greendot

Re: JetBlue does it need to be saved from its management?

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:28 pm

pdxtraveller wrote:
greendot wrote:

The problem is Johanna Gerrity. She's a lawyer and not even a good one. She's never really done anything innovative which is why the only thing she can do is trim down maintenance budgets and loot employee's profit sharing. She only knows how to subtract. She's basically the Marissa Mayer of Yahoo fame. She needs to be replaced with someone like Neeleman and someone who is competent and intelligent. She doesn't appear to know anything about the industry nor has the aptitude to self-learn.

After her, middle management needs to go. They need to hire smart people, not just people who can't get jobs anywhere else.

Interesting. Out of curiosity, what led you to the conclusion that Joanna isn't a good lawyer? I was under the impression that maintenance contracts were creating CASM issues at B6, so surely getting those costs under control would be a good thing? With respect to your statement about her industry knowledge and lack of ability to self-learn, can you provide any examples? It seems surprising that she would be put in her current role if she was really that inept, although I am just a semi-frequent B6 flyer so I have no way of knowing what happens behind closed doors in New York. Same thing with middle management; are you aware of issues with their hiring practices?

Regarding your questions, I think it's better you ask their employees personally rather than get it from me. I formed my conclusion based on research as an investor in various airlines. I have several specific examples but I was told things in confidence. That being said, they have stranded me a few times as a passenger and they've also caused me many other missed connections and such, particularly when I fly international and the fare uses them to connect to JFK or BOS. I think most of their FAs and pilots are great. They've always been nice and accommodating but it seems like most problems are out of the FA/pilot/gate agent's control. For example, if an airplane has only half the TVs working, what can the FAs do? I see them endlessly reset the system (and it still doesn't work) but this is more an issue that management needs to address with the contractor that created the system in the first place. If the airplane is 4 hrs late because of maintenance issues before my flight (stranding me at BOS or JFK because of a missed connection), what can those employees do? It seems like all their problems are higher level issues caused by decisions made by management.

Don't assume that people get put into positions of power in a corporation based on qualification. I earlier referenced Marissa Mayer. She destroyed Yahoo and I see the exact parallels between Yahoo and Jetblue. The playbooks appear to be almost identical. In a company I worked at, we had two senior executives get their position because they wanted to increase their diversity virtue signaling agendas. They definitely were not the most qualified people. I started seeing the writing on the wall when the media started touting her as the most highly paid female executive in the industry (which is sexist to the core). Thankfully I left there because the company was soon purchased by a company that specializes in turning over failing corporations. To this day they have not succeeded in turning over my former employer and they're now just trying to sell it at a loss.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos