Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gsg013

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm

There was a recent article in the Tennessean listing all routes out of BNA. One that struck me was DL BNA-AUS although I have not heard any announcement about this it seems like it could be a future addition.

My other thought is that this was a mistake and they meant to say Southwest does BNA-AUS?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/travel ... 512393002/

Fargo

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:08 pm

gsg013 wrote:
There was a recent article in the Tennessean listing all routes out of BNA. One that struck me was DL BNA-AUS although I have not heard any announcement about this it seems like it could be a future addition.

My other thought is that this was a mistake and they meant to say Southwest does BNA-AUS?

It was a mistake, only WN does BNA-AUS right now.

That said, I expect DL will indeed jump on that route if/when they build up AUS.

Cubsrule

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Fargo wrote:
gsg013 wrote:

That said, I expect DL will indeed jump on that route if/when they build up AUS.

Did they maybe run it for SXSW? It would be a sensible temporary add given the music industry connections and their relative strength in BNA.

EvanWSFO

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:43 pm

UALFAson wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
I appreciate what you are saying, but this site thrives on speculation. I've read plenty of other cities threads, same thing. Without those, there might be 20 threads online. You're just going to have to live with it.

With all due respect, you have been a member for 10 months. I have been on here for 15 years. The site used to not be like this. These city-specific route threads full of nothing but speculation and wish lists are a recent development in the past year or two. Maybe there used to only be "20 threads" at a time, but they were much more substantive in nature.

It's not that I am opposed to speculation, it's just that we beat topics to death. Saying the same wishes over and over is not going to make them suddenly come true. I am tired of wading through posts of people literally saying the exact same thing over and over just to find the occasional press release or operational update from someone who actually works at BNA.

Actually I've been on this site for years. A password manager/Google fiasco caused me to lose my link to recovering my original Google account info, thus the new names. (Not that I need to explain that, but there it is). Yes, it has changed, likely since they stopped charging. Regardless, no one is forcing you to ready anything. If you don't like it, block the person as it seems to be the same ones over and again.

Fargo

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:
gsg013 wrote:

Did they maybe run it for SXSW? It would be a sensible temporary add given the music industry connections and their relative strength in BNA.

Not sure, but I know the WN BNA-AUS flights are full. This would be a decent A220 route for DL.

EvanWSFO

Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:35 am

Fargo wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Not sure, but I know the WN BNA-AUS flights are full. This would be a decent A220 route for DL.

IF (big if) DL adds BNA-AUS, it'll likely start with the CR9. They are doing their BOS growth with those. No reason to think they would not start a focus city small and grow if the traffic warrants.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

I wonder what the odds are for WN to add service to smaller stations like DSM and LIT from BNA. STL has this service, but I believe it’s partly for relief from crowded MDW.

737MAX7

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I apologize if this is old news in your circles, but just came across this release on airline route.net
BA is upping to daily on 4/19 and is moving up to the 789 with F from 3/31 for the summer season at least.
Nicely done..

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-08jan19/

When it was announced BA stated it was the fastest up gauge in like 12 years!

jplatts

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I wonder what the odds are for WN to add service to smaller stations like DSM and LIT from BNA. STL has this service, but I believe it’s partly for relief from crowded MDW.

I think that WN adding LIT-BNA is more likely to happen than WN adding DSM-BNA nonstop service since (a) WN has been serving LIT for almost 35 years whereas WN didn't serve DSM until almost 6 and a half years ago, (b) LIT is located in a larger metro area than DSM is, and (c) LIT is a bigger WN station than DSM is.

gsg013

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

I noticed BNA-DTW on DL will be a 757-200 for a flight im booked on March 2nd is this going to be a new thing for this route or just randomly a one off?

flymco753

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm

gsg013 wrote:
I noticed BNA-DTW on DL will be a 757-200 for a flight im booked on March 2nd is this going to be a new thing for this route or just randomly a one off?
One off, the 321 is making a regularly scheduled appearance.

EvanWSFO

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

I think LIT could work. It would provide for some connections from there to Florida. I can't decide where yet, but I have a feeling they are going to throw in a flight to a destination that's not on anyone's radar.

southwest1675

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 pm

SMF IND GSP RIC PBI LIT DSM BDL are likely from BNA in my opinion. Could see 3 of those checked off the list this year if WN continues recent trends.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
SMF IND GSP RIC PBI LIT DSM BDL are likely from BNA in my opinion. Could see 3 of those checked off the list this year if WN continues recent trends.

Bigger question is whether WN stays in GSP at all. (They flew GSP-BNA when they first entered the market.)

EvanWSFO

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:11 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Bigger question is whether WN stays in GSP at all. (They flew GSP-BNA when they first entered the market.)

Kinda iffy, but if they keep it, they may move the flights from ATL to BNA. DL has to be killing them on that route.

Midwestindy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

BNA-IND will happen this year, but not on WN

EvanWSFO

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

DL on E75???

Midwestindy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

DL on E75???

Most likely not

southwest1675

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 am

Apparently Contour is rumored to fly the 135 between IND and BNA soon.

Jshank83

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:15 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Apparently Contour is rumored to fly the 135 between IND and BNA soon.

That would make sense. They are talking to STL about at risk routes. Might as well do the same at BNA.

Fargo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:39 am

Unlike BNA-ATL, where it is connecting a midsized market to a top 10 market, BNA-IND is a route connecting two mid-sized markets of similar size. As such, I cannot imagine there is a ton of O&D between the cities, so a WN 737 may be too much plane. That said, connections may be needed to make this route work, so I don't know how Contour would do that.

I see WN shifting routes such as GSP, RIC and maybe even PUJ from ATL to BNA eventually, since it makes sense to shift connections to BNA so you are not competing with the humongous DL hub in ATL.

Jshank83

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:42 am

Contour is only using 30 seat planes. You obviously don’t need as much O&D to fill those up.

jplatts

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:54 am

Fargo wrote:
Unlike BNA-ATL, where it is connecting a midsized market to a top 10 market, BNA-IND is a route connecting two mid-sized markets of similar size. As such, I cannot imagine there is a ton of O&D between the cities, so a WN 737 may be too much plane. That said, connections may be needed to make this route work, so I don't know how Contour would do that.

WN already has nonstop service to BNA from markets that are similar in size to IND such as AUS, CLE, CMH, MCI, PIT, and SAT, but AUS, CLE, CMH, MCI, PIT, and SAT are all further from BNA than IND is.

Fargo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 am

jplatts wrote:
Fargo wrote:

WN already has nonstop service to BNA from markets that are similar in size to IND such as AUS, CLE, CMH, MCI, PIT, and SAT, but AUS, CLE, CMH, MCI, PIT, and SAT are all further from BNA than IND is.

I should clarify that because of the close proximity of IND and BNA, the O&D may be lower.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 am

Fargo wrote:

I see WN shifting routes such as GSP, RIC and maybe even PUJ from ATL to BNA eventually, since it makes sense to shift connections to BNA so you are not competing with the humongous DL hub in ATL.

It's a market that can be stimulated, as it is very impractical for most people to fly the route, but at the same time it can still end up being a long 4-5 hour drive.

Cummins has a decent presence in Nashville because of Nissan, and I'm sure there are other companies who would be interested as well, considering WN was approached about starting the route.

cvgComair

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:

It's a market that can be stimulated, as it is very impractical for most people to fly the route, but at the same time it can still end up being a long 4-5 hour drive.

Cummins has a decent presence in Nashville because of Nissan, and I'm sure there are other companies who would be interested as well, considering WN was approached about starting the route.

I am interested to see how much the PDEW can be stimulated. At the moment, IND-BNA has 8 pax and CVG-BNA has 16 pax. Compared to CMH at 99 and CLE at 212, the demand is quite small. With UE supposedly starting LUK-BNA this year, both IND and Cincy could have service to BNA again this year.

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I am interested to see how much the PDEW can be stimulated. At the moment, IND-BNA has 8 pax and CVG-BNA has 16 pax. Compared to CMH at 99 and CLE at 212, the demand is quite small. With UE supposedly starting LUK-BNA this year, both IND and Cincy could have service to BNA again this year.

Keep in mind CVG-BNA had nonstop service, so it's hard to compare its PDEW with IND. I'd wager PDEW on IND-BNA would be larger than CVG-BNA, considering it is a longer drive.

Having nonstop service can make a huge difference in terms of demand

Cubsrule

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Keep in mind CVG-BNA had nonstop service, so it's hard to compare its PDEW with IND. I'd wager PDEW on IND-BNA would be larger than CVG-BNA, considering it is a longer drive.

Having nonstop service can make a huge difference in terms of demand

I drive both with some regularity, and Indianapolis is a much easier drive because 65 through Louisville moves better than 71 (and taking either of the Louisville loops around adds a fair amount of distance), and getting into Indianapolis from the south is a lot easier than getting into Cincinnati. I do agree with you, though, that the business connections with Indianapolis are likely greater and that with equal service IND-BNA would probably be a larger local market.

Midwestindy

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:39 am

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-m ... recap.aspx

"In 2018, 15,996,194 passengers traveled to and from BNA, an increase of more than 1.86 million passengers over the 2017 calendar year, representing a 13.2 percent increase, and setting a new, all-time passenger record for the sixth consecutive calendar year. 2018 was also the third calendar year in a row to add more than 1 million additional total passengers, and the first calendar year to exceed 1 million passengers in every month."

southwest1675

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am

Incredible numbers.

pdt2f

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:07 am

Is anyone else’s OCD alarms going off due to the fact that we were like 4000 short of 16 million? ;)

In all seriousness, great numbers. With business additions, regional population growth, and continued airline investment at BNA its bound to continue rising for some time.

pdt2f

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 am

cvgComair wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Having direct flight could definitely boost those numbers a lot. Connecting is too time consuming and inconvenient for that short of a flight, it can more than double the trip time. A nonstop would attract those who drive simply because connecting at ORD, ATL, DTW, etc is just too much work for what should be an hour flight.

Fargo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 am

Yeah, about slide 3 of this presentation......... there gonna have to tear that up and try again

https://www.flynashville.com/business-opportunities/Documents/100317.pdf

Seeing those numbers, we could be looking at BNA graduating into the 20 million+ pax range within the next 4-5 years

tys777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 am

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/2018-recap.aspx

"In 2018, 15,996,194 passengers traveled to and from BNA, an increase of more than 1.86 million passengers over the 2017 calendar year, representing a 13.2 percent increase, and setting a new, all-time passenger record for the sixth consecutive calendar year. 2018 was also the third calendar year in a row to add more than 1 million additional total passengers, and the first calendar year to exceed 1 million passengers in every month."

But how much of that was connecting pax???? :duck:

southwest1675

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 am

tys777 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/2018-recap.aspx

But how much of that was connecting pax???? :duck:

About 13 million.

southwest1675

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm

G4 adds GRR-BNA. Starts in June.

DesMoineser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm

(b) LIT is located in a larger metro area than DSM is

Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR MSA Population (2017 est.)

Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA MSA Population (2017 est.)

That's an interesting definition of "much larger." DSM is also growing far faster.

jplatts

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:11 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
(b) LIT is located in a larger metro area than DSM is

Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR MSA Population (2017 est.)

Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA MSA Population (2017 est.)

That's an interesting definition of "much larger." DSM is also growing far faster.

The population of the LIT catchment area is over 1.1 million people if you include the Little Rock/Pine Bluff/Searcy CSA, Hot Springs/Malvern CSA, and the Russellville, AR Micropolitan Statistical Area.

The population of the DSM catchment area is over 840,000 people if you include the Des Moines/Ames/Boone CSA and the Marshalltown, IA Micropolitan Statistical Area.

LIT is clearly in a bigger market by population than DSM is when more than just the MSA's or even the CSA's of the two markets are considered. WN also has a much bigger presence at LIT than at DSM.

EvanWSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:51 pm

MNAA needs to be seriously looking at another expansion plan now, not waiting until BNA Vision is done. If they want to sustain this growth they'll have to bring more gates online. Larger a/c by the airlines alone won't be enough. Still, these numbers are awesome.

Fargo

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
MNAA needs to be seriously looking at another expansion plan now, not waiting until BNA Vision is done. If they want to sustain this growth they'll have to bring more gates online. Larger a/c by the airlines alone won't be enough. Still, these numbers are awesome.

They are updating the master plan right now, but yeah, 50 gates, which is what they will have once BNA Vision is done, won’t be enough. They need to look at doing something with A and B to add more gates. Also would be nice if they could build space for UA to open a club and AA/DL to replace their Clubs

DesMoineser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm

The original point was DSM vs. LIT MSA, not catchment area. Way to move the goalposts.

That being said, 2017 total pax numbers for LIT were 2,029,309. 2,578,308 total for DSM. DSM reached 2,773,207 total pax in 2018 and LIT has not yet published. DSM sees substantially more passengers than LIT and is probably a more attractive market than LIT for expansion.

rexchase12

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:

New midfield terminal (like ATL on smaller scale) where the general aviation/National Guard area is now? :roll:

jplatts

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

DesMoineser wrote:
The original point was DSM vs. LIT MSA, not catchment area. Way to move the goalposts.

That being said, 2017 total pax numbers for LIT were 2,029,309. 2,578,308 total for DSM. DSM reached 2,773,207 total pax in 2018 and LIT has not yet published. DSM sees substantially more passengers than LIT and is probably a more attractive market than LIT for expansion.

While LIT is in a larger market by population than DSM is and while WN has a much bigger presence at LIT than at DSM, there are several big differences between LIT and DSM, including the following:
  • AA currently serves PHL and PHX nonstop from DSM but not from LIT
  • DL currently serves MSP, LGA, and SLC nonstop from DSM but not from LIT
  • UA has mainline nonstops to ORD and DEN from DSM but not from LIT
  • G4 currently serves LAS, AZA, PGD, and PIE nonstop from DSM but not from LIT
  • WN currently serves DAL nonstop from LIT but not from DSM

One of the main reasons why DSM has more passengers per year than LIT does is due to AA, DL, and G4 having nonstop service out of DSM to destinations that aren't served nonstop from LIT.

I agree that DSM might be a more attractive market than LIT is for expansion since there is more demand for air travel out of DSM than there is out of LIT.

DesMoineser

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Agreed there and I'm aware of the service differences between the two markets. AA, DL, and G4 provide more service to DSM because it's a much faster growing city, with a faster growing airport, with a vastly higher GDP per capita than the LIT metro or catchment area. While we have good connectivity to the SE through CLT and ATL already, BNA would be a great connecting market for us in the near-term with O&D demand to stimulate in the mid to longer-term.

Bluegrass60

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 pm

BNA had a great year with almost 16M PAX....am sure only like 12% were connecting....right.....I have a runway I'll sell ya cheap...

Anyway...WN adds more flights Spring/Summer.... Nashville growth is slowing...albeit still very healthy growth....but LF is 72%??

Anyone think BNA repeats 13% growth in 2019.....seems a bit aggressive.

EvanWSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 pm

rexchase12 wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

New midfield terminal (like ATL on smaller scale) where the general aviation/National Guard area is now? :roll:

That's pretty far from the current terminal. Making B into a mirror of C and/or extending A into an L-shape while widening it would seem like better solutions.

EvanWSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
BNA had a great year with almost 16M PAX....am sure only like 12% were connecting....right.....I have a runway I'll sell ya cheap...

Anyway...WN adds more flights Spring/Summer.... Nashville growth is slowing...albeit still very healthy growth....but LF is 72%??

Anyone think BNA repeats 13% growth in 2019.....seems a bit aggressive.

I was wondering when we'd hear from you. 13% may not be sustainable for next year due to the gates being maxed out. Then again, airlines are upgauging many flights, so one never knows. I'm sure you will continue your negative critique of everything BNA into this new year, to no one's interest.

Bluegrass60

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 pm

EvanWSFO - is no crtitique of Nashville or BNA. They are doing awesome. Any critique is only aimed at folks who are clueless as to how BNA grew by 1.86M passengers in one year.

tys777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
G4 adds GRR-BNA. Starts in June.

Tells me that some of the more random adds by G4 such as SYR and RIC must actually be working out. Will be interesting to see how they expand in the future out of BNA.

tys777

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Anyone know if the airport authority ever publishes a breakdown of passengers per airline? I'd love to see the growth UA, SY, and G4 are responsible for.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos