Orlando Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:30 am

Continue from last year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382579

dabpit

Re: Orlando Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:50 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Quite a few reductions to Brazil, from DL ending GRU to JJ ending GIG and FOR. However, GOL gives DL customers great connectivity to Brazil and vice versa.

Quite an impressive year. Growth will slow until C opens, theres going to be a lot of reshuffle going on with airlines, I would assume well hear about this in 2019.

Hopefully, 2019 is the year we get a daily flight to Paris on Delta or AirFrance, with Delta being the most likely option of the two.

Also curious to see who takes a stab at LHR first, has to be either BA or Delta and friends (VS).

Would like to hear of an Asia announcement, I dont guarantee well get it before MIA though. Itll be tough to reach Africa and East Asia from MCO.

Happy New Year

My 2019 predictions:
*F9 will continue to add and drop destinations
*NK will add CRW/IAG/PBG and some more cities with no current NK service (I would like to see Key West added)
*DL add CDG
*No crazy adds or big expansions due to space constraints
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Do you think Moxy is going to use SFB, DAB, MCO, MLB....?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

dabpit

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:19 am

flymco753 wrote:

My pick is SFB. DAB and MLB are an hour plus away from Orlando so doubt those two would be used. MCO is out of the question.
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:09 pm

dabpit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

My pick is SFB. DAB and MLB are an hour plus away from Orlando so doubt those two would be used. MCO is out of the question.
Figured it would be. They'd probably use PIE instead of TPA too.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

musman9853

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

As an Orlando resident, the only flight I really want is to lhr
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

william

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Whats the latest on the SFB remodel?

jonnyclam123

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Today is the last day of B6 flights to DAB.

flymco753

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm

musman9853 wrote:
Still wonder who is going to take the first stab. DL should do CDG, VS should do LHR. Although, most would probably disagree and say that BA should do LHR. Is the 777 too much plane? VS could do the A332 but wouldn't that have to rotate through MAN?

musman9853

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 pm

flymco753 wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
Still wonder who is going to take the first stab. DL should do CDG, VS should do LHR. Although, most would probably disagree and say that BA should do LHR. Is the 777 too much plane? VS could do the A332 but wouldn't that have to rotate through MAN?

they could probably get a 787 full 4x a week

mcogator

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:18 pm

What a huge spike in international traffic!

https://orlandoairports.net/press/2019/ ... -november/

November 2018 Statistical Data:

International passenger traffic spiked 23.98 percent to 563,110 travelers in November
Domestic traffic also climbed 8.12 percent with a total of 3,486,779 passengers for the month
Combined, overall traffic increased by 10.08 percent with 4,049,889 travelers at MCO
On a rolling 12-month period, Orlando International recorded 47,362,900 total passengers, an all-time high for MCO
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

flymco753

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Nice!

Internationally I think someone needs to add PUJ for the Caribbean, it seems like a decent void that could be filled.

In Europe we could probably get DUS back, Spain service with Norwegian doesnt seem far fetched at all.

I dont think we can support anything to Africa, not a lot of African people in the Orlando area, or not enough to support a flight.

I obviously think Asia isnt far fetched either. Theres still a few places we can go internationally.

evank516

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm

dabpit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I'd say SFB too, but then again Neeleman took a liking to DAB for some reason and mentioned it periodically during his time with jetBlue despite the fact that it was announced on Barger's last day. I wouldn't rule out DAB with them.

master14225

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 pm

I think a NH or OZ can do a MCO route from either NRT or ICN, after all they got partnership with B6.

mcogator

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 am

How is CLT doing this year in terms of growth? With the growth at MCO, this should move them past CLT into the top 10 busiest airports in the US.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:30 am

evank516 wrote:
dabpit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I'd say SFB too, but then again Neeleman took a liking to DAB for some reason and mentioned it periodically during his time with jetBlue despite the fact that it was announced on Barger's last day. I wouldn't rule out DAB with them.

B6 just dropped DAB today.

sonicruiser

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:33 am

musman9853 wrote:

At this point, it's getting pretty ridiculous. Not gonna lie, GOAA is doing a pitiful job if they can't even secure a less than daily flight to LHR on a 787 while flying bucket loads of 747's, 777's and A330's to every other city in the UK.

Amchi757300

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:52 am

I am an Oakland, California dweller originally hailing from Orlando, and i'm really enjoying the daily bi-directional non-stop service between OAK/MCO that went daily in Q3 2018. It makes visiting family that much easier, and allows me to cash in all my WN A-list points earned from flying up/down the west coast.

Anecdotally, having taken the direct flight 4x roundtrip since it was introduced, each flight was a mixed bag of completely full to getting my own row for poor man's business class. It is usually a 738 heading east and usually a 73G heading west, but there are exceptions. Usually lots of Disney kids on each flight too. Here's to hoping it sticks around for the long run.

Anyone know how it is performing? Is Southwest going to cut this type of route once they start Hawaii flights?

musman9853

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

At this point, it's getting pretty ridiculous. Not gonna lie, GOAA is doing a pitiful job if they can't even secure a less than daily flight to LHR on a 787 while flying bucket loads of 747's, 777's and A330's to every other city in the UK.

Right? If virgin can send like 3 747s daily from like Manchester, surely they can get one medium widebody.

evank516

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
evank516 wrote:
dabpit wrote:

B6 just dropped DAB today.

Yup, very sad.

jomur

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

It will only happen if the airlines can make more money using the scarce LHR slots flying to MCO than they could flying elsewhere... Maybe when the 3rd runway gets built...

flymco753

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:28 pm

I was flipping through the March schedule for DL here at MCO and saw BDL will get the 717 on the Saturday flight, so that was neat. I think they did it to MCI a few years back too. I assume with the 717's leaving the west coast, we can see some natural capacity increases by DL. I also see the E7W scheduled in there to MKE and BNA so it's not something we normally see.

UA also has 757's going to every hub except IAD. I'm ready for my 757 fix between DL and UA. Unfortunately, the 757 era seems over for AA here at MCO.

flymco753

Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Also, F9 took the first stab at MCO-PUJ. I really hope this service works. We want to go to beaches that aren't our own. I get tired of Cocoa Beach and Anna Maria Island.

flymco753

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:09 pm

I don't know how I stumbled across this video, but this one strikes a chord. It's the old terminal announcements someone recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSXJnlzthLI

jplatts

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 am

dabpit wrote:
My 2019 predictions:

flymco753 wrote:
Internationally I think someone needs to add PUJ for the Caribbean, it seems like a decent void that could be filled.

WN only currently does 119 daily departures out of MCO on weekdays, and WN has enough room to operate at least 170 daily departures out of MCO since WN currently uses 17 gates at MCO. There is also plenty of room to add extra gates in Airside 2 at MCO if needed for further WN expansion.

There are still some a few more nonstop routes that could still be added by WN at MCO such as MCO-CUN, MCO-LAX, MCO-PUJ, and MCO-SEA. WN could also extend MCO-CVG, MCO-CLE, and MCO-MSP nonstop service to daily nonstop service from Saturday-only nonstop service.

sonicruiser

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:08 am

musman9853 wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

Right? If virgin can send like 3 747s daily from like Manchester, surely they can get one medium widebody.

Tell me about it! And forget MAN, they have seasonals to Belfast, a city I had never heard of and actually had to look up because I had never heard of it before this flight. I'm not doubting Belfast's ability to have an MCO flight, but what I am doubting is the claims that Orlando business can't support one LHR flight. Honestly, that's utter horseshit, there's a pretty respectable sized list of companies in the CFL area that have nothing to do with the tourism industry that could easily support MCO-LHR. The only reason I can think for this not having happened already is that GOAA has just straight up made no effort whatsoever to start such a flight. When CHS-LHR exists, an argument about slots at LHR holds no water because its pretty obvious when BA needs a slot, they can magically find one. I'm sure if someone bothered to do the research, there is no other city in the US with BA, LH, and EK that doesn't have service to LHR. At the rate BA is starting dartboard routes, TPA may actually beat MCO to the punch for LHR (But I'd still be just as happy).

TTailedTiger

Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:43 am

sonicruiser wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

Some of you sound really ungrateful. Lots of cities would love service to London no matter the airport. Why is LGW so awful for you? If BA and VS could make good money flying to LHR from MCO then they would do it.

flymco753

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:
musman9853 wrote:

Some of you sound really ungrateful. Lots of cities would love service to London no matter the airport. Why is LGW so awful for you? If BA and VS could make good money flying to LHR from MCO then they would do it.
It's more of a need in terms of business and higher end leisure pax that the flight is needed for. We have too many flights to LGW, someone can suffice one to swap with LHR. YYZ and LAS does it with BA, and I think with DL's footprint here and VS's footprint in England, this would be a great route for that JV.

jonnyclam123

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:18 pm

What is the status of Surinam Airways seasonal service to SFB?

dabpit

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm

jplatts wrote:
dabpit wrote:
My 2019 predictions:

flymco753 wrote:

WN only currently does 119 daily departures out of MCO on weekdays, and WN has enough room to operate at least 170 daily departures out of MCO since WN currently uses 17 gates at MCO. There is also plenty of room to add extra gates in Airside 2 at MCO if needed for further WN expansion.

There are still some a few more nonstop routes that could still be added by WN at MCO such as MCO-CUN, MCO-LAX, MCO-PUJ, and MCO-SEA. WN could also extend MCO-CVG, MCO-CLE, and MCO-MSP nonstop service to daily nonstop service from Saturday-only nonstop service.

WN's lack of full utilization is what led GOAA to move AS over to AS2. GOAA should also move SY and 3M to AS2. WN hasn't added a number of destinations from MCO in a while and just because they have the capacity don't look for them to start adding stuff. There may be room at AS2 but not enough to move one of the bigger airlines over (NK or F9). The space constraint issue is a self-inflicted issue GOAA brought upon themselves by not properly managing their assets.

flymco753 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
sonicruiser wrote:

It's more of a need in terms of business and higher end leisure pax that the flight is needed for. We have too many flights to LGW, someone can suffice one to swap with LHR. YYZ and LAS does it with BA, and I think with DL's footprint here and VS's footprint in England, this would be a great route for that JV.

There is way more leisure traffic coming in and out of MCO than business traffic. Yes it would be nice to see a LHR flight but it isn't going to happen unless the business demand can justify a LHR slot and right now it can't.
Carpe Diem

musman9853

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm

dabpit wrote:
jplatts wrote:
dabpit wrote:
My 2019 predictions:

flymco753 wrote:

WN's lack of full utilization is what led GOAA to move AS over to AS2. GOAA should also move SY and 3M to AS2. WN hasn't added a number of destinations from MCO in a while and just because they have the capacity don't look for them to start adding stuff. There may be room at AS2 but not enough to move one of the bigger airlines over (NK or F9). The space constraint issue is a self-inflicted issue GOAA brought upon themselves by not properly managing their assets.

flymco753 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

There is way more leisure traffic coming in and out of MCO than business traffic. Yes it would be nice to see a LHR flight but it isn't going to happen unless the business demand can justify a LHR slot and right now it can't.

I mean compaines like Lockheed Martin are investing hundreds of millions into orlando. We're where basically all simulator work happens. We're where lockheed is building thier exoskeletons. We have a ton of engineering jobs here, between lockheed, siemens, harris, etc

flymco753

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Spirit has been coming in and leaving out of Airside 1 &4 lately on top of their regular Airside 3. DL is using basically all of 4 especially for RON's. B6 sometimes uses the 80 gates for international arrivals. What a mess this whole gate situation is. C can't come any quicker.

musman9853

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:11 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Spirit has been coming in and leaving out of Airside 1 &4 lately on top of their regular Airside 3. DL is using basically all of 4 especially for RON's. B6 sometimes uses the 80 gates for international arrivals. What a mess this whole gate situation is. C can't come any quicker.

what's the current opening date for c?

Clipper136

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Q1 2021
You can't beat the Experience.

FA9295

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:04 am

sonicruiser

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 am

Adding LAS and then MCO before ORD is completely illogical. Not that this would prevent them from starting it or anything because if they had logic, ORD would have been added a long time ago and LY is definitely pursuing some form of a dartboard strategy these days.

dabpit

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 pm

FA9295 wrote:
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-el-al-mulls-tel-aviv-florida-flights-1001269974
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413723

El Al is considering direct/nonstop TLV-MCO flights.

Not a route I would have guess gets added before some other cities. But it would be nice to see LY in MCO.
Carpe Diem

Clipper136

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 pm

LY served MCO once before. I can't remember the actual dates. It was seasonal.

windycity613

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:12 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Adding LAS and then MCO before ORD is completely illogical. Not that this would prevent them from starting it or anything because if they had logic, ORD would have been added a long time ago and LY is definitely pursuing some form of a dartboard strategy these days.

LY must be scared of UA United opening a ORD non stop TLV flight

Midwestindy

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm

DL is upguaging IND-MCO to the A320
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

Clipper136

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm

MCO's published passenger numbers for 2018

Domestic 41,095,987 +6.2%
International 6,600,640 +11.6%
Totals 47,696,627 +6.9%

Not too shabby! Congrats!

dabpit

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Clipper136 wrote:

Totals 47,696,627 +6.9%

Still beats MIA's 45 million :)
Carpe Diem

mcogator

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 pm

dabpit wrote:
Clipper136 wrote:

Totals 47,696,627 +6.9%

And as long as CLT didn't grow by more than 3.9%, this would make MCO the 10th busiest airport in the US. Based on CLT's pax numbers from January to November, it would be a safe bet that MCO will pass them. The majority of their months saw only a single percentage point increase in traffic, two months had a contraction, with only two months above 4% growth in passenger traffic.

727LOVER

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:27 am

dabpit wrote:
Clipper136 wrote:

Totals 47,696,627 +6.9%

2nd year ?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

flymco753

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 am

Nice! Not a total zoo yet if it's not storming.

flymco753

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 am

NK added a 5th DTW, F9 added a 2nd. On Saturdays DL will run 8, NK will run 5, F9 will run 2 and and will run 1. The MCO-DTW market is strong in March and April.

The breakdown is:
DL- 6x 757, 1x 753, 1x 321
NK- 4x A320, 1x A321
F9- 1x A321, 1x A320
WN- 1x 738

This is such a fun route to watch in the winter because airlines always underestimate it. There was only supposed to be 7 DL flights, 4 NK, no F9 flights on Saturdays, and a WN 737. All of these changes were made within the last month.

flymco753

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 pm

Daily dose of Florida Man, but this time, Florida Woman https://www.wftv.com/news/local/-i-know ... /916872152

dabpit

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Daily dose of Florida Man, but this time, Florida Woman https://www.wftv.com/news/local/-i-know ... /916872152

Man, that definitely was a crazy one.
Carpe Diem

flymco753

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

dabpit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I guess it's a fact, people love getting arrested at our airport! Lol. Can't be as bad as the nude guy who was running around DAB's baggage claim. :lol:

KMCOFlyer

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:31 am

flymco753 wrote:
dabpit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I guess it's a fact, people love getting arrested at our airport! Lol. Can't be as bad as the nude guy who was running around DAB's baggage claim. :lol:

Or the guy who tried to steal an AA plane at MLB. Florida airports man. :roll:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos