enilria

Re: JetBlue does it need to be saved from its management?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
I think you also have to include SFO as a problem airport.

My point was that an entire region of huge airports are impacted simultaneously when there are problems. SFO is just an airport with its own operational (fog) challenges. It is not a region of large airports with conjoined operational problems.

nine4nine

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 pm

stlgph wrote:
You think *ANY* airline will trade off *ANY* gates at LAX?

Oh man....this place never fails.

I said merely creative thinking!

Just throwing out scenarios where B6 could slightly lessen its dependence in the northeast and find a way to get a foot in the door somewhere out west with high yield.

Who knows. Who’d of thought that DL would make such a fuss about getting into DAL. In this biz anything is possible. LGA is extremely sought after. LAX is not slot controlled and much easier to access.
Last edited by nine4nine on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Galvan316

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 pm

fastmover wrote:
Galvan316 wrote:
All these points of view make me a new customer of B6 (Flying ORD-FLL) in May not necessarily nervous, but a little bit concerned.

I am in no way an expert in airline operations, or anything but just as your average Joe Public Flyer, Im concerned.

My wife and I are very loyal AA customers, but due to our schedule will be taking B6 in May, stories and summaries like those that I am reading make me cringe

You will be just fine. The only problem with ORD is we have 1 gate with many flights. If AA pushes back a wide body we have to wait. Again this is more about the top guys not the employees. I think everyone still likes JetBlue they just worry about it’s current direction. It’s like being married and telling your spouse hey you need to pay attention to the relationship and they are like everything is fine. You can’t keep going like that.

Thank you,

I appreciate someone who obviously on the "front lines" telling me this.

My wife and I are not complainers, yet will trip over ourselves to tell management about excellent customer service and going above and beyond. We complain with our wallets when it goes the other way :)

Thank you again!
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

VS4ever

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
B6 needs to do one of two things:

1. It needs explosive growth (ie. AS)
2. It needs larger planes (ie. WS)

Nope because of a number of reasons.

1. We've seen what happens to airlines that expand way too fast, it doesn't generally end well
2. The all core 321 is a pretty big plane at 200 seats, the 220's coming will have more seats than the 190's they are replacing, even the Mint 321's have more seats than the 320's, although that will change once the retrofits are done. If you mean WB's, can I refer you to WW, who tried that trick and please see #1
3. Wall Street will puke all over it.
4. We know how many planes B6 is getting through 2025, they could of course order more or convert the options on the 60 220's they have from 2025, but with 13 coming in 2019, there's not going to be a huge case for expansion. BOS will grow, per an early comment i made and they will move these new 321neos into the places that can use the additional capacity quickly to improve profitability. The 220's will help the bottom line as they switch out, but there's only 5 coming in 2020, so that's not going to move the needle that much.. Over time, absolutely, short term not so much.

Looking at B6's financials, they are pretty solid on the Balance sheet side, but the P&L side right now is where the concerns are, even if you remove the impact of the 190 impairment charges, profits are still down year over year. Hence why all the posters are concerned about management direction. Cost Cutting can only get you so far and its rare that you realize all the intended cost savings on those projects, because other things crop up in return. To grow effectively, you need a number of things.
1. Great Product/Service - outwardly, people still like it, otherwise they wouldn't be travelling on B6 in the numbers that they do, when AA/UA/DL/WN/F9/NK all compete. Inwardly however there are challenges here, which are going to impact outward views if not managed appropriately.
2. Strategic Direction - I'll let the B6 insiders discuss this one, you need it, the company needs to be aware of it, and you have to action it. My company did this a couple of years ago finally and it was like a breath of fresh air, still have issues even now, but at least we are on the same bus going the same direction, to coin an appropriate phrase we use. "don't try to build the plane while you are trying to fly it"
3. Logistics - In this business Logistics is everything, from cabin crew rostering, to food service, to maintenance schedules, to Irrops, if you don't have that smoothly, that's going to cause you issues
4. space - we all know about the challenges of that in certain places.

There's more, but you get the point. You grow organically or by acquisition, Organically will be limited by the # of planes you can bring into service and the demands of Wall Street for cost control and increased revenue generation to improve profits for shareholders. The latter, well, that's been discussed to death, but here's my take on it. IF there have been conversations in the background, I could see this.

Moxy gets going in 2021, give it 4-5 years to have a track record, Neeleman folds it under B6 in 2026, by that point, B6 will have replaced their E190's will have transitioned they core 320's to 162 seats and brought in a bunch of 321's for capacity growth all the way around. I don't know if there is a planned 320 retirement schedule, but lets assume for a minute a 2:1 new to retirement ratio on those, so that means about a 40 increase up to 2025. With 253 by year end (249 at 9/30 plus 4 to deliver in 2018), that means that organically they could be around 300 aircraft by the end of 2025.
Fold in Moxy's aircraft in 2026, which will give you another 60, plus they exercise the start of the 60 options for the 220's (say 5 in 2026) and now you are at 360+
Based on AS's filings, which are constructed a little differently, by estimate is by 2023 they could be around 370 or so, based on retirement schedules, because although they have 30 cancelable 320 neos, I am sure those will get swtiched to 737's as a result, so they have plenty on order to make the difference.

Basically on a fleet to fleet basis, I could see AS and B6 using this methodology being very similar in size and why people think AS could be the 3rd part of the deal, IF and it's a big IF you put those 3 together and be roughly at 700 aircraft , they wouldn't be at the size of WN, but it would be a hell of a lot closer.

I'm not in the merger camp, far from it, although i do think a B6/Moxy merger might be workable, but I can see why people might think this would work (union and seniority issues aside)
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Planeboy17

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Blueknows wrote:
Ok please stop saying hub. Jetblue has focus cities. Being an employee I know B6 is not in the business of connecting customers. So get this Midwest expansion and big hub in AUS stuff outta your head. They promoted Joanne G because of her lawyer background. They want to have one in the room when a merger is being rolled out. Yah our right about the Robin leaving. At B6 we’ve been see that writing on the wall for awhile. B6 will start shifting more point to point when our new terminal is opened in MCO. That’s when you’ll see B6 drop jfk-northeast flights and do directs to MCO. They need to make room for Jfk Europe flights. Also the JFK terminal expansion will bring more international airlines into T5 terminal. We need to stick to what works and just change back to 1 fleet type. What has led to our demise is the two aircraft system.

Um, the 190 has done a great job in growing BOS.
And AA is still flying theirs.
The 190 has had a myriad of issues and can be economically and mx challenging but to say that it is the cause of B6’s problems is quite ridiculous.

Blueknows

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:25 pm

Are you kidding the planes are broken in a daily basis. Last week we had 3 plane swaps due to mx issues

fastmover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:29 pm

LawnDart wrote:
enilria wrote:
LawnDart wrote:
It is also indicative that jetBlue's operational performance is, in fact, "really their fault". And that management needs to start managing...

Do you understand the math of it?

I was the manager of Operational Performance at one of the "Big Three". I have a passing knowledge of math...

IPFreely wrote:
The "facts" are comparing on time performance of Delta mainline only, American mainline only, and JetBlue. Since JetBlue operates all of their own flights and doesn't have underperforming regional airlines to hide behind, it's misleading. Adding in Delta Connection and American Eagle shows the difference between the airlines is negligible, and considering it is data for one month only, the difference is non-existent. Airlines, most notably Delta, like to tout stats claiming how great they are. But Delta being #1 (mainline only) is no consolation to passengers on Delta Connection flights that were delayed and cancelled to protect the mainline results.

I completely agree that there is no consolation to passengers for poor on-time performance. So, in deference to them and you, the following statistics include what are called "Branded Codeshare Partners" by the Air Travel Consumer Report.

JFK YTD ended Oct, 2018 (this involved a lot of math (see above)(weighted averages), so I hope the two of you appreciate it.)

AA 21028 flights @ 74.5
DL 47897 flgiths @ 78.4
B6 36051 flights @ 70.9

If we look at YTD System:
AA 77.1 Rank: 7 out of 10
DL 83.1 Rank: 3
B6 70.6 Rank: 9 (out of 10)

and just for comparison (again, System YTD)

AS 83.2 Rank: 2 (impressive considering SEA / SFO / LAX / Trans Con)
NK 80.6 Rank: 4 (also impressive based on their efforts to improve)
F9 68.8 Rank: 10

The fact of the matter is, all airlines need to take into account things like geography, weather, high-density rules airports, ATC, staffing, turn times, block time reliability and on and on, when planning to operate a system of flights to the best of their ability and to the benefit of their customers (see NK).

At one point, DL was among the most unreliable airlines in the industry measured by on-time performance and completion factor. Their management team made the decision to stop being sh!tty, and they implemented a plan and followed through with it. Kudos to the entire team at Delta!

MSPNWA wrote:
Misleading, but yeah, facts.

Lies...damn lies...statistics...

I can parse the data from today thru forever, and you guys can reply "Yeah, but Gorsuch", so I'm not really sure what else I can do. Besides, my brain hurts from doing all this math and my pencil is now a stub, so...bye.

Keeping in mind the environment they operate in (their choice) and the effort they are willing to apply to the problem (their choice) for the sake of their customers and employees (their choice), it would appear jetBlue management needs to start managing.

Their choice.

This.

How did NK go from pretty bad to one of the better on time airlines how about Delta.

It’s not just about employees smiling more. It’s about management....full stop

stlgph

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I'm not in the merger camp, far from it, although i do think a B6/Moxy merger might be workable, but I can see why people might think this would work (union and seniority issues aside)
[/quote]

"I do think a B6/Moxy merger might be workable."

Holy. Flipping. Christ.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ScottB

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:39 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
You cannot fly the majority of your trips in the Northeast, and not expect horrible on-times, especially after the summer we just had. JFK and LGA are delay creators almost daily, through no fault of JB’s.

enilria wrote:
So what you are really saying is that if the FAA can't fix the Northeast air traffic problem that JetBlue should merge, because there is no way for them to fix it without shoveling money at it for airplanes to sit around all day as spares while there competitors don't need to.

Well, what they do apparently need is more spares sitting around BOS and JFK, or at the very least more realistic block/turn times. Yeah, that does increase capital costs for aircraft and labor costs for longer block times, but the schedule they're trying to fly is obviously not something they can manage reliably. Running a chronically delayed operation has costs, too, and it doesn't say to the customers that they're offering a "premium" product.

IPFreely wrote:
The "facts" are comparing on time performance of Delta mainline only, American mainline only, and JetBlue. Since JetBlue operates all of their own flights and doesn't have underperforming regional airlines to hide behind, it's misleading. Adding in Delta Connection and American Eagle shows the difference between the airlines is negligible, and considering it is data for one month only, the difference is non-existent. Airlines, most notably Delta, like to tout stats claiming how great they are. But Delta being #1 (mainline only) is no consolation to passengers on Delta Connection flights that were delayed and cancelled to protect the mainline results.

But it's not just one month only. I went back six months (May to October 2018) and compared B6 to DL (mainline, DL Connection, and combined) at BOS, JFK, LGA, and DCA. Out of 72 possible data points (3 DL on-time percentages times four airports times six months), B6 only beat DL (the DL Connection number each time) twice: by 0.4 percentage points at DCA in October and 1.3 points at LGA in August. In June, DL Connection was a whopping 10 points higher (75.9% vs. 65.9%) than B6 at LGA! Passengers are still far less likely to be delayed on DL Connection than they are on B6. And FWIW, systemwide, DL Connection would have been the #5 carrier for on-time year-to-date if it were tracked separately, not to mention over 9 points above B6.

N649DL wrote:
Personally, I'm all for B6 merging with UAL. They get a true southern hub, major Int'l presence (thanks to UAL), and would get back JFK. If it ever were to happen they'd have to release gates at EWR I'm sure.

I'm baffled by the idea that UA would give up anything at EWR in a hypothetical (and highly unlikely) merger with B6. The EWR hub is enormously profitable thanks to being the only consolidated domestic and international hub in the region. DL is doing the best with what they've have, with operations split between LGA and JFK, but it's still not as good as the EWR hub when something like GSO-TLV requires a double-connect or a cab ride on the Van Wyck. What UA wants at JFK is something like 15-20 daily operations so they can offer LAX/SFO-JFK in corporate contracts where the customer cares about which NYC airport is served. That's it. Neither FLL nor MCO is a "true southern hub." FLL is a decent gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America (but not as good as MIA) while MCO is leisure central. They're both terrible for connections within the Southeast -- they'd be better off geographically using IAD or IAH for that purpose. Using MSY-RDU as an example, even MSY-IAH-RDU is shorter than MSY-FLL-RDU while MSY-IAD-RDU is much shorter.

enilria wrote:
My point was that an entire region of huge airports are impacted simultaneously when there are problems. SFO is just an airport with its own operational (fog) challenges. It is not a region of large airports with conjoined operational problems.

And it's a reasonable point, but it's also a known quantity. Those airports get so much service because the flying is lucrative, but costs are going to be higher. I think B6 is inevitably going to have to be willing to absorb higher costs if they want to run a reliable operation. Just throwing their hands up and saying "Weather!" or "ATC!" won't solve the problem. Yeah, on good weather days they'll have planes/crews sitting around for longer than necessary, but that's the cost of doing business.

flyby519 wrote:
I like the rumor of giving the entire LGB operation (terminal, slots) to WN in exchange for a few gates in LAX (and/or SFO) so B6 can expand Mint transcons. Realistically, LGB wants short haul daylight flights from LGB and WN is a better carrier to provide that vs B6. Additionally, B6 just wants to grow transcons, which isn't something WN focuses on at all. It would be in WN's interest to help B6 expand Mint transcons in order to put more pressure on AS (WN's closest competitor for short haul intra-west flying).

The chance of this happening is basically zero; WN makes a bunch of money on its short-haul operations at LAX. WN is in the catbird's seat, too: It's obvious that LGB either loses money or underperforms the rest of the B6 network, and the B6 operation isn't profitable enough to subsidize LGB long-term. Plus Long Beach has already moved to make the use-it-or-lose-it provisions attached to the slots more restrictive; that means B6 will have to dump more money into LGB by ramping up service again or face WN competing with more overlapping service. All WN really needs to do is wait, and they are very patient.

IMO B6's only realistic shot of growing at LAX would be the risky move of committing a couple of billion dollars to a T0 or T9 project.

VS4ever

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm

stlgph wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

"I do think a B6/Moxy merger might be workable."

Holy. Flipping. Christ.[/quote]

Sorry, that's what I get for trying to multi-task and if that's all that you got out of my post, oh well. Anyway, let me clarify.

1. Yes, I am not a merger fan, I do not want B6 to merge with anyone of a larger size, like AS/AA/UA etc. etc. I believe it would be terrible for the industry if we lost another carrier of this size.

2. I only see a B6/Moxy version down the road, kind of like AS did with VX, and only because of the Neeleman potential connection, it would be a great way for B6 to build some extra economies of scale as a result, as testified by the fleet size conversation and if Neeleman does happen to make it work, then why not, you would have a low cost business to add shareholder value and let's not forget, we can talk about all the other stuff at issue, but ultimately it's about $$ in shareholders pockets. Period.

3. Do I think this is likely to happen, who knows, 7 years (remember I am not thinking anything until 2026 at the earliest) is a long time in any industry particularly aviation. I just believe that it would bring parity to AS in terms of sizing and if the management issues get sorted out along with the current cost control and revenue plans, then it might give them that extra push.

But anyway...i hope that answers your clear frustration with my post. It's just my point of view and there are plenty of others here that are just as important. I just call it as I see it, if you disagree with that assessment fine by me,
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

enilria

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm

ScottB wrote:
enilria wrote:
So what you are really saying is that if the FAA can't fix the Northeast air traffic problem that JetBlue should merge, because there is no way for them to fix it without shoveling money at it for airplanes to sit around all day as spares while there competitors don't need to.

Sure, then they are at a massive cost disadvantage to the legacy carriers. Spares and lets not forget you need crews too, cost a lot of money just sitting around. This is why the traditional dedicated BOS-LGA-DCA shuttles with spares are gone. Frankly, they have already have taken steps by upping those costs, but it would be simply impossible to get to numbers like non-Northeast-centric airlines have. This is a completely different story than somebody like F9 whose problems are self-made.

Miamiairport

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Wall Street is pressuring B6 on profit margins. Mint will only work on certain routes. So it's being forced to try to be some kind of ULCC/full service airline hybrid. In theory if B6 were privately owned the airline probably could but it has large shareholder groups that want Spirit type margins. A lot of talk about a merger but who would be the partner. Alaska isn't ready and a legacy would face antitrust. I'm not sure the ULCCs would have an interest. Possibly HA.

cledaybuck

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:50 pm

enilria wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:
I think you also have to include SFO as a problem airport.

Don't you have to include IAD and BWI then? Surely they are in the same region as DCA. Here are the top 5 on time airports for arrivals in 2018 through October:
1. SLC-85.65%
2. ATL-84.07%
3. DTW-83.84%
4. MSP-83.81%
5. PDX-83.29%
Notice a trend? I do. DL has made a commitment to being on time. B6 needs to do the same if they want to improve. It will most likely never be as good given the constraints you have mentioned, but improvement is certainly possible.

Blueknows

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 pm

So it’s not American that has e190 its piedmont. They fly for American and B6 is getting 1 a220 in 2020. The aircraft will arrive in August and be in service of November 2020. Unless trois rivers and Mobile start cranking them out faster.

MSPNWA

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 pm

enilria wrote:
ScottB wrote:
enilria wrote:

Sure, then they are at a massive cost disadvantage to the legacy carriers. Spares and lets not forget you need crews too, cost a lot of money just sitting around. This is why the traditional dedicated BOS-LGA-DCA shuttles with spares are gone. Frankly, they have already have taken steps by upping those costs, but it would be simply impossible to get to numbers like non-Northeast-centric airlines have. This is a completely different story than somebody like F9 whose problems are self-made.

And it would do little to nothing to reduce the root cause of airway and airport congestion. To top it off, if B6 reduced utilization and subsequently capacity, in a heartbeat its competitors would fill the gap, keep the airways jammed, and do more harm to B6's financials.

Blueknows

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 pm

They say American flys them buts it’s piedmont(wholly owned subsidiary). Remember Aligany...memories

USAirKid

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Blueknows wrote:
So it’s not American that has e190 its piedmont. They fly for American and B6 is getting 1 a220 in 2020. The aircraft will arrive in August and be in service of November 2020. Unless trois rivers and Mobile start cranking them out faster.

The E190 is operated by American Airlines Directly. They're on the certificate for AA:

They're hardly the only Embraer jets in the American Airlines system. Piedmont has the ERJ145.

evank516

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 pm

nine4nine wrote:
B6 needs a decent sized west coast focus city to offset the northeast issues of flow and weather. Most west coast airports are maxed out unfortunately.

Could B6 trade all of its slots at LGA to say AA, DL or even UA for gates at LAX and just focus entirely on JFK for its sole NYC operation. I know the LGA slots are extremely sought after and with the perimeter rule in place it really limits B6 on focusing on its bread and butter- International and Transcons. That way they can free up frames and get a foothold in the west while having both NYC area ops at mostly JFK and some with EWR?

Just some creative thinking......

B6 couldn't trade slots to AA or DL without a divestiture. DL is completely out. No one will allow DL that kind of deal at LaGuardia. AA has its share as well. No one will allow it.

sonicruiser wrote:
B6 needs to do one of two things:

1. It needs explosive growth (ie. AS)
2. It needs larger planes (ie. WS)

Explosive growth? You realize they closed three stations and downgraded one to seasonal on Monday, right?

impilot

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 pm

Blueknows wrote:

Dude you have absolutely torpedoed your credibility on here. What a joke.

VS4ever

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:46 pm

impilot wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Dude you have absolutely torpedoed your credibility on here. What a joke.

And unless it’s changed since October SEC filing B6 is getting 5 A220’s in 2020 not 1. It’s right there in blue and white. Page 30
http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... 0001158463

Bradin

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Steering the conversation back - yes, Jetblue's senior management needs to go. They aren't market leaders is eroding the company to be one of the other carriers. They can't make up their mind on who they want to be. A LCC, a LPC, a ULPC, a Big 3 competitors, etc.

heavymetal

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 pm

Blueknows wrote:
They say American flys them buts it’s piedmont(wholly owned subsidiary). Remember Aligany...memories

This is not correct. The E190's are owned and operated by American, not Piedmont or any regional subsidiary. US airline pilot contracts prohibit operating any aircraft with more than 76-seats at the regional subsidiaries.

Planeboy17 wrote:
Um, the 190 has done a great job in growing BOS.
And AA is still flying theirs.
The 190 has had a myriad of issues and can be economically and mx challenging but to say that it is the cause of B6’s problems is quite ridiculous.

The E190 is a partial cause of JetBlue's problems, not solely because of the poor aircraft economics, but largely because the cost of introducing and keeping a second fleet type is astronomical in this business. JetBlue would eliminate considerable cost and unlock significant operational efficiencies by moving to a single fleet type. The A220 will be more efficient than the E190, sure, but many of these issues will still persist by virtue of having the second fleet type. Separate pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, spare parts, services agreements, etc. JetBlue should be a single fleet type operator.

By the way, American Airlines is retiring their E190's in 2020, so while "still flying theirs" is correct, they are yet another carrier that will be retiring them before reaching age 15.

enilria wrote:

How can you claim the problems are not self-made, when the statistics from LawnDart below show that they are significantly worse than both AA and DL at JFK, even when including regionals? You are giving JetBlue a huge pass here. If being in the northeast is the sole reason of JetBlue's operational (and financial) under performance, then perhaps they should have looked elsewhere.

LawnDart wrote:
I completely agree that there is no consolation to passengers for poor on-time performance. So, in deference to them and you, the following statistics include what are called "Branded Codeshare Partners" by the Air Travel Consumer Report.

JFK YTD ended Oct, 2018 (this involved a lot of math (see above)(weighted averages), so I hope the two of you appreciate it.)

AA 21028 flights @ 74.5
DL 47897 flgiths @ 78.4
B6 36051 flights @ 70.9

ScottB

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
Wall Street is pressuring B6 on profit margins. Mint will only work on certain routes. So it's being forced to try to be some kind of ULCC/full service airline hybrid. In theory if B6 were privately owned the airline probably could but it has large shareholder groups that want Spirit type margins. A lot of talk about a merger but who would be the partner. Alaska isn't ready and a legacy would face antitrust. I'm not sure the ULCCs would have an interest. Possibly HA.

I think Wall Street would be happy if they were posting margins comparable to LUV, DAL, ALK, etc. They're not, and Wall Street won't be happy with growth if it puts pressure on margins, either.

enilria wrote:
Sure, then they are at a massive cost disadvantage to the legacy carriers. Spares and lets not forget you need crews too, cost a lot of money just sitting around. This is why the traditional dedicated BOS-LGA-DCA shuttles with spares are gone. Frankly, they have already have taken steps by upping those costs, but it would be simply impossible to get to numbers like non-Northeast-centric airlines have.

Right, but then they're presumably in the Northeast markets because the yields are better there, too. If they can't make money and run a reliable operation then eventually something is going to give. If they want to go to LHR, they're going to need to do a better job than they have with not busting the LGB curfew since there are penalties for going off slot too often.

MSPNWA wrote:
And it would do little to nothing to reduce the root cause of airway and airport congestion. To top it off, if B6 reduced utilization and subsequently capacity, in a heartbeat its competitors would fill the gap, keep the airways jammed, and do more harm to B6's financials.

I think there are a number of places they could trim the operation while continuing to operate with similar frequency in their core East Coast markets.

N757ST

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Blueknows wrote:

The AMR e90s are mainline, not piedmont.

There are 5, not one a220 coming in the second half of 2020.

Blueknows

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:39 pm

That’s funny I was only in B6 meeting with senior management. What do they know right guess I need to get my ears checked

DDR

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 pm

All this talk of mergers makes me shake my head. We aren’t that far off from having “Ameriflot” in this country. There have been way too many mergers already. I just don’t understand why anyone would want to see another airline get absorbed.

heavymetal

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 pm

Blueknows wrote:
That’s funny I was only in B6 meeting with senior management. What do they know right guess I need to get my ears checked

Unless you're leaking confidential information about an upcoming A220 delivery deferral, JetBlue has communicated 5x A220 deliveries in 2020.

http://blueir.investproductions.com/~/media/Files/J/Jetblue-IR-V2/reports-and-presentations/replacement-and-fleet-update.pdf

VS4ever

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 am

heavymetal wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Unless you're leaking confidential information about an upcoming A220 delivery deferral, JetBlue has communicated 5x A220 deliveries in 2020.

http://blueir.investproductions.com/~/media/Files/J/Jetblue-IR-V2/reports-and-presentations/replacement-and-fleet-update.pdf

and this is when this site needs a like button :bigthumbsup: :box:

fastmover
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am

Blueknows wrote:

Yes and you also told us there would be a major leadership announcement yet there wasn’t.
Sorry buddy I doubt they told you we are deferring 220s

heavymetal

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 am

VS4ever wrote:
heavymetal wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

To be fair, Blueknows could well be right. Historically JetBlue has been in a neverending order-defer-order-defer cycle, so it could very well come to pass that they do defer these. But they have not communicated any such idea publicly yet, so either Blueknows does in fact have a seat at the senior management table, and is sharing this information before it's been made public, or he was incorrect when discussing their delivery stream. Time will tell.

fastmover
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 am

heavymetal wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
heavymetal wrote:

To be fair, Blueknows could well be right. Historically JetBlue has been in a neverending order-defer-order-defer cycle, so it could very well come to pass that they do defer these. But they have not communicated any such idea publicly yet, so either Blueknows does in fact have a seat at the senior management table, and is sharing this information before it's been made public, or he was incorrect when discussing their delivery stream. Time will tell.

Except he was totally wrong on his last call. I mean TOTALLY.

Interesting stock talk here with JetBlue being one of the analysts preferred stocks and cutting UA and Delta back.

https://m.benzinga.com/article/12958954

We got a little information about the new entertainment system going in this spring as the refresh more planes. Looks like it will be lighter and offer way more coverage and be easier to maintain. Good news there.

NYCVIE

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 am

heavymetal wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
heavymetal wrote:

That could be a possibility but Blueknows also says "They say American flys [the E190] buts it’s piedmont" so he may not be the best source of information. :shakehead:

N649DL

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 am

ScottB wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
You cannot fly the majority of your trips in the Northeast, and not expect horrible on-times, especially after the summer we just had. JFK and LGA are delay creators almost daily, through no fault of JB’s.

But it's not just one month only. I went back six months (May to October 2018) and compared B6 to DL (mainline, DL Connection, and combined) at BOS, JFK, LGA, and DCA. Out of 72 possible data points (3 DL on-time percentages times four airports times six months), B6 only beat DL (the DL Connection number each time) twice: by 0.4 percentage points at DCA in October and 1.3 points at LGA in August. In June, DL Connection was a whopping 10 points higher (75.9% vs. 65.9%) than B6 at LGA! Passengers are still far less likely to be delayed on DL Connection than they are on B6. And FWIW, systemwide, DL Connection would have been the #5 carrier for on-time year-to-date if it were tracked separately, not to mention over 9 points above B6.

N649DL wrote:
Personally, I'm all for B6 merging with UAL. They get a true southern hub, major Int'l presence (thanks to UAL), and would get back JFK. If it ever were to happen they'd have to release gates at EWR I'm sure.

I'm baffled by the idea that UA would give up anything at EWR in a hypothetical (and highly unlikely) merger with B6. The EWR hub is enormously profitable thanks to being the only consolidated domestic and international hub in the region. DL is doing the best with what they've have, with operations split between LGA and JFK, but it's still not as good as the EWR hub when something like GSO-TLV requires a double-connect or a cab ride on the Van Wyck. What UA wants at JFK is something like 15-20 daily operations so they can offer LAX/SFO-JFK in corporate contracts where the customer cares about which NYC airport is served. That's it. Neither FLL nor MCO is a "true southern hub." FLL is a decent gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America (but not as good as MIA) while MCO is leisure central. They're both terrible for connections within the Southeast -- they'd be better off geographically using IAD or IAH for that purpose. Using MSY-RDU as an example, even MSY-IAH-RDU is shorter than MSY-FLL-RDU while MSY-IAD-RDU is much shorter.

enilria wrote:

Well, to be fair to UAL at EWR they need to look further down the road with the new Terminal A being constructed. Airlines have been chipping away at their dominance over the last 5-10 years and it's only going to continue. How is FLL or MCO not a true "Southern Hub?" What B6 has developed in FLL has been tried by other carriers and they never made it work. My guess if it ever were to happen, they would have to give up some at both airports but having T5 at JFK would be a paradise compared to Terminal C.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 am

IPFreely wrote:
LawnDart wrote:
From the latest Air Travel Consumer Report (data for OCT 2018) On-Time Arrivals (all data mainline only)

How about including Delta Connection and American Eagle? JetBlue operates all their own flights; they don't have poor performing regional airline flights to cancel when they want to make their mainline stats look better.

Bingo.....
Somebody gets it.

grbauc

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:19 am

seabosdca wrote:
Why would AS want to merge with B6 and inherit all the issues you are describing? AS is still digesting the VX merger and has plenty of opportunities for organic growth on the West Coast. The most attractive merger partner for AS would be HA, not B6.

I think B6's future plans should be to the East Coast as AS is to the West Coast. Keep going after NYC business, beef up Florida, look for more Eastern focus cities, and fly to national destinations with the idea of cementing the East Coast customer base further in place. In short, try to rattle the cages of AA and DL in those markets the way AS is trying to do to WN in California.

Sorry but there is no money in Hawaii. I believe BOS and JFK markets are way more valuable than tourist flying to the islands for vacation. Yes AS could and can keep building out west but the large growth and scale they need to get the real clout then need for long term health, is most likely B6. AS is a Regional airline that won't be able to expand on the crowded west coast to build the dominance they need has long has WN is here. AS is heading the right way but to be the national airline they need to be to survive will require a B6.

grbauc

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:22 am

nine4nine wrote:
seabosdca wrote:
Why would AS want to merge with B6 and inherit all the issues you are describing? AS is still digesting the VX merger and has plenty of opportunities for organic growth on the West Coast. The most attractive merger partner for AS would be HA, not B6.

I think B6's future plans should be to the East Coast as AS is to the West Coast. Keep going after NYC business, beef up Florida, look for more Eastern focus cities, and fly to national destinations with the idea of cementing the East Coast customer base further in place. In short, try to rattle the cages of AA and DL in those markets the way AS is trying to do to WN in California.

Agreed. AS has butchered the VX product which actually made a nice relaxed flying experience. They’ve dumped or cut back substantially many of the VX routes and incorporated the boring lackluster cabin offerings.

IF a marriage between AS and B6 were to ever transpire let’s hope the B6 name and service would be the overpowering factors. Nobody thinks Alaska when flying east-west or Caribbean and vice versa.

VX was dying and not making money. AS has a money making system. Look I want the glory days of service back but they don't work at todays prices. I pay the same or less for airfares to day has I paid 20 years ago to fly across the country. We are in the days of cheap flights.

greendot

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:25 am

nine4nine wrote:
I posted this on another B6 thread but find it appropriate here as well.

Wow whiners out in full effect. We get it. Management at B6 has issues starting from the top. AA has the same issues with Doug Parker. It happens.

But your attitudes and moral have a huge effect on your operations wether you see it or not. You can’t blame the issues solely on management but on yourselves as well. You are part of the problem. If you have a chip on your shoulder with your employer you may not see it, but guaranteed it is shown in your demeanor around your customers or in your work performance. Rather than bitch and moan, why don’t you take pride in your company, be a standout and better yourselves and have a positive attitude. If that’s passed through the rest of the employees you can help tip the scales to a more favorable outlook for B6 and offset what management lacks.

Why should an employee NOT in charge of decisions be an enabler to sub-standard management? It's people like you that are utterly disgusting to the profession. We should *not* reward managers being put into positions just because they meet diversity quotas. Instead, we should hire the best and brightest and promote them into such positions. B6 management is not innovating. They are stagnating because the people in charge are bean counters or lawyers. They have never actually created anything. Sure, they can appease shareholders somewhat, but that's also appeasing more people who don't actually create anything. In order for B6 to flourish, they need to dump these horrible unqualified inept-managers and hire LEADERS. Imagine if someone like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs were in charge of B6. Do you think they would run B6 the same way?

Don't try to offload failures on employees. Rather than force employees to have fake/simulated pride, maybe management should give them a natural reason to be proud.

You can try to minimize B6's failures by comparing it to other failures but minimizing the problem as an industry norm is not helpful. Instead, maybe employees should demand the board and shareholders to take action to dump the current managers and replace them with innovators, thinkers, intellectuals, disruptors, deal-makers, and people who truly care about employees and customers.

SuperStewJay

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:27 am

I feel like Jetblue's management is bad. They allow pax to still board even though they are literally -10 to departure thus making them late for saying yes to the irresponsible adults who did not give themselves ample time to get to the airport on time. The other day a pax was catching a titty attack because the space right above his row wasn't available and was demanding that the luggage there be removed because that is his designated area and even though the flight attendants and cro explained it shared space they still gave him what he wanted and had to move carryons around and give him that space. Again making the pushback time late again simply because they want to satisfy these stupid entitled people. Also come to find out the flight attendants got scolded and the company had the nerve to ask them what they couldve done better. Also today after closing the boarding door they do not question or say anything to pax who get up after they close the boarding door thus having a to wait to pushback about 18 min because they are scared to say anything to the pax. I just dont get it. It's like they are willing to kiss all this behind and then wonder why they are doing so bad with being on time. They really need to change their management.

greendot

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 am

nine4nine wrote:
trueblew wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
I posted this on another B6 thread but find it appropriate here as well.

Wow whiners out in full effect. We get it. Management at B6 has issues starting from the top. AA has the same issues with Doug Parker. It happens.

But your attitudes and moral have a huge effect on your operations wether you see it or not. You can’t blame the issues solely on management but on yourselves as well. You are part of the problem. If you have a chip on your shoulder with your employer you may not see it, but guaranteed it is shown in your demeanor around your customers or in your work performance. Rather than bitch and moan, why don’t you take pride in your company, be a standout and better yourselves and have a positive attitude. If that’s passed through the rest of the employees you can help tip the scales to a more favorable outlook for B6 and offset what management lacks.

You all have a job, benefits, and health insurance. Take a look at those less fortunate and out looking for jobs and wondering how to pay the next rent payment or grocery tab. If you don’t change your attitudes you may well be joining them soon.

And before any of you blast me, I’ve been in the industry. I’ve been laid off both pre911 and post911 from airlines and lost everything I’ve owned in my life both times. My first lay-off, both my employees and myself saw the writing on the wall and our morale was in the toilet and we didn’t give a shit at that point and that sped things faster to demise. Be grateful for what you have, find ways to make the work situation better, because if you don’t, tomorrow may not have something to offer you.

Johanna, is that you? Yes, B6 employees should make up for management failures, profit sharing cuts, and a hostile work environment with more smiles and a great attitude!!! Just thrilled to have a job in the era of record low unemployment!

Welp then find another job. If you are so miserable nobody forces you to get up everyday, put on your blues and go to work. Quit tomorrow. I’m sure you’d be much happier over at AA or UA, heck even try Menzies.

If he is miserable, perhaps the question to ask is... what has management done to the company to make employees miserable?

sonicruiser

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:48 am

greendot wrote:
Imagine if someone like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs were in charge of B6. Do you think they would run B6 the same way?

You mean David Neeleman? Only the most successful serial airline startup founder. Most people can only do it once, this guy has done it three times and going for a fourth. If there's a Musk/Bezos/Jobs in this industry, this guy is it. He's way smarter than most people give him credit for. The fact that B6 still exists in some form after years of mismanagement is a testament to how strong the airline was when Neeleman left. Most companies don't survive the kind of indecisive and weak leadership B6 has right now for that long, but Neeleman's JetBlue has been able to weather the storm thus far, effectively without a strong management for all intents and purposes. That in itself is pretty amazing. Like any real entrepreneur, he's also a dropout so you know he's the real deal.

Great interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QybWxHdiSpk
Last edited by sonicruiser on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryanov

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 am

DL and B6, the two airlines I fly most often (though it’s probably 95%/5%), are roughly equivalent in customer service.

Someone brought up where they differ the most earlier in the thread: they don’t have any flights (in comparison) and thus can’t reroute you themselves, and won’t put you on a different airline. When something strange is going on, more than once I have changed flight itineraries with DL, through an unaffected airport or something (and they let you make changes to itineraries for free when your flight is delayed — I’ve been able to move an itinerary to EWR, my home airport, instead of LGA when a flight was delayed).

When I’m flying, I want to get where I’m going. And after my first overnight flight with them, when half a dozen of the satellite channels were all showing the dog stairs or vibrating weight commercial, that starts to look like a dull single amenity.

greendot

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 am

sonicruiser wrote:
greendot wrote:
Imagine if someone like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or Steve Jobs were in charge of B6. Do you think they would run B6 the same way?

You mean David Neeleman? Only the most successful serial airline startup founder. Most people can only do it once, this guy has done it three times and going for a fourth. If there's a Musk/Bezos/Jobs in this industry, this guy is it. He's way smarter than most people give him credit for. The fact that B6 still exists in some form after years of mismanagement is a testament to how strong the airline was when Neeleman left. Most companies don't survive the kind of indecisive and weak leadership B6 has right now for that long, but Neeleman's JetBlue has been able to weather the storm thus far, effectively without a strong management for all intents and purposes. That in itself is pretty amazing.

Yes, I should have said Neeleman. It's just sad that middle and especially upper management is wasted with people like Johanna Gerraty or whatever her name is. She's like the Marissa Mayer of the airline industry.

FlyingElvii

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:15 am

enilria wrote:
ScottB wrote:
enilria wrote:

You can have all of the spare metal you want, and it won’t matter a bit with two-three hour taxi times in an IROP. And how many of those DL completions were delayed overnight? ( A favored DL tactic)

winginit

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 am

IAmGaroott wrote:
Swadian wrote:
flyguy84 wrote:
I feel JetBlue is setting itself up for an acquisition. I don't believe its going to be with Alaska.

If B6 has the same management rift as AA has with merger-happy Doug Parker, I wouldn't be shocked to see B6 merge with AA. After all, Doug Parker is the only major airline CEO who's essentially dedicated his entire career to mergers.

I often wondered if the AA US marriage was blocked, that US would have gone after B6 and taken on their business model.

In late 2012 I came across a McKinsey deck for AA that walked through some backup ideas should the AA-US merger not come to fruition.

An AA-B6-AS “triangle merger” was brought up. Hell of a concept.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 am

I worked with some Ex-JBLU guys at United before I retired. They loved JBLU but were in doubt about where JBLU was going. They thought sure JBLU would Merge and they'd Lose their Jobs or be transferred to God Knows where. Besides? They wanted a little more pay for what they were doing and United offered that. Luckily? I never faced that or even a layoff at United in my 33+ years.

strfyr51

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 am

You've GOT to admit it! If One were going to Merge or attempt to take over any Carrier? Jet Blue would be one DAMN Tasty Morsel. Because with them? A carrier could have INSTANT Credibility in the NYC area. Am I wrong??

stlgph

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
LawnDart wrote:
From the latest Air Travel Consumer Report (data for OCT 2018) On-Time Arrivals (all data mainline only)

How about including Delta Connection and American Eagle? JetBlue operates all their own flights; they don't have poor performing regional airline flights to cancel when they want to make their mainline stats look better.

Bingo.....
Somebody gets it.

Gets what? The common excuse everyone uses for JetBlue's constant late operations?

If this is an issue, then they shouldn't have started an airline focusing on the northeast. And if you have good management, you go Tim Gunn and "make it work."

Excuses don't work. Results work.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

CLTDAL

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

When I worked at B6 a few years back, all of a sudden we were moving all of our gates to be ear AA gates.....also some very important documents had been "leaked" or "discovered" at HQ regarding a merger with AA. It was very bizarre. You could actually feel something happening.....then suddenly-POOF! It all diminished, overnight. Well, apparently AA wanted to complete a 3 way merge with B6 and US. AA really wanted B6, for NY, BOS and FLL. They also wanted US to help complete the deal with PHL, and PHX. I was told that all was a "Go", but US Airways wanted NOTHING to do with B6!!!! They agreed to merge with AA but said absolutely NO B6. I think the 3 carriers would have complimented nicely and created a very dominant Legacy.

enilria

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
enilria wrote:
ScottB wrote:

You can have all of the spare metal you want, and it won’t matter a bit with two-three hour taxi times in an IROP. And how many of those DL completions were delayed overnight? ( A favored DL tactic)

Agreed on DL. I've been on one of their 12 hour delays. I arrived at 550am. They just forced everybody to stay with "Free" (Their Cost: $3/pax) Domino's Pizza until another plane wrapped up its day and then used it. There was never even a plane at the gate. It's not as if they were trying to fix it, and this was at a DL hub where they have spares. And they called that a completed flight. It's little better than Spirit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos