gsg013
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 2:04 pm

What makes DL so strong in BNA is the proximity to ATL and the hourly flight. its so easy to get in and out of BNA tacking on the 38 min flight is a no brainer to be able to get to anywhere in the world mostly one stop. (Occasionally 2 stops for smaller cities or deep asia).
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 3:16 pm

gsg013 wrote:
What makes DL so strong in BNA is the proximity to ATL and the hourly flight. its so easy to get in and out of BNA tacking on the 38 min flight is a no brainer to be able to get to anywhere in the world mostly one stop. (Occasionally 2 stops for smaller cities or deep asia).


Which is why it would be dumb to start p2p flying like RDU. ATL is super convenient from BNA that there really isn’t a need for a full focus city here. A bigger club and TATL service on the other hand? Absolutely.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 5:39 pm

And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 6:46 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.


And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.


And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.


They’ll also be losing 2, maybe even 3 gates to the new IAB. I’ve said it before, but I’m quite curious how the airport is all gonna be set up. Nothing has been set official yet, but the MNAA has pretty much said A will be extended to some media sources. BNA doesn’t need 6 international gates. I’m thinking the IAB will be common use or even picked up by DL. The top level for domestic, and lower level for international processing. I know rumors are rumors, but it’s pretty much set in stone that WN will have all of D by Summer/Fall 2020. They might be giving back C13/C14 to AA. With the new expanded A later down the road, I think you’ll see the rest of C occupied by Herb’s airline one day. BNA has been a focus market of theirs for years now, but WN will take it to the likes of MDW and BWI if you ask me. They’re really picking up with construction, and I’ve started taking shots of the terminal. It’s crazy to think this will all soon be unrecognizable.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.


And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.


Not to be "that guy," but SJC has been mentioned as a focus city too...

When they say focus city they aren't talking about CVG and RDU type focus cities, but more like this model (here are a few explanations I have heard) :

"These are cities that are underserved and are not a hub for competitors. In short order, we add ~20 non-stops per peak day (often only 1 flight to many hubs) and a transatlantic flight to CDG, AMS or LHR. Can't talk specifics on this open forum. Think of large cities, near competitor hubs that we currently have only 4x service each day to a couple of our hubs. Austin would fit that description and we have already announced increased service. There are at least 6 others that are being considered. You will see AMS flights to new cities announced later this Fall."

"Focus cities are an ongoing initiative to "fill in" our network holes. This will last several years at least. The lengthy duration is driven by lack of airframes. That will be solved in the coming years."

""“Focus City” designation needs several conditions to be satisfied.

- Business traffic potential. Cities with Fortune 500 HQs are targets.

- Near competitor’s hubs.

- No current Transatlantic or Transpacific service.

- Current flights with DL limited mostly to DL hubs.


If the analysis shows good business potential with flights to either LHR, AMS or CDG, then we solicit local $$$$$ to indemnify the inaugural year or so. If we get this, then we rapidly build up point-to-point service to further bolster the oceanic flight, which is the lynchpin to the concept.

There are still 4 or 5 cities that are on the short list. Time will tell."

"Focus cities are underserved cities, that have maybe 5-10 RJ flts to our hubs. We then remove much of the RJs, and add approx 20 point to point flights. Most not thru our hubs. Focus cities need to have serious Fortune 500 business travelers to become one.

San Jose, CA may be next. Expect to hear about a AMS flight from there next Summer.
Overall maybe 50-60 flights at max."
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019
 
Lexy
Posts: 1465
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:05 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Whatever happens will happen. At the end of the day, I drive by downtown and count 20+ tower cranes erecting buildings between 10 and 40 floors. The demand will eventually dictate what air service is needed. Not many cities can truly boast that.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun May 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
And to think this whole DL conversation started because they’re opening a large Sky Club haha. I think it is interesting, and who knows what they’ll do here. Doug said there’s more announcements coming.


And the club expansion hasn't even been officially announced. In fairness, I've been hearing about this even before the club news came about; the user winginit told (or more like insisted) to me a while back that BNA, along with AUS, BOS and RDU are DL's focus cities of the future. I don't know if I believe BNA will be a true focus city, but TATL service I could see.

DL can't really do much right now with the amount of gates they have. And more wouldn't even be available until Concourse A is rebuilt.


Not to be "that guy," but SJC has been mentioned as a focus city too...

When they say focus city they aren't talking about CVG and RDU type focus cities, but more like this model (here are a few explanations I have heard) :

"These are cities that are underserved and are not a hub for competitors. In short order, we add ~20 non-stops per peak day (often only 1 flight to many hubs) and a transatlantic flight to CDG, AMS or LHR. Can't talk specifics on this open forum. Think of large cities, near competitor hubs that we currently have only 4x service each day to a couple of our hubs. Austin would fit that description and we have already announced increased service. There are at least 6 others that are being considered. You will see AMS flights to new cities announced later this Fall."

"Focus cities are an ongoing initiative to "fill in" our network holes. This will last several years at least. The lengthy duration is driven by lack of airframes. That will be solved in the coming years."

""“Focus City” designation needs several conditions to be satisfied.

- Business traffic potential. Cities with Fortune 500 HQs are targets.

- Near competitor’s hubs.

- No current Transatlantic or Transpacific service.

- Current flights with DL limited mostly to DL hubs.


If the analysis shows good business potential with flights to either LHR, AMS or CDG, then we solicit local $$$$$ to indemnify the inaugural year or so. If we get this, then we rapidly build up point-to-point service to further bolster the oceanic flight, which is the lynchpin to the concept.

There are still 4 or 5 cities that are on the short list. Time will tell."

"Focus cities are underserved cities, that have maybe 5-10 RJ flts to our hubs. We then remove much of the RJs, and add approx 20 point to point flights. Most not thru our hubs. Focus cities need to have serious Fortune 500 business travelers to become one.

San Jose, CA may be next. Expect to hear about a AMS flight from there next Summer.
Overall maybe 50-60 flights at max."


No you are fine, I like your insights. So if I am reading this right, it sounds like DL is targeting specific markets and increasing hub service plus adding TATL service and maybe few p2p flights (but not to CVG/RDU levels). This sounds reasonable, and I believe this is the model they are following in places like IND, BNA, SJC, etc.

AUS on the other hand.......... the problem with the above is that is not in line with what I've been hearing what's happening there. In AUS, I have consistently heard that as soon as the new gates open, they plan to gradually elevate it to the same level as CVG/RDU over the course of the next few years due to Texas's isolation from the DL network. In fact, I heard AUS-based SkyMiles members got a survey not too long ago asking about potential nonstop flights. Furthermore, the following article hinted at DL TATL service being added fairly soon at AUS.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2019/04/24/we-are-already-behind-what-businesses-can-do-to.html
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 am

^I agree with your AUS point. I think no Texas hub/focus city hurts DL. If I want to fly to Texas on DL I have to go way out of the way to get there so I'll fly someone else. I think they could benefit from having a city down there with at least a RDU level operation. Fly to the cities inside the ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC circle so they don't have to backtrack as much.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 2:27 am

Jshank83 wrote:
^I agree with your AUS point. I think no Texas hub/focus city hurts DL. If I want to fly to Texas on DL I have to go way out of the way to get there so I'll fly someone else. I think they could benefit from having a city down there with at least a RDU level operation. Fly to the cities inside the ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP/SLC circle so they don't have to backtrack as much.


:checkmark:

Last point on this since this is a BNA thread, but you hit the nail on the head. DL has little to no convenient options for Texas-bound travelers if you live anywhere in the central part of the country. Furthermore, it has no convenient options for E/W connections in Texas and the south central US. Given Texas's huge economy (second largest in the nation and 10th in the world) and their population boom (they could be rivaling or even surpassing CA by the 2050's), I think DL realizes they have to do something there. Not necessarily compete on the same level as AA at DFW or UA at IAH, but gain some meaningful presence. AUS is their opportunity to do so.

Back to BNA now.....
 
Craiger88
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Yesterday was a new record setting day for passengers screened at BNA with a total of 29,731 screened.

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-m ... ecord.aspx
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri May 10, 2019 6:16 pm

I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 9:23 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.


Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
gsg013
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.


Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.


Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm

gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.


Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.


Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).


AMS and not CDG? Interesting. I wonder what the frequency would be?

I would be surprised if it was announced this year because the expanded Sky Club isn’t ready and it’s still a bit soon after BA launched.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 12:36 am

I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 am

southwest1675 wrote:
I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.


I think I was the one who originally stated it, lol. I'm would like to see NK and another TATL flight in the near future. I'd rather have LH to FRA, but I'll take DL to AMS.

Can DL add a TATL flight with the current IAB setup? Would it have to arrive/depart before or after BA?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 am

Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.


I think I was the one who originally stated it, lol. I'm would like to see NK and another TATL flight in the near future. I'd rather have LH to FRA, but I'll take DL to AMS.

Can DL add a TATL flight with the current IAB setup? Would it have to arrive/depart before or after BA?


I expect NK sometime during the BNA Vision Process. As far as the current IAB, I don’t see why another flight couldn’t utilize the facilities. Saturday’s could get tricky with the Cancun flights, but BA seems to move their flight out of the way pretty quickly. I would assume DL’s assumed TATL flight could arrive shortly after BA is due to tow.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 821
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 am

Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.
Spread hope like fire.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I stated it earlier, but Doug said more announcements are coming. Don’t expect much from WN until the MAX is figured out.


I think I was the one who originally stated it, lol. I'm would like to see NK and another TATL flight in the near future. I'd rather have LH to FRA, but I'll take DL to AMS.

Can DL add a TATL flight with the current IAB setup? Would it have to arrive/depart before or after BA?


I expect NK sometime during the BNA Vision Process. As far as the current IAB, I don’t see why another flight couldn’t utilize the facilities. Saturday’s could get tricky with the Cancun flights, but BA seems to move their flight out of the way pretty quickly. I would assume DL’s assumed TATL flight could arrive shortly after BA is due to tow.


I would imagine a hypothetical AMS flight would arrive/depart before BA does, since BA doesn’t leave until the 8 pm hour, it would be pretty late otherwise. Just as long as it’s timed well for connections.
 
dfdubflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 8:14 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.


I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.


I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.


But has the fall schedule been finalized yet? I think it would be odd for them to go to 4x weekly after being daily for the summer.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 am

Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
Can anyone in BNA confirm if BA is going back to 4X weekly 788 for the winter season? I guess it could go either way - part of me suspects though that the winter schedules have simply not been finalized.


I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.


But has the fall schedule been finalized yet? I think it would be odd for them to go to 4x weekly after being daily for the summer.


British Airways confirmed yesterday that its London Heathrow to Nashville route will operate 4x weekly in Winter 2019, with day changes. The route will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 27 October 2019
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I had a LHR-BNA award flight on 11/20 and BA emailed me about ya weeks ago saying they were no longer operating a flight that day.


But has the fall schedule been finalized yet? I think it would be odd for them to go to 4x weekly after being daily for the summer.


British Airways confirmed yesterday that its London Heathrow to Nashville route will operate 4x weekly in Winter 2019, with day changes. The route will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 27 October 2019


Interesting. Will it be on the 788 or 789 and is this due to aircraft availability?

BNA probably isn’t ready for AMS service if it can’t see LHR at at least 5x weekly year round.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 1:41 pm

gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
I wonder when we’ll hear another air service announcement.


Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.


Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).


AMS would be better for connections for sure. However, isn't it basically maxed out? Would DL use a slot to a secondary, albeit growing city?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 2:19 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Me too. It's been really quiet this spring.


Hopefully! maybe the quiet before the storm of new routes is unleashed! ( from what I am hearing DL TALT to AMS will the next big splash... you heard it here first).


AMS would be better for connections for sure. However, isn't it basically maxed out? Would DL use a slot to a secondary, albeit growing city?


They do to PDX, MCO and TPA, so I guess BNA could join.

However, I’m not sure if this would be a year round flight. If BA can only make BNA work 4x week during the winter months, I doubt AMS could work during that same time.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm

As far as BA’s reduced service, I’m sure there are other factors like fleet utilization that come into play. The flight does well overall.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 am

Hypothetically speaking, do you think BNA would make a better hub for AA than CLT? Curious what other’s thoughts on this are.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2419
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 3:03 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Hypothetically speaking, do you think BNA would make a better hub for AA than CLT? Curious what other’s thoughts on this are.


One advantage of BNA over CLT is that BNA is in a better geographical location than CLT is for connections to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle from the Midwest (and vice versa).

WN already offers connections to several Gulf Coast destinations such as HOU, MSY, PNS, ECP, and TPA from some WN destinations in the Midwest through BNA. DL also already offers connections to most of the destinations along the Gulf Coast from the Midwest through its main ATL hub.

CLT is in a good geographical location for connections to the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and Eastern North Carolina from Southeastern destinations west of the CLT hub. AA also has nonstop service out of CLT to some small regional destinations in Connecticut, Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia that aren't served by DL or UA.

CLT is the 2nd largest hub for AA after its main DFW hub, and AA's CLT hub operation is too big to be moved over to BNA.
 
dafunk10
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 am

Airport finally posted March and April numbers....about 1.5M each month....15% growth over prior year and 80% LF....18M seems likely this year
 
dfdubflyer
Topic Author
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:01 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 am

I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.


LF’s weren’t as strong in the winter months though. BNA still has work to do to make the BA flight daily year round.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.


LF’s weren’t as strong in the winter months though. BNA still has work to do to make the BA flight daily year round.


I agree, and think it may stay daily after next summer. They are definitely advertising. From social media to billboards. I spoke to someone recently who still didn't know BA serves Nashville. Word of mouth is a good thing too.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 2:06 pm

I’ve had a few friends take the flight to connect to other places in Europe. They love it.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 2:19 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
I hope that the reason they pulled it down is due primarily to them adding an additional LHR-BOM daytime flight on a 789 which is using our a/c. A family friend was at a chamber of commerce type event recently and BNA CEO said that we were one of the top ten routes for BA by yield or something. Pulling down would seem to run somewhat contrary to the upgauge/going daily so fast we saw previously.


LF’s weren’t as strong in the winter months though. BNA still has work to do to make the BA flight daily year round.


I agree, and think it may stay daily after next summer. They are definitely advertising. From social media to billboards. I spoke to someone recently who still didn't know BA serves Nashville. Word of mouth is a good thing too.


Give it a few years and it will be daily year round. It simply needs time to grow.

However, it is for that reason why I would like DL to hold off on adding AMS or CDG for a few years. Nashville is a fast growing market, but we aren’t quite on the level of say, AUS or RDU. I’m not sure if BNA could handle both flights year round without one of them taking a hit LF wise. In a few years, it will be different, but for now, I think just having BA to LHR is fine.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
Fargo wrote:

LF’s weren’t as strong in the winter months though. BNA still has work to do to make the BA flight daily year round.


I agree, and think it may stay daily after next summer. They are definitely advertising. From social media to billboards. I spoke to someone recently who still didn't know BA serves Nashville. Word of mouth is a good thing too.


Give it a few years and it will be daily year round. It simply needs time to grow.

However, it is for that reason why I would like DL to hold off on adding AMS or CDG for a few years. Nashville is a fast growing market, but we aren’t quite on the level of say, AUS or RDU. I’m not sure if BNA could handle both flights year round without one of them taking a hit LF wise. In a few years, it will be different, but for now, I think just having BA to LHR is fine.


To my understanding, DL’s CDG flight started somewhat poorly on just a 752.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 6:20 pm

I think the airport is lacking service to either GDL or MEX.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 12:36 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

I agree, and think it may stay daily after next summer. They are definitely advertising. From social media to billboards. I spoke to someone recently who still didn't know BA serves Nashville. Word of mouth is a good thing too.


Give it a few years and it will be daily year round. It simply needs time to grow.

However, it is for that reason why I would like DL to hold off on adding AMS or CDG for a few years. Nashville is a fast growing market, but we aren’t quite on the level of say, AUS or RDU. I’m not sure if BNA could handle both flights year round without one of them taking a hit LF wise. In a few years, it will be different, but for now, I think just having BA to LHR is fine.


To my understanding, DL’s CDG flight started somewhat poorly on just a 752.


That is because RDU was within the range of a 752, and it was pretty successful actually. It is now on a 763 and is daily or near daily year round (I believe it may be 5x week or so in the very slow winter months). But we have to remember RDU has had TATL service since 1994 and is a bit bigger and further economically developed than BNA. As for AUS, I'd argue they are on a completely different level than BNA/RDU. The MSA proper may be around the same size, but they serve a much larger catchment area (closer to 3-5 million people depending on how you look at it), they have a bigger business community and advanced tech sector and it is the state capital of the 10th largest economy in the world. It's no wonder BA is flying daily 744's/77W's and LH (a conservative airline when it comes to non-hub routes in the US) just started service there, with DL to CDG and a TPAC flight likely around the corner.

None of this is to say BNA isn't significant in it's own right, we (I live in the Nashville area FYI) are growing rapidly as well. We'll get more European service eventually, it's just a matter of when. But we need to let the market develop and it would be in our best interest to see BA go daily year round before scoring a second year round TATL flight.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 12:55 am

southwest1675 wrote:
I think the airport is lacking service to either GDL or MEX.

Yup, the airport needs to focus on other routes like these before looking at more TATL. BNA doesn't need to be a 2nd Pit playing musical chairs with their flights
Last edited by stl07 on Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 12:59 am

stl07 wrote:
BNA doesn't need to be a 2nd Pit playing musical chairs with their flights


:checkmark:

Couldn't have said it better myself!
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 am

Fargo wrote:
stl07 wrote:
BNA doesn't need to be a 2nd Pit playing musical chairs with their flights


:checkmark:

Couldn't have said it better myself!


At least BNA isn’t throwing money at airlines to start service lol.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
stl07 wrote:
BNA doesn't need to be a 2nd Pit playing musical chairs with their flights


:checkmark:

Couldn't have said it better myself!


At least BNA isn’t throwing money at airlines to start service lol.


That’s true, my point was more of we don’t want the market to become oversaturated and we lose service as a result.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 pm

It was actually rumored that the MNAA turned down an Iceland carrier for sake of stability for the BA flight.
RIP Herb Kelleher.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 am

southwest1675 wrote:
It was actually rumored that the MNAA turned down an Iceland carrier for sake of stability for the BA flight.

Good, that's how you keep your flights, at least until they mature. When was this, before or after the Wow collapse?
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 1273
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 1:10 am

Should I be alarmed by the fact that the only two cities from BNA on SY in the winter extension are currently PVD (<what?) and MSP?
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"
 
Fargo
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 1:55 am

stl07 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
It was actually rumored that the MNAA turned down an Iceland carrier for sake of stability for the BA flight.

Good, that's how you keep your flights, at least until they mature. When was this, before or after the Wow collapse?


Last year, in an interview somewhere, Doug Kreulen was quoted as saying BNA was getting close to landing an Iceland flight (either FI or WW), this was before WOW's collapse. I'm glad neither one came because one collapsed and the other is experiencing financial/fleet issues.
 
CIDFlyer
Posts: 2084
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 1:59 am

I noticed that Allegiants handful of seasonal destinations are flying at least until the first week of January.
Flights must be popular. I know here in Cedar Rapids our BNA flight on Allegiant that just started is doing very well and they added a 3rd weekly flight this summer and extended flights until the end of sept (originally was to end Aug 12)
 
HeyHey
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 am

CIDFlyer wrote:
I noticed that Allegiants handful of seasonal destinations are flying at least until the first week of January.
Flights must be popular. I know here in Cedar Rapids our BNA flight on Allegiant that just started is doing very well and they added a 3rd weekly flight this summer and extended flights until the end of sept (originally was to end Aug 12)


I happened to be in B while waiting on my flight when the CID flight came in on Monday. I performed my own count of people getting off the flight and counted 89 passengers. That's a single data point, but thought I would at least add it in. The flight was served by the 319 and was going to head to SFB from BNA next.
 
HeyHey
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 4:17 am

Fargo wrote:

That is because RDU was within the range of a 752, and it was pretty successful actually. It is now on a 763 and is daily or near daily year round (I believe it may be 5x week or so in the very slow winter months). But we have to remember RDU has had TATL service since 1994 and is a bit bigger and further economically developed than BNA. As for AUS, I'd argue they are on a completely different level than BNA/RDU. The MSA proper may be around the same size, but they serve a much larger catchment area (closer to 3-5 million people depending on how you look at it), they have a bigger business community and advanced tech sector and it is the state capital of the 10th largest economy in the world. It's no wonder BA is flying daily 744's/77W's and LH (a conservative airline when it comes to non-hub routes in the US) just started service there, with DL to CDG and a TPAC flight likely around the corner.

None of this is to say BNA isn't significant in it's own right, we (I live in the Nashville area FYI) are growing rapidly as well. We'll get more European service eventually, it's just a matter of when. But we need to let the market develop and it would be in our best interest to see BA go daily year round before scoring a second year round TATL flight.


Here's a nifty little tool with 2015 census estimates for those who love messing around with populations and demographics: https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mappi ... st/gpw-v4/

I would argue the catchment areas for BNA is actually larger in terms of population than AUS (although the given population in AUS likely has more impact per capita). AUS has significant airports on 3 of 4 sides (SAT, DFW, IAH) and a vast area of nothingness on the fourth side that really eats into its catchment area. Using the map above for reference, AUS's catchment area is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 million people and BNA's is ~3.3 million. For AUS I excluded Waco and San Antonio, and for BNA I excluded Huntsville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga, although all of those areas undoubtedly feed into AUS and BNA to some degree. RDU, on the other hand, has a significantly larger catchment area at somewhere in the range of 4.5 million people by my measurements.

I do wonder about the effects of having BA as the carrier instead of AA or DL. My acquaintances from Nashville have rarely travelled with BA when traveling to Europe. Most are still flying one of the US legacy carriers for whatever reason. Is it lack of knowledge, or do people generally not know that they can transfer to far more places in Europe by connecting through LHR than through ATL, JFK, or ORD? I really think the demand is there from BNA to have daily service to Europe, there may be a lack of knowledge about the service.
 
User avatar
southwest1675
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 am

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 am

HeyHey wrote:
Fargo wrote:

That is because RDU was within the range of a 752, and it was pretty successful actually. It is now on a 763 and is daily or near daily year round (I believe it may be 5x week or so in the very slow winter months). But we have to remember RDU has had TATL service since 1994 and is a bit bigger and further economically developed than BNA. As for AUS, I'd argue they are on a completely different level than BNA/RDU. The MSA proper may be around the same size, but they serve a much larger catchment area (closer to 3-5 million people depending on how you look at it), they have a bigger business community and advanced tech sector and it is the state capital of the 10th largest economy in the world. It's no wonder BA is flying daily 744's/77W's and LH (a conservative airline when it comes to non-hub routes in the US) just started service there, with DL to CDG and a TPAC flight likely around the corner.

None of this is to say BNA isn't significant in it's own right, we (I live in the Nashville area FYI) are growing rapidly as well. We'll get more European service eventually, it's just a matter of when. But we need to let the market develop and it would be in our best interest to see BA go daily year round before scoring a second year round TATL flight.


Here's a nifty little tool with 2015 census estimates for those who love messing around with populations and demographics: https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mappi ... st/gpw-v4/

I would argue the catchment areas for BNA is actually larger in terms of population than AUS (although the given population in AUS likely has more impact per capita). AUS has significant airports on 3 of 4 sides (SAT, DFW, IAH) and a vast area of nothingness on the fourth side that really eats into its catchment area. Using the map above for reference, AUS's catchment area is somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.7 million people and BNA's is ~3.3 million. For AUS I excluded Waco and San Antonio, and for BNA I excluded Huntsville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga, although all of those areas undoubtedly feed into AUS and BNA to some degree. RDU, on the other hand, has a significantly larger catchment area at somewhere in the range of 4.5 million people by my measurements.

I do wonder about the effects of having BA as the carrier instead of AA or DL. My acquaintances from Nashville have rarely travelled with BA when traveling to Europe. Most are still flying one of the US legacy carriers for whatever reason. Is it lack of knowledge, or do people generally not know that they can transfer to far more places in Europe by connecting through LHR than through ATL, JFK, or ORD? I really think the demand is there from BNA to have daily service to Europe, there may be a lack of knowledge about the service.


I think people in BNA are still unaware of airlines such as G4 and SY.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos