LH658
Topic Author
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm

My friend on Linkedin that works at TK, share TK newsletter that they were starting Istanbul - Mexico City - Cancun - Istanbul on August 21st, 2019.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm

Yes already posted in Turkish aviation thread with the planned schedule.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
Sightseer
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:04 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Interesting route, and one that I'd say warrants a thread. I'm assuming CUN is more of a tech stop due to MEX's altitude.
 
dodgers702
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Hopefully it works out for both countries. TK had been talking about landing in MEX since 2015 I think.
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 635
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:48 pm

So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm

TK triangulars are becoming fashionable, first it was IST-HAV-CCS-IST and now this one
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Forgot to mention IST-BOG-PTY-IST

BTW, that 0530 departure out of MEX is awful
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm

TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.

It should "work" as do the HAV-CCS flight... :roll:
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4105
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Yes this is posted already in the excellent Turkish aviation thread with additional details.

TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.


TK will do well as they do with other Latin America.
Not only is this opportunity for Turks to visit Mexico especially the beaches in the Yucatan, but also a good connection via IST to markets like Israel, Levent, broader Mideast, CIS etc.
Last edited by mercure1 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercure f-wtcc
 
LH658
Topic Author
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Lot of Mexican jews that go to Israel, usually connect on to IAH via Aero Mexico/United then to IST - TLV.
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm

LH658 wrote:
Lot of Mexican jews that go to Israel, usually connect on to IAH via Aero Mexico/United then to IST - TLV.


I can assure you they usually connect, whatever that means, with one stop options.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 pm

mercure1 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.


TK will do well as they do with other Latin America.
Not only is this opportunity for Turks to visit Mexico especially the beaches in the Yucatan, but also a good connection via IST to markets like Israel, Levent, broader Mideast, CIS etc.

And you know that they are doing well on their other flights in Latin America? HAV-CCS is not doing well (that flight has more sinister motives).
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?
 
leftyboarder
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:
TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.


TK will do well as they do with other Latin America.
Not only is this opportunity for Turks to visit Mexico especially the beaches in the Yucatan, but also a good connection via IST to markets like Israel, Levent, broader Mideast, CIS etc.

And you know that they are doing well on their other flights in Latin America? HAV-CCS is not doing well (that flight has more sinister motives).
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?


I don’t know how well the route is doing although TK load factor for LatAm keeps going up. I’d love to hear about those sinister motives though.
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 4105
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:19 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
And you know that they are doing well on their other flights in Latin America? HAV-CCS is not doing well (that flight has more sinister motives).
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?


Havana portion certainly is. It has reported high load factors, and route gaining additional frequency. Can't hurt TK received a contract for one of Germany's biggest travel agencies for its Cuba service.

Also Turks now travel the world. I have run into them recently in varied places like Brazil and Vietnam. They surely can also go explore and enjoy Mexico also.

TK management has shown us they are pretty smart at running their network and turning big profits, so they would not be entering Mexico if they did not perceive opportunity. Heck why cant Mexico not offer even more than Panama or Colombia for instance?
mercure f-wtcc
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Mexico will be fine. Its a market TK has wanted to enter long time ago.
As mentioned by others there is underlying demand for both local traffic between the nations (yes the beaches of Cancun will be a draw), and there will certainly be a substantial connection via IST as the other TK Latin America markets today.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 pm

mercure1 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
And you know that they are doing well on their other flights in Latin America? HAV-CCS is not doing well (that flight has more sinister motives).
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?


Havana portion certainly is. It has reported high load factors, and route gaining additional frequency. Can't hurt TK received a contract for one of Germany's biggest travel agencies for its Cuba service.

Also Turks now travel the world. I have run into them recently in varied places like Brazil and Vietnam. They surely can also go explore and enjoy Mexico also.

TK management has shown us they are pretty smart at running their network and turning big profits, so they would not be entering Mexico if they did not perceive opportunity. Heck why cant Mexico not offer even more than Panama or Colombia for instance?

Sounds like stellar yields :roll:
For the umpteenth time on this forum: good load factors do not equal good profits.
 
Jetty
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:44 am

mercure1 wrote:
Also Turks now travel the world. I have run into them recently in varied places like Brazil and Vietnam. They surely can also go explore and enjoy Mexico also.

Could would apply better to most Turks with the economy in recession and the Lira dropping like a rock; foreign vacations got much more expensive.
 
EddieDude
Posts: 6898
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:48 am

LAXintl wrote:
Yes already posted in Turkish aviation thread with the planned schedule.

From the aforementioned thread:

TK 181 ..3.5.7 IST 20:55 4:10 MEX +1
TK 181 1..4.6. MEX 05:30 7:50 CUN
TK 181 1..4.6. CUN 09:20 5:25 IST +1

787-9.
Upcoming AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), UX CUN-MAD A332 (Y), KL MAD-AMS 739 (J), AM AMS-MEX 788 (J).
 
pzurita1
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:59 am

That is great and sweet news. I have been waiting for this flight for the last 5 years.

Flights are already loaded in the website.
Fares are not that bad, but far from the great deals TK used to have when entering new markets. However, US$1,200 for MEX-TBS returning from GYD-MEX seems a fair price.

A filight from CUN-IST-CUN at US$935 is not bad either, but not the super promo expected for an introductory route.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT
 
LH658
Topic Author
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 am

lhrsfosyd wrote:
LH658 wrote:
Lot of Mexican jews that go to Israel, usually connect on to IAH via Aero Mexico/United then to IST - TLV.


I can assure you they usually connect, whatever that means, with one stop options.


Been on TK 33/34 several times, lot of IKA pax and TLV pax, TLV pax either coming down from south or big tour groups. Of course I am sure many of them take 1 stop options like BA, AF, LH, KL, IB, and etc.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 am

This route is not about CUN. It's purely about MEX.

If MEX was at sea level instead of at 7,300ft, MEX-IST would be flown non stop as well. CUN is nothing more than a tech stop. Sure, TK will leverage the Yucatan beach destination as much as it can, but that is not what will make this flight profitable.

Speaking of profits, in MEX, TK will face stiffer competition than at HAV, CCS, or PTY, as BA, AF, LH, KL and IB all offer at least daily service to MEX from their hubs. This will put TK at a disadvantage, as they will offer less frequency, and a one-stop service eastbound to Europe. There is also the fact that Mexicans need a visa to visit Turkey. That is not the case at most other European countries. Pricing, as usual, will be key to attract the Mexican crowd towards TK.

Will be interesting to see how they will perform on this route.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
pzurita1
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
There is also the fact that Mexicans need a visa to visit Turkey. That is not the case at most other European countries. Will be interesting to see how TK will perform on this route.


Not a real problem as e-visa is available for Mexicans for free. It takes no more than 5min to issue.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT
 
pzurita1
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
There is also the fact that Mexicans need a visa to visit Turkey. That is not the case at most other European countries. Will be interesting to see how TK will perform on this route.


Not a real problem as e-visa is available for Mexicans for free. It takes no more than 5min to issue.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT
 
dozerman
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:22 am

Is the tag to CUN technically necessary? Both AM and NH fly MEX-NRT non stop with the 788. That route is 100 miles shorter but flies westbound, so should have a longer average flight time. Is the 788 better for hot and high airports than the 789?
 
SCQ83
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:47 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?


I disagree with saying this flight is only about MEX. Cancún today is a global beach destination which also combines some "basic culture" (Mayan ruins). E.g. checking Wikipedia shows there are at least three carriers offering charter flights from Moscow to Cancún. The world today is way more global, so people from anywhere visit anywhere else (the fact that for instance a lot of Spaniards today fly to Thailand or Bali while there are many more beaches closer).

I don't think it will be also necessarily about Turkey to Cancún. TK is very good at connecting small spots in Eastern Europe or CIS. If some well-off people from Belgrade, Astana or Baku fancy a holiday in Cancún, there are not many choices. TK now offers this.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:59 am

pzurita1 wrote:
That is great and sweet news. I have been waiting for this flight for the last 5 years.

Flights are already loaded in the website.
Fares are not that bad, but far from the great deals TK used to have when entering new markets. However, US$1,200 for MEX-TBS returning from GYD-MEX seems a fair price.

A filight from CUN-IST-CUN at US$935 is not bad either, but not the super promo expected for an introductory route.


TK TATL out of Europe usually offers rock bottom J fares, when I say rock bottom I'm saying at least 1000 EUR less than the next cheaper option but of course you have to be willing to take a huge backtrack. Every time I'm booking it comes that way.

Would be interesting to check J fares out of MEX to see how are they pricing it

Thenoflyzone wrote:
This route is not about CUN. It's purely about MEX.

Speaking of profits, in MEX, TK will face stiffer competition than at HAV, CCS, or PTY, as BA, AF, LH, KL and IB all offer at least daily service to MEX from their hubs. This will put TK at a disadvantage, as they will offer less frequency, and a one-stop service eastbound to Europe. There is also the fact that Mexicans need a visa to visit Turkey. That is not the case at most other European countries. Pricing, as usual, will be key to attract the Mexican crowd towards TK.

Will be interesting to see how they will perform on this route.


Worthy to mention that if the highly anticipated EK DXB-BCN-MEX becomes a reality it will make TK operation even more challenging.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
SCQ83
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 am

Couldn't EK also fly DXB-CUN-MEX?
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Couldn't EK also fly DXB-CUN-MEX?

Yes, but DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB would make more sense if they wish to take payload along.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Speaking of profits, in MEX, TK will face stiffer competition than at HAV, CCS, or PTY, as BA, AF, LH, KL and IB all offer at least daily service to MEX from their hubs. This will put TK at a disadvantage, as they will offer less frequency, and a one-stop service eastbound to Europe. .

Exactly. Another competitors will be AM, NH and HU with their nonstop and direct flights to NRT, PVG, PEK and ICN, something that none of BOG, PTY, CCS nor HAV has (well, technically, HAV does have 1x weekly PEK flights on CA, via YUL). In short, all of East and South East Asia is a lot closer going west from MEX than going via IST (or DXB). Going west, there are the direct flights I mentioned, as well as loads of cheap connections through LAX, SFO, DFW, etc. And before someone comments on it, Mexican business travellers usually have a US visa, so transiting is not an issue.
This means that what remains as a market for TK in MEX (and CUN) is Turkey, the Balkans, C.I.S., the Middle East, South Asia and Africa. None of that is traditionally markets with strong commercial, political or cultural ties to Mexico. I would love to see the numbers on the quality and quantity (yield and PDEW) of the passengers on these destinations.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:25 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
And before someone comments on it, Mexican business travellers usually have a US visa, so transiting is not an issue.


I read this statement about transitting in the US not being an issue just because you are a US visa holder very often in this forum, let me comment on it....

My opinion is that transitting in the US is not an issue but a PAIN when compared to somewhere else in Europe, this is why:

In some of the major european airports if you are transitting non-schengen to non-schengen you don't leave the secure zone.
In the airports where you have to clear inmigration, queues are expected to be ligther than in any US point of entry.
In the US you have to wait for your luggage to come off the carrousel, clear customs and recheck it, not the case all across Europe.
Last but not least, even even entering the US several times a year, the chances to be called for additional screening are much higher than anywhere else (personal experience).

Having said that, unless I get a real bargain fare I'd never transit through the US if have another reasonable option.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:32 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
And before someone comments on it, Mexican business travellers usually have a US visa, so transiting is not an issue.


I read this statement about transitting in the US not being an issue just because you are a US visa holder very often in this forum, let me comment on it....

My opinion is that transitting in the US is not an issue but a PAIN when compared to somewhere else in Europe, this is why:

In some of the major european airports if you are transitting non-schengen to non-schengen you don't leave the secure zone.
In the airports where you have to clear inmigration, queues are expected to be ligther than in any US point of entry.
In the US you have to wait for your luggage to come off the carrousel, clear customs and recheck it, not the case all across Europe.
Last but not least, even even entering the US several times a year, the chances to be called for additional screening are much higher than anywhere else (personal experience).

Having said that, unless I get a real bargain fare I'd never transit through the US if have another reasonable option.

Sure, but if your options are a 15 hour trip from MEX through the US, or a 30-35 hour trip through IST (to places like TPE, HKG, MNL, for example), then that hassle at the US port of entry is worth the while.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
And Turks have no beaches nearer by than Cancún??
As for Mexico-Middle East / C.I.S. traffic: what is the yield x volume?


I disagree with saying this flight is only about MEX. Cancún today is a global beach destination which also combines some "basic culture" (Mayan ruins). E.g. checking Wikipedia shows there are at least three carriers offering charter flights from Moscow to Cancún. The world today is way more global, so people from anywhere visit anywhere else (the fact that for instance a lot of Spaniards today fly to Thailand or Bali while there are many more beaches closer).

I don't think it will be also necessarily about Turkey to Cancún. TK is very good at connecting small spots in Eastern Europe or CIS. If some well-off people from Belgrade, Astana or Baku fancy a holiday in Cancún, there are not many choices. TK now offers this.


Charter flights (most often sold by tour operators) are one thing. Scheduled flights are another. The airlines flying those charter flights are getting paid regardless if the plane is full or not. That is not the case with TK.

Second, Spaniards have more disposable income than Turks do (or people from the C.I.S and Eastern Europe), and Thailand is relatively cheap compared to CUN.

Your point isn't really valid. First and foremost, CUN is a tech stop. Period. TK most likely tried to get another intermediate stop in Europe somewhere, to no avail, and had to settle for CUN.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm

dozerman wrote:
Is the tag to CUN technically necessary? Both AM and NH fly MEX-NRT non stop with the 788. That route is 100 miles shorter but flies westbound, so should have a longer average flight time. Is the 788 better for hot and high airports than the 789?


NH uses a premium heavy B788, with only 169 seats to MEX. Thrust/weight ratio on that frame is much higher than TK's B789, hence the ability to fly non stop.

NH B788 - 169 seats
AM B788 - 243 seats
TK B789 - 300 seats

300 passengers is a lot of weight to carry, hence the need to stop enroute to IST.

At hot and high airports, it's all about thrust/weight ratio. The higher the ratio, the easier it is to takeoff.

If TK scheduled a stop in CUN, it's because MEX-IST can't be flown non stop with adequate payload on the B789. Taking off from MEX with a reduced payload is not an option, since TK will need to fill all those seats if it stands a chance to make money on the route.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
hohd
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:18 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
And before someone comments on it, Mexican business travellers usually have a US visa, so transiting is not an issue.


I read this statement about transitting in the US not being an issue just because you are a US visa holder very often in this forum, let me comment on it....

My opinion is that transitting in the US is not an issue but a PAIN when compared to somewhere else in Europe, this is why:

In some of the major european airports if you are transitting non-schengen to non-schengen you don't leave the secure zone.
In the airports where you have to clear inmigration, queues are expected to be ligther than in any US point of entry.
In the US you have to wait for your luggage to come off the carrousel, clear customs and recheck it, not the case all across Europe.
Last but not least, even even entering the US several times a year, the chances to be called for additional screening are much higher than anywhere else (personal experience).

Having said that, unless I get a real bargain fare I'd never transit through the US if have another reasonable option.


On many international to international connections, the luggage is checked through, however US Customs can spot check and ask the passenger to be there if it warrants further examination. This is mainly on flights on the same airline though like Air China from Panama via IAH or Air NZ through LAX to LHR. However all passengers have to clear immigration and that can be big pain and even 30 hr flight is worth it especially if it is signficantly cheaper.
 
Galwayman
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.



Istanbul is a global super hub and Mexico City is a mega city , this will be a success even if it never carries a single Turkish or Mexican citizen on any of the flights
 
SCQ83
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Charter flights (most often sold by tour operators) are one thing. Scheduled flights are another. The airlines flying those charter flights are getting paid regardless if the plane is full or not. That is not the case with TK.

Your point isn't really valid. First and foremost, CUN is a tech stop. Period. TK most likely tried to get another intermediate stop in Europe somewhere, to no avail, and had to settle for CUN.


There are PLENTY of travel agencies in Spain (or anywhere else in Western Europe) that use Turkish Airlines for many destinations in CIS, Asia or ME. Because obviously there is no market case to charter a flight from Valencia to Tashkent (TK flying at least daily to both cities) for a 15-day route of Uzbekistan and Central Asia. So I can easily imagine that in those places like Skopje, Astana or Baku where 1) people probably use more travel agencies and 2) TK is way more stronger, agencies will easily sell packages to Cancun with TK.

Your point isn't really valid.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Galwayman wrote:
TheLion wrote:
So it’s finally gonna happen at last. Due to minimal ties and a plethora of other connecting options, this is unlikely to be a popular or busy route for a long time though, however 3-4 weekly should work.



Istanbul is a global super hub and Mexico City is a mega city , this will be a success even if it never carries a single Turkish or Mexican citizen on any of the flights

Most ignorant comment of the day. By that logic, a flight from, say, Dhaka to Atlanta is a slam dunk, right?
 
x1234
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:45 pm

I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 pm

hohd wrote:
On many international to international connections, the luggage is checked through, however US Customs can spot check and ask the passenger to be there if it warrants further examination. This is mainly on flights on the same airline though like Air China from Panama via IAH or Air NZ through LAX to LHR. However all passengers have to clear immigration and that can be big pain and even 30 hr flight is worth it especially if it is signficantly cheaper.


I guess the connections where luggage can be checked through are not on same airline but on the same flight, therefore it's the same aircraft. I can count these cases with my fingers.

My experience has been connecting UA to UA at IAH (Europe to CentralAm and v/v) and have had to pick up from the carrousel, go through the customs agent and reckeck on the UA transit counters.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
Charter flights (most often sold by tour operators) are one thing. Scheduled flights are another. The airlines flying those charter flights are getting paid regardless if the plane is full or not. That is not the case with TK.

Your point isn't really valid. First and foremost, CUN is a tech stop. Period. TK most likely tried to get another intermediate stop in Europe somewhere, to no avail, and had to settle for CUN.


There are PLENTY of travel agencies in Spain (or anywhere else in Western Europe) that use Turkish Airlines for many destinations in CIS, Asia or ME. Because obviously there is no market case to charter a flight from Valencia to Tashkent (TK flying at least daily to both cities) for a 15-day route of Uzbekistan and Central Asia. So I can easily imagine that in those places like Skopje, Astana or Baku where 1) people probably use more travel agencies and 2) TK is way more stronger, agencies will easily sell packages to Cancun with TK.

Your point isn't really valid.

Ever heard of the concept of yield? That it is not enough to fill a plane (not even consistently, which your hypothetical tour groups will never do) to make money? Especially on a 16-hour flight with a tech stop (translation: it is expensive to operate).
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:54 pm

x1234 wrote:
I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.

Maybe because they don't care for losing money?
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 700
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm

x1234 wrote:
I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.


EK is looking to fly DXB-BCN-MEX with 5th freedom on BCN-MEX, IMO much better business sense than CUN.

MalevTU134 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.

Maybe because they don't care for losing money?


I'm not going to call your comment ignorant, but it's clear to me EK has a better chance to loose money by flying DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB than DXB-BCN-MEX with 5th freedom BCN-MEX-BCN.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763, 732,733,735,737,738,739,752,722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M83,M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,333,343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,
E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8,CS1,CS3
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.


EK is looking to fly DXB-BCN-MEX with 5th freedom on BCN-MEX, IMO much better business sense than CUN.

MalevTU134 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I don't understand why EK doesnt' start DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB. The new runway at Cancun is longer than at Fort Lauderdale where a B77W can takeoff non-stop to Dubai.

Maybe because they don't care for losing money?


I'm not going to call your comment ignorant, but it's clear to me EK has a better chance to loose money by flying DXB-MEX-CUN-DXB than DXB-BCN-MEX with 5th freedom BCN-MEX-BCN.

Maybe. But BCN-MEX is no gold mine, or IB, UX and AM would be all over it.. and they are not. It has been tried and dropped. Sure, BCN will help put butts in seats, but will do nothing to help the yield of the flight. And DXB gives even less options for meaningful connections than does IST, from MEX. It is basically Gulf region, South Asia and East and Southern Africa, without heavy backtracking. And that will be with 2 stops, whereas the competition does most of it 1-stop.
 
razokamek
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Well, let's wait if TK doesn't drop this route like the plans of EK last year.
 
dodgers702
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:01 pm

razokamek wrote:
Well, let's wait if TK doesn't drop this route like the plans of EK last year.


Well EK dropped it because they didn't get the slots for a daily service. Only got 3 weekly which is what TK wants.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 1709
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
razokamek wrote:
Well, let's wait if TK doesn't drop this route like the plans of EK last year.


Well EK dropped it because they didn't get the slots for a daily service. Only got 3 weekly which is what TK wants.

EK has daily slots now, nothing holds them back....except common sense.
 
2travel2know2
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Kudos to TK on a route it was looking to start for quite some time.
The flight is about MEX but that CUN stop will do fine as well.
Positive note about that awful MEX departure time, at that time passengers need to check-in for the TK flight, Mexico City has no traffic jams.
I'm not on CM's payroll.
 
dodgers702
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:35 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
razokamek wrote:
Well, let's wait if TK doesn't drop this route like the plans of EK last year.


Well EK dropped it because they didn't get the slots for a daily service. Only got 3 weekly which is what TK wants.

EK has daily slots now, nothing holds them back....except common sense.



Yes, they do know as of late last month. According to reports, they are only awaiting maintenance upgrade at the airport and green light from airport officials to start flights within slot approved hours for their daily flight. Lets see what happens.
 
Flightsimboy
Posts: 1729
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm

Re: TK starting MEX and CUN

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:22 pm

As EK has come up in this thread, TK is the new EK and this route proves where EK just cannot do it TK did. Wow Turkish is also now going to be in Mexico City.

With the new airport and 787s and A350s this year it won't be long before they are Down Under too and a whole new line of destinations. Love Turkish and wish them all the best.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos