mcg

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:31 pm

caverunner17 wrote:
mcg wrote:
It's interesting to me that the new service to Europe (i.e. UA to LHR and FRA) hasn't seemed to have any effect on fares. I'm shopping for a trip to Europe in June and fares are quite high. I'm trying to be patient and wait for a fare sale, but as of yet fares DEN to Europe are as high as I've ever seen.

Pro tip: Don't be picky where you fly into. Sometimes flying to London or Paris can be expensive, but Brussels or Amsterdam can be cheap.

For example, I'm seeing some $6xx summer fares to LHR

Understood, played that game a number of times. This trip requires service to 'central Europe' at particular dates, but have generally found reasonable fares there. Hoping for a sale :D

Logically the pretty significant expansion of DEN to Europe service should result in some downward impact on fares.

jplatts

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:42 am

WN has its next schedule extension this Thursday, and there are a few more nonstop routes that could be added by WN out of DEN such as DEN-BHM, DEN-DSM, DEN-CLT, DEN-LIT, DEN-MAF, DEN-ROC, and DEN-ICT.

WN could also bring back DEN-PVD nonstop service since (a) PVD is one of the top destinations traveled to from DEN that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN, (b) there is a significant amount of passengers connecting to DEN from PVD, even with F9 having seasonal nonstop service to PVD from DEN, and (c) there is a significant amount of passengers connecting to destinations west of the Rocky Mountains from PVD.

Will WN announce any new nonstop routes out of DEN on Thursday?

Rdh3e

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:16 am

jplatts wrote:

No. They are extending into the October/November period. Not a popular time to start new routes as they would struggle to gain traction during the slower Winter period.

jplatts

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
jplatts wrote:

No. They are extending into the October/November period. Not a popular time to start new routes as they would struggle to gain traction during the slower Winter period.

WN actually added DEN-ELP and DEN-MEM nonstop service in the March 2018 schedule extension, and WN started both of these routes in October 2018 (Source: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-5bfdf6d446d6aa38517f972f392fa9ee-fall-in-love-with-more-nonstop-options-on-southwest-airlines).

Rdh3e

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:32 pm

jplatts wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
jplatts wrote:

WN actually added DEN-ELP and DEN-MEM nonstop service in the March 2018 schedule extension, and WN started both of these routes in October 2018 (Source: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-5bfdf6d446d6aa38517f972f392fa9ee-fall-in-love-with-more-nonstop-options-on-southwest-airlines).

Given they are investing all of their aircraft (essentially) in Hawaii, I doubt there is any scope for new markets in this off-peak schedule extension.

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:26 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
DEN is a major market. I could see Delta doing some focus cities. No true P2P routes, but to focus cities like AUS, RDU woudln't seem too crazy.

AUS isn't a focus city for Delta. Maybe someday, in the hopes and dreams of some a.net fanboys, but every chance AUS has had from a erminal expansion to adding a DL club (with a PATIO!!!!) , to "insider" runaway rumors of "60 additional flights by Ausust" have been just crickets in reality. So no I don't think we're going to see Delta adding Denver to AUS.

Fargo

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
DEN is a major market. I could see Delta doing some focus cities. No true P2P routes, but to focus cities like AUS, RDU woudln't seem too crazy.

AUS isn't a focus city for Delta. Maybe someday, in the hopes and dreams of some a.net fanboys, but every chance AUS has had from a terminal expansion to adding a DL club (with a PATIO!!!!) , to "insider" runaway rumors of "60 additional flights by Ausust" have been just crickets in reality. So no I don't think we're going to see Delta adding Denver to AUS.

Dude, just stop. Your continued rants against the DL AUS focus city rumors are getting just as old as the rumors themselves. Give it a rest, if you don’t like the comments, move on....

DENflyer10
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:40 am

America’s Most Controversial Airport Is Now No. 1 in the Country

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... or-airport

Cool write-up of DIA from Thrillist. Nothing new that we didn't already know but a great recap of DIA's history and how they got to be called the #1 Airport in the country.

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 am

I really can’t see how it gets ranked so high.

Inconvenient location (for local travelers). Parking/rental cars are so far away they add 15-20 mins of travel time to get to the terminal. Crowded trains to the concourses. Nasty, stinky, noisy restrooms with broken locks and 1-2” gaps in the privacy walls. Escalators and travelators in a perpetual state of disrepair. It’s a real hoot.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

Frontier14

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:09 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Inconvenient location (for local travelers). Parking/rental cars are so far away they add 15-20 mins of travel time to get to the terminal. Crowded trains to the concourses. Nasty, stinky, noisy restrooms with broken locks and 1-2” gaps in the privacy walls. Escalators and travelators in a perpetual state of disrepair. It’s a real hoot.

Wow, hope you do not have to travel through DEN again. But just so you might know, the queen bee of DIA has on her plans to fix the restroom issues once her administration gets HA to commit to DEN-HNL :spin: Just kidding...........

Frontier 14

caverunner17

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:30 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

Location isn't ideal, however it makes sense given the size of the airport and land availability when it was built. Reality is that it's only 15 minutes or so further than before. Without traffic, it's only 45-50 minutes for me from the complete opposite side of the metro (SW Littleton). It took me that long to reach ORD in Chicago and we lived half the distance away.

Parking is maybe 10 minutes at most to Pikes, maybe 12 minutes to Elbert. Rental car location is no different than when we got a car at Phoenix or when we visited friends back home at ORD. Same 10 minutes or so once on the buses.

Trains are going to be crowded -- its the only way to get to the B or C terminals - Not sure what you expect. It's a 3-5 minute ride. Big deal.

Restrooms seem to be on par with other airports I've been in. At least they're big and rarely have much of a line (mens). I think the "stink" you are referring to is actually an air freshener they use that's unique to DEN.

Overall, the layout of the airport is great - plus it's open and airy which makes it so much better if you have a delayed flight. You don't feel like you're piling up on top of each other like many other major airports.

xjetflyer2001

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
restrooms with broken locks and 1-2” gaps in the privacy walls

Thank You !!!, I've always believed that the person who designed the restroom stalls should be disgraced from ever designing or building bathroom stalls again. The bathroom stalls at DEN have had to of won awards for the worst possible bathroom design in history, are there razzie awards for bathroom designers?

wernerga3

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm

jplatts wrote:
While UA already serves RIC nonstop from DEN, RIC is located in the largest U.S. market that currently doesn't have any nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's. While WN is unlikely to add RIC-DEN nonstop service, I could see F9 entering RIC and adding DEN-RIC nonstop service.

I fly UA RIC-DEN / DEN-RIC frequently, and I would welcome a new direct flight option. While UA flies the A320 on this route occasionally, they predominately fly the ERJ175. I prefer the A320 because it is larger and more comfortable in my opinion- but I would welcome some direct flight competition from WN and its 737s.

A320

ERJ175

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Wow, hope you do not have to travel through DEN again. But just so you might know, the queen bee of DIA has on her plans to fix the restroom issues once her administration gets HA to commit to DEN-HNL :spin: Just kidding...........

Frontier 14

I’m at DEN about 300 days a year. It’s really not aging well. The building piers for Concourse B are sinking into the bedrock. In some places as much as 4-5 inches. Anytime it rains the water intrusion into the basment is astounding. Water literally rains down from the roof of the basement. A 25-year old modern designed structure should not be failing the way it is.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

mcg

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:12 pm

I think that the debt service associated with the construction of DEN resulted in a 'penny pinching' culture in terms of maintenance and upkeep. It's true, the rest rooms need work, there are often damaged section of carpet and the moving walkways and escalators do seem to be out of service occasionally (but any more than what one might expect in such a high traffic area? not sure). Having said that DEN is a really good airport, as good or better than any in the United States, particularly when you consider relatively benign weather and the runway layout result in very little operational difficulty. I can't think of a better airport in the United States for connections.

intotheair

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I think DEN is still a good airport. It's still a fairly consistent and reliable experience.

I do agree that the concourses do not give the world-class feeling that the airport originally had when it opened. The restrooms could use an overhaul, though they're not awful like the ones at LAX. What they have planned for the concourse extensions look nice, though the existing areas could really use a little bit of work. The concessions aren't that great (Caribou Coffee is NOT good) but they are working on it. The new duty-free shop in B is really something!

The security experience is really wild too. I'm glad I have Precheck because the normal lines look pretty terrible at peak times.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

LovePrunesAnet

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Fargo wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

AUS isn't a focus city for Delta. Maybe someday, in the hopes and dreams of some a.net fanboys, but every chance AUS has had from a terminal expansion to adding a DL club (with a PATIO!!!!) , to "insider" runaway rumors of "60 additional flights by Ausust" have been just crickets in reality. So no I don't think we're going to see Delta adding Denver to AUS.

Dude, just stop. Your continued rants against the DL AUS focus city rumors are getting just as old as the rumors themselves. Give it a rest, if you don’t like the comments, move on....

Dude. I was correcting something incorrectly stated. Dude. If you're so easily triggered, dude, you can add me to your "foe" list and you won't see anything I post. Dude. Ok Dude?
I certainly have a couple of posters on mine who post things I find annoying. Dude.

Kden95

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Any updates on concourse expansion progress. Also any rumors of new international flights being added, seems the airport was on a roll and now it’s been a bit quiet.

CALMSP

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Kden95 wrote:
Any updates on concourse expansion progress. Also any rumors of new international flights being added, seems the airport was on a roll and now it’s been a bit quiet.

plenty of dirt being moved on the west side of A right now.

intotheair wrote:
I think DEN is still a good airport. It's still a fairly consistent and reliable experience.

I do agree that the concourses do not give the world-class feeling that the airport originally had when it opened. The restrooms could use an overhaul, though they're not awful like the ones at LAX. What they have planned for the concourse extensions look nice, though the existing areas could really use a little bit of work. The concessions aren't that great (Caribou Coffee is NOT good) but they are working on it. The new duty-free shop in B is really something!

The security experience is really wild too. I'm glad I have Precheck because the normal lines look pretty terrible at peak times.

I like having Caribou!! :)

jetmatt777

Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:05 pm

B con west has begun demolition in preparation for the B west expansion.

jhsusman

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Anyone have any idea how Edelweiss is doing on the ZRH-DEN segment? Any chance Denver gets more frequency or an upgrade to Swiss?

globalflyer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Is Cayman still operating to DEN. Since the grounding of the MAX 8, was the service canceled? Or are they operating a 737 with a stop? KX is heavily advertising still in our market.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

CALMSP

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:36 pm

globalflyer wrote:
Is Cayman still operating to DEN. Since the grounding of the MAX 8, was the service canceled? Or are they operating a 737 with a stop? KX is heavily advertising still in our market.

I was flying through DEN on the way to EGE recently and saw an Eastern 737-800. I would imagine that was operating as a sub for them.

rajincajun01

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:03 pm

Does anyone here follow the Broken Escalators of DEN Instagram account? There are literally hundreds of pictures of broken escalators at DEN.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

globalflyer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:38 pm

CALMSP wrote:
globalflyer wrote:

I was flying through DEN on the way to EGE recently and saw an Eastern 737-800. I would imagine that was operating as a sub for them.

Thanks CALMSP... I was with the original Eastern over 30 years ago. I am totally going to head over to DIA and see the EA 738 operating for KX. I know it is totally not the same, especially now in its third incarnation...
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Does anyone here follow the Broken Escalators of DEN Instagram account? There are literally hundreds of pictures of broken escalators at DEN.

The escalators under the Westin should not be there at all. One of my coworkers was struck by a runaway bag, fell down the escalator over 15 feet, and had a compound fracture. She refuses to use any escalator now.

One time going up the escalator, a dad forced his scrawny 12 year old kid to go up with their big ass bags (yall know the ones I'm talking about). The kid lost it at the top and ate it big time. He was milking it really bad on the ground (he was literally spread eagle, it was kinda funny (i know im going to Hell)), but the dad contributed to the scene by yelling at him to get up. Meanwhile me and the other riders were piling up and about to make a bigger accident. Im the only one that had the decency to help the kid up.

There needs to be a restriction and enforcement of bag size on the outside escalators (that feel like the main entrance to the Rebel base on Hoth) so no one gets killed, or come up with a new way altogether to get to the transit center. Or at least add another escalator so you have 2 up and 2 down or a flight of non-slip stairs in the empty space.
jetmatt777 wrote:

As well as C con east; is the mezzanine by c49 going to be the Centurion Lounge?

Rumor has it Southwest wants to make DEN its 2nd largest station. I hope they coordinate with the city to update the facilities where applicable.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

rajincajun01

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:43 am

TWA772LR wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

The escalators under the Westin should not be there at all. One of my coworkers was struck by a runaway bag, fell down the escalator over 15 feet, and had a compound fracture. She refuses to use any escalator now.

One time going up the escalator, a dad forced his scrawny 12 year old kid to go up with their big ass bags (yall know the ones I'm talking about). The kid lost it at the top and ate it big time. He was milking it really bad on the ground (he was literally spread eagle, it was kinda funny (i know im going to Hell)), but the dad contributed to the scene by yelling at him to get up. Meanwhile me and the other riders were piling up and about to make a bigger accident. Im the only one that had the decency to help the kid up.

There needs to be a restriction and enforcement of bag size on the outside escalators (that feel like the main entrance to the Rebel base on Hoth) so no one gets killed, or come up with a new way altogether to get to the transit center. Or at least add another escalator so you have 2 up and 2 down or a flight of non-slip stairs in the empty space.

Having them outdoors in Colorado is stupid to start with. I too have seen a FedEx person take a header and all three packages rolling down the escalator.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

mkorpal333

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 am

TWA772LR wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

jetmatt777 wrote:

As well as C con east; is the mezzanine by c49 going to be the Centurion Lounge?

Rumor has it Southwest wants to make DEN its 2nd largest station. I hope they coordinate with the city to update the facilities where applicable.

It also takes what feels like an eternity to get up the thing. And of course, if it snows and there is any wind, game over. There was probably 4 feet of snow stuck to it the day after the blizzard.

I'm pretty sure that is the Centurion lounge. Last I heard, it should open sometime this summer.

flybry

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 am

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
restrooms with broken locks and 1-2” gaps in the privacy walls

Thank You !!!, I've always believed that the person who designed the restroom stalls should be disgraced from ever designing or building bathroom stalls again. The bathroom stalls at DEN have had to of won awards for the worst possible bathroom design in history, are there razzie awards for bathroom designers?

Why are you so scared? 2” privacy gap? Lolz

jplatts

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:04 am

TWA772LR wrote:

The top domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. traveled to from DEN that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from DEN include BHM, CLT, DSM, PWM, PVD, and DCA.

While DEN already has nonstop service to DCA on F9 and UA, WN cannot serve DCA nonstop from DEN without a beyond-perimeter slot exemption since DEN is outside of the DCA perimeter.

While WN hasn't yet announced any new nonstop routes out of DEN this year, DEN-BHM, DEN-CLT, DEN-DSM, and DEN-ICT nonstop service will likely be added by WN. The return on WN DEN-PVD nonstop service or WN adding DEN-PWM nonstop service on at least a seasonal basis are also both possibilities.

WN could also increase frequencies on some existing nonstop routes out of DEN such as DEN-CVG, DEN-CMH, DEN-FLL, DEN-SDF, and DEN-SAT.

WN will be operating 224 daily departures out of both BWI and DEN in Summer 2019. I think that DEN will likely be the 2nd largest WN station in Summer 2020 with WN having expanded at DEN and with WN reducing frequencies on some nonstop routes out of BWI.

CALMSP

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:26 pm

today is showing a 767-300 GCM-DEN. Who would this be? or an error?

RJNUT

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Flying pencil returns. Oddly I have a nostalgic fondness(perhaps misguided) for the Metroliner. Denver Air Connection will start DEN-AIA 2x daily using the Metro 23 aircraft as a part of being awarded the EAS contract there. Alliance is being split off from CDR for the 1st time in literally decades, I believe..

Frontier14

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:37 pm

RJNUT wrote:
Flying pencil returns. Oddly I have a nostalgic fondness(perhaps misguided) for the Metroliner. Denver Air Connection will start DEN-AIA 2x daily using the Metro 23 aircraft as a part of being awarded the EAS contract there. Alliance is being split off from CDR for the 1st time in literally decades, I believe..

Thanks for this information regarding the new award for Key Lime Air to Alliance NE. I was not aware that Boutique had lost the route. DAC has been looking for passenger routes now for a while. I thought they might get the recently awarded DEN-PIR-ATY route that went to Skywest. Key Lime was going to use their 30pax jet for that service.

Frontier 14

fry530

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:41 pm

CALMSP wrote:
today is showing a 767-300 GCM-DEN. Who would this be? or an error?

No error there, they've been chartering an Eastern 763. Right now is peak spring break travel season, so I think they're making good use of the extra capacity.
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Question for those in the know: What is the secret of UA's BFL-DEN flights?

Bakersfield, the truly forgotten city and airport in the state of California, has nearly 67% leakage to LAX, but also to the rest of Southern California, Fresno, and Las Vegas. Its business climate is oil (which will drive premium fares when oil prices are high) and agriculture, but it is relatively poor by California standards and has never supported much of an airport in terms of longevity of service.

The list of canceled routes is painful: LAX, SAN, SBA, FAT, LAS, SMF, SJC, SLC, DEN, DFW, IAH. Even SFO is once a day, and it is never guaranteed. HP/thenUS/nowAA has done well enough to PHX, but there's been no expansion on this route since the 90's in terms of frequency - just an occasional variation in RJ.

But then there is the 2x daily service to DEN. Year in, year out, this route survives. And somehow, United makes money from this route - so where is it coming from? Why DEN and not DFW or SLC? Yes, I know there is a subsidized BFL-DFW non-stop, but that was always considered mainly for oil business.

It's ironic - when I lived in Bakersfield in the 80's, the one route we were missing was a stable DEN schedule. A x2 daily routing via FAT was introduced for a while in 1986 (BFL-FAT-DEN, DEN-BFL-FAT-DEN, & DEN-FAT-BFL), but like everything else United did at the time, they changed the schedule before the ink was dry on the last timetable. Even Continental's brief stint in 87 at BFL didn't help United.

Yet this route that couldn't ever be sustained in the 80's or 90's is now the most stable it has. And I can't even fathom a guess. Anyone know?

By the way, great airport - my 80 year-old mother has had nothing but easy transfers doing Express to Express flights, usually BFL-DEN-XNA. Easier than dealing with DFW, and easy enough to walk with a pit stop along the way.

Limited O&D experience on my end (two arrivals, one departure), but I would agree everything should be on the inside. Last thing anyone wants is the requirement of outside stairs or ramps or escalators if not necessary.

dc10lover

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:00 pm

"Rumor has it Southwest wants to make DEN its 2nd largest station"

I would love to see Southwest Airlines be the #1 airline out of DEN on all the routes they serve.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Fargo

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:32 pm

dc10lover wrote:

I would love to see Southwest Airlines be the #1 airline out of DEN on all the routes they serve.

Not gonna happen as long as UA keeps their hub, especially since it is rumored they want to go to 600 flights/day out of DEN.

flyfresno

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:27 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Question for those in the know: What is the secret of UA's BFL-DEN flights?

Bakersfield, the truly forgotten city and airport in the state of California, has nearly 67% leakage to LAX, but also to the rest of Southern California, Fresno, and Las Vegas. Its business climate is oil (which will drive premium fares when oil prices are high) and agriculture, but it is relatively poor by California standards and has never supported much of an airport in terms of longevity of service.

The list of canceled routes is painful: LAX, SAN, SBA, FAT, LAS, SMF, SJC, SLC, DEN, DFW, IAH. Even SFO is once a day, and it is never guaranteed. HP/thenUS/nowAA has done well enough to PHX, but there's been no expansion on this route since the 90's in terms of frequency - just an occasional variation in RJ.

But then there is the 2x daily service to DEN. Year in, year out, this route survives. And somehow, United makes money from this route - so where is it coming from? Why DEN and not DFW or SLC? Yes, I know there is a subsidized BFL-DFW non-stop, but that was always considered mainly for oil business.

It's ironic - when I lived in Bakersfield in the 80's, the one route we were missing was a stable DEN schedule. A x2 daily routing via FAT was introduced for a while in 1986 (BFL-FAT-DEN, DEN-BFL-FAT-DEN, & DEN-FAT-BFL), but like everything else United did at the time, they changed the schedule before the ink was dry on the last timetable. Even Continental's brief stint in 87 at BFL didn't help United.

Yet this route that couldn't ever be sustained in the 80's or 90's is now the most stable it has. And I can't even fathom a guess. Anyone know?

By the way, great airport - my 80 year-old mother has had nothing but easy transfers doing Express to Express flights, usually BFL-DEN-XNA. Easier than dealing with DFW, and easy enough to walk with a pit stop along the way.

Limited O&D experience on my end (two arrivals, one departure), but I would agree everything should be on the inside. Last thing anyone wants is the requirement of outside stairs or ramps or escalators if not necessary.

BFL is a big enough city that business travelers and a few leisure travelers will always use the airport. DEN is the furthest and easternmost destination from BFL (after the still-not-a-sure-thing-that-it-will-last service to DFW), so it’s natural that it’s popular. Along with PHX, it will always be around since it offers so many more domestic options than SFO.

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:15 am

dc10lover wrote:

I can see that happening, and I would not even consider that a rumor. Just due to the fact that DEN is building them another 14/6ish gates. If SWA has approximately 35/40 gates in DEN
then it will be #2 or even #1. MDW, DAL, and HOU cannot expand. BWI and LAS have the greatest potential, more so for the former. LAX, SAN, OAK all have very limited growth potential.
The wild cards are BNA, STL, PHX, and ATL.

Now cue jplatts for all the routes that can be added.
Go Cubs Go Hey Chicago whaddya say the Cubs are gonna win today

Fargo

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 am

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

I can see that happening, and I would not even consider that a rumor. Just due to the fact that DEN is building them another 14/6ish gates. If SWA has approximately 35/40 gates in DEN
then it will be #2 or even #1. MDW, DAL, and HOU cannot expand. BWI and LAS have the greatest potential, more so for the former. LAX, SAN, OAK all have very limited growth potential.

Um, you realize UA has a 400+ flight hub that could be growing to 600+ flights in the next few years. WN isn't going to be the number 1 airline in DEN.

DaCubbyBearBar

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 am

Fargo wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Um, you realize UA has a 400+ flight hub that could be growing to 600+ flights in the next few years. WN isn't going to be the number 1 airline in DEN.

I think you misunderstood...it will be SWA's 2nd largest station, not beating UA for 1st....way TOO MANY regionals
Go Cubs Go Hey Chicago whaddya say the Cubs are gonna win today

jetmatt777

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:49 am

Fargo wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

I’ve heard the June schedule is around 530-545 on peak days. I haven’t verified this, but we are very busy for sure right now.

intotheair

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:56 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
I’ve heard the June schedule is around 530-545 on peak days. I haven’t verified this, but we are very busy for sure right now.

Is it true that UA is going to use the high number regional gates in A this summer in addition to the CUTE gates in A and C? I noticed the signs in the trains have been updated to list UA in all three concourses. So crazy when you think about how big of an operation that will be!
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

jetmatt777

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 am

intotheair wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Is it true that UA is going to use the high number regional gates in A this summer in addition to the CUTE gates in A and C? I noticed the signs in the trains have been updated to list UA in all three concourses. So crazy when you think about how big of an operation that will be!

UAX will operate on 9 A-con Gates in addition to the mainline on the peak banks using the CUTE gates.

Fargo

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:58 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
intotheair wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

UAX will operate on 9 A-con Gates in addition to the mainline on the peak banks using the CUTE gates.

Dang, UA spread out amongst 3 concourses, gonna be quite hectic!

What’s the long term plan for how UA, WN and F9 will be spread out? Since they are the “hub” carriers, they will require the most gates. How many
gates will each have after the expansion is done and will UA go back to just B, or will they still need A and C as well?

rph99

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 am

Fargo wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
intotheair wrote:

What’s the long term plan for how UA, WN and F9 will be spread out? Since they are the “hub” carriers, they will require the most gates. How many
gates will each have after the expansion is done and will UA go back to just B, or will they still need A and C as well?

I’d presume each hubbed airline at DEN will desire to operate out of separate terminals. UA will most likely operate exclusively out of B and SW out of C (with international flights being the exception). F9 and DL will stay on A with everyone else scattered between A and C.

Fargo

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 am

rph99 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I’d presume each hubbed airline at DEN will desire to operate out of separate terminals. UA will most likely operate exclusively out of B and SW out of C (with international flights being the exception). F9 and DL will stay on A with everyone else scattered between A and C.

True, but UA’s operation may not fit entirely into B if they get up to 600+ flights.

I’d build out A to the east and move all nonhub carriers there for O&D purposes, then leave UA/WN/F9 to B and C (and eventually D, I know they were talking about building vertical concourses directly attached to the terminal, but in light of the recent resurgence in connecting traffic, I think they should stick to the original plan and build D and E).

DENflyer10
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 pm

DEN the Best Airport in the United States, According to International Passenger Survey

Denver International Airport, for the second year in a row, has has been voted by passengers as the best regional airport in North America and was recognized as the top-ranked airport in the United States.

https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/a ... ger-survey

jplatts

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:49 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

WN has more than enough room to further expand at HOU, and there is enough room at HOU to accommodate at least 210 daily departures out of HOU. WN is also still expanding domestically at HOU.

WN has dropped some nonstop service to a few destinations in the Eastern U.S. from LAS, and WN has also reduced frequencies on some of its nonstop routes out of BWI.

WN is dropping ATL-DTW and ATL-MSP nonstop service in June, and WN has also reduced frequencies on ATL-BOS, ATL-MKE, and ATL-PHL nonstop service.

I had previously mentioned that there are a few more new nonstop routes such as DEN-BHM, DEN-CLT, DEN-DSM, and DEN-ICT that will probably be added by WN in the near future, even though WN hasn't yet announced plans to serve BHM, CLT, DSM, or ICT nonstop from DEN.

ytib

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Latest on the terminal construction and the concrete issues: https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/20/d ... ete-delay/

"May 2023 is the most recent projection made by Great Hall Partners for completion of the final phase of the $650 million-plus project, as disclosed this week in a monthly project report for bondholders.
That would be 18 months beyond the original target of November 2021. And the estimate has grown from a forecasted 10-month project delay in February."
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos