Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NolaMD88fan

Re: New Orleans Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 am

braniff2hav wrote:
Anyone catch pics of the AA777-200 that flew the eagles in?

Here ya go. Credit to a member of the local spotters group page.

DJSNOLA

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Air Force One should be around today

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:52 pm

NK adding daily flight to RDU. This puts NK at 20 non-stop destinations from MSY. Service begins May 2nd.

msycajun

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:01 pm

At over 160PDEW, that route has been overdue for a daily service for a while now. WN and DL have been caught sleeping on that one.

I think it's notable that MSY has been included with most of their large bases for new cities, even over DFW and IAH. That suggests to me that there is a long-term strategy for MSY. I think it's just a matter of time for OAK, SAN, PHX, IND, PIT, and maybe RIC and BDL and of course hoping for a few international routes as well. I'm also curious to see when and if we'll see more frequency on existing routes. IAH and MCO in particularly would be nice to have 2 daily and it would be nice to see some of MSP/CLE/CMH/PHL go daily as well.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm

msycajun wrote:
At over 160PDEW, that route has been overdue for a daily service for a while now. WN and DL have been caught sleeping on that one.

I think it's notable that MSY has been included with most of their large bases for new cities, even over DFW and IAH. That suggests to me that there is a long-term strategy for MSY. I think it's just a matter of time for OAK, SAN, PHX, IND, PIT, and maybe RIC and BDL and of course hoping for a few international routes as well. I'm also curious to see when and if we'll see more frequency on existing routes. IAH and MCO in particularly would be nice to have 2 daily and it would be nice to see some of MSP/CLE/CMH/PHL go daily as well.

DL really missed the boat for sure. NK's product isn't actually that bad as long as you know what you are getting ahead of time. I'm pretty certain NK does go 2x daily to certain routes during peak travel season other than FLL. Maybe we'll see them extend that to year round for a few of the larger markets. All of the destinations listed above would be great to see added, and I would throw MYR into the mix. It's a pretty large seasonal operation, so it might work from here. Of course, we're all waiting to see if they add SAP or another central American destination. SJU would be a nice add as well.

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
msycajun wrote:

DL really missed the boat for sure. NK's product isn't actually that bad as long as you know what you are getting ahead of time. I'm pretty certain NK does go 2x daily to certain routes during peak travel season other than FLL. Maybe we'll see them extend that to year round for a few of the larger markets. All of the destinations listed above would be great to see added, and I would throw MYR into the mix. It's a pretty large seasonal operation, so it might work from here. Of course, we're all waiting to see if they add SAP or another central American destination. SJU would be a nice add as well.

i agree .. if you know what matters to you as far as conveniences go I prefer NK to WN personally

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 am

NK is going to have 4 gates at the North Terminal, and I’ve heard they’ll eventually be at 30 departures a day. There’s more to come.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
NK is going to have 4 gates at the North Terminal, and I’ve heard they’ll eventually be at 30 departures a day. There’s more to come.

Wow! Really amazing growth. At 4 gates, I suspect we'll see additional routes or increases in frequency announced.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 am

msycajun wrote:
That suggests to me that there is a long-term strategy for MSY.

Your lips to God's ears! :pray: :pray: :pray:

SunsetLimited wrote:

Was just about to ask how many gates. Would love to know what their current percentage of O&D vs transfer is.... they're almost to the point where they can get any potential int'l transfers to just about every significant destination in the country, especially if/when they start adding some additional frequencies to extant routes.

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:

SunsetLimited wrote:

Was just about to ask how many gates. Would love to know what their current percentage of O&D vs transfer is.... they're almost to the point where they can get any potential int'l transfers to just about every significant destination in the country, especially if/when they start adding some additional frequencies to extant routes.

this is the one airline that i expect to ramp up at the new terminal.. i know we say new terminal doesnt matter but we are already seeing nk announce new routes starting in may

SunsetLimited

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Have also heard a "lot" of rumors recently from people who'd know that a May opening might not happen. Just a ton of interior build out still to do, from what I understand. But, we'll see.

msycajun

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm

There are a couple of substantial change orders on this week's board agenda, but nothing to indicate a delay in opening at this point. Less than four months to go now.

Also looks like Vino Volo was selected for the concourse A wine concept.

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Publications/JanuaryAgenda-FINAL.pdf

jbs2886

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:14 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
msycajun wrote:

SunsetLimited wrote:

this is the one airline that i expect to ramp up at the new terminal.. i know we say new terminal doesnt matter but we are already seeing nk announce new routes starting in may

Or because May is generally the start of the summer seasonal flying? Which is when a lot of this other non-MSY flying starts, too. The terminal opening is irrelevant. Frankly, MSY would pay for the switchover if an airline cared.

msyflyer

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
Have also heard a "lot" of rumors recently from people who'd know that a May opening might not happen. Just a ton of interior build out still to do, from what I understand. But, we'll see.

I've been told the same thing. I've been told the airport has known that May wasn't a possibility for months but they refuse to push it back.

msycajun

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:12 pm

msyflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

I've been told the same thing. I've been told the airport has known that May wasn't a possibility for months but they refuse to push it back.

Seems like being behind on the build-outs would be the contractor’s or vendor’s problem. Why should the board let them off the hook and give them extra time? Especially when they’ve spent a lot of money planning and publicizing the May opening date. Unless the sewer line issue delayed the start of the interior build-outs.

Now the bigger question would be if the federal shutdown has a delay in the opening. That is something that might be unavoidable if the TSA and FAA aren’t able to stay on track.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 pm

msycajun wrote:
msyflyer wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Seems like being behind on the build-outs would be the contractor’s or vendor’s problem. Why should the board let them off the hook and give them extra time? Especially when they’ve spent a lot of money planning and publicizing the May opening date. Unless the sewer line issue delayed the start of the interior build-outs.

Now the bigger question would be if the federal shutdown has a delay in the opening. That is something that might be unavoidable if the TSA and FAA aren’t able to stay on track.

I totally agree. I think we'll see the airport open even if all of the vendors are not ready yet. The seating, gates, check-in, baggage claim, etc. will in all likelihood be ready to go by then, so the airport should be able to serve it's main purpose of processing people on and off of an airplane. I think the govt. shutdown will be over soon. Once people start getting kicked out of section 8 housing and losing SNAP benefits in March, Congress will be forced to act. You don't want to have mass civil unrest.

AirFiero

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 pm

msycajun wrote:

Do you have a PDEW for SJC?

msyflyer

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:48 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
msycajun wrote:
msyflyer wrote:

I totally agree. I think we'll see the airport open even if all of the vendors are not ready yet. The seating, gates, check-in, baggage claim, etc. will in all likelihood be ready to go by then, so the airport should be able to serve it's main purpose of processing people on and off of an airplane. I think the govt. shutdown will be over soon. Once people start getting kicked out of section 8 housing and losing SNAP benefits in March, Congress will be forced to act. You don't want to have mass civil unrest.

My understanding is that it will not be even able to do that. For a new airport, they start running tests on systems months in advance. They have not even completed the installation of most of this equipment.

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Heres my question: exactly what culpability does the CMAR have on these delays? whats the point of that if they arent responsible and there isnt a reason for any buildout delays inside the airport if a sewer pipe on the exterior is being redone... that shouldnt have any bearing... everyone here agreed that while the sewer line was an issue it was probably a scapegoat because there was no way that airport would have been ready next month ... like zero chance at the time and May is starting to look tough

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:39 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

maybe the tsa lady knew what she was talking about... i can see the airport using the government shutdown as anexcuse to push it back too even though thats not probably the real reason...

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:26 pm

msyflyer wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:
msycajun wrote:

My understanding is that it will not be even able to do that. For a new airport, they start running tests on systems months in advance. They have not even completed the installation of most of this equipment.

What equipment specifically? The baggage system looked nearly complete in photos from December 21st. Hard to believe it isn't basically finished now. The photos are below. Looking forward to seeing the progress made over the last month or so when photos are updated.

It looks like the baggage system is pretty much done from these photos. Even the ceiling support system is being placed below the baggage system that runs along the roof.

December photos show escalators are basically done.

Gates look basically done in this part of Concourse C in mid-December.

DJSNOLA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:48 pm

those photos give me hope and I do recall at least some notice to proceeds for vendors were handed out to some in November... so i still think its possible we make it its just a question of what all is going to be open... def takes some time to train staff but luggage is probably the biggest one so if they are already testing them then thats good to hear

SunsetLimited

Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 am

An employee for the BA ground handler told me yesterday that they are going to daily service after the new terminal opens. A VP was in town for a meeting and shared the news (I saw him, as well). Take it for what it’s worth.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 am

Great news!

DJSNOLA

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Great news!

Makes sense to me and if true this again does say the new terminal will have some positive effects on airtravel options no matter what some people on here keep arguing

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
they are going to daily service

msycajun

Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:57 pm

AirFiero wrote:
msycajun wrote:

As of Q2 2018 the breakdown for the Bay Area was:
SFO: 350 PDEW
OAK: 164
SJC: 64

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:19 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
they are going to daily service

Wonder if they'll upgauge the capacity too?

Imagine getting daily + 4class in the same year? Would be almost just as great as getting two new intercons in the same year, a la 2017.

AirFiero

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:38 pm

msycajun wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
msycajun wrote:

As of Q2 2018 the breakdown for the Bay Area was:
SFO: 350 PDEW
OAK: 164
SJC: 64

Thanks, Cajun! Have a bowl of gumbo for me? :D

Not enough traffic for an SJC daily, unless SJC can steal some SFO passengers. Might be possible for WN as long as they don’t fly the route from SFO.

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Might be possible for WN as long as they don’t fly the route from SFO.

But they do fly MSY-OAK.... in addition to their MSY-SJC flight. ;)

AirFiero

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:18 am

LAX772LR wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Judging by the numbers provided, the Bay Area can support two dailies. Is OAK-MSY daily?

LAX772LR

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:10 am

AirFiero wrote:
Judging by the numbers provided, the Bay Area can support two dailies.

MSY has nonstop service to all three Bay Area airports.

UA to SFO
AS to SFO
WN to OAK
WN to SJC

AirFiero wrote:
Is OAK-MSY daily?

Yes

msycajun

Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:15 am

AirFiero wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Judging by the numbers provided, the Bay Area can support two dailies. Is OAK-MSY daily?

Well...it currently supports 3-4 daily. UA goes 2 daily to SFO seasonally, plus daily AS to SFO and WN daily to OAK and 1 weekly to SJC (and SMF). At just under 600 PDEW to all three, that should be enough to support 5 or 6 flights at least seasonally. I wouldn't be surprised to see WN go daily to SJC and NK at OAK in the near future.

LAX772LR

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33 am

msycajun wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see WN go daily to SJC and NK at OAK in the near future.

Same.

I'm still sorta surprised that WN hasn't tried SNA-MSY yet, especially if the ship continues to Florida.

jplatts

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
I'm still sorta surprised that WN hasn't tried SNA-MSY yet, especially if the ship continues to Florida.

SNA has slot restrictions, gate limits, and limits on the number of total passengers per year, and WN had dropped some flights out of SNA when it lost slots at SNA. The capacity restrictions at SNA is one reason why SNA-MSY hasn't been added by WN.

AirFiero

Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:46 pm

msycajun wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Well...it currently supports 3-4 daily. UA goes 2 daily to SFO seasonally, plus daily AS to SFO and WN daily to OAK and 1 weekly to SJC (and SMF). At just under 600 PDEW to all three, that should be enough to support 5 or 6 flights at least seasonally. I wouldn't be surprised to see WN go daily to SJC and NK at OAK in the near future.

I didn’t know AS flies SFO-MSY, let alone daily. So yes, I can see WN going daily from SJC. Maybe AS will jump at it first?

Edit, I should have remembered that UA has flown the route for some time. I was focused on WN, but perhaps that’s considered a different market?

msycajun

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm

In case it was missed here, DL is started a Sat/Sun RDU service on a CR9 this summer. Appears to go away for late Aug/Sept and back in Oct.

Looking at the growth on both ends, I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see multiple daily between NK/DL and maybe WN, similar to how AUS is going from 1 daily to 4+ in just a few years.

LAX772LR

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 am

Seems BA ground handlers and staff have been informed that daily LHR nonstop service is imminent, but with no specific date given, only after terminal move.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:10 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Seems BA ground handlers and staff have been informed that daily LHR nonstop service is imminent, but with no specific date given, only after terminal move.

I'm thinking they will announce the daily flights for W20 which starts in late October. I think the S19 schedule would be pretty much set at this point since it starts up in late March.

SeanM1997

Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:39 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Do you have a source for this?

DJSNOLA

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:46 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'm thinking they will announce the daily flights for W20 which starts in late October. I think the S19 schedule would be pretty much set at this point since it starts up in late March.

that would make some sense ... also the wine bar concept and third party lounge will definitely be ready by then and it will take some time for them to market the new days etc... a summer launch is still possible but that would seem to be close... plus i think launching daily service without having to deal with Condors competition in the fall just makes sense to me

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:24 am

October and November stats posted by the airport today. October traffic was up 8.4% to 1,172,523, and November traffic was up 6.2% to 1,149,683. YTD traffic was up 9.9% to 12,056,235 passengers. The airport was the 38th busiest in the nation through November, and it was positioned between OAK and RDU.

http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/October2018.pdf
http://www.flymsy.com/Files/Press/November2018.pdf

Estimated international carrier load factor (October):

AC: 91.8% full outbound (MSY-YYZ) 2078 pax/2263 seats
92.3% full inbound (YYZ-MSY) 2089 pax/2263 seats
92.1% full combined 4167 pax/4526 seats

BA: 86.4% full outbound (MSY-LHR) 4252 pax/4922 seats
89.9% full inbound (LHR-MSY) 4426 pax/4922 seats
88.2% full combined 8678 pax/9844 seats

CM: 67.8% full outbound (MSY-PTY) 1514 pax/2232 seats
68.7% full inbound (PTY-MSY) 1533 pax/2232 seats
68.3% full combined 3047 pax/4464 seats

Estimated international carrier load factor (November):

AC: 85.3% full outbound (MSY-YYZ) 1868 pax/2190 seats
89.0% full inbound (YYZ-MSY) 1950 pax/2190 seats
87.2% full combined 3818 pax/4380 seats

BA: 79.9% full outbound (MSY-LHR) 3760 pax/4708 seats
76.0% full inbound (LHR-MSY) 3577 pax/4708 seats
77.9% full combined 7337 pax/9416 seats

CM: 86.2% full outbound (MSY-PTY) 1818 pax/2108 seats
82.4% full inbound (PTY-MSY) 1736 pax/2108 seats
84.3% full combined 3554 pax/4216 seats

NolaMD88fan

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:28 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

A person who works at the airport for a Oneworld airline.

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Read the first six words in the post. ;)

NolaMD88fan wrote:
I'm thinking they will announce the daily flights for W20 which starts in late October.

Definitely plausible; they seem to have an affinity for that time frame vis-a-vis that market:

They announced service in October 2016, and added a frequency in October 2017. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go daily, October 2019.

DJSNOLA

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:06 pm

So does this mean they are going with wood now? they are painting the celing a dark color and im not sure that would be nescessary or would work with the mesh ? so maybe the rumors of wood ceiling treatment being expanded were true.. seems to be pointing that way

msycajun

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:13 pm

It looks like WN is pulling out of MEX completely. I wonder if MEX demand is that weak or WN is just having a difficult time making it work. Hopefully the decrease in capacity makes MSY-MEX more appealing to DL/AM or NK decides to take the slots and give it a try.

SunsetLimited

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:30 pm

No way will NK add MSY-MEX. They don't have the right type of aircraft.

AM with an E-jet makes sense. Hopefully they'll pull the trigger (again). 2019 is a much better time to start the route than 2010 was, at least in terms of how the New Orleans region is doing from an economic and visitor perspective.

AM @ MSY history:

* Inaugurated service in 1991, with a daily MD-80 to both CUN and MEX. In the mid 90's, the route transitioned to a 4X weekly DC9-30 with same plane service MSY-CUN-MEX. In the year or so before the route was discontinued (2000 I think?), it was a 2X weekly DC9-30 to CUN.
* Resumed service in 2009 with a daily ERJ to MEX. Route lasted from July 2009 to February, 2010.

Jshank83

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 am

msycajun wrote:
It looks like WN is pulling out of MEX completely. I wonder if MEX demand is that weak or WN is just having a difficult time making it work. Hopefully the decrease in capacity makes MSY-MEX more appealing to DL/AM or NK decides to take the slots and give it a try.

Probably a little of both. It isn't like WN is the only airline backing off MEX. Almost everyone else is doing it also.

DJSNOLA

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 am

Jshank83 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

Probably a little of both. It isn't like WN is the only airline backing off MEX. Almost everyone else is doing it also.

werent they supposed to build a new airport there too and that got canceled?

Jshank83

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:08 am

DJSNOLA wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
msycajun wrote:

werent they supposed to build a new airport there too and that got canceled?

I think it’s already partially built. And they still quit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos