User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:16 am

Please continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1381177
 
User avatar
BOEING777EK
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 2:09 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 pm

A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 16014
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:37 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.

First great to see a secondary market.

I'd love to know the transaction prices. With the high production rate of 787s and A350s as well as A330N and A321LR EIS, there must be intense pressure on used 777 and A330 prices.
Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Just as a reminder to users: information obtained from other sources require attribution. If you copy/paste information, you must cite your source, and include your own comments per forum rules.

✈️ atcsundevil
 
audidudi
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 am

One of five retired and stored Etihad Airways B772LRs was ferried from TEV>CMN and is rumoured to be going to EGBP in England to be scrapped. However the aircraft is still at CMN as of today.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:09 am

BOEING777EK wrote:
A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.


The Russian airline?

Edit - if the 77W is going down, is it A380s “replacing” the aircraft or is Emirates just shrinking fleet size until the 777X and if formed, 787s.
 
TC957
Posts: 3243
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 pm

audidudi wrote:
One of five retired and stored Etihad Airways B772LRs was ferried from TEV>CMN and is rumoured to be going to EGBP in England to be scrapped. However the aircraft is still at CMN as of today.

Seems odd for a WFU 77L that going for parts flying via CMN if it's going from TEV to GBA. What's the reason ?
 
audidudi
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 am

TC957 wrote:
audidudi wrote:
One of five retired and stored Etihad Airways B772LRs was ferried from TEV>CMN and is rumoured to be going to EGBP in England to be scrapped. However the aircraft is still at CMN as of today.

Seems odd for a WFU 77L that going for parts flying via CMN if it's going from TEV to GBA. What's the reason ?

I have no idea, but here's confirmation that it has arrived at Kemble. And for another unknown reason, FR24 completely missed this flight, both under the reg and flight #!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/A6LRC
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 am

I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies
 
audidudi
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 am

TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies

All five were withdrawn from service between February and April 2018. Of the other four, only A6-LRA appears to have left TEV, ferrying to SBD last month.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 am

TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies


Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.
 
Swadian
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:56 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 am

jbs2886 wrote:
BOEING777EK wrote:
A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.


The Russian airline?

Edit - if the 77W is going down, is it A380s “replacing” the aircraft or is Emirates just shrinking fleet size until the 777X and if formed, 787s.


EK is taking delivery of more 77W.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 am

Swadian wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
BOEING777EK wrote:
A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.


The Russian airline?

Edit - if the 77W is going down, is it A380s “replacing” the aircraft or is Emirates just shrinking fleet size until the 777X and if formed, 787s.


EK is taking delivery of more 77W.


Thanks! I was using Wiki as a source. :banghead:
 
juliuswong
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:49 am

Swadian wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
BOEING777EK wrote:
A6-EBF, A6-EBH and A6-ECB will shortly leave the EK fleet for Royal Flight soon.


The Russian airline?

Edit - if the 77W is going down, is it A380s “replacing” the aircraft or is Emirates just shrinking fleet size until the 777X and if formed, 787s.


EK is taking delivery of more 77W.

They have completed their B77W order, with the delivery of A6-EQP few months ago. The newer ones simply replace those which are retired. They have a total 145 B77W order placed with Boeing. When the last was delivered they have 139 in total, including A6-EQP. They are now waiting for B777X delivery and firming up 787 order.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
audidudi
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 am

juliuswong wrote:
Swadian wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

The Russian airline?

Edit - if the 77W is going down, is it A380s “replacing” the aircraft or is Emirates just shrinking fleet size until the 777X and if formed, 787s.


EK is taking delivery of more 77W.

They have completed their B77W order, with the delivery of A6-EQP few months ago. The newer ones simply replace those which are retired. They have a total 145 B77W order placed with Boeing. When the last was delivered they have 139 in total, including A6-EQP. They are now waiting for B777X delivery and firming up 787 order.

So do you think the A350K order is going ahead also?
 
gabep
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:07 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 am

jbs2886 wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies


Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.


In a word: economics. They just don’t need more 77Ls. Especially, with newer more economical aircraft capable of similar mission profiles at far better costs already online or in the order books. The newest generation of widebody airliners that both Airbus and Boeing are manufacturing make it much less attractive to operate older heavier and less cost efficient types.

Gabep
 
juliuswong
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 am

audidudi wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
Swadian wrote:

EK is taking delivery of more 77W.

They have completed their B77W order, with the delivery of A6-EQP few months ago. The newer ones simply replace those which are retired. They have a total 145 B77W order placed with Boeing. When the last was delivered they have 139 in total, including A6-EQP. They are now waiting for B777X delivery and firming up 787 order.

So do you think the A350K order is going ahead also?

Hmm, I think you are talking about EY, not EK. EK has not A350 on order. I do not have privy to EY internal plan now, therefore I can't comment. Tbh, they do not need those A350 and B77X since their 787 fleet is relatively new. Anyhow we are straying off course on the topic.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -
 
audidudi
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 am

juliuswong wrote:
audidudi wrote:
juliuswong wrote:
They have completed their B77W order, with the delivery of A6-EQP few months ago. The newer ones simply replace those which are retired. They have a total 145 B77W order placed with Boeing. When the last was delivered they have 139 in total, including A6-EQP. They are now waiting for B777X delivery and firming up 787 order.

So do you think the A350K order is going ahead also?

Hmm, I think you are talking about EY, not EK. EK has not A350 on order. I do not have privy to EY internal plan now, therefore I can't comment. Tbh, they do not need those A350 and B77X since their 787 fleet is relatively new. Anyhow we are straying off course on the topic.

Apologies! I wasn't thinking straight as there were alternating threads on EK and EY aircraaft at the same time, and I didn't pay enough attention to what I was replying to!
 
User avatar
Narfish641
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 am

gabep wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies


Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.


In a word: economics. They just don’t need more 77Ls. Especially, with newer more economical aircraft capable of similar mission profiles at far better costs already online or in the order books. The newest generation of widebody airliners that both Airbus and Boeing are manufacturing make it much less attractive to operate older heavier and less cost efficient types.

Gabep


Quite sad to see them go. The 777-200LR are my most favorite widebody aircraft and seeing one getting stored for scrap is extremely sad. Alas, there are more economical aircraft like the 787, A350, 777x, and A330neo that has better performance.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738
 
jbs2886
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 am

gabep wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies


Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.


In a word: economics. They just don’t need more 77Ls. Especially, with newer more economical aircraft capable of similar mission profiles at far better costs already online or in the order books. The newest generation of widebody airliners that both Airbus and Boeing are manufacturing make it much less attractive to operate older heavier and less cost efficient types.

Gabep


I understand economics...you’ve also completely ignored the cost of acquisition. Sure, new aircraft are far more efficient, but an older aircraft at a better price can still be cheaper in the long run.

Consequently, my point was DL not acquiring could be 1) economics, 2) no need for capacity, 3) does not want to acquire from any of the ME3. There are a number of reasons.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3222
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:14 am

jbs2886 wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:
I'm sorta surprised that these 777LR couldn't find other operators.....I mean even Delta surprised me by not shaking the tree to see what conditions these Eithad birds were in,given how tight they've (DAL) been on widebodies


Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.

might know their Airframe Hours or Cycles?
 
gabep
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:07 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 am

jbs2886 wrote:
gabep wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Same here. I was hoping DL would pick them up - but they certainly have a reason they didn't, just don't know what it is.


In a word: economics. They just don’t need more 77Ls. Especially, with newer more economical aircraft capable of similar mission profiles at far better costs already online or in the order books. The newest generation of widebody airliners that both Airbus and Boeing are manufacturing make it much less attractive to operate older heavier and less cost efficient types.

Gabep

I understand economics...you’ve also completely ignored the cost of acquisition. Sure, new aircraft are far more efficient, but an older aircraft at a better price can still be cheaper in the long run.

Consequently, my point was DL not acquiring could be 1) economics, 2) no need for capacity, 3) does not want to acquire from any of the ME3. There are a number of reasons.


No, my analysis considered cost of acquisition. But that’s an often overstated and misunderstood part of the equation. Purchase price, transfer of ownership, taxes, fees, heavy maintenance checks, sourcing of new interior components—not to mention their long lead times, and countless other minutia all consprire to make an older, less economically attractive aircraft a viable option. Furthermore, considering the 77Ls narrow primary mission profile the plane just doesn’t fit into the picture like the newer, more modern products available. These newer options have a much wider band of efficiency over broader set of missions.

And, yes, you may be correct. In addition to the before mentioned economics your points, 2 and 3, may very well play a role in any carriers decision.

It’s unfortunate, but the 77L has experienced a limited run and marginal success. That said, it has performed admirably in its primary function and impressive capability, and certainly deserves appreciation.

Gabep
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: 777 Retirement/Scrapping Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 am

Delta....again and again. There are other airlines and DL doesn't buy indiscriminately.

The airline I am surprised did not make some kind of move for these is PIA. They have two on their books and could potentially have operated these derated on the wider network. Failing that it's the same story as those Easyjet 73Gs that went to Kemble at seven years old. Worth more in parts than complete. GE90 engines still have strong values after all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos