Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy

Re: Raleigh/Durham Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:09 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
“RDU-CDG was Deltas second highest yielding route I think I read”.

Please substantiate that. In the whole world? Must not be much connecting traffic, which would likely tamp down yield.

It was a Delta quarterly performance call now that I am thinking about it. If you go back and look at last year’s RDU thread, the date of the call is likely there. I don’t work for DL, so I don’t know how much is O&D or connecting.

That was never said on a DL call

uconn99

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 pm

Medium Hub Airport TATL through September:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Link thanks to user "NolaMD88fan".
Last edited by uconn99 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERJ170

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:16 pm

uconn99 wrote:

I looked at those number but it still doesn’t give me the whole picture... RDU flight didn’t look so great until spring and summer.. but that doesn’t mean the flight wasn’t profitable.. was the first class cabin full but main cabin possibly half full? I’m okay with that.. that makes a profitable flight. But if the main cabin was partial full and first/business class was mainly upgraded people.. that’s not as good.. can’t rally go by the number unless you know what they all mean..

NolaMD88fan

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

I looked at those number but it still doesn’t give me the whole picture... RDU flight didn’t look so great until spring and summer.. but that doesn’t mean the flight wasn’t profitable.. was the first class cabin full but main cabin possibly half full? I’m okay with that.. that makes a profitable flight. But if the main cabin was partial full and first/business class was mainly upgraded people.. that’s not as good.. can’t rally go by the number unless you know what they all mean..

Unfortunately, it is impossible to discern that level of scrutiny from T-100 data. The data only includes total number of seats and a passengers on a monthly basis. It does not differentiate between classes, and it does not provide any form of yield data. Of course, it's not a surprise that airlines don't want to divulge yield data on specific routes. If the yield data were publicly available, I would definitely include it.

My spreadsheet is simply a look at number of seats offered on a route, number of passengers using a route, and the percentage of offered seats filled by passengers on a route. Nothing else can be gleaned from the data. We all know that a full flight does not necessarily mean the flight is profitable, and vice versa for a flight that flies only 2/3rds full. Take the data for what is, a simple accounting of capacity, passengers, and load factors on a monthly and annualized basis.

Also, thanks for the shoutout uconn99. I had no idea people outside of the New Orleans thread were looking at this stuff.

Midwestindy

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:51 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

Unfortunately, it is impossible to discern that level of scrutiny from T-100 data. The data only includes total number of seats and a passengers on a monthly basis. It does not differentiate between classes, and it does not provide any form of yield data. Of course, it's not a surprise that airlines don't want to divulge yield data on specific routes. If the yield data were publicly available, I would definitely include it.

My spreadsheet is simply a look at number of seats offered on a route, number of passengers using a route, and the percentage of offered seats filled by passengers on a route. Nothing else can be gleaned from the data. We all know that a full flight does not necessarily mean the flight is profitable, and vice versa for a flight that flies only 2/3rds full. Take the data for what is, a simple accounting of capacity, passengers, and load factors on a monthly and annualized basis.

Also, thanks for the shoutout uconn99. I had no idea people outside of the New Orleans thread were looking at this stuff.

Not entirely true, yield data is shown in the origin and destination survey, however that is for domestic data only.

It would be very hard for the US gov to get yield data on int'l flights because of the European/Asia/South America POS throwing everything off.

You aren't the only one who posts Loads either, quite a few posters do it including myself and Jshank and probably some others as well.

ERJ170

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Don’t get me wrong.. it’s very useful information and a great asset, but one can’t say a flight is great or poor based solely on the numbers.. but it is good to see how well the flights are doing

uconn99

Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:55 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

I enjoy seeing your updated spreadsheet when posted since I follow the BDL-DUB flight closely. I have tried looking at the link you provided for T100 data but find it difficult to navigate. Any way to easily download medium and small sized TATL market data? If you would like to send me a private message instead feel free. I would appreciate it!

Midwestindy

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:09 pm

uconn99 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

I enjoy seeing your updated spreadsheet when posted since I follow the BDL-DUB flight closely. I have tried looking at the link you provided for T100 data but find it difficult to navigate. Any way to easily download medium and small sized TATL market data? If you would like to send me a private message instead feel free. I would appreciate it!

Some people use this site: http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F4SD ... htm#SUBMIT

But it tends to be 1-3 months behind the actual data

Anyone who is wondering:
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/Tables.as ... 20Carriers

-In the T-100 International Segment (All Carriers) box click "download"
-Once you reach the "Air Carriers : T-100 International Segment (All Carriers)" page
- Filter year and month to the time period you desire
- Under Fieldname: unselect all previous values, then select DepScheduled, DepPerformed, Available Seats, Non-Stop Segment Passengers Transported, Non-Stop Segment
Freight Transported (optional), Carrier Name, Origin Airport, Destination Airport, Aircraft Type (optional), Year, Month
- Then click "download"
- That should give you the data you want for all Int'l routes

NolaMD88fan

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Sorry for hijacking the RDU thread with my post. Also, thanks to MidwestIndy for the assist to uconn99. Back to RDU specific discussion...RDU is a rapidly growing area with a big pharma/tech workforce, so more route announcements are inevitable. Wouldn't be shocked to see additional SkyTeam service over the next few years given how well the the CDG flight appears to be doing, and the focus that DL is placing on the market.

ERJ170

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:45 pm

I would love to see some Alliance or JV flights.. seems like most other airports of similar size have them except RDU. Don’t get me wrong.. happy with the current service.. but more alliance flights would be spectacular

Fargo

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:42 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
I would love to see some Alliance or JV flights.. seems like most other airports of similar size have them except RDU. Don’t get me wrong.. happy with the current service.. but more alliance flights would be spectacular

Wouldn't be surprised to see LH come at some point.

rajincajun01

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:17 am

Fargo wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

If that happens, you can kiss AMS service goodbye.

Fargo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:42 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
ERJ170 wrote:

Maybe. I don't think it's likely LH comes to town anyway, but what if within the next decade, RDU becomes big enough to support TATL flights to all 4 major alliance hubs (LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA), even if they aren't all daily?

rajincajun01

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:55 am

Fargo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Maybe. I don't think it's likely LH comes to town anyway, but what if within the next decade, RDU becomes big enough to support TATL flights to all 4 major alliance hubs (LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA), even if they aren't all daily?

In a decade or so, maybe. RDU doesn’t currently have the infrastructure to support all of those flights at once plus any other international from Caribbean/Mexico.

Fargo

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:32 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

In a decade or so, maybe. RDU doesn’t currently have the infrastructure to support all of those flights at once plus any other international from Caribbean/Mexico.

Since I don’t live in RDU, educate me. How many pax per hour can the customs hall process, how many wide body gates are there and what times do the existing TATL flights arrive?

ERJ170

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:34 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

RDU has the infrastructure.. they just can’t have them all coming in and staying during the same period.. international flight could arrive in the morning or later at night... just not between 2-6..

uconn99

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:41 am

Midwestindy wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Some people use this site: http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F4SD ... htm#SUBMIT

But it tends to be 1-3 months behind the actual data

Anyone who is wondering:
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/Tables.as ... 20Carriers

-In the T-100 International Segment (All Carriers) box click "download"
-Once you reach the "Air Carriers : T-100 International Segment (All Carriers)" page
- Filter year and month to the time period you desire
- Under Fieldname: unselect all previous values, then select DepScheduled, DepPerformed, Available Seats, Non-Stop Segment Passengers Transported, Non-Stop Segment
Freight Transported (optional), Carrier Name, Origin Airport, Destination Airport, Aircraft Type (optional), Year, Month
- Then click "download"
- That should give you the data you want for all Int'l routes

Much appreciated and sorry for the hijacking as well.

NCavi8tor

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 am

If you think about it Delta is the key player in the RTP area and the airport is growing faster than expected. That being stated I believe that Delta will eventually have change the CDG service to an A330-200 and bring either B757/B767 service to AMS. I can also see Mexico City being a future destination with the ideal slot swaps within the market operated by either AeroMexico or Delta.

Regionally, I also see Delta testing the waters to Dallas/Fort Worth & Denver operated by GoJet or Endeavor Air.

ERJ170

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:30 pm

NCavi8tor wrote:
If you think about it Delta is the key player in the RTP area and the airport is growing faster than expected. That being stated I believe that Delta will eventually have change the CDG service to an A330-200 and bring either B757/B767 service to AMS. I can also see Mexico City being a future destination with the ideal slot swaps within the market operated by either AeroMexico or Delta.

Regionally, I also see Delta testing the waters to Dallas/Fort Worth & Denver operated by GoJet or Endeavor Air.

Of the destinations added, they are mostly business markets... so we have to look at what major business markets are left unserved from RDU... DFW, YYZ, BAY,... that’s about all I can think of.. other cities added would start going into leisure markets which are more for connections or less profit... so DL may be at its pinnacle... we shall have to see.. international is a much larger investment and takes time...

rajincajun01

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:56 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

RDU has the infrastructure.. they just can’t have them all coming in and staying during the same period.. international flight could arrive in the morning or later at night... just not between 2-6..

That’s why I said at once. If you move those flights to a morning departure, you severely hamper demand of business travelers who would lose an entire day of work. Not many would want to wait until a 9-10PM departure, as the aircraft need about two hours to turnaround. You would also lose a good amount of convenient connections to India and Africa.

jplatts

Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:13 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
NCavi8tor wrote:

Of the destinations added, they are mostly business markets... so we have to look at what major business markets are left unserved from RDU... DFW, YYZ, BAY,... that’s about all I can think of.. other cities added would start going into leisure markets which are more for connections or less profit... so DL may be at its pinnacle... we shall have to see.. international is a much larger investment and takes time...

I agree that RDU-DFW nonstop service could be brought back by DL since DL used to serve DFW nonstop from RDU back when DL had a hub at DFW. DFW is also one of the top destinations traveled to from RDU that isn't currently served nonstop from RDU on DL.

In addition, NK adding RDU-DFW nonstop service might happen with DFW being one of the largest NK stations.

DL747400

Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 pm

NCavi8tor wrote:

I am not at all convinced about RDU-DEN.

Definitely see RDU-DFW (not IF, but WHEN) as a prime candidate for mainline service using the A220 for various reasons.

RDUDDJI

Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:29 pm

Fargo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Since I don’t live in RDU, educate me. How many pax per hour can the customs hall process, how many wide body gates are there and what times do the existing TATL flights arrive?

I don't know that anyone besides CBP has that exact info. From my experience (and I go through there a few times a year) if would depend on the timing. For TATL flights, if they are afternoon arrivals (like CDG and LHR), then you could maybe add one more flight arriving in that 18-1900Z hr before they'd need to likely expand the FIS. IIRC there's 6 immigration positions, and currently all airlines share one (large) baggage belt. It can get hectic if both TATL widebodies come in at the same time, but every FIS deals with "compacted demand" issues at times.

I think there are 3 gates on the NW end of Terminal 2 that can accommodate wide-bodies. Unclear how many they can accom at one time though. It wouldn't be super difficult to expand the sterile CBP corridor to add more gates. I think that end of the terminal was designed with that in mind. For narrowbodies, it would be pretty easy to just add escalators to the even "C" gates to connect to the corridor since it runs right overhead. Might be a little more difficult for widebodies since I doubt they will fit in that alleyway (or at least would require being towed out of the alley).

rajincajun01

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:51 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
Fargo wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I don't know that anyone besides CBP has that exact info. From my experience (and I go through there a few times a year) if would depend on the timing. For TATL flights, if they are afternoon arrivals (like CDG and LHR), then you could maybe add one more flight arriving in that 18-1900Z hr before they'd need to likely expand the FIS. IIRC there's 6 immigration positions, and currently all airlines share one (large) baggage belt. It can get hectic if both TATL widebodies come in at the same time, but every FIS deals with "compacted demand" issues at times.

I think there are 3 gates on the NW end of Terminal 2 that can accommodate wide-bodies. Unclear how many they can accom at one time though. It wouldn't be super difficult to expand the sterile CBP corridor to add more gates. I think that end of the terminal was designed with that in mind. For narrowbodies, it would be pretty easy to just add escalators to the even "C" gates to connect to the corridor since it runs right overhead. Might be a little more difficult for widebodies since I doubt they will fit in that alleyway (or at least would require being towed out of the alley).

RDUAA has a plan for three wide bodies if needed. It would require closing the taxiway behind C21-23 because the tail would be sticking out. They also will add a temp barrier around Bag Claim 2 to put it inside the customs area.

Keep in mind though that these planes need to be on the ground around 2 hours or more.

NCavi8tor

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:36 am

American Airlines LHR 173 Gate C25 B777-200ER
Delta Airlines CDG 231 Gate C24 A330-200 "Since B767 is being Replaced"
Delta Airlines AMS "31" Gate C23 B757-200

casinterest

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:54 am

Why not run the AMS flight as an evening/late red eye special?
Leave AMS around 16:30, and arrive at RDU at 20:00. Leave RDU at 22:30 /23 and arrive at AMS around noon.
This would allow London or Paris flights to clear out and give a 2nd bank of options to travelers continuing to other destinations.

ERJ170

Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:56 am

[*]
NCavi8tor wrote:
American Airlines LHR 173 Gate C25 B777-200ER
Delta Airlines CDG 231 Gate C24 A330-200 "Since B767 is being Replaced"
Delta Airlines AMS "31" Gate C23 B757-200

So where does this come from?

ERJ170

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:19 pm

So does anyone know how large the UA club will be and has opening day been set? Also, I know DL already expanded their club. Is there space for further expansion? Lastly, is there a space available for another lounge in T2 or are all spots taken?

Please and Thank you!

rajincajun01

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:55 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
So does anyone know how large the UA club will be and has opening day been set? Also, I know DL already expanded their club. Is there space for further expansion? Lastly, is there a space available for another lounge in T2 or are all spots taken?

Please and Thank you!

To my knowledge, AA and DL clubs are maxed out. I am assuming the UA club will be about the same size as the old US club.

ERJ170

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:03 am

So today, Delta starts Chicago-ORD service 3x E75. Hopefully this service is successful. PIT and MSY start next for Delta. And later next week, Via Air debuts. Wonder when those 3 additional flights will be announced (or if they will be around by the end of summer). I can’t wait for the 4 gates to open up in T1.. but with F9 saying hard stand boar or else.. wonder if they will convert 1 to non jetbridge or if they can’t make a gate out of no gate to bring it up to 5 boarding area down there.. what will Happen?

Rafale9312

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:45 am

ERJ170 wrote:
So today, Delta starts Chicago-ORD service 3x E75. Hopefully this service is successful. PIT and MSY start next for Delta. And later next week, Via Air debuts. Wonder when those 3 additional flights will be announced (or if they will be around by the end of summer). I can’t wait for the 4 gates to open up in T1.. but with F9 saying hard stand boar or else.. wonder if they will convert 1 to non jetbridge or if they can’t make a gate out of no gate to bring it up to 5 boarding area down there.. what will Happen?

Bizarrely, ORD actually started on the 1st and the route is being served with CRJ7/9s instead, or at least for now. I'm sure PIT was a long time coming, I'd be surprised if AA stays on the route now. I'm still surprised about DL serving MSY on weekends to try to serve the "leisure traveler", when there's 3 airlines (soon to be 4) filling the demand for that market. And I imagine that RDU will find a way to accommodate hard stand boarding for F9, but I doubt it's a high priority.

casinterest

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

So I wonder what is going on with via?

The announcements all say the 11th, but the only bookable days on their website say April 28---->

Indy

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Anyone out at RDU now? Also, why is one of the runways closed?

ERJ170

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 pm

I think one is being rehabilitated... a short stop measure until the new runway can be built... as a new resident, you should look at Vision 2040 to get caught up.. then start championing the RDU scene

Indy

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:31 pm

It is great living just 10 minutes from the airport.

RDUDDJI

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Looks like the MUC-CLT flight diverted to RDU today. Someone grab a photo of that A350, might be the first A350 to visit RDU.

Cebo29

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:00 am

Several LH Munich flights have diverted to RDU in the last few weeks as storms keep popping up southwest of us ..Seen several A330’s but the A350 should be a sight for sore eyes there...enjoy

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 am

ERJ170 wrote:
I think one is being rehabilitated... a short stop measure until the new runway can be built... as a new resident, you should look at Vision 2040 to get caught up.. then start championing the RDU scene

They are rehabbing 5L/23L right now. Besides the wide body arrivals and departures between 18-22Z, pretty much all (commercial) traffic has been on 5R/23L

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:09 am

Cebo29 wrote:
Several LH Munich flights have diverted to RDU in the last few weeks as storms keep popping up southwest of us ..Seen several A330’s but the A350 should be a sight for sore eyes there...enjoy

A ramper friend of mine mentioned that. Sent me a pic of the A350 today, but since it’s not my pic I can’t post it.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

ERJ170

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:04 pm

I would much rather have the 787 show up on a daily basis... the right size plane for the RDU market

Indy

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:29 am

I found out tonight that apparently RDU TSA made a decent mistake . I am talking to my girlfriend (currently in OKC on a trip) and she was digging through her backpack -- which she brought on her flight out of RDU -- and found she had her pocket knife in it. This isn't a small knife either. This thing is sizable. If she were a bad person she could have done serious damage with it. How in the world do they miss a relatively large object like this? It wasn't like they were super busy either. The line at security was short at the time she went through.

CanesFan

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

ViaAir inaugural flight pushed back a few weeks to April 28.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/ne ... tives.html

Indy

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:12 pm

Anyone going to be at the RDU observation tower later this afternoon?

rajincajun01

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:54 am

Indy wrote:
I found out tonight that apparently RDU TSA made a decent mistake . I am talking to my girlfriend (currently in OKC on a trip) and she was digging through her backpack -- which she brought on her flight out of RDU -- and found she had her pocket knife in it. This isn't a small knife either. This thing is sizable. If she were a bad person she could have done serious damage with it. How in the world do they miss a relatively large object like this? It wasn't like they were super busy either. The line at security was short at the time she went through.

My wife did the same thing on a recent trip. We had gone through TSA at AUS, SHV, and DAL. None saw it. She realized she had it when we got home.

RDUDDJI

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Indy wrote:

It happens. Thankfully, it seems to be rare. From my experience you're probably at least 100x more likely to get stopped with something that's later found to be harmless (after bag check, ETD, etc.) than get by with contraband.

Indy

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 am

It was nice getting out to the RDU observation park this weekend. Such a beautiful place to spend the day. There is that one unfortunate building in the way that blocks part of the view of the runway. But still a great place to hang out. Nice seeing some JetBlue activity. Not used to that out at IND.

ERJ170

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:03 am

Looks like Via Air pushes back again to late June due to pilot shortage. Who thinks they are likely to launch service at all? And WHEN is Westjet or AM gonna arrive?

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:53 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
And WHEN is Westjet or AM gonna arrive?

WestJet, yes. But I just can't see Aeromexico coming any time in the next few years.

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Indy wrote:
It was nice getting out to the RDU observation park this weekend. Such a beautiful place to spend the day. There is that one unfortunate building in the way that blocks part of the view of the runway. But still a great place to hang out. Nice seeing some JetBlue activity. Not used to that out at IND.

Agreed, not surprising that it's a UNC building ruining the view...

The old observation area used to be just NW of 5L/23R. It closed probably 20+ years ago now (along with the access road), but it offered a great view of traffic on that RWY. It was an awesome spot in the AA hub days. You can still see the road on Google Maps with the satellite view but I don't see the parking lot anymore. Used to run between Aviation Parkway and Lumley Road pretty much parallel to 5L/23R. I think the airport either bought it and closed it, or already owned it and decided to close it. I know that area would now be in the middle of where they want to move 5L/23R to allow expansion of T2.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos