• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 15
 
FGITD
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:18 pm

May have been posted but I never saw

This spring Emirates will drop 1 flight per week due to the runway work. Not sure for how long.

Also RAM might not meet their planned start date
 
johhn14
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:00 am

Bit of old news there. It was announced last July with their overall reduced capacity plan

16APR19 to 30MAY19
Dubai – Boston Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly, Day 6 closed for booking

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-project/

Shortly after this ends, they'll start sending a daily A380 on June 1st.
 
arfbool
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:42 am

Was thinking ahead about some travel and noticed the Jetblue Burbank flight (B6 2339) switches from 3pm to 6:30pm on Wednesday May 1st. As such there will be no return flight from Burbank that day. The next Boston-Burbank flight (B6 2338) leaves at 7am on Thursday. Does anyone know if that change is permanent? Should be a win for passengers with a 7am Burbank departure preferable to a 4am Boston arrival on 2338.
 
hinckley
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Don't know if anyone here saw this thread or thought it was as amusing as I did . . .

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1414257&p=21049753#p21049753

The "AirKraft" charter flights for the Pats have been using the call-sign UDG all year. UDG = Underdog! Sunday's flight from PVD to ATL was UDG344.
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3234
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:02 pm

arfbool wrote:
Was thinking ahead about some travel and noticed the Jetblue Burbank flight (B6 2339) switches from 3pm to 6:30pm on Wednesday May 1st. As such there will be no return flight from Burbank that day. The next Boston-Burbank flight (B6 2338) leaves at 7am on Thursday. Does anyone know if that change is permanent? Should be a win for passengers with a 7am Burbank departure preferable to a 4am Boston arrival on 2338.


This looks like a permanent change. From what I understand, this has been totally miserable for B6 since it launched (presumably because of the 4am arrival back in BOS), so hopefully the new schedules will help firm up demand/yields for this market.
 
arfbool
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:01 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
arfbool wrote:
Was thinking ahead about some travel and noticed the Jetblue Burbank flight (B6 2339) switches from 3pm to 6:30pm on Wednesday May 1st. As such there will be no return flight from Burbank that day. The next Boston-Burbank flight (B6 2338) leaves at 7am on Thursday. Does anyone know if that change is permanent? Should be a win for passengers with a 7am Burbank departure preferable to a 4am Boston arrival on 2338.


This looks like a permanent change. From what I understand, this has been totally miserable for B6 since it launched (presumably because of the 4am arrival back in BOS), so hopefully the new schedules will help firm up demand/yields for this market.


That's encouraging, though I am surprised at the struggle when JFK seems insatiable, even with the poor timing. I have a keen interest in this flight but would be in trouble if I arrived at 4am with nowhere to go. It might work for locals returning home (and are not relying on the T) but not for anyone who's just hit the road it's not so good.
 
ramzi
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Not sure if this has come up before, but I noticed today that aside from the daily A380 in the summer, BA will be using the 788 on the 215 for some days of the week. That really skews the proportion of premium seats compared to the winter and last summer, so Y must be doing pretty well for them in the nice weather. The 77W is also nowhere to be seen. Last year there was often a combination of 86J 744 and A380 or 77W, much more J and F seats than two 77Es, an A380, and a 788.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.
 
jworks158
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 pm

ramzi wrote:
Not sure if this has come up before, but I noticed today that aside from the daily A380 in the summer, BA will be using the 788 on the 215 for some days of the week. That really skews the proportion of premium seats compared to the winter and last summer, so Y must be doing pretty well for them in the nice weather. The 77W is also nowhere to be seen. Last year there was often a combination of 86J 744 and A380 or 77W, much more J and F seats than two 77Es, an A380, and a 788.


In my opinion this is good! I went on G-ZBJJ just over a month ago on the LHR-TLV route, after flying a 772 from BOS-LHR. I found the 788 leaps and bounds more comfortable than the 772. Keep in mind this was my first experience on both the 787, and 777.

On another note, I was disappointed by the IFE screen especially since G-ZBJJ is under a year old. They are still installing the old Thales IFE screens on new aircraft. However they are putting the new Panasonic screens on the refurbished 744s which we do get daily in the winter.
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
ramzi
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 pm

jworks158 wrote:
ramzi wrote:
Not sure if this has come up before, but I noticed today that aside from the daily A380 in the summer, BA will be using the 788 on the 215 for some days of the week. That really skews the proportion of premium seats compared to the winter and last summer, so Y must be doing pretty well for them in the nice weather. The 77W is also nowhere to be seen. Last year there was often a combination of 86J 744 and A380 or 77W, much more J and F seats than two 77Es, an A380, and a 788.


In my opinion this is good! I went on G-ZBJJ just over a month ago on the LHR-TLV route, after flying a 772 from BOS-LHR. I found the 788 leaps and bounds more comfortable than the 772. Keep in mind this was my first experience on both the 787, and 777.

On another note, I was disappointed by the IFE screen especially since G-ZBJJ is under a year old. They are still installing the old Thales IFE screens on new aircraft. However they are putting the new Panasonic screens on the refurbished 744s which we do get daily in the winter.


I couldn't agree more, I've gotten really sick of those 777s and have only been able to get a 789 once last spring, WT+ on that bird is significantly more comfortable than on the 777 IMO, especially the ones with the older hard product. Things will start to get interesting when 777 10-abreast modifications begin for the Heathrow fleet. I may be wrong, but I suspect they will have the new CW and WT+, maybe even the refreshed First?
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Although BA sent the 77W to Boston many times, I don't think the official timetables reflected that. The planes just seemed to show up ad-hoc, without the schedules indicating so,
 
ramzi
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:31 am

chrisnh wrote:
Although BA sent the 77W to Boston many times, I don't think the official timetables reflected that. The planes just seemed to show up ad-hoc, without the schedules indicating so,


It was easy to know when to expect it through Expert Flyer. IIRC it was routinely on 215 for a while last spring. Pretty annoying though that it is marked by BA as just 777, same issue with the 787 now, you need to go to check the seat map to figure out which specific type it is.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:34 pm

BTS released the July numbers yesterday. I took a quick look at BOS-GRU was off to a great start load wise 85%.

CM, AV, EK, QR and of course CX had great months too. If correct reporting was done QR had their highest BOS load factor since starting.

MT had 85% too shame they gave up on BOS-MAN.

I'll defer to vs4ever for everything else.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:39 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
BTS released the July numbers yesterday. I took a quick look at BOS-GRU was off to a great start load wise 85%.

CM, AV, EK, QR and of course CX had great months too. If correct reporting was done QR had their highest BOS load factor since starting.

MT had 85% too shame they gave up on BOS-MAN.

I'll defer to vs4ever for everything else.


As usual, the one day I don’t look, they release them, I will put together my analysis today, thanks for the heads up, nice to see GRU off to a decent start though
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
B752OS
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:22 pm

https://www.massport.com/capitalprogram ... 4-2019.pdf

Some good information about the projects Massport has planned for Logan over the next few years.

Terminal B to C connector
Terminal C canopy
Terminal B and C roadways
Terminal E parking garage
Terminal E expansion
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:41 pm

B752OS wrote:
https://www.massport.com/capitalprogramsattachments/A406/A406%20Strategic%20Projects%20P%20Management%20Briefing%201-24-2019.pdf

Some good information about the projects Massport has planned for Logan over the next few years.

Terminal B to C connector
Terminal C canopy
Terminal B and C roadways
Terminal E parking garage
Terminal E expansion

Interesting read.
We are 2 months away from the Terminal E expansion project breaking ground. Is there any information where the planes that are usually parked at North Cargo will be parked after construction starts?
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:01 am

adamh8297 wrote:
BTS released the July numbers yesterday. I took a quick look at BOS-GRU was off to a great start load wise 85%.

CM, AV, EK, QR and of course CX had great months too. If correct reporting was done QR had their highest BOS load factor since starting.

MT had 85% too shame they gave up on BOS-MAN.

I'll defer to vs4ever for everything else.


Ok, I've updated my report, you have 2 pieces, Boston only, then International airlines that fly into BOS and their comparative routes.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
I'll add my color commentary:

Caribbean - fairly quiet as it's out of season, but PAP was a little low at less than 80% loads and BDA was in the low 80's too.

Canada - pretty much everyone over 80%YYZ hit 90% on Jazz and AC pulled in 88% on their seasonal YVR. BOS ranked #2 on PD's routes to YTZ (just under 81%) and lowest on WS's YHZ and YYZ routes with 78% and 83% respectfully.

Europe - all routes managed over 80% with the exception of BOS-MAN where VS got 75%, against MT's 87%, FI barely scraped over the 80% barrier. SK were next at just under 82%, but I wonder for the future of this one long term.. we know what's happening with MAN of course. PF actually scored a creditable 83%, given the competition on CDG.
Load factor winner was Level with 96%, but they only run 8 flights in the month...2nd surprisingly was S4 with 92.25%, 3rd was AF 91.46%

In terms of comparatives, BOS ranked the following: numbers in ( ) are how many in each listing
AF - 3rd (13) - 91.46%
AZ - 2nd (6) - 91.3% behind LAX
BA - 10th (22) - 86.32%, but everyone above had less flights per day to contend with. JFK (obviously bigger) finished 12th
DL - AMS - 2nd (10) behind ATL, beat out SEA, 10 less pax, but smaller aircraft causing the win for BOS
DL - CDG - 8th (13) - EWR in 2nd, had less pax but used smaller aircraft to run that high.
DL - LHR - 6th (7) - 3rd place SLC had 385 more pax than BOS :(
DL - DUB - 3rd (3) - 87% not to be sniffed at, but better results from both ATL and JFK.
DY - LGW - 4th (10) - 89.41%, 2nd only to JFK on the daily plus routes.
DY - CDG - 4th (8) - considering the competition on this route, they have carved a niche at nearly 90% loads.
EI - DUB & SNN - 3rd and 2nd (13) - 90.66% and 91.22%, only beaten by IAD and BOS-DUB was the best of the multi frequency destinations.
FI - 9th (16) .2nd worst to ORD in the multi-frequency destinations at 80.52%
IB - MAD - 3rd (7) - 89.91%, but only 0.5% off from #1
IB (Level) - BCN - 1st (3) almost 96%
LH - FRA - 3rd (19) behind only SEA and LAX at 89.28%, just a hair ahead of SFO
LH - MUC -2nd (10) with 89.86% behind only EWR
LX - 6th (8) - 89.34%, leader LAX was pretty much sold out with almost 96%
MT - 7th (7) - 86.98%, but 0.01% behind Seattle in 6th and 2.5% behind SFO in 5th
SK - 6th (6) -81.76%, over 6% behind EWR and IAD in 5th and 4th
TP - 4th (5) - 86.08%, but very close to JFK in 4th
VS - 4th (9) - 86.43%, 1.8% behind IAD in 3rd
WW - 4th (13) - 84.17%, 1.8% behind LAX in 3rd

Middle East- three of the four routes managed over 93%, which is essentially sold out for the month, with the exception of TLV, which managed 77%, TLV did well on the inbound with 89.44%, however outbound dragged the number down with just 65%...
Load factor winner was EK with 94.39% (almost 21k pax) QR 2nd with 93.96% and TK just behind with 93.43%,

In terms of comparatives, BOS ranked the following: numbers in ( ) are how many in each listing
EK - 6th (13) - 400 pax behind ORD in 2nd
LY - 5th (5) -1.9% behind LAX in 4th
QR - 1st (10) - winner by over 1%, MIA came in last over 10% lower than us
TK - 3rd (9) - 1.9% behind the leader IAD.

Asia- three of the four routes managed over 80%, with the exception of PVG, which managed 79%, PVG did well on the inbound with 84.38%, however outbound dragged the number down with just 73.86%...
Load factor winner was CX with 91.26%, JL 2nd with 89.33% and HU with PEK at 85,45% and PVG at 79.12%

In terms of comparatives, BOS ranked the following: numbers in ( ) are how many in each listing
CX - 4th (6) - best out of single daily flight destinations
JL - 3rd (9) - 0.1% behind DFW is 2nd.
HU - PEK - 2nd (4) - 1.1% behind SEA, suggesting the lower loads are not confined to BOS
HU - PVG only 1 comparative, which is SEA and a whopping 12% behind..of all the newer routes outside of CPH, this one feels most at risk.

The Americas
Central America -
MEX - AM managed 83.82% 11 out of 12, hence at least a data point of why this flight was eventually pulled
PTY - CM managed 92.82% 4 out of 14, 3.7% behind leader JFK, but clearly shows even the increase above daily appears to be working well. amazing really.

South America -
BOG - AV managed 88.19% for 6th out of 8, definitely one of the tougher routes, especially at less than daily to BOG, 88% is not to be sniffed at, but at risk compared to the other destinations that are daily plus, IAD and MCO were not as good, but both are daily.
GRU - JJ managed 87.13% best out of 5, ahead of MCO.

More details in the file.. enjoy..
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:19 pm

I guess we now know why EK switched to a A380 for the summer months. Thanks, VS4ever.
 
jworks158
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:52 pm

The switch that doesn't make any sense is the El Al switch from 767 - 777
(A359,A343/A346,A332,A319/320/321,A220-100)(B788,B772,B762,B752,B744/B748,B732/B737/B738,B717)(E190,E145)(CRJ100/200, Dash 8-200)(MD-83)
JB,UA(C5,EV,CHQ,AX),AA(EGF,ZW,AX,PT),DL(OH,YX),FL,WN,LH,BA,AF,AZ,IB,VX,CO
https://my.flightradar24.com/theorangetechie
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:04 pm

jworks158 wrote:
The switch that doesn't make any sense is the El Al switch from 767 - 777


They retired their 767s. The new 787s that have come into their fleet are flying former 777 routes. I think in the future we might see a 787 at BOS once they have enough to go around.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:45 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
The switch that doesn't make any sense is the El Al switch from 767 - 777


They retired their 767s. The new 787s that have come into their fleet are flying former 777 routes. I think in the future we might see a 787 at BOS once they have enough to go around.

I think the 788s on order will be perfect for the route.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson
 
iyerhari
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Logan Dec-2018 numbers are OUT and a great way to end the 2018 calendar year!

Dec-2018 pax: 3,093,944; international pax: 577,998
Dec-2017 pax: 2,930,898; international pax: 519,929

Total pax for the calendar year 2018: 40,941,925
Total pax for the calendar year 2017: 38,412,419
AAGR total pax: 6.6%

International pax for the calendar year 2018: 7,583,887
International pax for the calendar year 2017: 7,199,595
AAGR international pax: 5.3%

Logan has exceeded 40M pax officially!

Dec-18 Dec-17 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 1133 2154 -47.40%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 179,466 143,268 25.27%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,328,823 2,258,387 3.12%
Total Domestic Passengers 2,509,422 2,403,809 4.39%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 106,792 92,045 16.02%
Canada 71,690 72,936 -1.71%
Central America 41,871 21,215 97.37%
Europe 254,840 234,809 8.53%
Middle East 50,393 48,531 3.84%
South America 11,871 8,991 32.03%
Trans-Pacific 40,541 41,402 -2.08%
Total International passengers 577,998 519,929 11.17%

General Aviation 6,524 7,160 -8.88%
Total Airport pax 3,093,944 2,930,898 5.56%

Enjoy!
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:00 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Logan Dec-2018 numbers are OUT and a great way to end the 2018 calendar year!

Dec-2018 pax: 3,093,944; international pax: 577,998
Dec-2017 pax: 2,930,898; international pax: 519,929

Total pax for the calendar year 2018: 40,941,925
Total pax for the calendar year 2017: 38,412,419
AAGR total pax: 6.6%

International pax for the calendar year 2018: 7,583,887
International pax for the calendar year 2017: 7,199,595
AAGR international pax: 5.3%

Logan has exceeded 40M pax officially!

Dec-18 Dec-17 Difference
Domestic Charter Passenger 1133 2154 -47.40%
Domestic Commuter Passenger 179,466 143,268 25.27%
Domestic Jet Passenger 2,328,823 2,258,387 3.12%
Total Domestic Passengers 2,509,422 2,403,809 4.39%

International
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 106,792 92,045 16.02%
Canada 71,690 72,936 -1.71%
Central America 41,871 21,215 97.37%
Europe 254,840 234,809 8.53%
Middle East 50,393 48,531 3.84%
South America 11,871 8,991 32.03%
Trans-Pacific 40,541 41,402 -2.08%
Total International passengers 577,998 519,929 11.17%

General Aviation 6,524 7,160 -8.88%
Total Airport pax 3,093,944 2,930,898 5.56%

Enjoy!


Awesome news, although i am disappointed they didn't do anything (that I could see) for the 40m th pax in December, it's going to be a while before they get to 50... Not only did they break 40m for the year, I also believe this is the first time they broke 3m for a December. Sad to see Canada and Asia take a 2% back step a piece, but a nice rebound from the Caribbean, and 8.5% for Europe, somebody is doing something right there.

With the weather at the end of Jan, I have a feeling that might sink the number a bit, but hey, let's not think negative..

Iyerhari, can you send me the file when you get a chance.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
hinckley
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:53 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks iyerhari. Is the December TPAC number an anomaly, or was it down throughout 2018?
 
iyerhari
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:09 pm

TPAC was down 0.3% in Nov 2018 and I see them down in Dec 2018 too. I will send the comparative in the evening for the year. This does look to be an anomaly.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 pm

something wierd with that Central America number, I am trying to figure out what could have driven such a huge increase. I can't remember a new route starting in December, especially one that would drive 3x daily difference in flights.. any reminders.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 pm

iyerhari wrote:
TPAC was down 0.3% in Nov 2018 and I see them down in Dec 2018 too. I will send the comparative in the evening for the year. This does look to be an anomaly.


The issue with TPAC is actually a lower number of flights in 2018 vs 2017, Nov 17 was 200, Dec 17 was 209, compared to 194 and 202 respectively, that brought the capacity down and thus the number of pax down as well, however in both cases average pass counts were higher, 199 vs 194 in Nov 18 to 17 and 201 vs 198 in Dec 18 to 17..

So while the numbers are down in absolute terms in both months, loads will have increased by roughly 3% and 1% respectively.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:47 am

VS4ever wrote:
something wierd with that Central America number, I am trying to figure out what could have driven such a huge increase. I can't remember a new route starting in December, especially one that would drive 3x daily difference in flights.. any reminders.


2018 vs 2017

B6 BOS-MEX daily
AV BOS-SAL 4 weekly
CM BOS-PTY increase to 11 weekly
DL BOS-CUN additional service YOY (if they report BOS-CUN as Central America)

Some airlines have historically reported CUN as Caribbean and I believe B6 reports BOS-LIR as Caribbean even though it serves the Pacific Ocean Resorts of Guanacaste.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 am

MASSPORT DECEMBER ANALYSIS

Thank you to iyerhari for getting the initial numbers from Massport and posting them :), BOS continues to impress with it's ever increasing numbers.

Usual formats for reporting (Month, YTD, Year and Rolling), I have run 2 sets of analysis, every year for the last 5 years and then every 5 years since 1998 so that you can compare the growth rates accordingly. In addition, I have a min/max/average grid to show you the highest and lowest for each element.

On top of this, I have created charts for each option (month, ytd and year) to show some simple trends over time, so for Month, the charts show the total for each month over the time and you can see the trend from those, YTD shows full year now, and i've updated the Year Tabs to 2018, although for this month YTD, Year and Rolling pretty much say the same information
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MCjF8 ... Gyp3ZDShlK

Here's my take on life:

Month:
Pax numbers:

For December 18, once again we got a bit of a mixture, the vast majority were up over year over year, but again 4 were down, charter and general are just so volatile they can go either way every single month, again it was Asia and Canada with the drops of 1.7% (1,246) and 2.1% (861) respectively on 5.8% (89) and 3.3% (7) fewer flights respectively

HEADLINE: First time over 3m and has increased 50% since 2010 when it crept over the 2m mark and Domestic hit over 2.5m of that for the first time ever.

Some significant increases for this month too however,
led by:
Domestic Jet (70,436 increase) - 3.1% increase on the same increase in flights
Domestic Commuter (9K etc.) (36,198 increase) for 25.3% increase on 16.4% increase in flights
Central America (20,656 increase) for 97.4% increase in pax on 112.3% increase in flights (I am confused by these numbers, because they just seem so big. I wonder if something has been reclassed) (B6 for example)
Europe (20,031increase) for an 8.5% uplift in pax on 6.5% increase in flights
Caribbean (14,747 increase) for a 16% uplift in pax on 12. 8% increase in flights , flights back to above pre-hurricane levels.

Back Story's
Domestic # of flights highest since 2000 with 26,713, 2000 was 29,998 in comparison (ranked 4th since 1998), it has grown 22.6% since 2014, led by a 21.5% increase in large jet (increase in flights, but bigger increase in pax, possibly due to larger jets plying domestic rules to BOS), and a 40% increase in commuter flight pax too.
As shown above International continues to power ahead, 56.8% increase (209,312) since 2014 in pax and 11.2% over last year, it's just mind boggling to see all these numbers, even with all the seasonality at BOS. but it's also fun looking at the differences going way back, in 2000 the total was 295,723 at an average of 86, now we have 577,998 at an average of 131, let's think about that, 45 more pax per flight per day.

Cargo numbers:
Mail dropped 11.8% YOY, but is still up 32.5% over 2014, I think we've hit bottom overall, but mail just doesn't feed through BOS anywhere near as much anymore.
Express/Freight increased around 2% YOY and is up 16% over 2014, scored it's best total since 2004. Express seems to be dropping still 1.5m lbs this year alone, but Freight outpaced with 2.5m lbs increased. Actually freight had it's best year since 2001, which was actually their record, they would need a 2m lbs increase over 2018 to hit the record next year.

Year

HEADLINES: Total pax count over 40m for the first time and almost made 41m. Cargo back over 700m for the first time since 2005. International hits 7.5m for the first time and domestic powers past the 33m mark.

Pax numbers:
Domestic 33.2m- despite capacity controls across their networks, Domestic in BOS seems to keep on growing, 6.9% this year with a nearly 2m increase in Jet traffic and 200k increase in commuter (nearly 11%), flights increased by 6.1% and 8.7% respectively suggesting that both bigger aircraft and load factors increased, although can't be proven from Massport numbers.

International
The pace of international growth has obviously slowed a bit, given the E constraints, but 5.3% is not bad and an additional 384k pax came through the doors

Caribbean is setting up for a banner year in 2019, despite all the troubles in the early part of 18, following the hurricanes, 18 actually beat 17 with some powerful numbers towards the end of the year for the 18-19 season 0.2% is not a lot, but considering, quite the comeback. 1,103,394 pax total, which is a record.

Canada 2nd year over 1m and another new record at 1,054,008, however the 2 months of reversals might be seeing the peak right now, we shall see if the next few months follow the trend. 5.3% increase on pax on 3.2% increase in flights

Central America - powerhouse year with nearly 300,000 traveling to the region, although the December number is still confusing to me. one to watch in 19 especially as B6 takes over MEX daily and could we see CM go double daily on PTY right now it's 10 weekly, but in the summer, it could be quite possible.

Europe given all the trials, tribulations of this market, another great year with 3.9m flying to the region a 4.1% increase (151K), the demise of PF will make a small blip in these numbers, but I suspect KL's entry to AMS along with DY's entry to MAD and DL's LIS seasonal will be a trade off to that.

Middle East The only market down in 2018, due a rough start to the year with Jan to May all being below 2017 levels and June-December unable to quite catch up, still made over 600K pax in 2018, however moves by EK could be interesting, seasonal use of the 380 is coming, but daily, however due to works at DXB, there's going to be 6 weekly for a while rather than daily. LY due to fleet issues is moving to the 777 for a while, which brings more seats, but will it bring more Pax? QR is beginning to find it's groove too thankfully, I hope that one survives.

South America has been growing nicely with GRU, SAL and BOG coming on line, 89K for 2018 and currently averaging 11k in the last few months, i can see 130-140k in 2019 outside of any additional service that may appear. I wonder if Massport has anything up their sleeves?

Asia has come to a grinding halt in terms of growth, while there was 31k increased primarily caused by CX's push to daily, HU is sliding a bit, particularly on PVG and JL is... well JL. however 2019 sees KE turn up with ICN, a long asked for route, 530K in 2018, could be closer to 600k in 2019, we shall see. We could also see CTU pop it's head up again, but not holding out hope yet.


Cargo numbers:
4% growth in 2017 to 704m best since 2005, mail is rebounding 8% (31,5m total) over 2017 and best since 2008 (33.5m), if the current growth rate continues, it could beat 2008 in 2019, next target is 2006 with 37m, but i doubt that's going to happen.

Estimate for 2019, if we assume the following growth:
Pax - 5% - 43m, up 2.1m, that's some serious additional throughput, but there are new services coming, bigger aircraft.. so who knows.
Cargo - 3% - roughly 725m., not enough to overtake 2005 as the previous highest, but continued on the way.

Enjoy.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:13 am

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
something wierd with that Central America number, I am trying to figure out what could have driven such a huge increase. I can't remember a new route starting in December, especially one that would drive 3x daily difference in flights.. any reminders.


2018 vs 2017

B6 BOS-MEX daily
AV BOS-SAL 4 weekly
CM BOS-PTY increase to 11 weekly
DL BOS-CUN additional service YOY (if they report BOS-CUN as Central America)

Some airlines have historically reported CUN as Caribbean and I believe B6 reports BOS-LIR as Caribbean even though it serves the Pacific Ocean Resorts of Guanacaste.


Good points..I will have to wait and see if i can roughly reconcile the T-100's when the December numbers come out.

also, this just in
https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/446.pdf (DOT on RAM's approval for CMN has gone through), as FGITD alluded to, that might mean a delay in starting given the month difference between submission and starting, but it's done, so it should be coming.

PS, did someone say BOS-CTU got cancelled before it started?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:46 pm

MSP reported their Dec-2018 numbers. BOS has overtaken MSP by a long way now and I believe the lead will continue to grow in light of the next round of DL expansions in 2019. IAH has still not reported their nos. so we will have to wait and see how far BOS is out.

BOS MSP-BOS MSP
Jan 2,576,261 108,549 2,684,810
Feb 2,605,207 105,812 2,711,019
Mar 3,197,326 213,541 3,410,867
Apr 3,508,607 (515,345) 2,993,262
May 3,705,129 (477,639) 3,227,490
Jun 3,843,131 (327,466) 3,515,665
Jul 3,999,933 (334,925) 3,665,008
Aug 4,044,126 (313,725) 3,730,401
Sep 3,393,644 (351,319) 3,042,325
Oct 3,677,923 (452,142) 3,225,781
Nov 3,296,694 (374,773) 2,921,921
Dec 3,093,944 (185,112) 2,908,832

Totals 40,941,925 (2,904,544) 38,037,381

Excellent analysis VS4ever on the stats.
 
airway1
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Just saw Houston 2018 at 41.5 million

https://d14ik00wldmhq.cloudfront.net/me ... _final.pdf
 
airbazar
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm

VS4ever wrote:
2nd surprisingly was S4 with 92.25%

Didn't they replace the ~220 seat A310 with a ~180 seat A321?

VS4ever wrote:
It's going to be a while before they get to 50...

Well at ~2 million growth per year that's only 5 years away ;)
We shall see what DL intends to do with their expansion and if B6 really does go TATL. Plus KE is coming in, RAM might be coming, and EK seems to be ready to expand. And then there's the recent additions by Frontier and the relatively new route to GRU that needs to mature. I think 45-46 million in the next 5 years should be in the cards. And we still don't have a non-stop to India :)

VS4ever wrote:
HEADLINES: Total pax count over 40m for the first time and almost made 41m. Cargo back over 700m for the first time since 2005.

Can we now put an end to the suggestion to expand terminal A into the cargo area? :)
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 pm

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
2nd surprisingly was S4 with 92.25%

Didn't they replace the ~220 seat A310 with a ~180 seat A321?

Had forgotten about that, I didn't take the analysis down to the aircraft level, which probably would have shown the switch.

VS4ever wrote:
It's going to be a while before they get to 50...

Well at ~2 million growth per year that's only 5 years away ;)
We shall see what DL intends to do with their expansion and if B6 really does go TATL. Plus KE is coming in, RAM might be coming, and EK seems to be ready to expand. And then there's the recent additions by Frontier and the relatively new route to GRU that needs to mature. I think 45-46 million in the next 5 years should be in the cards. And we still don't have a non-stop to India :)

Yeah, my comment was a little tongue in cheek, i think we will see growth slow a little bit, however 2 new gates in C, 2 in B effectively because of WN, and 4-8 in E (WB vs NB) gives quite a bit of growth potential there. With B6 bringing in more 321's and swapping in 220's for 190's starting in 2020, that will uplift their capacity more and that's without DL's version

VS4ever wrote:
HEADLINES: Total pax count over 40m for the first time and almost made 41m. Cargo back over 700m for the first time since 2005.

Can we now put an end to the suggestion to expand terminal A into the cargo area? :)


1. where's the fun in that..lol
2. I still think it's an idea to entertain. Unlikely i grant you... I believe a re-do of that whole area is the last piece that Massport can potentially do to expand on the existing footprint, given the waste of time 14/32 is you could move things significantly over and expand A as a result, maybe knock down the old Eagle terminal, if nobody is going to use it..
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:15 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I was referring to the not-so-full ex-BOS flight and the quietish lounge in BOS.


I can't imagine this being a hugely popular time to travel from BOS on EK. 1st, colleges let out a week ago. Second, EK's main business from BOS is India and judging from all of my Indian co-workers, they don't care much about xmas or about traveling to India for xmas. Their preferred time to travel seems to be during the big festivals in the Fall. Also, you're not going to get much of any business travel happening this week.



Last day of Finals for many schools were Thursday or Friday this week but depending on one's exam schedule people can leave earlier.

I'm a tiny bit surprised about Dieuwer's observations. Historically December has been mixed bag LF wise (70's to low 80's for EK) but typically stronger on the BOS-DXB leg.

2014 - 80.5% single daily and BOS-DXB leg was 97.1%
2015 - 70% double daily and BOS-DXB leg was 89.8%
2016 - 75.4% double daily and BOS-DXB leg was was 91.0% - this is despite QR's entry into BOS.
2017 - 74% single daily and BOS-DXB leg was 77.5% - this was a "recovery period" from travel ban, laptop ban etc

From looking at 2018 performance so far one would think a rebound was on order but let see what the data says in 6 months.

Regardless - Yield wise EK and probably everyone else probably does alright in December regardless of a few points down or up for LF.


Any insights considering the latest release of BOS numbers?
 
airbazar
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:23 pm

VS4ever wrote:
1. where's the fun in that..lol
2. I still think it's an idea to entertain. Unlikely i grant you... I believe a re-do of that whole area is the last piece that Massport can potentially do to expand on the existing footprint, given the waste of time 14/32 is you could move things significantly over and expand A as a result, maybe knock down the old Eagle terminal, if nobody is going to use it..

That I'm onboard with. In fact here's a quick and dirty redraw of that that area could look like :)
Image
http://i68.tinypic.com/33v11mt.jpg
 
User avatar
AviationAddict
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:32 pm

VS4ever wrote:

1. where's the fun in that..lol
2. I still think it's an idea to entertain. Unlikely i grant you... I believe a re-do of that whole area is the last piece that Massport can potentially do to expand on the existing footprint, given the waste of time 14/32 is you could move things significantly over and expand A as a result, maybe knock down the old Eagle terminal, if nobody is going to use it..



It's funny, I flew into BOS yesterday evening and while my flight was rolling out on 27 I could see a B6 E190 on final for 32. I can't remember the last time I saw that.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:36 pm

AviationAddict wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

1. where's the fun in that..lol
2. I still think it's an idea to entertain. Unlikely i grant you... I believe a re-do of that whole area is the last piece that Massport can potentially do to expand on the existing footprint, given the waste of time 14/32 is you could move things significantly over and expand A as a result, maybe knock down the old Eagle terminal, if nobody is going to use it..



It's funny, I flew into BOS yesterday evening and while my flight was rolling out on 27 I could see a B6 E190 on final for 32. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

Brings up an interesting point, when B6 switch to the 220's, do they have similar performance characteristics to the E190 (not in terms of fuel burn, we know that's blown out of the water, but can they use a 5000ft runway like 14/32. If that's not the case, makes even less case to keep it long term.

From enilria's OAG, I picked out some growth in B6's flights for September and there's a couple of very interesting ones. October is not filed fully, so ignore. But some curious September ones for sure.


B6 AUS-BOS SEP 0.1>1.8[1.0] OCT 0>1.5[1.0]***i've only seen them go more than daily once on this route and it was for a month around SXSW, WN and DL have pushed themselves onto the route and broken up B6's monopoly quite successfully (although I will leave it to tphuang to determine if they are getting better fares or not), so this might be the quiet start of a push back.
B6 BOS-SAV SEP 0.1>1.7[1.0] OCT 0>1.7[1.0] - more than daily in September?
B6 BOS-SDQ SEP 0.2>2.0[1.3] OCT 0>1.1[1.3]
B6 BOS-ROC SEP 0.1>1.0[0] OCT 0>0.8[0]
B6 BOS-MSY SEP 0.1>1.9[1.6] OCT 0>1.7[1.9] - nice to see this one pushing up a little
B6 BOS-MVY SEP 0.1>0.6[0.1] - again interesting in the shoulder season
B6 BOS-LGB SEP 0.1>1.0[1.7] OCT 0>0.8[1.6] * dial back at LGB
B6 BOS-DCA SEP 1.1>10[9] OCT 0>9[10] - extra in September is curious, as that's normally a quieter month
B6 BOS-CHS SEP 0.2>3[2] OCT 0>2[1.9]

I've pulled the Domestic analysis through Oct 18 and will post that this afternoon before the superbowl begins. GO Pats!
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
AviationAddict
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:37 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm

VS4ever wrote:
AviationAddict wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

1. where's the fun in that..lol
2. I still think it's an idea to entertain. Unlikely i grant you... I believe a re-do of that whole area is the last piece that Massport can potentially do to expand on the existing footprint, given the waste of time 14/32 is you could move things significantly over and expand A as a result, maybe knock down the old Eagle terminal, if nobody is going to use it..



It's funny, I flew into BOS yesterday evening and while my flight was rolling out on 27 I could see a B6 E190 on final for 32. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

Brings up an interesting point, when B6 switch to the 220's, do they have similar performance characteristics to the E190 (not in terms of fuel burn, we know that's blown out of the water, but can they use a 5000ft runway like 14/32. If that's not the case, makes even less case to keep it long term.

From enilria's OAG, I picked out some growth in B6's flights for September and there's a couple of very interesting ones. October is not filed fully, so ignore. But some curious September ones for sure.


B6 AUS-BOS SEP 0.1>1.8[1.0] OCT 0>1.5[1.0]***i've only seen them go more than daily once on this route and it was for a month around SXSW, WN and DL have pushed themselves onto the route and broken up B6's monopoly quite successfully (although I will leave it to tphuang to determine if they are getting better fares or not), so this might be the quiet start of a push back.
B6 BOS-SAV SEP 0.1>1.7[1.0] OCT 0>1.7[1.0] - more than daily in September?
B6 BOS-SDQ SEP 0.2>2.0[1.3] OCT 0>1.1[1.3]
B6 BOS-ROC SEP 0.1>1.0[0] OCT 0>0.8[0]
B6 BOS-MSY SEP 0.1>1.9[1.6] OCT 0>1.7[1.9] - nice to see this one pushing up a little
B6 BOS-MVY SEP 0.1>0.6[0.1] - again interesting in the shoulder season
B6 BOS-LGB SEP 0.1>1.0[1.7] OCT 0>0.8[1.6] * dial back at LGB
B6 BOS-DCA SEP 1.1>10[9] OCT 0>9[10] - extra in September is curious, as that's normally a quieter month
B6 BOS-CHS SEP 0.2>3[2] OCT 0>2[1.9]

I've pulled the Domestic analysis through Oct 18 and will post that this afternoon before the superbowl begins. GO Pats!



I'm sure the folks at ACK, MVY, HYA, etc. are hoping the A220s have good short field performance.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:44 pm

BOS & ORH - Domestic Analysis - Oct 2018

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eJs9_t ... sp=sharing

Report - How it works.

Due to the large number of combinations of airlines/routes, i've tried to narrow down things a little to break it up a bit. So here goes...

Data shown:
Flights, Seats, Pax, Avg Seats per Flight % Seats % Pax and Load %
(note for % Seats and % Pax), the calculation is within its block

Example:
BOS-AUS, there are 3 carriers on the route, B6, DL and WN, so for their % Seats counts, it's 32.69% for B6, 34.21% for DL, 33.10% for WN, which adds up to 100% of the seats on the route.
As AUS is the only route in the Texas category, the BOS-AUS total is 100% of seats in that category, if you look at Houston (HOU and IAH), then 73% of seats go to IAH and 27% to HOU), Texas is then part of the bigger category of the Southwest, so you are up against Dallas and Houston, so it's 15% of the seats to the overall region. It will make more sense as you read it.

Texas BOS-AUS B6 31 4,662 4,253 150 32.69% 33.12%
DL 31 4,879 4,190 157 34.21% 32.63%
WN 31 4,721 4,398 152 33.10% 34.25%

BOS-AUS Total 93 14,262 12,841 153 100.00% 100.00%
Texas Total 93 14,262 12,841 153 15.16% 15.35%
Grand Total 582 94,053 83,678 162 100.00% 100.00%


Tab Information

I've regionalized the data into 6 regions, plus Worcester (ORH) separately,
Tab 1: Summary, high level summary by region for month, YTD along with the same by aircraft type
Tab 2: Regional Summary by airline, month and YTD, along with the same by aircraft type
Tab 3: Worcester - month and YTD information, not included in Tabs 1 & 2 above
Tabs 4-9: Totals by region, 3 blocks: block 1 (route by airline), block 2 (route by aircraft and summary), block 3 (airlines with route breakdown)
Mid-Atlantic (Virginia,DC and the Carolinas)
Midwest (Ohio, Chicago, all the way up to Minnesota)
Northeast (PA, NJ/NY and New England)
South (FL, GA over to Louisiana)
Southwest (TX)
West (Rocky Mountains and West)

While i would normally do a breakdown of this, on a single post, there's so much here to go into, that it would be a post of epic proportions, so i might try and break it down into pieces to be more digestible

So i am going to let you enjoy this for now, take a look at it and i'll be back with some analysis soon.

VS4ever
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:13 pm

AviationAddict wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
AviationAddict wrote:
It's funny, I flew into BOS yesterday evening and while my flight was rolling out on 27 I could see a B6 E190 on final for 32. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

Brings up an interesting point, when B6 switch to the 220's, do they have similar performance characteristics to the E190 (not in terms of fuel burn, we know that's blown out of the water, but can they use a 5000ft runway like 14/32. If that's not the case, makes even less case to keep it long term.

I'm sure the folks at ACK, MVY, HYA, etc. are hoping the A220s have good short field performance.

They don't have to because all of those airports have a longer runway than BOS's 14/32 :)
As for the performance, the A220 APP can be found here
https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/support ... stics.html
If I'm reading it correctly it can takeoff from a 5,000ft runway at aprox. 122k-130k lbs of TOW That is short of it's 149k lbs MTOW but we don't know how often it will be needed.
The E190 is significantly lighter and therefore it has no problem on a 5,000ft rwy even at or near MTOW.
In other words, rwy 14/32 will be even less useful once B6 switched from E190's to A220s.
 
BOSMEMFlyer
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:43 pm

First I've seen showing what has been said on here re: passenger count:

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/comm ... ects-97348
 
iyerhari
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:38 pm

airway1 wrote:
Just saw Houston 2018 at 41.5 million

https://d14ik00wldmhq.cloudfront.net/me ... _final.pdf

IAH official numbers are out.

Total pax: 43,807,539 (higher than BOS by 2,865,614 pax). This is a steep climb for BOS and i believe unless something spectacular happens, BOS is a long way behind IAH.

IAH-BOS
654,853
444,034
490,837
37,603
9,930
194,032
236,939
(158,440)
(107,969)
(27,470)
362,359
697,500

2,834,208
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 pm

iyerhari wrote:
airway1 wrote:
Just saw Houston 2018 at 41.5 million

https://d14ik00wldmhq.cloudfront.net/me ... _final.pdf

IAH official numbers are out.

Total pax: 43,807,539 (higher than BOS by 2,865,614 pax). This is a steep climb for BOS and i believe unless something spectacular happens, BOS is a long way behind IAH.

IAH-BOS
654,853
444,034
490,837
37,603
9,930
194,032
236,939
(158,440)
(107,969)
(27,470)
362,359
697,500

2,834,208


Just goes to show how seasonal BOS is, April, May are very close to BOS, Aug, Sep and Oct are bigger than IAH, but we get killed in the winter months, when all our schedules get cut back.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Any reason the legacy Chinese airlines have no interest in flying to BOS?
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 2978
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Any reason the legacy Chinese airlines have no interest in flying to BOS?


Simple answer: No frequencies available on Chinese side for CAN/PEK/PVG-USA
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
airbazar
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:42 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Just goes to show how seasonal BOS is, April, May are very close to BOS, Aug, Sep and Oct are bigger than IAH, but we get killed in the winter months, when all our schedules get cut back.

That's hardly a BOS issue. More like every airport that is not a southern hub.
IAH is a huge North-South hub so they get a lot of traffic to/from the rest of the country connecting to warm destinations.
 
airway1
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:58 pm

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/comm ... -97348#ath

Mentions Royal Air Maroc starting later this year
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

airbazar wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Just goes to show how seasonal BOS is, April, May are very close to BOS, Aug, Sep and Oct are bigger than IAH, but we get killed in the winter months, when all our schedules get cut back.

That's hardly a BOS issue. More like every airport that is not a southern hub.
IAH is a huge North-South hub so they get a lot of traffic to/from the rest of the country connecting to warm destinations.


Not saying it was just a BOS issue, but shows just how it is as a comparison, the fact that we are even this close to IAH now, says a lot for the growth of BOS over the past few years and the stagnation of IAH following the oil price drop in previous years. 10 years ago, we wouldnt' have even been in the same league as we are now, and says a lot.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
Dieuwer
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:02 pm

How does BOS compare to SEA, pax-wise?
 
iyerhari
Posts: 895
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2019

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
How does BOS compare to SEA, pax-wise?

Rank Airport Total pax Intl. pax Relative to BOS Intl. pax % 2017 pax Reported months
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 SEA 49,849,340 5,427,551 8,907,415 10.89% 46,934,194 Dec
9 LAS 49,713,540 3,964,965 8,771,615 7.98% 48,500,194 Dec
10 MCO 47,696,627 6,600,637 6,754,702 13.84% 44,672,421 Dec
11 PHX 44,943,125 2,151,504 4,001,200 4.79% 44,071,313 Dec
12 MIA 45,044,312 21,876,691 4,102,387 48.57% 44,611,265 Dec
13 IAH 43,807,539 10,733,600 2,865,614 24.50% 40,696,216 Dec
14 EWR 43,460,191 12,903,799 2,518,266 29.69% 43,921,670 Nov
15 CLT 42,436,689 2,881,174 1,494,764 6.79% 45,909,899 Nov
16 BOS 40,941,925 7,583,887 - 18.52% 38,412,419 Dec
17 MSP 38,037,381 3,022,388 (2,904,544) 7.95% 38,034,341 Dec
18 DTW 35,236,676 3,263,378 (5,705,249) 9.26% 34,701,497 Dec
19 FLL 35,959,225 8,608,363 (4,982,700) 23.94% 32,511,053 Dec
20 PHL 31,696,564 3,938,680 (9,245,361) 12.43% 29,585,754 Dec
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 15

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos