75013 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qcpilotxf

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 pm

xxcr wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
xxcr wrote:

They have TSA there at terminal 3. i flew SFO-LAX last month and its all TSA. unless that changed in the past week or two.

SFO is an SPP airport. All of their terminals are operated by a contract company. There is an illusion of them being TSA. TSA requires that they wear a very very similar uniform to the actual TSA agents.

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 pm

This is the third such topic created regarding the TSA shutdown effects, and each of them simply evolve into political discourse. Please continue this discussion in the active thread in the Non Aviation Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1412067

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos