Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:22 am

Please continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382465

GUYAIR707

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 pm

JetBlue applies to fly to Guyana, see link:

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2019 ... -ferguson/

United787

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm

How is the newly reopened SXM terminal going?

danipawa

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 am

Sky High Aviation is adding Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, starting Feb 7 and Medellin and Barranquilla, Colombia starting March1 and 5 with ERJ145 service !, Plans to add Ponce, San Juan and many more destinations from SDQ this 2019

http://dominicanavuela.com/2019/01/12/s ... wKGIEz--r4

2travel2know2

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am

So this is the year CM makes it into PBM?
Wagers?
I wish CM would look at GCM too.

guyanam

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
So this is the year CM makes it into PBM?
Wagers?
I wish CM would look at GCM too.

GCM tried to get CM interested, so I assume that CM doesnt think that there is a market. Not sure if PBM is sufficiently integrated into the Americas to allow this to work. Even PY can only justify its MIA based on its AUA and GEO stops. CMs GEO works heavily because of the Cuban market as well as travel from non gateway US cities, and even from NYC when the fares are competitive.

danipawa wrote:
Sky High Aviation is adding Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, starting Feb 7 and Medellin and Barranquilla, Colombia starting March1 and 5 with ERJ145 service !, Plans to add Ponce, San Juan and many more destinations from SDQ this 2019

http://dominicanavuela.com/2019/01/12/s ... wKGIEz--r4

Interesting how the small Dominican carriers are developing with the demise of PAWA and the virtual demise of Insel.

GUYAIR707

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 pm

guyanam wrote:
CMs GEO works heavily because of the Cuban market as well as travel from non gateway US cities, and even from NYC when the fares are competitive.

Had an associate that used a travel site, Travelocity, or one of those, booked MIA-GEO and the site just fed him CM. He paid premium and had a long flight (with the layover) for him and his family because he wasn't aware.

guyanam

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 am

Not sure why anyone would use CM for MIA GEO given the alternatives are abundant. I can see JFK as the nonstop isnt always available, or can get quite expensive.

trintocan

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Happy New Year 2019 everybody. Already we see that the GEO scene is heating up with multiple options for services to MIA and JFK now. As for why the aforementioned traveller booked CM to MIA from there, it could simply be that was the sole available option to him at the time he booked. Online search engines have funny ways of pulling up these sorts of routes. Above all, though, it is good for Guyana to have more options. The big question is, with BW operating daily to JFK and CM and AA offering connections to there and B6 apparently looking to fly to JFK too, what is the future for OJ from GEO?

On another front, VS are currently operating to BGI from LHR as a seasonal addition to their regular LGW services there.

Trintocan.

2travel2know2

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm

guyanam wrote:
Not sure why anyone would use CM for MIA GEO given the alternatives are abundant. I can see JFK as the nonstop isnt always available, or can get quite expensive.
I ran a bogus CM booking MIA-PTY-GEO and noticed GEO arrival/departure is early afternoon.
Perhaps the passenger felt attracted to arrive/depart and ride that road between GEO and Georgetown proper day-time?

SELMER40

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:57 pm

United787 wrote:
How is the newly reopened SXM terminal going?

The SXM airport newsletter for January 2019, as well as all of 2018, is at https://sxmairport.com/newsletter.php

windian425

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:19 pm

This is the second year/season that VS is operating a 2x Weekly LHR service to BGI. Seams to be doing well enough on a seasonal basis.

trintocan

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:57 pm

windian425 wrote:
This is the second year/season that VS is operating a 2x Weekly LHR service to BGI. Seams to be doing well enough on a seasonal basis.

VS first ran LHR - BGI seasonally back in the Winter of 2007-08 but it did not catch on then and was not repeated for the next few years. It seems to be working for them nowadays.

Trintocan.

windian425

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

Yeah, the seasonal LHR-BGI operation in 2007/8 was really about using some LHR slots that VS would have lost if they didn't use them.

BWA900

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Back in 07/08, what a/c type did VS use on the LHR-BGI route? Would be great to see VS change to an A35K for winter 19/20.

windian425

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm

They used the B744 back in 07/08. The A35K would be nice!!!! Fingers crossed...

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:08 am

guyanam wrote:

Apart from AA's recent MIA-GEO flight, I think the only nonstop option was Surinam Airways. So, it was either a stop in POS on BW or PTY on CM. Given CM's comfort and all around good service, I'm sure people wouldn't mind using them for the right price.

gunnerman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 am

BW's MIA-POS-GEO is daily but takes 6h 30m compared with PY's MIA-GEO which takes 4h 30m - but is 3x weekly. Now that AA is 4x weekly we now have 14 weekly nonstop or one-stop flights from MIA to GEO which is great for passengers. I actually can't think when there were three airlines providing this number of flights on this route. Also from YYZ there are 7x weekly flights by BW (YYZ-POS-GEO) and from JFK there 10x weekly by BW giving a total of 31 weekly flights from north America to GEO. I wonder if this is a record.

guyanam

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:11 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
guyanam wrote:

Apart from AA's recent MIA-GEO flight, I think the only nonstop option was Surinam Airways. So, it was either a stop in POS on BW or PTY on CM. Given CM's comfort and all around good service, I'm sure people wouldn't mind using them for the right price.

CM is a longer flight than BW. Plus BW is usually the same plane. CM will always require a plane change.

gunnerman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:39 pm

What plane change? PY422 is MIA-GEO-PBM.

windian425

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm

PY uses a B737-700 to MIA.

Brickell305

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

gunnerman wrote:

I think the plane change he's referring to is traveling on CM vs BW, PY or AA. GEO-MIA is an interesting route. It went from being arguably under-served to arguably over-served in a rather short space of time. I wonder how sustainable PY's flight will continue to be now that it competes directly with AA which has the stronger brand awareness in the So. Fla region and the megahub in Miami with connections to other parts of the US and other Caribbean destinations (KIN, NAS, GCM, HAV etc.). BW should be fine as it's essentially a flight to/from POS with an extra leg with most of the MIA passengers originating/terminating in POS. CM has its vast Latam network and the Star Alliance connection to help it with the growing IAH market. I don't really see a long term role for PY unless the ability to backfill passengers from PBM is enough to keep the flight successful.

gunnerman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm

If AA takes a big chunk out of PY's MIA-GEO business, then it's hard to see how PY can sustain its MIA routes. PY has MIA-GEO-PBM 4x weekly and MIA-AUA-PBM 2x weekly, but MIA-AUA cannot come to the rescue as it is up against AA's 21x weekly and AG's 7x weekly.

On another subject, I'm wondering if B6 will finally launch JFK-GEO.

2travel2know2

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

windian425 wrote:
PY uses a B737-700 to MIA.
It has the range to fly PBM-MIA non-stop if for some reason there's a market demand to avoid AUA stop.
IMHO, If PY is forced out of GEO-MIA, then BEL transfer passengers might sustain some fair loads on PBM-MIA and perhaps, right now, there's also enough demand for 2-3 PBM-AUA-CUR-PBM + 2-3 PBM-CUR-AUA-PBM.

BWA900

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

gunnerman wrote:
If AA takes a big chunk out of PY's MIA-GEO business, then it's hard to see how PY can sustain its MIA routes. PY has MIA-GEO-PBM 4x weekly and MIA-AUA-PBM 2x weekly, but MIA-AUA cannot come to the rescue as it is up against AA's 21x weekly and AG's 7x weekly.

On another subject, I'm wondering if B6 will finally launch JFK-GEO.

More than likely B6 will enter the market and possibly with a core A321 operating that route. Would this be the first well established brand on JFK-GEO since DL axed the route?

gunnerman

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Yes if you exclude the likes of Dynamic Airways and Fly Jamaica.

DL operated JFK-GEO for five years until May 2013. Hopefully the new terminal will encourage an airline such as B6 to start service.

BigMac

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

I think the plane change he's referring to is traveling on CM vs BW, PY or AA. GEO-MIA is an interesting route. It went from being arguably under-served to arguably over-served in a rather short space of time. I wonder how sustainable PY's flight will continue to be now that it competes directly with AA which has the stronger brand awareness in the So. Fla region and the megahub in Miami with connections to other parts of the US and other Caribbean destinations (KIN, NAS, GCM, HAV etc.). BW should be fine as it's essentially a flight to/from POS with an extra leg with most of the MIA passengers originating/terminating in POS. CM has its vast Latam network and the Star Alliance connection to help it with the growing IAH market. I don't really see a long term role for PY unless the ability to backfill passengers from PBM is enough to keep the flight successful.

Don't the Guyanese "love" their free bag?
PY offers a free 1st checked bag + a "real" hot meal (don't know how long either will last though).
AA's GEO-MIA is a red-eye flight (after midnight).
I have a feeling that CM might start PTY-PBM very soon since PBM is cheaper (for Cuban) shoppers compared to GEO.
8W (Fly Always) flies a 738 (registration OM-KEX) PBM-CUR-SDQ-HAV-SCU so they must be doing something right (although the fares are sky high).

guyanam

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 pm

PBM isn't sufficient to allow PY to run a nonstop to MIA, so if they lose on the GEO then they might have problems.

AA is a strong brand and with tremendous feed at MIA. I anticipate that they will be up to daily before year end, at least at peak periods. Even NYC will feed into this route, at least until B6 enters. The latter are in the process of submitting paperwork to the GCAA and given that GEO is eager to get major brands I anticipate that this will be approved as quickly as the current quagmire in Guyana governance will allow.

Not sure what PYs long term plans are, because at one time they involved setting up GEO as a major focus point with nonstops to NYC and YY, in addition to MIA.

guyanam

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 pm

BigMac wrote:
PY offers a free 1st checked bag + a "real" hot meal (don't know how long either will last though).
I have a feeling that CM might start PTY-PBM very soon since PBM is cheaper (for Cuban) shoppers compared to GEO.
8W (Fly Always) flies a 738 (registration OM-KEX) PBM-CUR-SDQ-HAV-SCU so they must be doing something right (although the fares are sky high).

The free bag is true on the NYC more than on the FL flights. The latter are more upscale with many business passengers.

It will be interesting to see where the competition is as each airline most likely has its own group. It might well be that PY holds its own by catering to the O&D SoFL Guyanese expats who will prefer their flight times. The redeye flight back to MIA might be hard for some, and for those staying in hotels in SoFL the early arrival opens up its own challenges.

AA definitely takes the connecting traffic thru MIA, much of it probably now on BW.

Cubans select based on visa requirements. Guyana requires none and Suriname upon arrival. Whether that represents an issue of significance to Cubans is an interesting question. As to which country is cheaper, well it depends on which Chinese merchants are cheaper as well as hotel and other arrangements. The Cubans buy mainly from Chinese merchants. Transport costs to town from PBM vs. GEO will also be a factor. Cubans can only use travel agents in Cuba as their internet connectivity is poor.

baje427

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 am

I would think the Geo government is more interested in having established American carriers if PY loses out the void will be filled. Does anyone know when InterCaribbean will start their E145 operations ?

gunnerman

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:42 am

BigMac wrote:

And for MIA-GEO: AA's flights arrive at 0003 and PY's Wednesday flights depart at 0015 and arrive at 0545. None of these are tourist-friendly but I'd much rather have this instead of good schedules with bad airlines. Let's be honest: Guyana is a small destination, and AA sees a good opportunity to squeeze more out of its aircraft and crew without facing a barrage of criticism over its unfriendly schedule. (It's the same crew which operates both the outbound and inbound flights after 1h 2m on the ground at GEO.)

guyanam

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm

I dont know that any airline servicing the MIA GEO route is bad. I use AA frequently and they aren't all that good on their Caribbean routes. They are adequate. AAs service will benefit people travelling between non hub gateways and GEO. BW and PY will be confined to the O&D as transferring from non AA carriers to AA (the dominant domestic carrier in MIA) is too difficult.

That Weds PY flight might become more popular than people think as many dont like arriving at GEO late at night because of the crime.

BigMac

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:46 pm

guyanam wrote:
PBM isn't sufficient to allow PY to run a nonstop to MIA, so if they lose on the GEO then they might have problems.

AA is a strong brand and with tremendous feed at MIA. I anticipate that they will be up to daily before year end, at least at peak periods. Even NYC will feed into this route, at least until B6 enters. The latter are in the process of submitting paperwork to the GCAA and given that GEO is eager to get major brands I anticipate that this will be approved as quickly as the current quagmire in Guyana governance will allow.

Not sure what PYs long term plans are, because at one time they involved setting up GEO as a major focus point with nonstops to NYC and YY, in addition to MIA.

guyanam wrote:
BigMac wrote:

The free bag is true on the NYC more than on the FL flights. The latter are more upscale with many business passengers.

It will be interesting to see where the competition is as each airline most likely has its own group. It might well be that PY holds its own by catering to the O&D SoFL Guyanese expats who will prefer their flight times. The redeye flight back to MIA might be hard for some, and for those staying in hotels in SoFL the early arrival opens up its own challenges.

AA definitely takes the connecting traffic thru MIA, much of it probably now on BW.

Cubans select based on visa requirements. Guyana requires none and Suriname upon arrival. Whether that represents an issue of significance to Cubans is an interesting question. As to which country is cheaper, well it depends on which Chinese merchants are cheaper as well as hotel and other arrangements. The Cubans buy mainly from Chinese merchants. Transport costs to town from PBM vs. GEO will also be a factor. Cubans can only use travel agents in Cuba as their internet connectivity is poor.

gunnerman wrote:
BigMac wrote:

And for MIA-GEO: AA's flights arrive at 0003 and PY's Wednesday flights depart at 0015 and arrive at 0545. None of these are tourist-friendly but I'd much rather have this instead of good schedules with bad airlines. Let's be honest: Guyana is a small destination, and AA sees a good opportunity to squeeze more out of its aircraft and crew without facing a barrage of criticism over its unfriendly schedule. (It's the same crew which operates both the outbound and inbound flights after 1h 2m on the ground at GEO.)

The GEO market sure is getting crowded all of a sudden...
PBM isn't sufficient but that's why they have BEL/GEO to make it work.
Cubans do need to pay $40 for a "Visa On Arrival" into PBM (though a quick process by just paying the fee) which is kind of steep for Cubans I guess.
AA is definitely a strong brand (but I would consider BW a strong brand as well)
AA should definitely consider reworking their schedule assuming more than 50% of PAX stay in South Florida.
And the free 1st bag, doesn't AA offer it for some countries in Latin America?
It definitely adds up (round trip/more than 1 pax per group).
Oh and c'mon who travels to/from the US with just hand luggage (unless your stay is only a day or two)?
BW's schedule to JFK is also great (timing wise) add in the free 1st bag as well and the free meal and it's a win as well.
Isn't BW in the process of adding some kind of inflight media streaming service as well (as well as renewing their fleet)?
PY's regular GEO-MIA schedule is in the afternoon and MIA-GEO in the early evening (perfect timing).
At the moment they only have 1 737-700 operational (the second one is getting certified) which explains their 0545 arrival time Wednesday (should only be temporary).

Brickell305

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm

BigMac wrote:
guyanam wrote:

guyanam wrote:
BigMac wrote:

gunnerman wrote:
BigMac wrote:

The GEO market sure is getting crowded all of a sudden...
PBM isn't sufficient but that's why they have BEL/GEO to make it work.
Cubans do need to pay $40 for a "Visa On Arrival" into PBM (though a quick process by just paying the fee) which is kind of steep for Cubans I guess.
AA is definitely a strong brand (but I would consider BW a strong brand as well)
AA should definitely consider reworking their schedule assuming more than 50% of PAX stay in South Florida.
And the free 1st bag, doesn't AA offer it for some countries in Latin America?
It definitely adds up (round trip/more than 1 pax per group).
Oh and c'mon who travels to/from the US with just hand luggage (unless your stay is only a day or two)?
BW's schedule to JFK is also great (timing wise) add in the free 1st bag as well and the free meal and it's a win as well.
Isn't BW in the process of adding some kind of inflight media streaming service as well (as well as renewing their fleet)?
PY's regular GEO-MIA schedule is in the afternoon and MIA-GEO in the early evening (perfect timing).
At the moment they only have 1 737-700 operational (the second one is getting certified) which explains their 0545 arrival time Wednesday (should only be temporary).

First two bags are free to/from South America on AA. I think the timing of the GEO flight as gunnerman said above also has to do with using a plane that would otherwise be idle. Flying a “normal” schedule e.g. a daytime flight and return similar to what you see in the Caribbean islands would mean using an A319 at a peak time out of MIA. Better for AA to max fleet utilization and use a plane that might otherwise be idle or be used on a less lucrative flight.

leleko747

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Is American planning to use their 787-8 on Caribbean routes? Saw a pic of it in Cancun. I wonder if they might deploy it to places like Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, Barbados, St Maarten, etc.

A388

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:47 pm

leleko747 wrote:
Is American planning to use their 787-8 on Caribbean routes? Saw a pic of it in Cancun. I wonder if they might deploy it to places like Punta Cana, Santo Domingo, Barbados, St Maarten, etc.

Highly unlikely in my opinion. It won't serve its purpose to fly such short flights to the Caribbean. It can be better used elsewhere in AA's network. For this reason I don't them using the 787 to CUN permanently either.

A388

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:36 pm

A388 wrote:
leleko747 wrote:

Highly unlikely in my opinion. It won't serve its purpose to fly such short flights to the Caribbean. It can be better used elsewhere in AA's network. For this reason I don't them using the 787 to CUN permanently either.

A388
There has been times AA flies wide-body from its Deep South America routes that remain on MIA tarmac daytime to short Caribbean Central American if needed.
I'm surprised AA wouldn't use wide body MIA-POS-MIA on day-time rotations before/after Carnival on Trinidad.

gunnerman

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Almost all aircraft used from north America to the Caribbean are narrow-bodies. The only exceptions that I know of are:
1. The 763 operating AA1321 MIA-CUN up to 2 May 2019 after which it reverts to a 738
2. The 763 operating AA1570 MIA-SJU

Incidentally, there is LA593 operated with a 789 scheduled for tomorrow (18 January) MIA-CUN-SCL, good for plane spotters.

A388

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
A388 wrote:
leleko747 wrote:

A388
There has been times AA flies wide-body from its Deep South America routes that remain on MIA tarmac daytime to short Caribbean Central American if needed.
I'm surprised AA wouldn't use wide body MIA-POS-MIA on day-time rotations before/after Carnival on Trinidad.

Hi 2travel2know. It's been a long time. I hope you're doing okay my friend. You're absolutely right but the I haven't seen many widebody aircraft being used to the Caribbean. Of course they will be sent every now and then. SJU is seeing the 76W from time to time but eventually I do see AA go all-narrowbody to the Caribbean. I don't see AA sending widebody aircraft to the Caribbean on scheduled flights for extended periods but moreover on ad-hoc basis when a larger aircraft really is the only solution.

A388

Kilgen

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

CM just announced PTY-PBM. Via Twitter:
Ghim-Lay Yeo @ghimlay
.@CopaAirlines will add Paramaribo (Suriname) to its network from 6 July, with twice weekly service. The city will be the airline's 81st destination

https://twitter.com/ghimlay/status/1085924763795636224

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Kilgen wrote:
Ghim-Lay Yeo @ghimlay
.@CopaAirlines will add Paramaribo (Suriname) to its network from 6 July, with twice weekly service. The city will be the airline's 81st destination

Waiting for CM official press release.
However, that twitt comes from a person seemingly well informed on aviation matters.

Kilgen

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Kilgen wrote:
Ghim-Lay Yeo @ghimlay

However, that twitt comes from a person seemingly well informed on aviation matters.

Here is an interview in Spanish, with the announcement from CM's CEO and Vijay Chotkan, CEO of PBM Airport Management.

CM will use a B737-700 for the 2 weekly frequencies.

https://aviacionline.com/2019/01/copa-airlines-suma-a-paramaribo-como-su-destino-numero-81/

leleko747

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Almost all aircraft used from north America to the Caribbean are narrow-bodies. The only exceptions that I know of are:
1. The 763 operating AA1321 MIA-CUN up to 2 May 2019 after which it reverts to a 738
2. The 763 operating AA1570 MIA-SJU

Incidentally, there is LA593 operated with a 789 scheduled for tomorrow (18 January) MIA-CUN-SCL, good for plane spotters.

I remember seeing pics of American A330-200/300 at PUJ, probably flying from CLT.

gunnerman

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm

You're right, AA1965 is a daily CLT-PUJ operated by a 332 until 30 March 2019, then goes up to a 333 until 2 May, then it's down to a 321 for the summer until going back to a 332 for the winter season on 3 November.

BigMac

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
Kilgen wrote:
Ghim-Lay Yeo @ghimlay

The flight can already be booked (though starting July 10th)...
How much more official do you want it to be?
;)

gunnerman

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 pm

From 6 July to be exact.

2travel2know2

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

BigMac wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
Kilgen wrote:

;)
Something on CM Twitter would do.

GUYAIR707

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Cubans are required to go to the US Embassy in GEO for their immigrant visa interviews. Another reason they go to GEO.

BigMac

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:55 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
BigMac wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

;)
Something on CM Twitter would do.
gunnerman wrote:
From 6 July to be exact.

Try the Copa website.
Can only book from July 10th onwards on the Copa website (as of now... dunno whats up).

gunnerman

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:40 pm

From Amadeus direct access to CM's reservation system.

1CMAD06JULPTYPBM
** CM - COPA AIRLINES ** 170 SA 06JUL 0000
21 CM 318 C9 J9 D9 Y9 B9 PTY PBM 0917 1545 0 73G
M9 H9 Q9 K9 V9 U9 S9 O9 W9 E9 L9
T9
>