intotheair

Re: United Fleet/Network Thread - 2019

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Fascinating to see UA's biggest accounts. I suppose Apple is no surprise. The last time I looked closely, Apple (and perhaps a handful of other companies) has a dedicated UA check-in desk in T3 at SFO.

I wonder where Disney would have fallen on that list just a few years ago. That was rumored to be one of the biggest accounts UA lost after they left JFK.

Also, UA has been advertising like crazy on TV in the Bay Area lately. They've bought tons of spots on KTVU and KPIX just to name a few.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

GmoneyCO

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Anyone have any insight into what the folks at Apple/Google/Facebook who travel that extensively do job wise that requires that level of travel? 50 daily seats SFO/PVG for Apple alone is a lot. I understand why a lot of the names are on that list (e.g. pwc, Deloitte, etc.) but the extremes associated with their dollar amounts caught me off guard.

FSDan

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 pm

United787 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
Some insight into UA corporate accounts. Interesting Apple is the #1 account by such a large margin.

Really interesting, surprised they would make that public.

I wonder if this is just SFO/LAX accounts and info?

It might even be just SFO accounts - most of the companies on the list are HQed in the Bay Area. If it was a global list of UA's biggest accounts, you'd expect some Houston/Chicago/Washington/New York/New Jersey heavyweights to make the list as well.

Nonetheless, very interesting to see how Apple (and presumably many other Bay Area tech companies) helps sustain the broad TPAC network UA has out of SFO.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

xxcr

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:25 am

LAXintl wrote:
United787 wrote:

Seems they currently have a push internally to take extra special care of Apple as the contract is up for renewal now in Q1.

Also now one understands why some routes received the 77W pretty early - such as TPE, and why some new SFO routes have been launched like TLV.

xxcr wrote:
I'm actually surprised UA is able to make the SFO-SIN-SFO without issue, yet the LAX-SIN-LAX is having issues with weight. Those two cities are only separated by what, 400 miles? Can the A359 make the
LAX-SIN-LAX without load restrictons? or would they need the A359ULR?

That 400mi is 1-hour additional flight time (cost + added fuel weight)
UA was taking as many as 60-70 seatblocks westbound during deep winter months especially.

xxcr wrote:
I'm still waiting for UA to add a 2nd SFO-HKG flight!

Not sure we will see that. They are about to take a $206mil impairment charge associated with its Hong Kong routes.

60-70 seats....hot damn! well, i guess we'll wait and see what happens next. UA seems to be extremely happy with the Pacific Gateway out of SFO!

SFOtoORD

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:29 am

GmoneyCO wrote:
Anyone have any insight into what the folks at Apple/Google/Facebook who travel that extensively do job wise that requires that level of travel? 50 daily seats SFO/PVG for Apple alone is a lot. I understand why a lot of the names are on that list (e.g. pwc, Deloitte, etc.) but the extremes associated with their dollar amounts caught me off guard.

~$100B in iPhones manufactured in China let alone all their other devices and their local China business.

LAXintl

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

By the way - not much of this is secret.

BTN does an annual round up of top-100 corporate travel spend with airline and hotel info. For example Apple in 2017 spent $275mil and is the U.S. 5th corporate largest travel buyer.

Summary:
https://www.businesstravelnews.com/Corp ... 2018/Apple

For print subscribers BTN post specific airline, hotel and car rental spend by each buyer as well.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

iahcsr

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:13 am

xxcr wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
United787 wrote:

Seems they currently have a push internally to take extra special care of Apple as the contract is up for renewal now in Q1.

Also now one understands why some routes received the 77W pretty early - such as TPE, and why some new SFO routes have been launched like TLV.

xxcr wrote:
I'm actually surprised UA is able to make the SFO-SIN-SFO without issue, yet the LAX-SIN-LAX is having issues with weight. Those two cities are only separated by what, 400 miles? Can the A359 make the

That 400mi is 1-hour additional flight time (cost + added fuel weight)
UA was taking as many as 60-70 seatblocks westbound during deep winter months especially.

xxcr wrote:
I'm still waiting for UA to add a 2nd SFO-HKG flight!

Not sure we will see that. They are about to take a $206mil impairment charge associated with its Hong Kong routes.

60-70 seats....hot damn! well, i guess we'll wait and see what happens next. UA seems to be extremely happy with the Pacific Gateway out of SFO!

UA uses the iPhone 6+ (with UA proprietary apps) for inflight and airport agent activities to stop dependence on PCs. Told we will get 7+ or 8+ at some point.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

VC10er

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

FlightLevel360 wrote:
UPlog wrote:
Having a fleet (16?) of low density 763 will certainly be a problem in an economic slowdown. Corporations pull premium class travel spend fast when things head south. Economy class demand has always been more resilient.
Even AA during the 2008-2009 decline complained it had too many premium seats on its then 772 fleet even in top corporate markets like NYC-London as key sectors like financial firms slashed their travel on both sides of the Atlantic.

Such a configuration might indeed be a winner in good times, but it could end up being a millstone for UA if things turn for the worse.

I am more concerned with the fact that they have decided to make all window/aisle seats on the sides of the aircraft Economy Plus and are thus charging for them.

As a window seat lover, I am incredibly disappointed by this fact. I will be avoiding this configuration as long as I am in Y-. This suddenly makes the 777 with 3-4-3 economy much more appealing.

Perhaps this info (if true) will lift your spirits: I asked this very question (here on a.net) when the new super premium 767 configuration was first announced and included the new seat map. I noted how small regular Y was (and mostly the center seats) the very few regular Economy seats will probably fill up quickly with “basic economy” fliers, then once that happens any further booking for “regular economy” passengers, they will be able to then select an open “economy Plus” seat with no additional charge on these high premium 767’s. The person who contributed that information was essentially saying that these high premium 767’s will actually be a good thing for for Y passengers because there are so few regular (tight squeeze) seats that it will actually be a benefit to Y pax as they would have a pretty good chance to get E+, along the side: window etc of the ac without having to pay up for E+.
Naturally I cannot varify if this person had solid internal intel, but they made a strong case that this configuration will be good for a Y pax getting E+ gratis, as the regular Y seat count is was based on estimates for “basic” fliers.
Good luck- I’m a “window only” person myself!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

VC10er

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 pm

It makes me wonder if the High Premium 767’s meet expectations, would UA consider creating a sub fleet of High Premium 787s for TransPac Premium destinations...when they finally come due for Polaris refits? Or, perhaps the 789 top up order could see this kind of premium heavy configuration?
I would think that Apple business fliers would really welcome that as they sit in an older style business seat and gaze out of their window at a Singapore A350. It would surely help UA retain this valuable contract. Polaris may not be Singapore Business, but it does close the current gap significantly in terms of privacy, all aisle access and atmospherically (design wise) far more attractive than the boring current UA interior (Something I believe is more important than people think) for me, the 6-8 times I’ve flown new Polaris, it is certainly the nicest UA/CO has ever looked. It does look and feel like a whole new airline.

CALTECH

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm

United News
https://hub.united.com/united-polaris-l ... 48070.html

A new star is born at LAX, Polaris Lounge

The early birds at LAX got a sneak preview of United's newest United Polaris lounge on Wednesday morning, as employees were offered a private tour before its January 12 opening to customers.

The space, which is tucked away between Gates 73 and 75A in Terminal 7, is a marble-appointed oasis for the weary traveler. With a footprint of more than 12,000 square feet, the lounge has ample space for relaxation, and no amenity has been overlooked. The seating area is filled with plush, oversized chairs, with tables and desks throughout for those who need a place to work. On the far side of the lounge are private shower suites and rest areas where customers can catch a quick power nap.

Separating the two sections is a rotunda overlooking the terminal concourse, with a customer service desk, a cozy dining room and large buffet that will offer bites ranging from light fare, such as chia seed yogurt parfaits and smoked salmon protein plates, to hearty options like Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches crafted on La Brea bakery bread.

One never has to venture far without sustenance, with snacks, sweets, fresh juices and a live-action food station at the ready. There is also a spacious bar stocked with top-shelf liquors and an extensive wine selection.

And let’s not forget the view. Floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the ramp and the runway, with a perfect sightline to the LAX Theme Building and the hills beyond it.

That’s all spectacular, of course, but the real highlight of the LAX Polaris lounge experience is the staff. At Wednesday’s event, employees were greeted warmly and given the VIP treatment at every turn, the same as United's customers can expect.

“I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff,” said a LAX GSE and Facility Maintenance Senior Coordinator, when asked what struck her the most upon entering. She was joined by a LAX Flight Attendant.and a LAX United Club Customer Service Representative, both of whom nodded in agreement.

“I love the atmosphere, I like the colors in here. It’s refreshing and soothing.”

Ultimately, that’s what United is striving for with the lounge experience. In tandem with the United Polaris onboard product, it’s meant to leave United's customers feeling rejuvenated before, during and after a long flight.

On Thursday, Oscar Munoz hosted a special preview event for media, during which he unveiled exciting news for United's lounge network. Before the end of 2019, United will introduce newly renovated United Clubs at LGA (New York-LaGuardia) and FLL (Ft. Lauderdale, Florida), and United will expand it's footprint with two brand-new United Club locations at MSY (New Orleans) and RDU (Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina).
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

Fargo

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:40 pm

CALTECH wrote:
United News

The early birds at LAX got a sneak preview of United's newest United Polaris lounge on Wednesday morning, as employees were offered a private tour before its January 12 opening to customers.

The space, which is tucked away between Gates 73 and 75A in Terminal 7, is a marble-appointed oasis for the weary traveler. With a footprint of more than 12,000 square feet, the lounge has ample space for relaxation, and no amenity has been overlooked. The seating area is filled with plush, oversized chairs, with tables and desks throughout for those who need a place to work. On the far side of the lounge are private shower suites and rest areas where customers can catch a quick power nap.

Separating the two sections is a rotunda overlooking the terminal concourse, with a customer service desk, a cozy dining room and large buffet that will offer bites ranging from light fare, such as chia seed yogurt parfaits and smoked salmon protein plates, to hearty options like Vietnamese banh mi sandwiches crafted on La Brea bakery bread.

One never has to venture far without sustenance, with snacks, sweets, fresh juices and a live-action food station at the ready. There is also a spacious bar stocked with top-shelf liquors and an extensive wine selection.

And let’s not forget the view. Floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the ramp and the runway, with a perfect sightline to the LAX Theme Building and the hills beyond it.

That’s all spectacular, of course, but the real highlight of the LAX Polaris lounge experience is the staff. At Wednesday’s event, employees were greeted warmly and given the VIP treatment at every turn, the same as United's customers can expect.

“I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff,” said a LAX GSE and Facility Maintenance Senior Coordinator, when asked what struck her the most upon entering. She was joined by a LAX Flight Attendant.and a LAX United Club Customer Service Representative, both of whom nodded in agreement.

“I love the atmosphere, I like the colors in here. It’s refreshing and soothing.”

Ultimately, that’s what United is striving for with the lounge experience. In tandem with the United Polaris onboard product, it’s meant to leave United's customers feeling rejuvenated before, during and after a long flight.

On Thursday, Oscar Munoz hosted a special preview event for media, during which he unveiled exciting news for United's lounge network. Before the end of 2019, United will introduce newly renovated United Clubs at LGA (New York-LaGuardia) and FLL (Ft. Lauderdale, Florida), and United will expand it's footprint with two brand-new United Club locations at MSY (New Orleans) and RDU (Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina).

Suprised they aren’t doing BNA as well. Maybe someday.

audidudi

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:34 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
United787 wrote:
I am not a fan of the fleet and network threads being combined...

There was a significant amount of crossover among the two discussions. This centralizes the discussion into being more-or-less anything UA. The whole purpose of these general topic threads is to limit duplication of the same discussions. We'll potentially do the same with the DL threads if the updates we're doing at the top of this thread prove to be a popular feature for users.

If this thread becomes too lengthy, it may be split into a first half/second half 2019.

That will be fantastic when you potentially do the same with the DL threads, as I have no doubt that this will be a popular feature for all of us! Thank you in advance!

audidudi

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:59 pm

wn676 wrote:
N17002 is in SFO for gate fits today and then headed down to LAX.

It actually flew from SFO>IAH>SFO yesterday, and another flight today to IAH has been cancelled!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N17002

jayunited

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

xxcr wrote:

Since UA does not have the A359 in our fleet I don't know the actual real world capabilities of the A359 v.s the A359ULR v.s the 789. Till UA takes delivery of this aircraft I can only go by whats on Airbus's site and what people post here on a.netters. Just looking at SQ's use of their A359 v.s their A359ULR there has to be a reason why SQ didn't relaunch LAX-SIN with the arrival of their A359s. they instead chose to wait for the ULR model and I think it is because the normal A359 in standard configuration would probably have faced the same problems UA face with our 789s blocking rows and rows of seats. I still give UA credit for trying this route but its hard to turn a profit when your blocking up to 70 seats at a time especially during the winter season but even during the summer depending on the route, fuel, winds we were blocking 15-30 seats per night.

Personally I think if Boeing were to design an 789ULR (I know it will never happen because of the 778) and UA did do some sort of premium heavy configuration we wouldn't be discussing the A359 at all because the entire 787 family could cover all of UA's needs. UA needs a ULR aircraft if and I stress if like I stated before some of the rumors and chatter I've heard here at Willis are true. However the 778 is to big for what could be our future needs. Both the 789 and A359 in my opinion are the right size for UA to use on ULH routes but only Airbus has a capable aircraft in the A359ULR.

audidudi

Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

audidudi wrote:
wn676 wrote:

It actually flew from SFO>IAH>SFO yesterday, and another flight today to IAH has been cancelled!

And now the flight # has been changed to a regular revenue flight and is back on again!

iahcsr

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm

audidudi wrote:
audidudi wrote:
wn676 wrote:

And now the flight # has been changed to a regular revenue flight and is back on again!

Indeed. Aircraft was originally to ferry empty SFOIAH. Now will op as UA283/2020 SFOIAHSFO 12Jan

Just FYI
Two 39Ms and one 78J would’ve been delivered by now if not for the government shutdown. Needed FAA inspections and paperwork can not currently be processed. Much longer and this will increase to three and two.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 am

The fleet changes, fleet status, and glossary posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

Once again, if anyone is interested in helping to contribute to a Recent News section or help expand the glossary, please PM me. calpsafltskeds has put in a lot of work on the existing info, so it would be great if someone helped out to expand on his excellent work. Thanks again to him and to anyone interested in helping to enhance the quality of this thread.

✈️ atcsundevil

hOMSaR

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 am

atcsundevil wrote:
The fleet changes, fleet status, and glossary posts at the start of this thread have been updated.

Once again, if anyone is interested in helping to contribute to a Recent News section or help expand the glossary, please PM me. calpsafltskeds has put in a lot of work on the existing info, so it would be great if someone helped out to expand on his excellent work. Thanks again to him and to anyone interested in helping to enhance the quality of this thread.

✈️ atcsundevil

Are the 788 and 789 really called 76V and 76Z as implied in the fleet list, or is that a typo or copy/paste error?
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

iahcsr

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 am

hOMSaR wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

✈️ atcsundevil

Are the 788 and 789 really called 76V and 76Z as implied in the fleet list, or is that a typo or copy/paste error?

Definitely a typo... Should read 78V/Z .. oops :oops:

77H

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am

jayunited wrote:
xxcr wrote:

Since UA does not have the A359 in our fleet I don't know the actual real world capabilities of the A359 v.s the A359ULR v.s the 789. Till UA takes delivery of this aircraft I can only go by whats on Airbus's site and what people post here on a.netters. Just looking at SQ's use of their A359 v.s their A359ULR there has to be a reason why SQ didn't relaunch LAX-SIN with the arrival of their A359s. they instead chose to wait for the ULR model and I think it is because the normal A359 in standard configuration would probably have faced the same problems UA face with our 789s blocking rows and rows of seats. I still give UA credit for trying this route but its hard to turn a profit when your blocking up to 70 seats at a time especially during the winter season but even during the summer depending on the route, fuel, winds we were blocking 15-30 seats per night.

Personally I think if Boeing were to design an 789ULR (I know it will never happen because of the 778) and UA did do some sort of premium heavy configuration we wouldn't be discussing the A359 at all because the entire 787 family could cover all of UA's needs. UA needs a ULR aircraft if and I stress if like I stated before some of the rumors and chatter I've heard here at Willis are true. However the 778 is to big for what could be our future needs. Both the 789 and A359 in my opinion are the right size for UA to use on ULH routes but only Airbus has a capable aircraft in the A359ULR.

I've always wondered UA (or sUA/CO pre-merger) missed an opportunity in ordering the 77L. While not as efficient as the newest gen aircraft my understanding is its still the longest range commercial aircraft available and was more or less state-of-the-art when introduced. UA had the largest 772/E fleet in the world at the time the 77L was introduced and had a long haul network that surely could have used the added range and payload the 77L offered, especially relative to their lower thrust PW powered aircraft. CO had a slightly smaller though still impressive long haul network and less 77Es but those 77Es were equipped with the same engine type as the 77L.

DL on the other hand, the smallest of the US 772/E operators ultimately acquired 10 77Ls and put them to good use on several unique long haul routes as well as on routes UA operated at a payload disadvantage. One such route was LAX-SYD where UA struggled with payload restrictions often when the route was operated by their PW 77Es. There are several other routes the combined UA flies today the push the limits of their 77Es which costs them in the form of blocked seats or less cargo revenue. One would imagine that the 77L, on select routes would have provided a value add without adding completely new aircraft to the fleet, especially under the combined carrier. The 77L would certainly have allowed them to operate a route like LAX-SIN likely without penalty as well as their flights to SYD that, even with the 789, encounter weight restrictions.

On that note, I wonder if Boeing will eventually offer a slight shrink to the 77X (Quadruple 7? // 777-7) or even a shrink to the 778 that would ultimately be lighter, have more range and less capacity than the 778 which from my understanding sits between the 77E/L and the 77W. The reason I bring this up is that many airlines have said that even the 778 will have more capacity than needed by most ultra long haul carriers and that it the 778 as projected is to heavy relative to the 359/X. A 77X shrink closer to the 77E/L would likely provide a range offering far exceeding what a 359U/35X could ever provide while providing capacity similar to the 77E/L today at a weight some what closer to the 350 series. Perhaps airlines like UA who have been long standing 777 series operators would find such an aircraft more appealing.

77H

jayunited

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 pm

77H wrote:
I've always wondered UA (or sUA/CO pre-merger) missed an opportunity in ordering the 77L. While not as efficient as the newest gen aircraft my understanding is its still the longest range commercial aircraft available and was more or less state-of-the-art when introduced. UA had the largest 772/E fleet in the world at the time the 77L was introduced and had a long haul network that surely could have used the added range and payload the 77L offered, especially relative to their lower thrust PW powered aircraft. CO had a slightly smaller though still impressive long haul network and less 77Es but those 77Es were equipped with the same engine type as the 77L.

DL on the other hand, the smallest of the US 772/E operators ultimately acquired 10 77Ls and put them to good use on several unique long haul routes as well as on routes UA operated at a payload disadvantage. One such route was LAX-SYD where UA struggled with payload restrictions often when the route was operated by their PW 77Es. There are several other routes the combined UA flies today the push the limits of their 77Es which costs them in the form of blocked seats or less cargo revenue. One would imagine that the 77L, on select routes would have provided a value add without adding completely new aircraft to the fleet, especially under the combined carrier. The 77L would certainly have allowed them to operate a route like LAX-SIN likely without penalty as well as their flights to SYD that, even with the 789, encounter weight restrictions.

On that note, I wonder if Boeing will eventually offer a slight shrink to the 77X (Quadruple 7? // 777-7) or even a shrink to the 778 that would ultimately be lighter, have more range and less capacity than the 778 which from my understanding sits between the 77E/L and the 77W. The reason I bring this up is that many airlines have said that even the 778 will have more capacity than needed by most ultra long haul carriers and that it the 778 as projected is to heavy relative to the 359/X. A 77X shrink closer to the 77E/L would likely provide a range offering far exceeding what a 359U/35X could ever provide while providing capacity similar to the 77E/L today at a weight some what closer to the 350 series. Perhaps airlines like UA who have been long standing 777 series operators would find such an aircraft more appealing.

77H

I think the reason pre-merger UA never considered the 77L is because we had the 744's. Although they had their issues with weight restrictions they were capable aircraft, but after UA pull out of the JFK-Asia markets our longest nonstop flight was ORD-HKG and for the most part the 744 could handled this route. Those 90+ degree days in the summer were a challenge and then came the reliability issues but outside of those things pre-merger UA depended on the 744 for the long haul heavy lifting.

Post merger UA I'm not sure if they ever considered the 77L, I don't know if Boeing even made a sales pitch to UA for the 77L post merger. Once UA post merger had enough 789s in the fleet they moved those aircraft from IAH to LAX/SFO and onto LAX/SFO-SYD routes which eliminated all weight restrictions on those routes. We know Boeing pitched the 748i which UA did consider but ultimately turn down instead choosing the 77W as the 744s replacement. I believe UA post merger had their eye set on the 789 being the aircraft that could cover ULH routes.

The 789 and A359/ULR are the right size aircraft for UA's ULH needs and personally I think if Boeing does try to pitch the 778 to UA, they will turn it down. It may be the right size for EK, and QR but its just to big of an aircraft for UA's needs on ULH routes which leaves the door open for Airbus and their A359 and A359ULR.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 pm

iahcsr wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
[Are the 788 and 789 really called 76V and 76Z as implied in the fleet list, or is that a typo or copy/paste error?

Definitely a typo... Should read 78V/Z .. oops :oops:

Fixed. Thanks!

VC10er

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 pm

I am under the impression that Singapore is UA’s longest route in their network? Please correct me if I’m wrong!
Looking far enough into the future, what would be UA’s potential new ULH flights be? NYC to? SFO to? ORD to etc? Etc.
We all know that what goes up must come down, the enconomy might see a downturn soon, but it surely is not slowing down NYC real estate, if you haven’t been to NYC lately there is massive growth of multi million dollar apartments, the townhouse next to mine was just put on the market for $59 million. Apartments at One Wall st start at $3 million (which would be a studio in the back on the 2nd floor) the rest are $7 to $25 million I believe.
Surrounded by new 70 story multi million dollar apartments, and parts of Brooklyn are no less. I do not think this is a NYC phenomenon, SF, London too. Most must have professions that support this lifestyle- can’t just be oligarchs.
So, I’m connecting the arrival of many thousands of the super rich to the potential need for more NYC-SIN kind of flying. (Not just from NYC) Perhaps at first the 778 might be too much airplane, so what would be the best (upcoming) option to open such routes, as UA has done with the 788?

southwest1675

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Fargo wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
United News

Suprised they aren’t doing BNA as well. Maybe someday.

There’s nowhere to put a club in BNA unfortunately.
RIP Herb Kelleher.

United1

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 pm

VC10er wrote:
I am under the impression that Singapore is UA’s longest route in their network? Please correct me if I’m wrong!
Looking far enough into the future, what would be UA’s potential new ULH flights be? NYC to? SFO to? ORD to etc? Etc.
We all know that what goes up must come down, the enconomy might see a downturn soon, but it surely is not slowing down NYC real estate, if you haven’t been to NYC lately there is massive growth of multi million dollar apartments, the townhouse next to mine was just put on the market for $59 million. Apartments at One Wall st start at $3 million (which would be a studio in the back on the 2nd floor) the rest are $7 to $25 million I believe.
Surrounded by new 70 story multi million dollar apartments, and parts of Brooklyn are no less. I do not think this is a NYC phenomenon, SF, London too. Most must have professions that support this lifestyle- can’t just be oligarchs.
So, I’m connecting the arrival of many thousands of the super rich to the potential need for more NYC-SIN kind of flying. (Not just from NYC) Perhaps at first the 778 might be too much airplane, so what would be the best (upcoming) option to open such routes, as UA has done with the 788?

IAH-SYD is UAs longest route actually.

Probably a 787/350 variant. Both aircraft are far to new to require a clean sheet design but 787ER or 350LR variants are probably the next logical steps to improve both aircraft.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

VC10er

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:36 pm

United1 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Probably a 787/350 variant. Both aircraft are far to new to require a clean sheet design but 787ER or 350LR variants are probably the next logical steps to improve both aircraft.

Really! I have never read anything about a 787ER. Do you think that’s something viable? Has Boeing ever stated anything about extending range? Thanks

cosyr

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:20 am

VC10er wrote:
United1 wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Really! I have never read anything about a 787ER. Do you think that’s something viable? Has Boeing ever stated anything about extending range? Thanks

I don't believe Boeing or Airbus have ever made a plane without contingencies for a bigger stretch or a an extended range. There would probably be some trade off with cargo, but I'm sure they can add an extra tank, and I don't know if the 78J has different main gear than the 789, but one way or another, there must be options to increase the MTOW of the 789.

hoya

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:25 am

jayunited wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

I think the reason pre-merger UA never considered the 77L is because we had the 744's. Although they had their issues with weight restrictions they were capable aircraft, but after UA pull out of the JFK-Asia markets our longest nonstop flight was ORD-HKG and for the most part the 744 could handled this route. Those 90+ degree days in the summer were a challenge and then came the reliability issues but outside of those things pre-merger UA depended on the 744 for the long haul heavy lifting.

Post merger UA I'm not sure if they ever considered the 77L, I don't know if Boeing even made a sales pitch to UA for the 77L post merger. Once UA post merger had enough 789s in the fleet they moved those aircraft from IAH to LAX/SFO and onto LAX/SFO-SYD routes which eliminated all weight restrictions on those routes. We know Boeing pitched the 748i which UA did consider but ultimately turn down instead choosing the 77W as the 744s replacement. I believe UA post merger had their eye set on the 789 being the aircraft that could cover ULH routes.

The 789 and A359/ULR are the right size aircraft for UA's ULH needs and personally I think if Boeing does try to pitch the 778 to UA, they will turn it down. It may be the right size for EK, and QR but its just to big of an aircraft for UA's needs on ULH routes which leaves the door open for Airbus and their A359 and A359ULR.

Pre-merger UA 777s also have PW engines, whereas the 77L has GEs, and pre-merger UA avoided GE engines due to UA 232 (Sioux City DC-10 crash). ORD will see the sCO 777s on HKG and other routes this summer.
Hoya Saxa!!

Fargo

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:28 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
CALTECH wrote:
United News

Surprised they aren’t doing BNA as well. Maybe someday.

There’s nowhere to put a club in BNA unfortunately.

Maybe a post BNA Vision project will be in order to expand B into a mirror image of C and consolidate all the legacies there and build enough space so they can all have their own clubs

calpsafltskeds

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 am

763:
N664UA entered MCO 2747/9Jan, exited 2762/12Jan
N667UA entered MCO 2745/13Jan

77W:
N2142U exited SFO 901/13Jan, so no second PE mod line

strfyr51

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:39 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Does United Airlines regret retiring the 737-500?

I don't think so, The A320/A319 more than took it's place.

xxcr

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:34 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

the 735 was a workhorse for UA. I remember when they did the Shuttle by United. SFO-LAX-SFO. I used to fly that route when i super young as a non-rev, and that's i saw on that route.

Tkt96

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Q4 earnings shows December 2018 new aircraft orders...
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

strfyr51

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
[quothete="blacksoviet"]Does United Airlines regret retiring the 737-500?

No, since the A319's have more than acquitted themselves in the role the B737-522's played

It likely would have had to as Max’s came online. I remember Southwest was unable to operate he classic, NG, and Max simultaneously without having a separate pilot group for either the classic or the Max. I’m sure UA would have found them in the same situation.

I don’t miss working them. Tiny cargo holds.[/quote]
Was that due to the Airplane or WN's Pilot contract? WN didn't modify the cockpits on the ETOPS airplanes that much did they?

strfyr51

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 pm

xxcr wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

the 735 was a workhorse for UA. I remember when they did the Shuttle by United. SFO-LAX-SFO. I used to fly that route when i super young as a non-rev, and that's i saw on that route.

I think retiring the 737-322;s and 737-522's was a business decision (and a Bad one.) I believe to this day it was a revenge move toward ALPA from Glen Tilton.
I also think it was to set up the Merger so that UA and CO would come in with roughly the same amount of airplanes as the B737-322/522 fleet was 155 airplanes alone..

intotheair

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

So many new and used planes! UA is on a roll!
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90

jayunited

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

I noticed that as well UA order 4 more 77Ws. Some of us insiders have been saying we've seen this in internal documents for quite some time, however this is probably the first time UA has officially stated it publicly that 4 more 77Ws will join the fleet. Once these additional 4 frames are delivered it means UA will have almost replaced the 744's frame for frame with 77Ws.

george77300

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm

On the 777 frames, two are due this year (2019).

Presumably the other two will be 2020 at a guess.
A306 A313 A318 A319 A320 A321 A20N A21N A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388
B712 B733 B734 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B742 B744 B752 B753 B763 B772 B77E B773 B77W B788 B789
AT75 AT76 B190 BCS3 C208 CRJX DH3T E175 E190 P46T RJ85 SF34 SR20 SR22 TBM8

fun2fly

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 pm

Adding four more 77W's is a big deal. The economics must be very good (performance + purchase price) to elect these vs. more 787's and/or wait until the A359's. Either way, UA has 10 widebody aircraft coming online in 2019 + what looks to be like that many again in 2020 with 787's. It should make for some good, new route additions.

For the 8 new 787's noted in the release for delivery in 2019, safe to assume all are 78J's?

On the narrowbody side, adding 21 737MAX9 + 5 A319/320. Also, interesting to note that the 757's will lose 3 frames.

Tremendous growth with 33 frames added net of retirements.
Last edited by fun2fly on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 pm

Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

Do you know if the Max's will be -8 , -9, or -10s?

iahcsr

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 pm

39M
N37510 C1 15Jan “Ready for Delivery” So is FAA back to processing new aircraft, or will this one just sit like 7511? OR.. has 7511 been sitting for weeks because UA wanted/needed 7510 to deliver first?

GmoneyCO

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm

iahcsr wrote:
39M
N37510 C1 15Jan “Ready for Delivery” So is FAA back to processing new aircraft, or will this one just sit like 7511? OR.. has 7511 been sitting for weeks because UA wanted/needed 7510 to deliver first?

Both will be stuck until the FAA is back at work. In the Fleet portion of the Investor Update UA published today, there's a note at the bottom about 7511 and one of the 319s that came in late December being stuck due to the government shutdown.

Max Q

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:38 am

fun2fly wrote:
Adding four more 77W's is a big deal. The economics must be very good (performance + purchase price) to elect these vs. more 787's and/or wait until the A359's. Either way, UA has 10 widebody aircraft coming online in 2019 + what looks to be like that many again in 2020 with 787's. It should make for some good, new route additions.

For the 8 new 787's noted in the release for delivery in 2019, safe to assume all are 78J's?

On the narrowbody side, adding 21 737MAX9 + 5 A319/320. Also, interesting to note that the 757's will lose 3 frames.

Trivia but with these latest 777-300 deliveries will UA’s triple fleet reach 100 aircraft?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Tkt96

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:53 am

Max Q wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

Trivia but with these latest 777-300 deliveries will UA’s triple fleet reach 100 aircraft?

96 with these 4 deliveries.

intotheair

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 am

Max Q wrote:

I count 96:

19 77A
55 77E
22 77W

1989worstyear

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 am

fun2fly wrote:

Are these the 30 year old beater PS 752's or the newer former-CO birds?

Also - I hope they completely rewired their early '90s A320's if they're keeping them for another 10-15 years. Kapton insulation is some dangerous sh*te.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

MSPNWA

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 am

Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

Interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of buying previous generation aircraft no matter the purchase price, even though the 77W is a fine airplane. It seems great for a while, but then 15/20 years down the road you're looking at early retirement. It's a short-term strategy.

blockski

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:15 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

Interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of buying previous generation aircraft no matter the purchase price, even though the 77W is a fine airplane.

Boeing must be offering some amazing deals to bridge production to the 777-9

Fargo

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 am

1. Which variant of the 737 MAX did they place additional orders for?

2. Any word if they are continuing to evaluate 100 seat aircraft and/or place another large narrowbody order soon to continue upgauging?

3. Any word on the 767 replacement talks? Will UA order more 788's or wait for the new 797/MOM?

jayunited

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 am

MSPNWA wrote:
Tkt96 wrote:
777-300 (+4)
737 MAX (+24)

Interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of buying previous generation aircraft no matter the purchase price, even though the 77W is a fine airplane. It seems great for a while, but then 15/20 years down the road you're looking at early retirement. It's a short-term strategy.

But if you were able to get your monies worth out of the frame because you were able to work out a great deal with Boeing is it really still a short term strategy? UA probably was able to negotiate a better deal with Boeing for more 77Ws than Airbus for the A35J especially seeing UA has deferred those aircraft till 2022 and the 77W is nearing the end of the line.

Fargo wrote:
3. Any word on the 767 replacement talks? Will UA order more 788's or wait for the new 797/MOM?

I haven't heard anything on the 767 replacement perhaps it will be discussed on tomorrow January 16th during the live session.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos