WaywardMemphian

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2019

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 am

GSP psgr wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
I've seen Via's track record at BKG, i would never book them.

I feel sad, I want my MEM to get back flights to key cities but Austing via Via is a waste consider all the connecting AA and Southwest flight via Dallas and less than daily with Allegiant.

MEM-CVG-PIT would have made much more sense from a Memphis perspective.

I wonder if Delta could be talked into either MEM-CVG-PIT, MEM-RDU-PIT, or MEM-IND-PIT.

What and not shove everyone thru Atlanta, nonsense LOL. Memphis and Cincy would love it. Throw in their growth in Austin in those potential mixes as well.

Here's where Moxy could shine. Not PIT bit MSY-MEM-STL-MKE for an airline like this that doesn't suck.

What a puff piece on Via

https://thesent.nl/2DZ7sIl

ConcourseZ

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am

Regarding Christine's compensation based on destinations, she was brought here to get some of the NS destinations we lost back. That's her job.

knope2001

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:47 am

flyPIT wrote:
"Via arrives with big intentions. It hopes to make Pittsburgh — its 19th destination — a focus city, with plans to add four to five more flights in the future."
I'm curious about the 4-5 additional flights.

Via also interlines with AA.

knope2001 wrote:
Hopefully the “money” will be nothing more than the routine fee breaks and limited marketing boost which are open to anybody. Anything more than that is exceptionally questionable given the dismal track record of Via Air.

From the P-G article:
"Via will receive incentives from the airport authority but they are nowhere near the $1 million paid to OneJet. Ms. Cassotis said they are standard marketing incentives of “modest amount” — the exact number is still being finalized — available to any carrier starting new service.

The airline also will receive a one-year waiver of landing fees, another standard incentive offered by the airport in exchange for new service.
"
So it appears to be the standard marketing support and waived landing fees for a year.

Thanks for the detail -- that's much more reasonable. I still have serious concerns that they will make a go of this given their awful history but at least this doesn't seem to be a lot of special money.

ncflyer

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 am

True, but in a lasting way, not in a way to make good press releases. Why hasn’t PIT had as much success as Cleveland and Columbus in getting as much Spirit and Frontier service? Those carriers are here to stay…there’s no reason I can think of for those two to be any less successful in PIT— though they don’t help with press releases because they are commonly doubling up on existing popular destinations.

smflyer

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 am

[threeid][/threeid]
ncflyer wrote:
True, but in a lasting way, not in a way to make good press releases. Why hasn’t PIT had as much success as Cleveland and Columbus in getting as much Spirit and Frontier service? Those carriers are here to stay…there’s no reason I can think of for those two to be any less successful in PIT— though they don’t help with press releases because they are commonly doubling up on existing popular destinations.

Billion dollar remodel to PIT is increasing per passenger fees airlines have to pay making PIT less competitive than Cleveland/Columbus. Look at SMF that built a billion dollar terminal 8 years ago and Frontier halted service in 2013 and only resumed service last year when the airport reduced fees due to increased passenger numbers. Everyone loves nice and new airports, but that costs money and only the big airlines with significant business customers are willing to pay. Expensive airports keep ULCCs away and the majors can keep their fares high while absorbing the additional cost of operating in an expensive airport.

flyPIT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 am

ncflyer wrote:
Why hasn’t PIT had as much success as Cleveland and Columbus in getting as much Spirit and Frontier service? Those carriers are here to stay…there’s no reason I can think of for those two to be any less successful in PIT

PIT has as much NK service as CMH, plus you have LBE also supporting NK service to 5 cities.

smflyer wrote:
Billion dollar remodel to PIT is increasing per passenger fees airlines have to pay making PIT less competitive than Cleveland/Columbus. Look at SMF that built a billion dollar terminal 8 years ago and Frontier halted service in 2013 and only resumed service last year when the airport reduced fees due to increased passenger numbers. Everyone loves nice and new airports, but that costs money and only the big airlines with significant business customers are willing to pay. Expensive airports keep ULCCs away and the majors can keep their fares high while absorbing the additional cost of operating in an expensive airport.

PIT's fees have been coming down steadily and are projected to continue to come down even with the new construction. Furthermore the airlines are onboard with the plan.
FLYi

Midwestindy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 am

knope2001 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
"Via arrives with big intentions. It hopes to make Pittsburgh — its 19th destination — a focus city, with plans to add four to five more flights in the future."

knope2001 wrote:
Hopefully the “money” will be nothing more than the routine fee breaks and limited marketing boost which are open to anybody. Anything more than that is exceptionally questionable given the dismal track record of Via Air.

From the P-G article:
"Via will receive incentives from the airport authority but they are nowhere near the $1 million paid to OneJet. Ms. Cassotis said they are standard marketing incentives of “modest amount” — the exact number is still being finalized — available to any carrier starting new service.

The airline also will receive a one-year waiver of landing fees, another standard incentive offered by the airport in exchange for new service.
"
So it appears to be the standard marketing support and waived landing fees for a year.

Thanks for the detail -- that's much more reasonable. I still have serious concerns that they will make a go of this given their awful history but at least this doesn't seem to be a lot of special money.

I agree, this is reasonable.

Also it's not like the airport would turn down Via Air if they asked to expand at PIT, especially since they aren't asking for anything special.

Good luck to Via Air and PIT with the new routes, and filling an air service gap that the majors aren't looking at
Delta Diamond Medallion and AAdvantage Gold for 2019

Runway28L

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 am

I think the issue with F9 at PIT is very simple, and that’s brand recognition. Frontier just happens to be less popular with Pittsburgh travelers than Cleveland or Columbus travelers. If people were trying to get to say, LAS, they would’ve thought of WN first, as they’ve been in that market for a long time. Same thing with ORD, ATL, or MCO... routes that F9 all dropped. People would’ve picked more established carriers first before F9. Plus being less than daily to many of those markets wasn’t a help.

NK doesn’t have that issue because they built up recognition through LBE, plus they are also daily to most of their destinations here. NK has also been marketed very frequently here, whereas F9 hardly has ever been.

F9 claimed that they cut the routes because they underachieved expectations. It has nothing to do with landing fees here, which as mentioned, have been steadily declining since the debt from the current terminal was finally paid off.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Runway28L

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 am

Midwestindy wrote:
knope2001 wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

From the P-G article:

"

I agree, this is reasonable.

Also it's not like the airport would turn down Via Air if they asked to expand at PIT, especially since they aren't asking for anything special.

Good luck to Via Air and PIT with the new routes, and filling an air service gap that the majors aren't looking at

I too agree that the deal is reasonable, now that more details have been given. It’s only for one year too which isn’t so bad.

I also want to see it work but I’m not going to hold my breath.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: http://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted

Flaps

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 am

flyPIT wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
Why hasn’t PIT had as much success as Cleveland and Columbus in getting as much Spirit and Frontier service? Those carriers are here to stay…there’s no reason I can think of for those two to be any less successful in PIT

PIT has as much NK service as CMH, plus you have LBE also supporting NK service to 5 cities.

smflyer wrote:

PIT's fees have been coming down steadily and are projected to continue to come down even with the new construction. Furthermore the airlines are onboard with the plan.

Fees just went up as the leases were terminated and reworked at the end of the year, My companies went up 25%. What did we get for that increase? Nothing unless you consider the excitement of the constantly failing baggage system and the ever failing people movers and escalators and the decrepit cargo faclities to be something. ACAA is making up the revenue lost by airlines such as AA cutting their number of gates by increasing the cost per square foot for those that remained the same or grew. Costs are not going down but the value to leaseholders most certainly is. They throw money to newcomers like its going out of style while raping long term tenants every chance they get. The airlines are onboard only because it has been shoved down their throat, not because they support it.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:16 am

Gate lease increase (?) vs landing fees decreasing. Need to do the math before claiming costs (total) have gone up.

smflyer

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:26 am

Flaps wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

smflyer wrote:

Fees just went up as the leases were terminated and reworked at the end of the year, My companies went up 25%. What did we get for that increase? Nothing unless you consider the excitement of the constantly failing baggage system and the ever failing people movers and escalators and the decrepit cargo faclities to be something. ACAA is making up the revenue lost by airlines such as AA cutting their number of gates by increasing the cost per square foot for those that remained the same or grew. Costs are not going down but the value to leaseholders most certainly is. They throw money to newcomers like its going out of style while raping long term tenants every chance they get. The airlines are onboard only because it has been shoved down their throat, not because they support it.

Landed in PIT just a few days ago and baggage came 30 mins late. DL awards 2500 sky miles per incidence, I doubt they're happy paying increased fees to the airport and miles to their passengers.

Rack up those free sky miles Delta fliers of PIT!

flyPIT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 am

Radio interview with Rich Fitzgerald about Via Air and prioritizing air service development if the wins another term (which he will). I must say, as far as politicians go he seems fairly knowledgeable about the industry.
https://kdkaradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/pittsburgh-airports-rich-fitzgerald
FLYi

KPITK

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 am

Word is Trego Dugan has some new Kloaders and pushbacks at PIT. Haven’t seen them yet, but this seems to confirm the rumors that Trego is going to be BA’s ground handler.

On another note, what’s going on with WFS? Ever since Trego cane they got all the new passenger contracts and WFS has only has B6 and G4.

steeler83

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Does Via Air interline with any other airlines besides AA? Just wondering. After reading up a little on this airline, I'm not all that excited about it either. Sun Country would have been a nicer add...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Wondering if Sun country has't added PIT as there are enough low-cost, leisure airlines here. Their focus seems to be on vacation fliers.

flyPIT

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:26 pm

LBE traffic was up 0.5% and broke the 300,000 mark for 2018, which I find amazing. When NK started PIT a couple years ago I thought they would have left LBE by now.

Plans continue for a wider runway and expanding the terminal by 50%.
https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/14485556-74/wider-runway-2-millionth-passenger-eyed-at-arnold-palmer-airport-in-2019
FLYi

Gsasala

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:20 am

Does anyone know when the passenger count will be published? I'm really hoping we made it to 10 million

steeler83

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I doubt PIT hits 10 million passengers. If I had to guess, I'd say they did somewhere around 9.75 million. They were averaging around 8-10 percent growth each month, which equates to an estimate of 9.7 to 9.88 million pax based on last year's total pax count of 8.988 million.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PITexpress

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 pm

I think that the average Pittsburgher will not have heard of Via, nor will they be looking for flights on Via. While that may not help fill their flights, the flip side is that many passengers won’t be aware of the bad reputation (without doing some research). Here’s hoping it works out and that ACAA and/or Via actually advertises.

I think that’s a contributing factor in the lack of F9 service here. Few people know who they are or where they fly. I’ve seem plenty of Alaska/Condor billboards around the city, but no Frontier. As I pointed out earlier, I've seen a Frontier billboard in Harrisburg, PA, yet none in Pittsburgh.

ncflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 pm

So Frontier finds a formula for success in Cleveland and RDU and CVG and many other markets where they had no brand name at all either up until a few years back, but isn’t able to do so in PIT? I don’t get it at all.

There’s gotta be more to the story.

AaronPGH

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

It's true, Frontier has made zero noise in PIT and is fully drowned out by other carriers and routes.

ncflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

So getting media attention in PIT must be harder than getting it in NYC or LA? Really? Pittsburgh’s newspapers billboards and radio stations are fully booked?

Or is it the case that the airport authority cares more about the #destinations served rather than #people served on those 210 seat A321s that are filling up in other similar cities— albeit to destinations typically served by other airlines also.

Apologize for the sarcasm but I’m going with my theory— misplaced effort yearning for a previous era.

AaronPGH

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:17 pm

ncflyer wrote:
So getting media attention in PIT must be harder than getting it in NYC or LA? Really? Pittsburgh’s newspapers billboards and radio stations are fully booked?

Or is it the case that the airport authority cares more about the #destinations served rather than #people served on those 210 seat A321s that are filling up in other similar cities— albeit to destinations typically served by other airlines also.

Apologize for the sarcasm but I’m going with my theory— misplaced effort yearning for a previous era.

Do you live in PIT? I do. I see the ads everywhere. In my social media feeds, and along the side of the roads. I see ads for Alaska, Condor, WOW (when it was a thing), Spirit to LAX, BA, all of these new destinations. I never see ads for Frontier. Whose fault that is is up for debate, but that's the reality on the ground. Maybe if Frontier didn't add and subtract destinations so quickly, someone could actually build a functional ad campaign around the routes?

Runway28L

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:55 pm

I went back and looked at Froniter's outbound data for all the routes they added in June 2016 and dropped.

1. ORD they just got flat out dominated by American and United. They consistently averaged loads in the 60s whereas AA and UA were in the 80s. That route got cut in October 2016.

2. ATL they were actually on-par with Southwest and Delta and they even seemed to be taking traffic away from DL for a bit. However, WN (and eventually DL) pulled ahead of them. There just wasn't enough room for three carriers on that route and F9 blinked first. Route also cut in October 2016.

3. LAS they were doing pretty well on, despite WN still absolutely dominating the route. Everything appears to have gone bad when Spirit started the route in Summer 2017. WN was completely unaffected; they were averaging loads in the low-high 90s while NK and F9 were dipping into the 60s and 70s. Again, probably not enough room for three carriers on that route, two of which being ULCCs. Route cut in October 2017.

4. MCO was also doing very well when F9 entered. They were getting loads in the 90s and outperforming WN for most of 2016 and Spring 2017. Again, it looks like things fell apart when NK jumped on the route. Even more strangely, just like with LAS, loads on WN shot up into the 90s. NK's loads also shot up into the 90s by September while F9 dipped into the 70s. Loads improved up into the 90s again across all three carriers in March 2018, then dipped into the low 80s except for NK. That's when F9 suspended the route for the entire summer. They averaged an 80% LF when they resumed the route in August. But since it's being axed for good this time, I guess it wasn't doing well enough this past Fall.

ORD and ATL just didn't make much sense for Frontier hence the very quick exits. LAS and MCO were hurt by NK entering both routes and they didn't really seem to come close to affecting WN much. DEN has been the only exception since that route has seen crazy passenger growth over the past 1-2 years and it's quickly become a top ten route from PIT. However, it's going to be very interesting to see how UA and WN both going 3x daily this summer affects F9. If PBI underwhelms this winter/spring and UA/WN cut into them on DEN, it's a real possibility we could be seeing a complete exit from them later this year.
Last edited by Runway28L on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

ncflyer wrote:
So Frontier finds a formula for success in Cleveland and RDU and CVG and many other markets where they had no brand name at all either up until a few years back, but isn’t able to do so in PIT? I don’t get it at all.

One big difference between PIT and CVG is that most of the F9 nonstop routes out of CVG were added prior to WN serving CVG, whereas PIT has had WN service for almost 14 years. In addition, WN currently only serves 3 destinations nonstop from CVG whereas WN has nonstop service to more destinations from PIT, CLE, and RDU.

Another big difference between PIT, LBE, CVG, and RDU is that NK doesn't currently serve CVG or RDU whereas NK serves both PIT and LBE in the Greater Pittsburgh market.

Even though WN has served CLE for almost 27 years, F9 has nonstop service out of CLE to a few destinations that NK and WN do not serve nonstop from CLE.

F9 also doesn't face any nonstop competition on some of its routes out of CVG, CLE, and RDU, whereas most of the destinations that had been served nonstop from PIT on F9 were also served nonstop from PIT by at least one competitor.

F9 has also recently added nonstop service out of RDU to destinations in the Northeast that aren't served nonstop from RDU on any competitors.

There is also currently more demand for WN service out of PIT than there is from CVG, CLE, or RDU.

Flaps

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 pm

KPITK wrote:
Word is Trego Dugan has some new Kloaders and pushbacks at PIT. Haven’t seen them yet, but this seems to confirm the rumors that Trego is going to be BA’s ground handler.

On another note, what’s going on with WFS? Ever since Trego cane they got all the new passenger contracts and WFS has only has B6 and G4.

The BA decision is supposed to be announced on the 15th. Although I suspect Trego is the front runner there, I believe that they were in need of a new loader regardless. Maintenance issues with their old one had them leasing county loaders at usurious rates last season.

Runway28L

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

The last WOW Air flight is now airborne.
https://www.flightradar24.com/WOW14M/1f2756c4

A real shame. It would be cool to see a return.

FWIW, Monday’s inbound was 95% full, and tonight’s was 89% full. Tonight was also the longest I’ve seen the international line down at customs in months. One of the flight attendants even promised a return to PIT. Perhaps just giving off a sense of optimism?

Small rumor is that a 2x weekly (Mon/Fri) return in June could be a possibility.

flyPIT

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:42 am

Runway28L wrote:
The last WOW Air flight is now airborne.
https://www.flightradar24.com/WOW14M/1f2756c4

A real shame. It would be cool to see a return.

FWIW, Monday’s inbound was 95% full, and tonight’s was 89% full. Tonight was also the longest I’ve seen the international line down at customs in months. One of the flight attendants even promised a return to PIT. Perhaps just giving off a sense of optimism?

Small rumor is that a 2x weekly (Mon/Fri) return in June could be a possibility.

I really hope so, especially with the surprising amount of O&D that was generated to KEF. Something has to be up with WW and PIT as Pittsburgh is still on their booking engine's drop down list, as well as their "our destinations" page. The other Midwest cities have long been removed from both.
https://wowair.us/flights/our-destinations/
FLYi

KPITK

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:21 am

Nice gesture by the airport providing lunches during the shutdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pittsburgh ... nches/amp/

Runway28L

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 am

Sept 2018 Domestic LF (West Coast)

PIT-LAX WN 80% NK 67%
LAX-PIT WN 76% NK 70%

PIT-SLC DL 87%
SLC-PIT DL 88%

PIT-SAN F9 54%
SAN-PIT F9 58%

PIT-SFO UA 77%
SFO-PIT UA 80%

PIT-SEA AS 76%
SEA-PIT AS 85%

Jun 2018 Intl LF

PIT-FRA DE 92% (299 lbs freight)
FRA-PIT DE 65% (66,152 lbs freight)

PIT-CDG DL 92% (8,592 lbs freight)
CDG-PIT DL 68% (60,897 lbs freight)

PIT-KEF WW 86%
KEF-PIT WW 79%

PIT-CUN DL 92% WN 86% VB 78% AA 72% G4 72%
CUN-PIT DL 92% VB 76% AA 72% G4 72% WN 63%

PIT-PUJ G4 89% WQ 80%
PUJ-PIT G4 91% WQ 51%

PIT-POP G4 52%
POP-PIT G4 49%

PIT-YUL QK 79%
YUL-PIT QK 57%

PIT-YYZ ZX 87%
YYZ-PIT ZX 76%

A couple of observations on the domestic side:

1. Awesome to see DL continues to do very well to/from SLC. IMO an upgrade to an A320 or B738 for the summer could be very possible.
2. SAN appears to be a total dud. Not pretty numbers there.
3. I expected SEA to be a bit higher, but those numbers still aren't bad at all, especially for it's first month.

And for the international side:
1. Outbounds to both CDG and FRA were very strong, but what's up with the inbounds being low? Same scenario like in May perhaps? But this was for an entire month. Huge discrepancy with cargo too. The low amount of cargo to FRA is troubling.
2. Another month of good numbers to and from KEF.
3. I never would've expected DL to be far and away the dominant carrier on CUN. Perhaps that explains the upgrade to a B739.
4. Outbound to YUL improved but inbounds still low, similar to FRA and CDG. Not sure what's up with that.

Will go through the rest of the domestic network soon.

Gsasala

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 am

Runway28L wrote:
Sept 2018 Domestic LF (West Coast)

PIT-LAX WN 80% NK 67%
LAX-PIT WN 76% NK 70%

PIT-SLC DL 87%
SLC-PIT DL 88%

PIT-SAN F9 54%
SAN-PIT F9 58%

PIT-SFO UA 77%
SFO-PIT UA 80%

PIT-SEA AS 76%
SEA-PIT AS 85%

Jun 2018 Intl LF

PIT-FRA DE 92% (299 lbs freight)
FRA-PIT DE 65% (66,152 lbs freight)

PIT-CDG DL 92% (8,592 lbs freight)
CDG-PIT DL 68% (60,897 lbs freight)

PIT-KEF WW 86%
KEF-PIT WW 79%

PIT-CUN DL 92% WN 86% VB 78% AA 72% G4 72%
CUN-PIT DL 92% VB 76% AA 72% G4 72% WN 63%

PIT-PUJ G4 89% WQ 80%
PUJ-PIT G4 91% WQ 51%

PIT-POP G4 52%
POP-PIT G4 49%

PIT-YUL QK 79%
YUL-PIT QK 57%

PIT-YYZ ZX 87%
YYZ-PIT ZX 76%

1. Awesome to see DL continues to do very well to/from SLC. IMO an upgrade to an A320 or B738 for the summer could be very possible.
3. I expected SEA to be a bit higher, but those numbers still aren't bad at all, especially for it's first month.

1. Outbounds to both CDG and FRA were very strong, but what's up with the inbounds being low? Same scenario like in May perhaps? But this was for an entire month. Huge discrepancy with cargo too. The low amount of cargo to FRA is troubling.
3. I never would've expected DL to be far and away the dominant carrier on CUN. Perhaps that explains the upgrade to a B739.
4. Outbound to YUL improved but inbounds still low, similar to FRA and CDG. Not sure what's up with that.

I think the reason why the outbound cargo is low is because of the Qatar cargo service, it's probably easier to send cargo to Luxembourg then ship out to the rest of Europe

ctrabs0114

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 am

Runway28L wrote:

Considering it was less than daily service and that it was F9 operating the flight, I can't really say that I'm completely shocked.

DL seems to have strong LFs on both ends of the route, but even so, I'm surprised that they've been this dominant. All of the carriers on PIT-CUN have strong traffic both ways save for WN.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2)
Next: DFW-SLC-SEA-DTW-DFW (DL; CS1, 738, 739)
On Tap: (TBD)

kpitrrat

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Flaps wrote:
KPITK wrote:

The BA decision is supposed to be announced on the 15th. Although I suspect Trego is the front runner there, I believe that they were in need of a new loader regardless. Maintenance issues with their old one had them leasing county loaders at usurious rates last season.

I hear Trego got the contract but they are going so low it’s unknown how they are going to make a profit. Probably because they have extremely low staffing and will try to do a job requiring “X” number of people with “Y” number. I heard BA requires at least 10 people to clean the A/C on the turn. I’m not sure if Trego has 10 people on payroll.

This is THE route the ACAA has wanted for how long? And they will put it in the hands of a company that sent every FRA flight out at least 2 hours late every night. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Runway28L

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:12 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
DL seems to have strong LFs on both ends of the route, but even so, I'm surprised that they've been this dominant. All of the carriers on PIT-CUN have strong traffic both ways save for WN.

I though G4 would be the dominant carrier since they have the Apple contract. I'm curious as to what makes DL do the best out of everyone.

kpitrrat wrote:
Flaps wrote:
KPITK wrote:

I hear Trego got the contract but they are going so low it’s unknown how they are going to make a profit. Probably because they have extremely low staffing and will try to do a job requiring “X” number of people with “Y” number. I heard BA requires at least 10 people to clean the A/C on the turn. I’m not sure if Trego has 10 people on payroll.

This is THE route the ACAA has wanted for how long? And they will put it in the hands of a company that sent every FRA flight out at least 2 hours late every night. Will be interesting to see how this goes.

Coupled with an already late departure time (2150), things could quickly get ugly for this flight on some nights.

I cannot believe the ACAA are going to go with these guys again. Absolutely ridiculous.

USPIT10L

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:04 pm

The ACAA has nothing to do with who gets these ground contracts.....it just goes to tge lowest bidder. IINM, Trego overpromises and completely underdelivers.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

Runway28L

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm

USPIT10L wrote:
The ACAA has nothing to do with who gets these ground contracts.....it just goes to tge lowest bidder. IINM, Trego overpromises and completely underdelivers.

I never knew that. Well then I'll take back part of what I said. But is there anything that could be done to fix these issues? Such as Trego being told to get their act together? Because the complains from passengers are just going to keep piling up.

Hiring more people would be a good start, if that's possible.

USPIT10L

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 am

I heard awhile back that Trego totally overpromised what they could handle to NK management when they bid for that contract. They probably routinely do it for every other one they work here also. Don't forhet theg are severely short staffed.....always have been.....I heard more than a few horror stories from a few of their ex-employees, too.

Flaps

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:51 am

USPIT10L wrote:
I heard awhile back that Trego totally overpromised what they could handle to NK management when they bid for that contract. They probably routinely do it for every other one they work here also. Don't forhet theg are severely short staffed.....always have been.....I heard more than a few horror stories from a few of their ex-employees, too.

There is a reason that Trego has won every single contract since they arrived at PIT. They do low ball the bids then over promise and under deliver. Its part of their game plan. They are simply attempting to buy market share. Its a gamble. One they may win or one they may lose. Time will tell. I for one can't see how they are turning a profit on any of their business at PIT, if they are in fact turning a profit on any of it. It all depends on how much they can afford to lose for how long.

As for hiring, that's a very difficult issue for most ground handlers. At PIT it is particularly acute. These are low wage positions and companies have to compete with a robust economy in the area surrounding the airport. Who wants to have to pass through security multiple times every day, trudge long distances from second rate parking and basically be treated like crap and as an afterthought by the ACAA, when they can get the same wages or better working at a mall, shopping center or any number of the thriving businesses and industries in the surrounding area? For those needing a bus, forget about it. Just wait until the terminal construction starts and the employee lots are eliminated, forcing people onto shuttle buses from who knows how far away.

People that do choose to work at the airport over the surrounding areas do so largely because they have some sort of interest in aviation or are seeking some form of flight benefits. Many of those that really aren't into the airline business fade pretty quickly away once the bloom is off the rose. As for the service providers, they have to keep their wages low to win contracts. They then can't raise wages during the term of those contracts because they were won on razor thin margins. Its a difficult juggling act for everyone in that corner of the industry. Everyone wants top notch service but no one wants to pay what it costs to provide it. In the end everyone settles for some level of mediocrity while paying lip service to improving quality. Some operators do it better than others but essentially that's the situation.

USPIT10L

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 am

Thanks....that sums up PIT's ground handling issues very succintly....

KPITK

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 am

USPIT10L wrote:

Agreed ACAA doesn’t get to pick who is servicing what airline, however the ACAA determines what companies can work at PIT. They can refuse to renew a companies rights to work here if they are constantly underperforming or not doing an apporiate job in the eyes of the ACAA so they do have some leverage.

Runway28L

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:36 pm

Really brutal 11 hour delay for this PHX-DCA diversion that arrived here last night.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/AA1634

About to finally depart PIT this morning.

dabpit

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

I wish PIT would have started an in-house ground handling unit like a number of airports in Europe and like DAB (who ranks as one of DL's top contracted handlers). ACAA has nothing to do with who wins the ground handling contract. Hopefully, they pull Trego's right to operate. Trego is a bottom feeder, I really hope BA did their research and didn't go with them just because they are the lowest.
Carpe Diem

Runway28L

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Sept 2018 Domestic LF

Southwest Airlines
PIT-ATL: 78% ATL-PIT: 65%
PIT-BWI: 74% BWI-PIT: 76%
PIT-MDW: 82% MDW-PIT: 72%
PIT-DAL: 66% DAL-PIT: 86%
PIT-DEN: 90% DEN-PIT: 86%
PIT-FLL: 90% FLL-PIT: 84%
PIT-RSW: 93% RSW-PIT: 82%
PIT-HOU: 82% HOU-PIT: 84%
PIT-LAS: 91% LAS-PIT: 86%
PIT-LAX: 80% LAX-PIT: 76%
PIT-BNA: 80% BNA-PIT: 85%
PIT-MSY: 58% MSY-PIT: 89%
PIT-MCO: 81% MCO-PIT: 79%
PIT-PHX: 88% PHX-PIT: 91%
PIT-STL: 92% STL-PIT: 94%
PIT-TPA: 88% TPA-PIT: 89%

American Airlines
PIT-BOS: 75% BOS-PIT: 76%
PIT-CLT: 74% CLT-PIT: 71.3%
PIT-ORD: 79.5% ORD-PIT: 77.5%
PIT-DFW: 80% DFW-PIT: 76%
PIT-MIA: 86.5% MIA-PIT: 86%
PIT-JFK: 77% JFK-PIT: 69%
PIT-LGA: 64.5% LGA-PIT: 65.5%
PIT-PHL: 75.5% PHL-PIT: 80.5%
PIT-PHX: 85% PHX-PIT: 83%
PIT-RDU: 66.5% RDU-PIT: 62.5%
PIT-DCA: 75% DCA-PIT: 70.6%

Delta Air Lines
PIT-ATL: 79% ATL-PIT: 79%
PIT-BOS: 76.5% BOS-PIT: 74%
PIT-DTW: 76.5% DTW-PIT: 80.25%
PIT-MSP: 80.5% MSP-PIT: 82%
PIT-JFK: 73% JFK-PIT: 80%
PIT-LGA: 66.5% LGA-PIT: 64.5%
PIT-SLC: 87% SLC-PIT: 88%

United Airlines
PIT-ORD: 88.3% ORD-PIT: 85.6%
PIT-DEN: 92% DEN-PIT: 93%
PIT-IAH: 86% IAH-PIT: 79.3%
PIT-EWR: 82.6% EWR-PIT: 69%
PIT-SFO: 77% SFO-PIT: 80%
PIT-IAD: 66% IAD-PIT: 67.5%

Allegiant Air
PIT-CHS: 72% CHS-PIT: 69%
PIT-VPS: 79% VPS-PIT: 76%
PIT-JAX: 87% JAX-PIT: 85%
PIT-MYR: 53% MYR-PIT: 63%
PIT-PGD: 90% PGD-PIT: 89%
PIT-SFB: 90% SFB-PIT: 89%
PIT-SRQ: 81% SRQ-PIT: 89%
PIT-SAV: 69% SAV-PIT: 63%
PIT-PIE: 88% PIE-PIT: 89%

Spirit Airlines
PIT-DFW: 88% DFW-PIT: 80%
PIT-FLL: 74% FLL-PIT: 75%
PIT-LAS: 72% LAS-PIT: 78%
PIT-LAX: 69% LAX-PIT: 70%
PIT-MYR: 78% MYR-PIT: 73%
PIT-MCO: 82% MCO-PIT: 84%

JetBlue Airways
PIT-BOS: 70% BOS-PIT: 70%
PIT-FLL: 72% FLL-PIT: 76%

Alaska Airlines
PIT-SEA: 76% SEA-PIT: 85%

Frontier Airlines
PIT-DEN: 93% DEN-PIT: 93%
PIT-MCO: 82% MCO-PIT: 78%
PIT-SAN: 54% SAN-PIT: 58%

Southern Airways Express
PIT-AOO: 38% AOO-PIT: 46%
PIT-BFD: 43% BFD-PIT: 44%
PIT-DUJ: 30% DUJ-PIT: 35%
PIT-FKL: 18% FKL-PIT: 21%
PIT-HGR: 30% HGR-PIT: 23%
PIT-JST: 30% JST-PIT: 32%
PIT-LNS: 58% LNS-PIT: 58%
PIT-MGW: 25% MGW-PIT: 28%

Clipper2Heavy

Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Sept 2018 Domestic LF

Southwest Airlines

American Airlines

Delta Air Lines

United Airlines

Allegiant Air

Spirit Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Alaska Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Southern Airways Express

Love the AS SEA #'s...good stuff. Question - what is UA using (equipment wise) for PIT-DEN?

flyPIT

Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 am

WN’s PIT-STL had the avg highest LFs, tied with F9s PIT-DEN, of all routes from PIT. A second PIT-STL is long overdue. I think F9’s PIT-DEN was only 3x weekly so it could have used more capacity as well but it looks like both UA and WN took advantage there for this summer. F9’s loads to MCO would have been through the roof if they used a smaller A320. I can’t believe they are dropping that one.
FLYi

Runway28L

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 am

Clipper2Heavy wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Sept 2018 Domestic LF

Southwest Airlines

American Airlines

Delta Air Lines

United Airlines

Allegiant Air

Spirit Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Alaska Airlines

Frontier Airlines

Southern Airways Express

Love the AS SEA #'s...good stuff. Question - what is UA using (equipment wise) for PIT-DEN?

PIT-DEN on UA is currently 2x daily A320s for the most part. That’s how it also was in September.

In May 2019, it’s showed 1x B738, 1x A319, and 1x A320 last time I checked.

Runway28L

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 pm

”Bayer Shutting Down All Pittsburgh Operations, Nearly 600 Employees Affected”

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/01 ... ting-down/

Cush

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Runway28L wrote:

You beat me to it! So, what do you all think this will do to the FRA flight?

Pittsburgh has really taken a beating lately with losing many large companies. First Heinz, now Bayer...
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

pitbosflyer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Cush wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

You beat me to it! So, what do you all think this will do to the FRA flight?

Pittsburgh has really taken a beating lately with losing many large companies. First Heinz, now Bayer...

Its almost like Pennsylvania having the second-highest corporate net income tax rate in the country is a deterrent to companies staying around. :stirthepot: :duck:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos